Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10
Re: led zeppelin tour a flop
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 14, 2008 10:06

"u2: will sell out europe
will not sell out the us if they play stadiums
bono will annoy people with africa, bad outfits, embarrassing shoes
larry will show that he turned old
and adam will show some overweight
the edge will be fine"

Priceless!

It like watching the freak show at a Circus.....

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: May 14, 2008 10:18

Led Zeppelin is one of the greatest bands ever. Of course they would sell out everywhere they go. They certainly deserve to be mentioned with the great acts, Beatles, Stones, Floyd, but it is hard to lift them above the other greats. When you talk about mere album sales you are in tricky waters, the Eagles have sold more than Zep, as well as Garth Brooks and Michael Jackson. Zep had 8 albums, the Stones have had 17 #1 albums. The Stones have had more than a dozen top ten hits, Zep 0. The Stones rivaled the Beatles in the sixties, and where already hugely popular when Zep burst on the scene and had an amazing run between 69 and 75. But the Stones held their own just fine during Zep's heyday releasing Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile, and Iorr. It was a pitched battle for Rock supremacy. And the Stones did not have all the nagging plagiarism charges. I find that when talking about bands with real hard-core rock fans, they usually prefer Zep over the Stones. But when you include the much more numerous, and less likely to buy things, casual fans, it is a Stones landslide. Women, and there a lot of them, certainly like the Stones more, as they have some great sing alongs, ballads, and dance numbers. When you you want to argue about popularity in Rock acts, you better be an Elvis or Beatles fan if you want to argue with a Stones fan. I love the best of Zep's catalog, what little there is of it, and would love a tour. When it comes to balls to wall Rock, no one is better. But the Stones Rock AND Roll.

Posted by: glimmertwin81 ()
Date: May 14, 2008 14:19

gazza I didnt know this is a zep board here
zeppelin bigger than stones
LOL

and when you say stairway is the most played tune in the US radios you......

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-14 14:35 by glimmertwin81.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: May 14, 2008 14:26

Welcome back with your invaluable insights.

Date: May 14, 2008 14:29

Its a sunny day, works going well and GT81 is the verge of another kicking!!!

Superb....

All I need know is Jenna Jameson to knock on my door and the days complete!

GT81.... your a boy that likes pain!

Proceed.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 14, 2008 14:32

glimmertwin81
beatles vs stones
thats useless like connery vs moore
but often discussed and a pain in the ass
as we all know roger is way better

but zep vs stones is nonsense

and gazza didnt know, that this is a zep board here
zeppelin bigger than stones
LOL
no number one hit and so on
and when you say stairway is the most played tune in the US radios
you only show you have never really been there

Date: May 14, 2008 14:36

ablett
Its a sunny day, works going well and GT81 is the verge of another kicking!!!

Superb....

All I need know is Jenna Jameson to knock on my door and the days complete!

GT81.... your a boy that likes pain!

Proceed.

Happy to oblige, Constable Ablett

Open the floodgates....

Date: May 14, 2008 14:44

Thanks Sarge!

Date: May 14, 2008 14:49

loving cup for you guys

Date: May 14, 2008 14:55

Awww, is that it???

I was expecting better than that?

You know, Ringo was the driving force behind the Beatles, Wham and their musical revolution.... that sort of thing.

Date: May 14, 2008 15:06

glimmertwin81
loving cup for you guys

"Two girls, one cup" for you !

Date: May 14, 2008 15:11

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 14, 2008 15:35

Again one of those useless debates.

I went to see Mr Plant last night and just blew my mind (like always). When he did "The Battle of Evermore" with Ms Krauss, for me was as magical a musical moment as any.

He also did "Fortune Teller" but I prefer the Stones version, but that didn't stoped me from enjoying it.

So judging for the long line to get inside the Rex last night I can only laugh about a Zep flop. Really funny.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 14, 2008 15:41

....wow leteyer, that sounds great. I can't wait to see him next month. Besides "Battle of Evermore" what other Zep tunes did they do? "Black Dog?"

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 14, 2008 15:45

...okay, I may have answered my own question leteyer, here's their set list from the Louisville show a couple of weeks ago:

Rich Woman / Leave My Woman Alone / Black Dog / Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us / Through the Morning, Through the Night / Fortune Teller / Black Country Woman / Hey Hey What Can I Do / The Rat Age (Burnett) / Bon Temps Rouler (Burnett) / Trampled Rose / Green Pastures / Down To The River To Pray / Nothin’ / Killing the Blues / Let Your Loss Be Your Lesson / When the Levee Breaks / The Battle of Evermore / Please Read The Letter / Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On) / Instrumental / Stick With Me Baby / One Woman Man / Your Long Journey

I love that song "Please Read The Letter," and well, all of them.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 14, 2008 16:17

I'm tempted to go see him just to hear Black Country Woman.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-15 04:18 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 14, 2008 16:50

Didn't know if he'd even do any LZ songs. That's alright, Mama!

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 14, 2008 17:34

No "When the Levee Breaks" in the Paris show but he did a very cool "I'm in the Mood" and yes, "Black Country Woman" was a big crowd pleaser...

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 14, 2008 17:35

glimmertwin81
this tour would be a disaster like the police tour

for sure some people would go and see them
but in the end they won't fill stadiums

what a load of baloney. they'd sell out stadiums on an unprecedented scale. in EVERY country they felt like playing

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 14, 2008 19:20

yeah well when u take 25 years between tours that is bound to happen

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: May 14, 2008 19:58

doubledoor
Led Zeppelin is one of the greatest bands ever. Of course they would sell out everywhere they go. They certainly deserve to be mentioned with the great acts, Beatles, Stones, Floyd, but it is hard to lift them above the other greats. When you talk about mere album sales you are in tricky waters, the Eagles have sold more than Zep, as well as Garth Brooks and Michael Jackson. Zep had 8 albums, the Stones have had 17 #1 albums. The Stones have had more than a dozen top ten hits, Zep 0. The Stones rivaled the Beatles in the sixties, and where already hugely popular when Zep burst on the scene and had an amazing run between 69 and 75. But the Stones held their own just fine during Zep's heyday releasing Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile, and Iorr. It was a pitched battle for Rock supremacy. And the Stones did not have all the nagging plagiarism charges. I find that when talking about bands with real hard-core rock fans, they usually prefer Zep over the Stones. But when you include the much more numerous, and less likely to buy things, casual fans, it is a Stones landslide. Women, and there a lot of them, certainly like the Stones more, as they have some great sing alongs, ballads, and dance numbers. When you you want to argue about popularity in Rock acts, you better be an Elvis or Beatles fan if you want to argue with a Stones fan. I love the best of Zep's catalog, what little there is of it, and would love a tour. When it comes to balls to wall Rock, no one is better. But the Stones Rock AND Roll.

Very well put. Every point well taken.

The Stones have had a mind-boggling 45 singles in the top 20 charts (combined US and UK) - only rivaled by Elvis and The Beatles. Zep had a short reign in the early/mid-1970's. The Stones outlasted Zep's era of relevancy and staged a spectacular 'comeback' in 1978 that lasted well into the early 1980's and capped their status as Kings of Rock and Roll. Why argue...? The Stones and Zep are both phenomenons, and there is no need for comparisons. The Stones defined what a rock and roll band could do. Zep defined what a hard rock band could do. Appreciate them both for what they are. Both bands blessed and blistered our ears and we are grateful eternally.

As far as a Zep tour not selling out...it has been said ad nauseaum on this thread...it would break all records if they decided to do it in any lengthy format. The pent-up demand and paucity of compelling live acts in this era would guarantee a smashing success.

Date: May 14, 2008 20:10

this is a zeppelin tour topic
not a zeppelin great or bad band thread

the difference between a stones tour and a led zeppelin tour is
that led zeppelin might fill some stadiums in the us
they will have problems in canada
they will have problems in s america
they will have huge problems in europe to fill stadiums
not in england but in any other country
do you really think they would get a stadium in zurich brussels vienna
prague budapest munich milan barca sold out ???
I do not think so
you can be sure if there might be a tour it will only be an arena tour for europe

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-14 20:26 by glimmertwin81.

Date: May 14, 2008 20:26

glimmertwin81 wrote:

that led zeppelin might fill some stadiums in the us

WRONG. THE STADIUM SHOWS WOULD BE ALL SELL-OUTS.

they will have problems in canada

NO PROBLEMS. SEE ABOVE.

they will have problems in s america

DEPENDS WHERE THEY TOUR. BUENOS AIRES AND RIO WOULD BE SELL-OUTS.

they will have huge problems in europe to fill stadiums

NONSENSE. GERMANY THE SCANDINAVIAN COUNTRIES AND SPAIN AND ITALY WOULD GIVE THEM SELL-OUTS IN A MATTER OF MINUTES.

do you really think they would get a stadium in zurich brussels vienna
prague budapest munich milan barca sold out ???

YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES.

you can be sure if there might be a tour it will only be an arena tour for europe:

WRONG. ZEPPELIN WOULD SELL OUT EVERY CITY YOU MENTIONED...AND ABOUT 20 MORE. DEMAND FOR THIS LEGENDARY ACT WOULD BE THROUGH THE ROOF.

THE QUESTION IS, WOULD THEY BE ABLE TO PHYSICALLY DO IT NIGHT AFTER NIGHT? COULD THEY KEEP IT UP FOR ONE YEAR TOURING AROUND THE WORLD? AND COULD THEY TOUR AGAIN IN 3 YEARS AND DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN LIKE THE STONES DO? I THINK THE ANSWER TO THOSE QUESTIONS IS NO.

ZEP IS FAR MORE FRAGILE - PHYSICALLY AND IN THEIR INTERNAL POLITICS - THAN THE STONES. ONCE THE INITIAL BUZZ IS SATISFIED I DON'T THINK ZEP WOULD EVER REPRODUCE THE MAGIC THE WAY THE STONES DO NIGHT AFTER NIGHT, WHENEVER THEY PLEASE. IT WOULD BE A ONE TIME THING - BUT THE ZEPPELIN TOUR WOULD BE A MONUMENTAL ONE TIME SUCCESS.

p.s. I don't mean to shout...I only use upper case to separate my text from Mr. Glimmer's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-14 20:27 by Turd On The Run.

Date: May 14, 2008 20:32

why should they fill a stadium in europe
this kind of music is dead in europe since 1977

50% of a stadium crowd might consist of event and not music fans

and for a stadium crowd, for an event you need stars
stars like mick like keith like u2
even jon bon jovi is a bigger star than any zep member

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-14 20:35 by glimmertwin81.

Date: May 14, 2008 20:43

Repeating inanities ad infinitum does not make them any less inane the 1000th time around.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 14, 2008 20:43

i would love to see pink floyd with the four orginal members (waters,gilmore,mason,and wright)hit the road at the same time as led zepplin and then compare box office receipts .i think people would be surprised that floyd with the VOICE roger waters would outdraw led zepplin at the box office.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: May 14, 2008 21:10

Turd On The Run
Repeating inanities ad infinitum does not make them any less inane the 1000th time around.
I'd like to hear george bush repeat this sentence. LOL

It would come out, something like this...

Date: May 14, 2008 22:01

The Greek
i would love to see pink floyd with the four orginal members (waters,gilmore,mason,and wright)hit the road at the same time as led zepplin and then compare box office receipts .i think people would be surprised that floyd with the VOICE roger waters would outdraw led zepplin at the box office.

the four original members?? Erm,,

Theres as much chance of the four original members of Pink Floyd playing together as the original members of Led Zeppelin doing so

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 15, 2008 05:35

Does anyone remember an idiot that used to post in ALL CAPS? Ferrante, or something like that? This GT81 .... I think it's him.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: May 15, 2008 06:03

BUFFOON! SEE MACCA IS THE KING! FERRANTE IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1593
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home