Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10
Re: led zeppelin tour a flop
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 15, 2008 07:24

tatters
Does anyone remember an idiot that used to post in ALL CAPS? Ferrante, or something like that? This GT81 .... I think it's him.

I thought that was Helter Skelter....Just kidding HS.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: May 15, 2008 08:31

Gazza
georgelicks
This is the most riduculous thread EVER.
A LZ tour will sell millions of tickets, fact.

LZ's catalog moved almost 2 million copies last year in U.S:
(Stones: 600k / LZ: 1.9m)

Thats not bad for a band whose only 2007 release was another compilation (which came out in November) and whose fans are, apparently, all dead...
WOW Gazza, I agree. Nothing speicial these day's, I would put about 90% creedence in your sonoptiuos.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 15, 2008 08:47

stonesfrk
Gazza
georgelicks

Thats not bad for a band whose only 2007 release was another compilation (which came out in November) and whose fans are, apparently, all dead...
WOW Gazza, I agree. Nothing speicial these day's, I would put about 90% creedence in your sonoptiuos.

Let's see, last time I checked, I still had a pulse

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 15, 2008 09:32

doubledoor
Led Zeppelin is one of the greatest bands ever. Of course they would sell out everywhere they go. They certainly deserve to be mentioned with the great acts, Beatles, Stones, Floyd, but it is hard to lift them above the other greats. When you talk about mere album sales you are in tricky waters, the Eagles have sold more than Zep, as well as Garth Brooks and Michael Jackson. Zep had 8 albums, the Stones have had 17 #1 albums. The Stones have had more than a dozen top ten hits, Zep 0. The Stones rivaled the Beatles in the sixties, and where already hugely popular when Zep burst on the scene and had an amazing run between 69 and 75. But the Stones held their own just fine during Zep's heyday releasing Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile, and Iorr. It was a pitched battle for Rock supremacy. And the Stones did not have all the nagging plagiarism charges. I find that when talking about bands with real hard-core rock fans, they usually prefer Zep over the Stones. But when you include the much more numerous, and less likely to buy things, casual fans, it is a Stones landslide. Women, and there a lot of them, certainly like the Stones more, as they have some great sing alongs, ballads, and dance numbers. When you you want to argue about popularity in Rock acts, you better be an Elvis or Beatles fan if you want to argue with a Stones fan. I love the best of Zep's catalog, what little there is of it, and would love a tour. When it comes to balls to wall Rock, no one is better. But the Stones Rock AND Roll.

I used to be in the record/CD wholesale business, and I can tell you
that LZ's albums sold way above any other band. It was astounding, really.
Although they had only 8 or so releases, the whole catalog sold
at an incredible level. For the Beatles, it was usually 1, Abbey Road,
and the White Album, usually in that order.
For the Eagles, it was always the Greatest Hits.
Pink Floyd, DSOTM, The Wall, and WYWH.
AC/DC, Back in Black...and that was it.
The Stones, Hot Rocks and Some Girls, and Let It Bleed were
the biggst sellers.
But the full LZ catalog was always a hege seller and still is.

Date: May 15, 2008 09:46

Erik_Snow
Glimmertwin81 glimmers again in the art of discussing.
The Stones alway's Glimmer in my taste! Glimmer a little wacked imo.lol....

Date: May 15, 2008 09:59

tomk
doubledoor
Led Zeppelin is one of the greatest bands ever. Of course they would sell out everywhere they go. They certainly deserve to be mentioned with the great acts, Beatles, Stones, Floyd, but it is hard to lift them above the other greats. When you talk about mere album sales you are in tricky waters, the Eagles have sold more than Zep, as well as Garth Brooks and Michael Jackson. Zep had 8 albums, the Stones have had 17 #1 albums. The Stones have had more than a dozen top ten hits, Zep 0. The Stones rivaled the Beatles in the sixties, and where already hugely popular when Zep burst on the scene and had an amazing run between 69 and 75. But the Stones held their own just fine during Zep's heyday releasing Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile, and Iorr. It was a pitched battle for Rock supremacy. And the Stones did not have all the nagging plagiarism charges. I find that when talking about bands with real hard-core rock fans, they usually prefer Zep over the Stones. But when you include the much more numerous, and less likely to buy things, casual fans, it is a Stones landslide. Women, and there a lot of them, certainly like the Stones more, as they have some great sing alongs, ballads, and dance numbers. When you you want to argue about popularity in Rock acts, you better be an Elvis or Beatles fan if you want to argue with a Stones fan. I love the best of Zep's catalog, what little there is of it, and would love a tour. When it comes to balls to wall Rock, no one is better. But the Stones Rock AND Roll.

I used to be in the record/CD wholesale business, and I can tell you
that LZ's albums sold way above any other band. It was astounding, really.
Although they had only 8 or so releases, the whole catalog sold
at an incredible level. For the Beatles, it was usually 1, Abbey Road,
and the White Album, usually in that order.
For the Eagles, it was always the Greatest Hits.
Pink Floyd, DSOTM, The Wall, and WYWH.
AC/DC, Back in Black...and that was it.
The Stones, Hot Rocks and Some Girls, and Let It Bleed were
the biggst sellers.
But the full LZ catalog was always a hege seller and still is.
Toml, there is no sales yet is there? I think Zep Fan's are @#$%&!

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 15, 2008 10:08

156 Hammer of the Gods - The Led Zeppelin Experience Capital One Bank Theatre at Westbury
Westbury, N.Y.
April 18, 2008
$84,120
1,665 /
1 /
$59, $49
Live Nation

Even a Led Zeppelin tribute act can pull in a sizeable crowd and outgross many real classic rock bands still on tour. There is a Pink Floyd tribute act that was selling out mid size venues recently.

Posted by: Hasse78 ()
Date: May 15, 2008 10:27

Sure... A LZ reunion would be a success. But I dont understand why. They have a couple of cool songs. But they are the one of most overated band ever. How they can have this mass appeal is beyond me.

Date: May 15, 2008 10:54

Hasse78
Sure... A LZ reunion would be a success. But I dont understand why. They have a couple of cool songs. But they are the one of most overated band ever. How they can have this mass appeal is beyond me.

They sold their souls to Satan.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 15, 2008 14:55

stonesfrk
Gazza
georgelicks

Not mine - I'm merely quoting GT81 who reckons their fans are mostly dead (which is an interesting angle as the Stones have been around longer)

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 15, 2008 16:21

My favourite all time Glimmertwin 81 quote is:

"because zeppelin mean nothing to humans these days"

Thats a homerun in any ballpark, thanks for the laughs.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: May 15, 2008 16:37

That´s a great remark. It also indicates that Zeppelin are still valid, only not to human beings. Anyway, this must be the last clips from when they still meant something to humans.

[ledzeppelin.com]

Posted by: glimmertwin81 ()
Date: May 15, 2008 17:01

tatters
Does anyone remember an idiot that used to post in ALL CAPS? Ferrante, or something like that? This GT81 .... I think it's him.

no baby
its me glimmertwin81
an iorr legend

Posted by: Mickerdicker ()
Date: May 15, 2008 17:03

A concertpromoter offert LZ over a billion dollars (!) to do a worldtour.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 15, 2008 17:07

J.J.Flash
BUFFOON! SEE MACCA IS THE KING! FERRANTE IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL. Man, that guy was a trip. He used to go to the Macca group and say "OH, NO!!! MACCA IS A FAILURE!!! HE CAN'T SELL AS MANY TICKETS AS THE STONES!!! MACCA IS ALL DONE FOR!!! and then he would go to THIS group and say "OH, NO!!! MACCA'S ALBUM IS BEATING THE STONES ON THE CHARTS!!! THE STONES ARE FINISHED!!!

The thing that was so amazing is that people would keep responding to what he said, so you'd get these incredibly long, totally pointless, and ocassionally very funny threads.

I think GT81 is Ferrante. It's just that now he's trying to throw us off by posting in all lowercase.

Posted by: glimmertwin81 ()
Date: May 15, 2008 17:11

I dont use caps and I do hate macca a lot
I never used another name here

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: May 15, 2008 17:30

It's unbelievable how much radio play LZ still gets. I would go to their show given the opportunity just for the fun of it, but I never ever listen to them on the radio and haven't in decades.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 15, 2008 17:36

Zep doesn't swing.
That's my problem with them.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 15, 2008 17:59

"an iorr legend"

Absolutely, for all the wrong reasons but bang on their kid!

Date: May 15, 2008 18:52

Hasse78

This makes no scense, how can anybody not like Led Zeppelin, it boggles the mind! It must be either Jealousy or a mental disorder, and if it's not either of those, then maybe, just maybe someone out there doesn't like the band. OK I admit my 78 year old father is not their biggest fan.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: May 15, 2008 18:59

Jimmy...one of the best ever.

I believe this thread is the 21st century version of Candid Camera.

Date: May 15, 2008 19:03

Bingo

I believe this thread is the 21st century version of Candid Camera.

Smile!

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 15, 2008 19:08

One person already brought up the real concern over LZ ability to hold up over the course of a long tour. One night is one thing, however an entire tour has to be grueling. The Stones are not given enough credit for their toughness.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: May 15, 2008 19:10

Shawn20
One person already brought up the real concern over LZ ability to hold up over the course of a long tour. One night is one thing, however an entire tour has to be grueling. The Stones are not given enough credit for their toughness.

They have other people to pick up the slack musically, as they slack. LOL

:just keeping in the spirit of the thread: tongue sticking out smiley

Date: May 15, 2008 20:36

Shawn20

Probably because most tours are a bit more grueling than 3 nights a week and in a private jumbo luxury jet.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 15, 2008 21:40

Shawn20

30 x 2-hour shows in 3 months, staying in luxury accommodation, flying by private jet, having lackeys cater to your every whim and never having to work 2 days in a row is not 'gruelling' by any stretch of the imagination....

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 16, 2008 00:33

Zep doesn't swing.
That's my problem with them.
Remember the long "boogie woogie" break in the middle of WLL live? Once in a while they would cut loose.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: May 16, 2008 00:36

BluzDude

This makes no scense, how can anybody not like Led Zeppelin, it boggles the mind! It must be either Jealousy or a mental disorder

I assume that's a joke. I like a lot of Zeppelin but I can do without the 30 minute versions of 5 minute songs... Does that indicate I'm jealous or that I have a mental disorder?

Maybe I just lack musical sophistication...I think that should be added to your list of "must be" explanations...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 16, 2008 00:41

I have to admit,in the 70s it was easier to hear 30 min versions of 5 min songs with "self-induced" mental disorders.

Posted by: colmywaykurtz ()
Date: May 16, 2008 02:14

ERC6761: Let’s talk about yardsticks here.

On what do you base your contention LZ is more popular? Album sales? The Stones would probably beat them there, in terms of total albums sold, even if LZ’s best-selling album (probably IV) did outdo RS’s best-selling album (Hot Rocks, maybe?).

If you base your contention on concert attendance numbers, here again, LZ probably did surpass them if we look at numbers for each band’s single most-attended concert. But in terms of aggregate attendance for ALL concerts performed, the Stones had to have surpassed LZ, just by virtue of the fact that they got several years’ head start on them and continued to tour long after LZ’s demise.

Now, I’m probably going to take some real heat for saying this, but I say that we could also measure popularity by persistence. Like say, whether not the artist(s) in question has become a regularly-invoked cliche in folklore.

By that yardstick, we could say Elvis is more popular than either.

Think about it. Millions of people believe Elvis is alive, that he has been sighted, and that a reappearance is possible. It’s such a persistent belief it’s worked its way into TV commercials and comic strips like the Far Side.

How many times have you heard that “Brian Jones lives“, or that “John Bonham lives”? Or, for that matter, “John Lennon lives”? I’ve never heard it once.

But “Elvis lives”? Times without number.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1616
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home