Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 53
Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 28, 2009 03:14

I knew this was another pipe dream

Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 28, 2009 03:59

melillo
I knew this was another pipe dream

Hang on, melillo, let's give Highwire a chance to respond!!

(Edit: he apparently hasn't logged on since Oct 20, so asking him to respond is probably useless!!)

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-28 13:14 by drewmaster.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 28, 2009 05:12

Oh come on! How can anybody believe that Universal will throw all albums in deluxe editions on the market at the same time? There will be the normal editions all at the same time and, if at all, deluxe expanded editions will appear from time to time. Jagger has the last word in any expanded versions, so dont hold your breath.

Date: January 28, 2009 13:11

mickijaggeroo
Word is that we´ll see the first releases of the deluxe editions in the first quarter of next year. I´ts said that they will be similar to the U2 deluxe editions.

Hi Vilhelm--

Is that still what you're hearing? It seems improbable, since we are already well into the 1st quarter with no official announcement.

Drew

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 28, 2009 19:37

PS Mick has been in LA this month, so may be he is checking on progress?

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: January 28, 2009 19:50

Let me get back on that.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: January 29, 2009 14:40

Well, according to Google Mick is still in LA,
so you never know......

Date: January 29, 2009 15:28

mickijaggeroo
Let me get back on that.

Cool. I look forward to hearing the news.

Drew

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 29, 2009 18:23

It's almost February. No news.

First what of 2009? Couple of months? That would be next month. First half of the year? That gives us through, what, mid-June? Something like that. Through May.

There is nothing because the Virgin reissues are still selling for $18 a record and are still in stores. Yet they can't sell them - hell, used record stores can hardly sell their Stones albums and that's even at $4 a pop.

However, when they are on tour, everything moves much better. So...I'm sure Mick and Keith realise that there has to be something else on these reissues to be bothered with buying them again. If there isn't then there's really no point. They won't sound that much better if better at all.

Date: January 29, 2009 18:41

Actually I've been into a few HMV shops of late and the only Stones product on the shelves has been pre 71 ABKCO material and SAL.

Date: January 29, 2009 20:52

Whole lotta NOTHIN'!

The Last Nothing
Nothin' Jack Flash
Honky Tonk Nothing
Street Nothing Man
Nothing For The Devil
Dear Nothing
Jigsaw Nothing
Gimme Nothing
Nothing Rambler
Nothing Man
I Got The Nothing
Nothing Dice
Dance Little Nothing
Time Waits For Nothing
Nothing Rescue
Nothing Is Strong
You Got Me Nothing
Nothing Will Fly
Out Of Nothing
Streets Of Nothing
Nothing Justice
It Won't Take Nothing
One Hit (To The Nothing)
Too Much Nothing
Tie You Up (The Pain Of Nothing)
Undernothing Of The Night
Dirty Nothing
Had It With Nothing
Let's Spend The Nothing Together

Etc.....

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 29, 2009 21:09

man - you ARE in a mood, dude....

Date: January 30, 2009 01:43

skipstone
Whole lotta NOTHIN'!

The Last Nothing
Nothin' Jack Flash
Honky Tonk Nothing
Street Nothing Man
Nothing For The Devil
Dear Nothing
Jigsaw Nothing
Gimme Nothing
Nothing Rambler
Nothing Man
I Got The Nothing
Nothing Dice
Dance Little Nothing
Time Waits For Nothing
Nothing Rescue
Nothing Is Strong
You Got Me Nothing
Nothing Will Fly
Out Of Nothing
Streets Of Nothing
Nothing Justice
It Won't Take Nothing
One Hit (To The Nothing)
Too Much Nothing
Tie You Up (The Pain Of Nothing)
Undernothing Of The Night
Dirty Nothing
Had It With Nothing
Let's Spend The Nothing Together

Etc.....

LMAO!! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: January 31, 2009 02:23

jlowe
Actually I've been into a few HMV shops of late and the only Stones product on the shelves has been pre 71 ABKCO material and SAL.
Same here... You can't get hold of the 'old' Virgin issues here anymore. Universal will re-re-re-release them for sure, not all at once, but they're bound to give them the Deluxe treatment and drip feed them, honestly i'd rather they take their time and get it right. The Bob Marley and Who editions are special indeed!

Date: January 31, 2009 10:50

Alright. I grabbed Made In The Shade a couple months back and saw (not every one) the other Virgin albums. Haven't been in a record store for over a month. Who knows - it might not be every store.

Posted by: stonesmusicfan ()
Date: January 31, 2009 11:58

I CANT BELIEVE, how much we are exploited by our favorite band ?

There is so much other stuff "in the vaults" that merits release, that their LAME later period.

"They"...and I mean ALL of them... wonder "why" people steal the music ?

I say, TORRENT these releases !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-31 12:03 by stonesmusicfan.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 31, 2009 14:31

The fact that no news has emerged yet is not necessarily a bad thing. I think the Stones organisation is in disarray and nobody has been appointed custodian of their archive - a job which Bill would have done so well. The Beatles have an archivist in Mark Lewisohn although now that Apple head Neil Aspinall is dead their reissues programme has taken a backseat.
I'd say the Stones are well aware of the possibilities that a reissue programme affords them but that they are still mulling it over. They've never been the fastest of movers when it comes to releases, have they?

Date: January 31, 2009 14:43

LastStopThisTown
You can't get hold of the 'old' Virgin issues here anymore.

Yes, the Virgin CDs are disappearing from shelves, but you can buy the entire Stones library online at places like iTunes, which is how many people get their music these days. So there's less incentive for Universal to re-re-release the Stones on CD.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-31 14:47 by drewmaster.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 31, 2009 15:05

Don't undersestimate Jagger's competitive side : if crap bands like New Order get the lavish Deluxe reissues program he ain't gonna veto them.

Still there'll be the question of what will be put on these extra discs (an expensive reissue of "Some Girls" with 45 minutes of live tapes from 78 on cd2 WON'T prompt me to open my wallet...)

Date: January 31, 2009 15:32

It will be very interesting to see what Universal decides to do. I would argue that we are entering a brave new world where (1) the compact disc itself is a dying technology, (2) most people who like the Stones already own their catalog, and (3) the relevance of the Stones to young people -- the demographic that buys the most music -- is fading.

So unfortunately the reissues would appeal only to a fairly small market niche -- diehard Stones fans. What the hell was Universal thinking when they signed the Stones last year?

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-31 15:33 by drewmaster.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 31, 2009 16:11

dcba
Still there'll be the question of what will be put on these extra discs (an expensive reissue of "Some Girls" with 45 minutes of live tapes from 78 on cd2 WON'T prompt me to open my wallet...)

You're right but that's the point of a die-hard fan. But the combination of the regular studio cd plus a live cd from the accompanying tour was my idea when the reissues were discussed on another thread. Goat's Head Soup plus Brussels Affair etc. By this, they can re-cash their latest live dvds and even release non-cd tracks like (f.e.) Love Train, Can't Get Next To You.
Actually, there is something in the(ir) vaults that hardly anoyone of us has: What about the Little Boy Blue tapes an "anonymous" has bid for and a certain Chris Jagger was allowed to present You Can't Judge A Book By Looking At It's Cover?!

Date: February 1, 2009 09:28

CDs are not going to disappear. People will still buy them. Not gamillions of them but enough, over time.

Why the Stones don't bother with releasing unreleased material is obvious - why bother when they can just put out another hits comp or odd tracks comp? They've very good at doing that.

Watch - they'll do it again.

Posted by: Rufestone ()
Date: February 1, 2009 10:48

The Record is Back .

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 1, 2009 14:47

skipstone
CDs are not going to disappear. People will still buy them. Not gamillions of them but enough, over time.

Why the Stones don't bother with releasing unreleased material is obvious - why bother when they can just put out another hits comp or odd tracks comp? They've very good at doing that.

Watch - they'll do it again.

yeah but they dont make any money doing that either, they make money touring

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 1, 2009 15:33

"they make money touring"
Maybe the Universal deal is a "360 degrees" as record execs say in their patois : for us non-insiders it means the record label gets a cut on EVERYTHING, not just album sales : tickets sales, T-shirts, ads, you name it.

Date: February 2, 2009 15:53

Just a thought - could it be that the release of the Universal product will be held up until the Mick/Keith music publishing arrangements with EMI Publishing is concluded and they go to another company?
Not sure when that is though.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 2, 2009 17:27

dcba
"they make money touring"
Maybe the Universal deal is a "360 degrees" as record execs say in their patois : for us non-insiders it means the record label gets a cut on EVERYTHING, not just album sales : tickets sales, T-shirts, ads, you name it.

..........1989 and a leap of faith in Michael Cohl the likes of which we have never seen before that has created a touring mega money machine......a rock'n roll lottery if you will with each subsequent tour.......if you think they are giving Universal a piece of that....NO WAY!!!..they'd rather not ever record again than give up the income streams they have generated through corporate sponsorship, t shirts, videos and turnstile sales......they are as generic as Walmart now...big anthem set lists of the tried and true.....which is fine, I'm not averse to picking up items from Walmart like shaving cream from time to time.......and some of my CD's will need to be replaced eventually....

PS.if they were gonna do a 360 then they would have signed with Live Nation...like Madonna..etc...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-02 17:30 by Rip This.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 2, 2009 18:24

a 360 deal with Universal? never. the Stones want to take money from record companies, not to give money to them.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 2, 2009 18:32

I think, and this is only a guestimate, that they'd release these reissues along with a new album later this year, if they make one. It's very much like the Stones to do a new album, a new hits compilation, reissue the whole back catalogue and then tour it all to smithereens. I love it. Some don't. I don't know why....

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 2, 2009 18:45

Some dont love having the whole back catalogue reissued every few years - when they're trying to finance going to a few shows?

I wonder why.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1425
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home