Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11
Re: Rolling Stones Gear Book
Date: February 14, 2014 23:37

grinning smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 15, 2014 16:35

This morning, I read through the excerpts in Guitar Player magazine and I have to say, for this non gear person, it looks to be a fascinating book. I wish I could post the article, but it's too many pages and my scanner wouldn't do it justice.

Babiuk's writing style is clear and conversational, even I could understand what he was talking about. Someone complained earlier in this thread that the book has some extraneous information in it, like the birth of Marlon, but I think it was a good move on Babiuk's part to sprinkle some of the bands personal history throughout the book. It brings the average reader in, otherwise all that amp talk would start to blend together into one giant Vox.

Bottom line, I'm going to order the book now. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-16 01:02 by latebloomer.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: February 15, 2014 21:48

Please do latebloomer, its gonna be a gas!
However, stick to Amazon.com as Amazon.uk (you're not in Europe are you?) has yet again delayed shipping: now to March 27 - April 4.
I've cancelled and ordered from the US.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 15, 2014 23:48

My order now is delayed to April 14, 2014.

The things I have read I thought all IORR members would get an early copy...

Mathijs

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 16, 2014 00:26

YOu can get it through Babiuk's website. Mine took less than a week.
You have to contact them regarding international orders.

[www.andybabiuksfabgear.com]

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 16, 2014 07:22

RobberBride
Please do latebloomer, its gonna be a gas!
However, stick to Amazon.com as Amazon.uk (you're not in Europe are you?) has yet again delayed shipping: now to March 27 - April 4.
I've cancelled and ordered from the US.

They just emailed to say mine been dispatched - maybe they have a limited supply and are filling oldest orders, or UK orders, first?

Posted by: King Bee ()
Date: February 16, 2014 12:29

Lastest message from Amazon.co.uk

Estimated arrival date: March 27 2014 - March 29 2014

WTF ?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 16, 2014 14:53

Mathijs

The things I have read I thought all IORR members would get an early copy...

Mathijs

grinning smiley

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 16, 2014 20:46

Mathijs
ChrisM
Mathijs
I am a bit baffled about this article...if this is the quality of the book -wich I did not see yet- I think it will be a huge dissapointment. The 'facts' stated here are just mere statements posted on this board, and there's quite some mistakes or ommisions. For example, that Framus bass was stripped by Wyman, it wasn't natural from the start (it was red and black), Micabre wasn't a gift from Clapton nor wasn't ever stolen from Nellcote, that LP isn't the LP Taylor bought from Keith.
Mathijs

Yeah, I think you may be right about the LP in the article. It seems they may have confused the Bigsby Burst on the cover with the one in the article. Keith used that one during the '72 tour and then Mick used it from '73 to '84 or thereabouts. Keith and Mick definitely used the Bigsby Burst at Alatmont and duing the '69 tour but the one pictured in the article? Hmmmm... Having said that, I know nothing about that LP prior to its appearence while cutting Exile just before the '72 tour. Anyone?

As the story has been told so far, and hence for what its worth: Ted Newman Jones presented himself to Richards in the spring of 1971, and basically was accepted right away as guitar tech and friend. After the burglary in July 1971, Newman Jones was ordered to go to the US and buy a dozen guitars. He came back with Tele's, Strats, LP's and ES-355's. Most of the Stones guitars then came through him -the LP's and SG Custom used on the Winter tour 1973, the Juniors etc.

I am still waiting for the book. But I actually do expect the book to be quite complete, as the number of guitars used live and in the studio is quite limited. Richards might own 3000 guitars, but he only used a fairly limited number.

Mathijs
Yeah, I have heard that story but did Ted actually pick up that LP on that trip? The earliest pic I've seen of that LP is from the LA recording sessions for Exile in 1972. More curious than anything as the Bigsby Burst is fairly well documented.

Posted by: batonrouge75 ()
Date: February 17, 2014 04:02

I met Ted Newman Jones 20 years ago when he was operating a guitar business in Austin, TX.

Ted told me that he purchased all of the guitars used by Keith Richards and Mick Taylor during their 1972 US tour from Gruhn guitars in Nashville, TN. in June 1971.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-18 19:48 by batonrouge75.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 18, 2014 02:06

Short excerpt in Premier Guitar Magazine

[digital.premierguitar.com]

[www.premierguitar.com]

Posted by: AussieMark ()
Date: February 18, 2014 06:14

My copy arrived today. It's going to be hard to read this book in bed!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 18, 2014 13:55

what a great book ! i just got my copy on sunday and what a joy it is to read this book .great info and photos . everybody who wants to know all about the stones gear should get there hands on this book . really great !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: King Bee ()
Date: February 18, 2014 15:49

Has anybody received their copy from Amazon uk yet ?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 18, 2014 18:35

batonrouge75
I met Ted Newman Jones 20 years ago when he was operating a guitar business in Austin, TX.

Ted told me that he purchased all of the guitars used by Keith Richards and Mick Taylor during their 1972 US tour from Gruhn guitars in Memphis, TN. in June 1971.

Gruhn Guitars is in Nashville, TN not Memphis, TN. Opened in 1970.
1970-1976 @ 111 Fourth Avenue North
1976-1993 @ 410 Broadway
1993-Now @ 2120 8th Ave S

I've never been able to afford anything there but I try to get in there anytime I get to Nashville just to look at the babies... Many older than me!

I've never met George Gruhn but some of the long-timers here in Knoxville tell stories of him buying up old guitars around the southeast USA building his inventory. My favorite story (not sure of the truth but I've heard it from multiple sources so I'll repeat it here) is of how, even with many collectable guitars in his vehicle, he never bothered to lock the doors... Apparently he was also known as a snake dealer/trader/handler and it was common knowledge that not only were there guitars/instruments in his vehicle, there were also snakes... And like some of the guitars, apparently not all of the snakes were in cases. At least that's what people were led to believe. Like I said, I can't prove any of this so take it with a grain or two of salt. I will say that I do trust my sources as reliable and believable who, if they didn't believe the story themselves, wouldn't have told it to me.

Sorry for the brief deviation from the thread's topic, We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: February 18, 2014 21:48

King Bee
Has anybody received their copy from Amazon uk yet ?

Arrived today in London. Its not light reading, is it... Looks good.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 19, 2014 03:18

batonrouge75

Ted told me that he purchased all of the guitars used by Keith Richards and Mick Taylor during their 1972 US tour from Gruhn guitars in Nashville, TN. in June 1971.
Ah, OK. Thanks for the confirmation. I have been to Gruhn's in Nashville a few times. Never knew he had a shop in Memphis...

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: February 19, 2014 04:36

This book has been fantastic so far. Not only for the equipment but the history of the band. I'm reading things here for the first time that I never read before. More in depth studio, tour and TV appearance tidbits. Bill Wyman's first prototype Vox bass is so cool. That cherry almost orange finish is so cool. Never seen it before this book that in depth. Lots of cool guitars. Always wondered what guitars were actually used for recordings and tours. Brian's Vox Phantom MK III "teardrop" is still the coolest guitar ever. Whoever hasn't acquired this book yet is missing out on a true gem. Going to get the Beatles gear next.

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: February 19, 2014 04:39

My wife has been teasing me calling it the holy grail. It is. The Stones had impeccable taste when it came to guitars.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: February 20, 2014 21:44

Got the book today from amazon.com and i'm not happy. Box were smashed and book was badly damaged, i've requested a refund from amazon. Parcel was very porly packed with nothing except the paper box protecting corners of the book. Do not buy this one from amazon.com.

Now i need some advice where to buy the book with safe and good shipping?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 20, 2014 21:53

JumpinJeppeFlash
Got the book today from amazon.com and i'm not happy. Box were smashed and book was badly damaged, i've requested a refund from amazon. Parcel was very porly packed with nothing except the paper box protecting corners of the book. Do not buy this one from amazon.com.

Now i need some advice where to buy the book with safe and good shipping?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Too bad. I've ordered a record once and the cover was partly damaged because the box couldn't stand the rain.

You can order your book directly with Andy, on his website: [www.andybabiuksfabgear.com]

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: February 20, 2014 22:26

Hello all,
I've had the book for about a week. I can't put it down! Fabulous. The historical writing is nice as it put things into context. One must remember, I don't think Andy B was writing just for Stones "experts". While we may find some of this information redundant, there are many many people to whom the information is new.

A few things standing out for me are:
I own some of the gear that the Stones used in the very early years. I love those guitars and this book has caused me to re-connect with them. I think someone on the board commented on how it was a miracle the Stones were able to make music with that gear but those guitars and amps are pretty good. They sound great.

The picture of the guitars are incredible! The JessLinks??!! I can't stop looking at them.

I was unaware of the custom acoustics used in the 70s.

I am really enjoying the parts detailing the Ampeg amps. It's funny how Ampeg (seemingly) embraced the Stones use of their product when the founder hated rock and roll!

The details about Charlie's drums are fascinating. I never really thought much about his kit(s).
Another thing I find interesting is that since the Voodoo Lounge Tour even though the Stones play some really "hot" guitars and amps, their overall live sound is rather sterile. They show one of Keith's amp rigs consisting of a tolex Twin, a Tweed High Power Twin and a small Ohau amp (I own the same).One would think Keith's sound would be more gritty but it isn't. In fact, I find his live sound to be rather thin.

I must say that up until Life, the last book out about the Stones that had me going was Bill German's book. Even the Stones 50th Anniversary book wasn't "unputdownable".

Stones Gear has blown most all the others away.
In my opinion, "Stones Gear" ranks up there with Life, Bill Wyman's and Stanley Booth's books.

Enjoy all!!

Date: February 21, 2014 09:49

I have found a few things wrong in the book, for example, Malcolm is not a 53 it's a 54.

Date: February 21, 2014 09:59

And i'm also pretty sure the red 355 wasn't used on Voodoo Lounge, as i remember it Keith used it live first time during Bridges but i might be wrong.

Date: February 21, 2014 10:06

JumpinJeppeFlash
And i'm also pretty sure the red 355 wasn't used on Voodoo Lounge, as i remember it Keith used it live first time during Bridges but i might be wrong.

The one he used on All About You (and GS?) on the B2B-tour?

I think you might be right.

Date: February 21, 2014 11:30

DandelionPowderman
JumpinJeppeFlash

The one he used on All About You (and GS?) on the B2B-tour?

I think you might be right.

Yes the red 1959 355, frequently used for GS on BTB tour.

Date: February 21, 2014 15:38

It wouldn't have hurt them to include some of the guitars in the index by their well-known nicknames (try looking up "Micawber" and you'll see what I mean). But that's a trivial thing - it's a fantastic book even if you are not into the fine technical details of amps and pickups - the quality of pictures is very good and for me at least there's a lot of new information, properly presented in the context of when and where all the gear was used. I'm enjoying this very much: worth the wait.

PS: the packaging from Amazon UK wasn't that wonderful either - left on my doorstep in a fairly flimsy cardboard container - fortunately out of the rain...

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 21, 2014 16:35

After being a little bummed at first, I'm really diggin' this book.

I didn't know that it was going to be this much history. Basically a Stones history book with a very heavy emphasis on the instruments. Looking at it from this perspective, it's amazing!!!

I find it very interesting on which amps they were using in the early days. Jumping back and forth between Fender and Vox amps.

I'm assuming that when the author mentions white tolex Fenders, he is referring to blonde Fenders?

They mention and show a Fender Concert at the Chess studios. Wonder how much they used it? Concerts can be picked up for a song and dance.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: February 21, 2014 17:45

MingSubu
After being a little bummed at first, I'm really diggin' this book.

I didn't know that it was going to be this much history. Basically a Stones history book with a very heavy emphasis on the instruments. Looking at it from this perspective, it's amazing!!!

I find it very interesting on which amps they were using in the early days. Jumping back and forth between Fender and Vox amps.

I'm assuming that when the author mentions white tolex Fenders, he is referring to blonde Fenders?

They mention and show a Fender Concert at the Chess studios. Wonder how much they used it? Concerts can be picked up for a song and dance.

Yea, if a song and dance is around $1500.00 US! cool smileysmiling smiley
I've been pricing Blonde, Blackface and brown tolex Concerts and for one in good condition you are going to pay around $1000.00-$2000.00 US. You can get Silverfaces and 80s models for around $400-$700 US.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 21, 2014 18:01

Any explanation to that thin tinny sound they got in 1990?

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home