Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: led zeppelin tour a flop
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 18, 2008 18:03

>These things always turn into a who's bigger, who's better argument. To me it is a no brainer. People can claim all they want that LZ is the biggest rock band in history or that they are bigger than The Beatles and Stones combined but that doesn't make it so. It just makes it clear that you are dumber than a box of rocks when you make those statements.

Who said they are bigger than the Beatles and the Stones combined?

>The public concensus (which of course you don't have to agree with) is that the Stones are better.

Public consensus can only measure who's more popular, which can realistically only be done by record sales or ticket sales. Wheres this public consensus that the Stones are 'better'? And why does it bother people so much?

>Every credible list where a multitide of musicians/critics/music insiders vote on the greatest artists of all time has The Stones ahead of LZ.

How do you define 'credible' - because it agrees with your personal opinion and mine? Some of them do, some of them dont. I see plenty of polls mentioned on here where Stones fans get themselves in a hissy fit because theyre outraged that their favourite band isnt rated higher and is behind someone whom they deem to be unworthy. Happens all the time.

>As far as bigger goes well then you get into some semantics. Yes LZ sold more records and had more commercial success in that area but there is more to being big than that. There are tours, there are singles charts and other factors.

Zeppelin didnt really release singles, which makes it an uneven playing field. They promoted themselves entirely differently to the way the Stones and most acts did. I cant believe anyone in this day and age takes something as successin the singles charts seriously. Westlife have had more #1 singles than the Stones and are something like one behind the Beatles. Mariah Carey is up there too. Who cares?

> If you are just going by album sales then you have to say that Bon Jovi is BIGGER than Dylan and we all know that isn't the case since Dylan is larger than life. That's what I mean by "bigger"

Well thats your own definition. You mentioned just above that public consensus, ticket sales and commercial success were important factors. Now youre saying theyre not. Sad as it may be, to the general public, Bon Jovi is 'bigger' than Bob Dylan is. Its a sad indictment of public taste, but the fact that Dylan is more of a legendary figure etc doesnt mean that much in terms of international recognition.

>That survey above was interesting though it was just a small sample. So more people knew a member of The Stones than knew a member of Zeppelin. I suspect that if that survey were increased to thousands of people it would be a greater victory for The Stones.

You dont know that until you try it for yourself - but again, why does it bother you or others so much? If you think (rightly) the Stones are better, then thats fine. You shouldnt need record sales. ticket sales or some dopey polls made by journalists who have space to fill and who cant be motivated to actually write something for themselves to justify your taste.

> As far as the song question it may mean that LZ has the most famous song (Stariway) between the two groups. I would suspect if you polled a thousand people and asked them to start naming as many RS and LZ hits that they can think of the average person would be able to name twice as many famous Stones songs as LZ songs.

As they should be. Led Zeppelin recorded eight albums in a period of around a decade and havent existed for 28 years. The Stones have recorded about 350 songs over 45 years and still tour all the time.

>My dad who doesn't listen to much rock and roll would be able to recognize at least twenty Stones songs- maybe five LZ songs and LZ is not the most played band on the radio. Not even top three on my classic rock radio station. The Stones, Who and Beatles are played far more than LZ.

Different sort of music. I would imagine most of LZ's songs are simply far too long for radio. Not to mention pretentious.

>The Stones along with Dylan are right behind The Beatles and Elvis as far as being the biggest acts in history. We can argue about who is better all day long

You wont get many people on here who are bigger Dylan fans than me, but I could probably name about 40-50 acts who are bigger and better known to the general public than he is. Being deemed to be better, important or significant doesnt mean that much in terms of fame and recognition unfortunately. I doubt too many people these days would know who Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry, Woody Guthrie or Muddy Waters were either.

Proof that you should never underestimate the ignorance of the general public.

Date: May 18, 2008 18:06

phd
I ain't so sure that Zeppelin would be # 2 behind The Beatles. I doubt they are more "universal". My example could be the worst, but marketing people, who I am not, do incline so : many more commercials with Stones songs. Another one could be, make a poll among and just ask : you are offered a ticket : would you prefer to attend a Stones show or a Zepp show.

Commercials?

That means nothing. A song cant be used or chosen for a commercial unless the person who owns the publishing allows it to be licensed.

Many artists would never allow their work to be used in that way. Some of them have no problem doing so.

Besides, the Stones' 60's music sounds commercial-friendly - so that helps make it more marketable.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: May 18, 2008 18:15

That's like saying who is more popular, Beach Boys or GreenDay

Posted by: glimmertwin81 ()
Date: May 18, 2008 18:21

BluzDude
glimmertwin81
try it out
go out and ask 10 people to name a member of the rolling stones
and ask 10 people to name a member of led zeppelin

then ask 10 people in which band mick jagger plays
then ask 10 people in which band jimmy page plays

1st Q - 7
2nd Q - 6
Different set of 10 people
3rd Q - 7
4th Q - 5

Asked all to correctly name a song by each group -

Stones - 12
Led Zep - 14 Interesting

both groups were ethnically and age diverse. I can't believe I did this, but that's my OCD.

so 7 + 7 = 12
and 6 + 5 = 14
?????????????????????????????????????????????????

have you attended a school ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-18 18:21 by glimmertwin81.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 18, 2008 18:22

well i am pretty damn sure that the stones are VERY comfortable with theyre place in history, and MICK JAGGER does not lose any sleep worrying about ZEP selling more records, the stones are a much more regimented band by far which is what the fans of a rock band want, they want them to WORK, as in studio , album, tour, which zep cant be counted on by a long shot

Date: May 18, 2008 18:25

glimmertwin81
BluzDude
glimmertwin81
try it out
go out and ask 10 people to name a member of the rolling stones
and ask 10 people to name a member of led zeppelin

then ask 10 people in which band mick jagger plays
then ask 10 people in which band jimmy page plays

1st Q - 7
2nd Q - 6
Different set of 10 people
3rd Q - 7
4th Q - 5

Asked all to correctly name a song by each group -

Stones - 12
Led Zep - 14 Interesting

both groups were ethnically and age diverse. I can't believe I did this, but that's my OCD.

so 7 + 7 = 12
and 6 + 5 = 14
?????????????????????????????????????????????????

have you attended a school ?

Read it again

The 12/20 and 14/20 polls were for a third question which was asked of both sets of 10 people who were asked the previous questions

Date: May 18, 2008 18:26

melillo
well i am pretty damn sure that the stones are VERY comfortable with theyre place in history, and MICK JAGGER does not lose any sleep worrying about ZEP selling more records,

And in that case, neither should his audience..... dont you agree?

Date: May 18, 2008 18:27

yes

Date: May 18, 2008 18:35

Exactly. Its pure penis-envy to even give a shit about it. The Stones are the best band in the history of the universe. You believe that, I believe that. We dont need charts, ticket sales, concert grosses, public vox polls, critics' lists or any crap like that to convince us.

Date: May 18, 2008 19:21

tomk
I think the problem for a possible tour like this
would be how to do it. Sticking them in Anaheim Stadium for
10 nights (which the could do easily) or Madison Square Garden
for 20 nights (which they could do easily) probably doesn't
sound like too much fun, especially for a band that seems to
want to keep the integrity entact and not be worried about a great payday,
which it would be anyway. And that's only two cities I mentioned.
Imagine adding the rest of the world.
Remember that tour Neil Young did in, what, 1975, where he
and Crazy Horse only played dumpy bars in Santa Cruz, California?
That's the only way I see them doing this, to keep the music
fun and enjoyable for them.
Like when a friend of mine wandered into a bar in New Orleans in 1969
and Delaney and Bonnie were playing to about 20 people,
and my friend said, "That guitar player looks and sounds like
Eric Clapton. It is Eric Clapton!."
Then again, Zeppelin were never a bar band. They could be, though.

10 nights in angel of anaheim ??
yeah in front of empty seats

maybe they can fill msg 3 nights
also u2 did that and even the scorpions
LOL

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 18, 2008 20:11

"you need to check your radio or your brain!
you hear led zep songs on the radio?????? which one?"

Wow glimmertwin81, you certainly do live under a rock.

CLASSIC ROCK stations play more Zep than Stones (or for that matter anyone else it seems). I have yet to hear the Stones or Zep on these new radio stations, this new current rock, whatever that crap is (I happen to hear it every now and then and am amazed at what's popluar).

Maybe GT81 doesn't listen to classic rock stations.

In the newest issue of Classic Rock Led Zeppelin is listed #1 for best live act ever. The Stones are at #9. The Who are rated #2 I believe.

In New Orleans I hear more Zep as well as Pink Floyd than Stones. I do a lot of travelling. All over the country I have heard more Zep than Stones. That's just the way it is. It's usually the same songs for each band. It's just Zep more than the Stones.

Look at any magazine poll or whatever - Zep 12 times out of 10 finish ahead of the Stones. Live shows, popularity, blah blah. You get the point. You should anyway.

Zep did less. The Stones have done a lot more and are still going and doing more. The Stones tour every 3 or 4 years or whatever the average is. I know reality and averages don't work realistically but that is a moot point - the Stones tour often.

The Stones do have a hard time selling out statiums. Not every show. But not every show is a sell out. 2 of the 3 shows I've been to were not sell outs. It seems that in New Orleans nobody gives a shit about them anymore. Voodoo Lounge was a joke. They haven't come back since. People used to give a shit, like for instance the record setting indoor attendance 1978 show at the Superdome (81,000) or the record breaking setting 1981 show (83,000) or the considerably lower 1989 show (65,000 and from what I've read partially because of the size of the stage? That doesn't make sense at all). But those days are over. They won't even bother to play the ARENA here. They avoid New Orleans completely.

Why I don't know. I would think because the last two shows they did here attendance was not nearly as, shall I put it, financially inspiring?

I don't recall the media 'making up' the 20 million ticket requests for the O2 Zep show, I recall the actual ticket company saying that. I don't know why they'd say something so incredibly huge to gain anything - they have nothing to gain by talking about anything. All they do is handle tickets. They were floored at the amount of requests for tickets.

Talking about numbers and whatever means nothing. It's just widely accepted that Led Zeppelin is a bigger band. If they do tour they will sell out everything. Partially because it's Led Zeppelin and paritally because it's probably the only tour they'll ever do again and partially because so many people love Led Zeppelin.

I don't get what is so hard to understand about that.Taking a poll of 10 people does not equate anything. That's as stupid and bad as how USA Today does their polls - they poll 350 people and the majority of the poll is what the COUNTRY thinks!! (???) I've never understood that. It seems a lot of newspapers do that.

I personally think you have to be very ignorant to believe that a Zep tour would flop because of what you THINK.

Especially when you compare it to The Rolling Stones.

Date: May 18, 2008 20:15

skipstone
live and let die

Date: May 18, 2008 20:19

Just trying to make sense of it all.

Of course, it means NOTHING.

It's quite entertaining.

Date: May 18, 2008 20:19

they both get played on the radio very much, its a toss up imho

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 18, 2008 21:33

melillo
they both get played on the radio very much, its a toss up imho

Not even close to being a toss up. Stones get significantly more airplay on the stations I listen to including probably the best classic rock station in the country. I think Skipstone is full of crap if he says otherwise.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: May 18, 2008 21:56

skipstone
In the newest issue of Classic Rock Led Zeppelin is listed #1 for best live act ever. The Stones are at #9. The Who are rated #2 I believe.

I had them #9 as well...this is my list from a thread a few months ago. (Greatest live acts in rock history [www.iorr.org] )

'll only give my opinion on bands that I actually saw live. In this order.

Led Zeppelin
The Grateful Dead
The Meters
Peter Tosh
The Who
The Allman Brothers
AC/DC
Paul McCartney
The Rolling Stones

Everyone else tied for 10th

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-18 21:57 by Bingo.

Date: May 18, 2008 22:13

Gazza
>These things always turn into a who's bigger, who's better argument. To me it is a no brainer. People can claim all they want that LZ is the biggest rock band in history or that they are bigger than The Beatles and Stones combined but that doesn't make it so. It just makes it clear that you are dumber than a box of rocks when you make those statements.

Who said they are bigger than the Beatles and the Stones combined?

Well someone said it in this thread- I didn't say you said it. I can't find it now so someone must have edited it out for fear of having the straight jacket guys show up at their door lol.

>The public concensus (which of course you don't have to agree with) is that the Stones are better.

Public consensus can only measure who's more popular, which can realistically only be done by record sales or ticket sales. Wheres this public consensus that the Stones are 'better'? And why does it bother people so much?

Well people are capable of giving unbiased objective opinions and taking personal preference out of it just as I would admit that the public perception is that The Beatles were better than The Stones without me neccessarily agreeing with it.

>Every credible list where a multitide of musicians/critics/music insiders vote on the greatest artists of all time has The Stones ahead of LZ.

How do you define 'credible' - because it agrees with your personal opinion and mine? Some of them do, some of them dont. I see plenty of polls mentioned on here where Stones fans get themselves in a hissy fit because theyre outraged that their favourite band isnt rated higher and is behind someone whom they deem to be unworthy. Happens all the time.

Well for example when Rolling Stone came out with a list of the 100 greatest artists of all time. No list is totally credible just as no list is devoid of all credibility but you can usually tell which ones are just a popularity contest and which ones were mulled over by the peers of the people being voted on. Some have more weight than others imo.

>As far as bigger goes well then you get into some semantics. Yes LZ sold more records and had more commercial success in that area but there is more to being big than that. There are tours, there are singles charts and other factors.

Zeppelin didnt really release singles, which makes it an uneven playing field. They promoted themselves entirely differently to the way the Stones and most acts did. I cant believe anyone in this day and age takes something as successin the singles charts seriously. Westlife have had more #1 singles than the Stones and are something like one behind the Beatles. Mariah Carey is up there too. Who cares?

Well I never heard of Westlife so that should tell you that one statistic is meaningless but if you put all the statistics together they paint a clear picture. How many number one tours does Westlife have? How many albums have they sold? Even if Zepp released more singles they wouldn't have had the success The Stones had. How did the singles they did release do? Any number one hits?

> If you are just going by album sales then you have to say that Bon Jovi is BIGGER than Dylan and we all know that isn't the case since Dylan is larger than life. That's what I mean by "bigger"

Well thats your own definition. You mentioned just above that public consensus, ticket sales and commercial success were important factors. Now youre saying theyre not. Sad as it may be, to the general public, Bon Jovi is 'bigger' than Bob Dylan is. Its a sad indictment of public taste, but the fact that Dylan is more of a legendary figure etc doesnt mean that much in terms of international recognition.

When I say bigger I mean more legendary/more important to the history of music etc.- as in greater. Record sales and other stats mean something but so does common sense. I'm sure we both agree Dylan is far bigger than Bon Jovi by my definition so it seems like we are just using the word bigger in different ways.

>That survey above was interesting though it was just a small sample. So more people knew a member of The Stones than knew a member of Zeppelin. I suspect that if that survey were increased to thousands of people it would be a greater victory for The Stones.

You dont know that until you try it for yourself - but again, why does it bother you or others so much? If you think (rightly) the Stones are better, then thats fine. You shouldnt need record sales. ticket sales or some dopey polls made by journalists who have space to fill and who cant be motivated to actually write something for themselves to justify your taste.

> As far as the song question it may mean that LZ has the most famous song (Stariway) between the two groups. I would suspect if you polled a thousand people and asked them to start naming as many RS and LZ hits that they can think of the average person would be able to name twice as many famous Stones songs as LZ songs.

As they should be. Led Zeppelin recorded eight albums in a period of around a decade and havent existed for 28 years. The Stones have recorded about 350 songs over 45 years and still tour all the time.

Good point but I would guess that The Stones would have more recognizable songs in just their first decade than LZ.

>My dad who doesn't listen to much rock and roll would be able to recognize at least twenty Stones songs- maybe five LZ songs and LZ is not the most played band on the radio. Not even top three on my classic rock radio station. The Stones, Who and Beatles are played far more than LZ.

Different sort of music. I would imagine most of LZ's songs are simply far too long for radio. Not to mention pretentious.

>The Stones along with Dylan are right behind The Beatles and Elvis as far as being the biggest acts in history. We can argue about who is better all day long

You wont get many people on here who are bigger Dylan fans than me, but I could probably name about 40-50 acts who are bigger and better known to the general public than he is. Being deemed to be better, important or significant doesnt mean that much in terms of fame and recognition unfortunately. I doubt too many people these days would know who Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry, Woody Guthrie or Muddy Waters were either.

Proof that you should never underestimate the ignorance of the general public.

Date: May 18, 2008 22:18

I kind of botched up the formatting on my above post. I am responding to Gazza inside of his quote- didn't want anyone to think Gazza is schizophrenic lol.

Date: May 18, 2008 22:22

the stones as the ninth best live act is a joke, they are easily in the top two, how can zep be number one, it makes no sence, dont you have to play live to be rated live

Date: May 18, 2008 22:22

If I'm so full of crap then why do I hear Zeppelin on the radio more than the Stones? You talk as if I'm making this bullsh*it up.

Like glimmerboy.

Date: May 18, 2008 22:26

skipstone
If I'm so full of crap then why do I hear Zeppelin on the radio more than the Stones? You talk as if I'm making this bullsh*it up.

Like glimmerboy.

You also said LZ was the biggest band in the history of rock so why should you be taken seriously? You hear what you want to hear.

Date: May 18, 2008 22:29

Why should I be taken seriously? WHear what I want to hear? I seem to hear JJF, SFTD, Satisfaction, Beast Of Burden, Angie, Miss You, Start Me Up and Brown Sugar on the radio. Just not as often as Zeppelin.

I don't understand why that is so hard to believe. And as far as my saying LZ is the biggest band in the history of rock, it's not like that is something new or original.

Date: May 18, 2008 22:31

Show me one objective person that says they're the biggest band in the history of rock. Hence the dumber than a box of rocks comment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-18 22:32 by FrankM.

Date: May 18, 2008 22:36

Sorry, I don't have time to go around the world to have someone talk to you about how Zep is the biggest band in the world. All you need to do is pay attention. What you or I think of the Stones doesn't matter. Rolling Stone magazine, lots of music magazines, musicians, artists, critics, music fans. It's all out there. I'm not speaking pro or con about it. I'm just stating observations.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 18, 2008 22:37

Who's Bigger, Stones or LZ, simple...put 'em on a scale and weigh them.

It's just like the spin of American politics, anyone could make a Valid argument based on a particular set of facts, the rest is just opinion.

Date: May 18, 2008 22:39

Probably Zep because their airship was bigger than the Stones airship. Well, the Stones airship actually LANDED in one piece though...

As well as their drummer.

Date: May 18, 2008 22:41

Well Rolling Stone magazine had them at number 13 behind three other bands on their list of the greatest artists of all time so what do you mean by bigger? Do you mean bigger as in more legendary? Then you are wrong imo. Do you mean bigger as in album sales? Did they sell more albums than The Beatles? So how are they bigger?

Date: May 18, 2008 22:41

the stones are the only band that gets strict news attention everytime they have a press conf to announce a tour, yes some bands get a blurb on the news but the stones have entire segments devoted to them, its a BIG story when the stones go out, at least thats what i think, the stones are the only band that gets news coverage like the president

Date: May 18, 2008 22:51

Date: May 18, 2008 22:55

Don't have time to read it Skip but so what? It's an article by one man. The list of the 100 greatest artists of all time was voted on by around one hundred musicians, music insiders etc. and Zep was the fourth band listed- certainly not a shabby spot, just not the best.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home