Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10
Re: led zeppelin tour a flop
Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: May 16, 2008 02:48

Not only is Elvis alive, but he also has left the building.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 16, 2008 04:18

You can't compare Zep and the Stones with concert attendance and records sold. Because although Zep was the bigger act in the 70s, the Stones have obviously played to more people period.

Hot Rocks as the biggest selling album for the Stones? That's not the Stones, that's an ABKCO comp. That kind of crap doesn't count. Zep has outsold the Stones all over the place. More than Some Girls, more than Let It Bleed, more than any of them. As far as top sales go.

Zep is still valid because of tribute bands and the like? Zep is still valid regardless of tribute bands; they are on the radio more than any other band. And they only have one hits comp out, not 10 or more like the Stones. People love Led Zeppelin. More people than The Rolling Stones. 20 million requests for one show. The Stones have a very hard time selling out a 70,000 stadium sometimes.

The Stones tour a lot. They were never really about selling 8 million copies - they just wanted to play live with some new songs. Zep played one song for 3 hours.

The Rolling Stones are - and will remain - THE best live act in the history of rock'n'roll. No matter how long they continue with the missed notes and bad notes and wrong lyrics and silly terrible duets of these past few years included because just as with any tour and any year there were bad moments and great moments.

Led Zeppelin will always be considered the biggest rock band in the history of rock. What die hard Stones fans think is a moot point. That does not denote the love for The Rolling Stones, that's just logic.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 16, 2008 04:39

the stones dont have trouble selling out sometimes because people dont want to see them, its because of the ticket prices, and trust me zep would have the same problem ,dont kid yourself, plus it helps taking 25 years off between tours and make the people starve, of course they will come , for the most part

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 16, 2008 05:57

Yes. Compared to Zep, the Stones tour beyond way too much!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 16, 2008 05:58

its called doing your job!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 16, 2008 10:15

texas fan
BluzDude

This makes no scense, how can anybody not like Led Zeppelin, it boggles the mind! It must be either Jealousy or a mental disorder

I assume that's a joke. I like a lot of Zeppelin but I can do without the 30 minute versions of 5 minute songs... Does that indicate I'm jealous or that I have a mental disorder?

Maybe I just lack musical sophistication...I think that should be added to your list of "must be" explanations...

yes, it was a joke, when I was younger I might have felt that way because in the 70's I lived and breathed LZ. But yes I respect that everyone has different musical tastes.

...and there was a third option, just not caring for their music.

Posted by: glimmertwin81 ()
Date: May 16, 2008 13:12

skipstone
You can't compare Zep and the Stones with concert attendance and records sold. Because although Zep was the bigger act in the 70s, the Stones have obviously played to more people period.

Hot Rocks as the biggest selling album for the Stones? That's not the Stones, that's an ABKCO comp. That kind of crap doesn't count. Zep has outsold the Stones all over the place. More than Some Girls, more than Let It Bleed, more than any of them. As far as top sales go.

Zep is still valid because of tribute bands and the like? Zep is still valid regardless of tribute bands; they are on the radio more than any other band. And they only have one hits comp out, not 10 or more like the Stones. People love Led Zeppelin. More people than The Rolling Stones. 20 million requests for one show. The Stones have a very hard time selling out a 70,000 stadium sometimes.

The Stones tour a lot. They were never really about selling 8 million copies - they just wanted to play live with some new songs. Zep played one song for 3 hours.

The Rolling Stones are - and will remain - THE best live act in the history of rock'n'roll. No matter how long they continue with the missed notes and bad notes and wrong lyrics and silly terrible duets of these past few years included because just as with any tour and any year there were bad moments and great moments.

Led Zeppelin will always be considered the biggest rock band in the history of rock. What die hard Stones fans think is a moot point. That does not denote the love for The Rolling Stones, that's just logic.

sounds kinda insane
you need to check your radio or your brain!
you hear led zep songs on the radio?????? which one?
70classic? the no number one station?
I have to admit I hardly hear any stones songs on the radio too
but I dont remember to hear any zep songs on radio
it is rubbish to say that they are played anywhere in the world anymore on radios

the stones do not have problems to fill stadiums
the past 20 years they played more than 5 world tours with extremely high tix prices
for sure that is a difference to one show in o2 arena in london
the demand of 20 000 000 tix for that show was bullshit and made up by the press
and again if the stones wouldnt have toured for 30 years
there would have been a way way way bigger demand

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 16, 2008 13:14

Ahhh, thats made my day. More wisdom from the wise one.

Open the cage, let the replies begin!

I love this thread......

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: May 16, 2008 13:47

BluzDude

yes, it was a joke, when I was younger I might have felt that way because in the 70's I lived and breathed LZ. But yes I respect that everyone has different musical tastes.

...and there was a third option, just not caring for their music.[/quote

Whew! Thank God! Seriously, once I dreamed I waited a LONG time and they came out and played one song for 45 minutes and left. Strange thing is it was Dance Little Sister.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 16, 2008 14:58

glimmertwin81the stones do not have problems to fill stadiums

LOL - so all those tarps on the last American tour, 2 for 1 special offers and stages being moved forward etc were a figment of the imagination, then?

the past 20 years they played more than 5 world tours with extremely high tix prices

Um..only the last two world tours had the 'extremely high' prices, but do carry on...

for sure that is a difference to one show in o2 arena in london
the demand of 20 000 000 tix for that show was bullshit and made up by the press
and again if the stones wouldnt have toured for 30 years
there would have been a way way way bigger demand

and if my aunt had balls, she'd have been my uncle....

Date: May 16, 2008 16:12

they had problems in the us because they played a 2nd leg there
outdoor shows in winter are not very popular ( a freezing night in chicago i remember) especially when you have seen the same show a year ago

in europe most of the crowd numbers have been much much higher than officially published because of tax concerns

for example belgrad
it was a sold out show but officially not
promoters never publish the real attendance
they would be stupid if they would do so

and gazza when you are sayin led zep is bigger than stones
how about you open a zep board?
would be cool
cause most of the humans dont even know their members
so you can do some good job for mankind

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: May 16, 2008 17:30

Great line!!?

Date: May 16, 2008 17:35

try it out
go out and ask 10 people to name a member of the rolling stones
and ask 10 people to name a member of led zeppelin

then ask 10 people in which band mick jagger plays
then ask 10 people in which band jimmy page plays

Posted by: Faye Slith ()
Date: May 16, 2008 17:51

who cares?

Date: May 16, 2008 18:15

glimmertwin81
and gazza when you are sayin led zep is bigger than stones
how about you open a zep board?
would be cool
so you can do some good job for mankind

Never mind opening a board, why dont you open your head and see if there's anything inside?

You're clearly such an idiot that you're unable to have the mental capacity to distinguish between something thats a fact and a personal preference, so you have to resort to the "call yourself a fan" horseshit. For what its worth, Zeppelin wouldnt even be in my top 50 favourite artists.

Michael Jackson is bigger than the Stones as well. As are the Beatles. As is Elvis. Does that mean they're 'better' ?

A bit of advice - never post on an empty head.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-16 18:41 by Gazza.

Date: May 16, 2008 18:21

well calling me an idiot is lovely
beer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-16 18:22 by glimmertwin81.

Posted by: Faye Slith ()
Date: May 16, 2008 18:22

ha ha...that's funny...and true...

Date: May 16, 2008 18:28

glimmertwin81
well calling me an idiot is lovely
beer?

Certainly, amigo. A cold beer is always welcome after an afternoon's jousting. smileys with beer

You might this little link of interest even if its a few years old now. Personally, if I never hear Stairway to heaven again in my life it wouldnt bother me, but its popularity appears to be pretty irrefutable.

[www.superseventies.com]

Date: May 16, 2008 18:39

cool smiling smiley

Date: May 18, 2008 03:20

glimmertwin81
try it out
go out and ask 10 people to name a member of the rolling stones
and ask 10 people to name a member of led zeppelin

then ask 10 people in which band mick jagger plays
then ask 10 people in which band jimmy page plays

1st Q - 7
2nd Q - 6
Different set of 10 people
3rd Q - 7
4th Q - 5

Asked all to correctly name a song by each group -

Stones - 12
Led Zep - 14 Interesting

both groups were ethnically and age diverse. I can't believe I did this, but that's my OCD.

Date: May 18, 2008 05:35

Shocking indictment that in two separate surveys in a country where the Stones are very well known that 30% of people asked cant name a single band member and the same number cant tell you what band Jagger is in..and that 8 out of 20 people cant name a single Stones song.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 18, 2008 06:02

Careful dudes or glimmertwin81 will turn ya's all inta Zepplin fans....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 18, 2008 06:38

Keep in mind I didn't look for RnR knowledgeble folks, I just asked people at work, ranging in age from about 25 to about 65. About 25% who I asked were from middle Eastern or African countries, but they are all US citizens, as it is required by my agency, (which means they have been in the US for at least 5 years). ..Almost everyone, it seems, was familiar with Stairway, but I guess many were too young for Satisfacion.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 18, 2008 10:18

I think the problem for a possible tour like this
would be how to do it. Sticking them in Anaheim Stadium for
10 nights (which the could do easily) or Madison Square Garden
for 20 nights (which they could do easily) probably doesn't
sound like too much fun, especially for a band that seems to
want to keep the integrity entact and not be worried about a great payday,
which it would be anyway. And that's only two cities I mentioned.
Imagine adding the rest of the world.
Remember that tour Neil Young did in, what, 1975, where he
and Crazy Horse only played dumpy bars in Santa Cruz, California?
That's the only way I see them doing this, to keep the music
fun and enjoyable for them.
Like when a friend of mine wandered into a bar in New Orleans in 1969
and Delaney and Bonnie were playing to about 20 people,
and my friend said, "That guitar player looks and sounds like
Eric Clapton. It is Eric Clapton!."
Then again, Zeppelin were never a bar band. They could be, though.

Date: May 18, 2008 10:21

tomk, check out my message to you

Date: May 18, 2008 10:40

BluzDude

Where at?
Sorry, I'm not much of a cyberpunk.

Date: May 18, 2008 10:43

tomk
BluzDude

Where at?
Sorry, I'm not much of a cyberpunk.

Did you mean on the Nashville thread?
How did you like the tour?

Posted by: phd ()
Date: May 18, 2008 10:56

I ain't so sure that Zeppelin would be # 2 behind The Beatles. I doubt they are more "universal". My example could be the worst, but marketing people, who I am not, do incline so : many more commercials with Stones songs. Another one could be, make a poll among and just ask : you are offered a ticket : would you prefer to attend a Stones show or a Zepp show.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: May 18, 2008 13:39

I think a lot of Stones fans are worried that Zepplin might outsell the Stones on a tour, so what, I am the Stones greatst fan and have been since the late 60's but during the 70's I also loved Zepplin and still do, I'd go and see them on tour no problem.

In my book The Stones are the greatest rock and roll band and Zepplin are also Great but why should we be worried about who is the best, just enjoy them both!

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 18, 2008 16:31

These things always turn into a who's bigger, who's better argument. To me it is a no brainer. People can claim all they want that LZ is the biggest rock band in history or that they are bigger than The Beatles and Stones combined but that doesn't make it so. It just makes it clear that you are dumber than a box of rocks when you make those statements.

The public concensus (which of course you don't have to agree with) is that the Stones are better. Every credible list where a multitide of musicians/critics/music insiders vote on the greatest artists of all time has The Stones ahead of LZ. As far as bigger goes well then you get into some semantics. Yes LZ sold more records and had more commercial success in that area but there is more to being big than that. There are tours, there are singles charts and other factors. If you are just going by album sales then you have to say that Bon Jovi is BIGGER than Dylan and we all know that isn't the case since Dylan is larger than life. That's what I mean by "bigger"

That survey above was interesting though it was just a small sample. So more people knew a member of The Stones than knew a member of Zeppelin. I suspect that if that survey were increased to thousands of people it would be a greater victory for The Stones. As far as the song question it may mean that LZ has the most famous song (Stariway) between the two groups. I would suspect if you polled a thousand people and asked them to start naming as many RS and LZ hits that they can think of the average person would be able to name twice as many famous Stones songs as LZ songs. My dad who doesn't listen to much rock and roll would be able to recognize at least twenty Stones songs- maybe five LZ songs and LZ is not the most played band on the radio. Not even top three on my classic rock radio station. The Stones, Who and Beatles are played far more than LZ.

The Stones along with Dylan are right behind The Beatles and Elvis as far as being the biggest acts in history. We can argue about who is better all day long.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1519
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home