Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 27
Re: Shine a Light - The Movie
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 9, 2008 19:35

>> withsssoul is ... <<

with sssoul is two words, thanks. (and i'm not "from Poland". i live in Poland. two different things.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-09 19:59 by with sssoul.

Posted by: triplelicks ()
Date: February 9, 2008 19:59

Video of Stones entrance - close to the spot where open-g, pauly and Beast were standing?

Video of fan with Stone flag - GERD?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-10 19:21 by triplelicks.

Date: February 9, 2008 20:03

>> about the spot where open-g, pauly and Beast were standing? <<

we were a ways to the right of whoever filmed that. sweet souvenir though!
thanks for posting it.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: February 9, 2008 20:38

We all owe you a debt of gratitude, Pauly,Beast, sssoul, open-g, piotr...thank you very much for your words, emotions, enthusiasm, and critiques. Your devotion and love of the band shines through brightly...you all made me feel as if I was there with you.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 9, 2008 20:43

thank you, thank you to the intrepid band of fans who attended this event and are posting here--I really wasn't too interested in the movie until reading your reviews! I think I'm most looking forward to "Champagne & Reefer."

truly sorry to hear about "Connection." You'd think the days were past when editorial "decisions" like that would be made. But I'm reminded of The Last Waltz and, despite all the acclaim that film gets, how much time the camera lingers on Robbie Robertson throwing BS all over the place. Scorsese is a sucker, I think, for aggressive personalities. I can see how keith's impishness -- or his sullenness, in the 60s & 70s -- would be lost on him.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: February 9, 2008 20:52

And here is the proper translation to the end of that article in German.

-->

And Charlie Watts? He is, as usual, the best-dressed, wearing a beige-coloured 'heron'. During the questions he has his chin in his hands and stays quiet. Sometimes he raises his eyebrows. And stays silent. Then the question comes, how do the Stones like themselves on the big canvas?

' Oh, it's cool ', says Charlie Watts softly. All the others laugh.

' Would like you to explain? ' asks Mick Jagger. He grins.

' I - I hate it', says Watts. ' I hated filming it. ' And that he hates to see himself on the big screen. Then he falls silent again.

Mick Jagger laughs once more. ' So far so good, Charlie ', shouts Keith Richards. One should always listen to the drummer...he is the one that, in the end, always sets the tact.

Date: February 9, 2008 21:03

>> truly sorry to hear about Connection <<

yeah ... maybe Scorsese just has to have some violence in every film ... sigh.
or maybe it's what Beelyboy said eight months ago,
when we still thought the film was going to be a "career-spanning documentary": [www.iorr.org]
the guy (Scorsese that is, not Beely!) just doesn't get it.

but! Champagne & Reefer is ... ohh man, they are just *flying!* power & glory, baby
and it *is* full of other beautiful moments to treasure as well, so ... so look forward hugely,
and enjoy the hell out of it, and keep your incense lit for miles of great outtakes/bonusses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-09 22:12 by with sssoul.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 9, 2008 21:29

Anyone noticed this indian jewelery on top of keith s cowboy hat...well i did!smileys with beer

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 9, 2008 21:56

with sssoul
yeah ... maybe Scorsese just has to have some violence in every film ... sigh.
or maybe it's what Beelyboy said eight months ago,
when we still thought the film was going to be a "career-spanning documentary": [www.iorr.org]
the guy (Scorsese that is, not Beely!) just doesn't get it.

I agree, which is why the film didn't seem promising to me until I heard your gang's reports. OK, he's a "great director," but rock music is not really his thing, it seems to me. I find him most convincing when he's talking about the movies and their history, also his neighborhood of Little Italy--he's done several spellbinding documentaries about both subjects. His forays into rock seem to be based simply on the fact of a shared audience. And the violence, I suppose, you're right.

Another example of his falling for a magnetic masculine personality is Liam Clancy in the Dylan movie, the first half, I think. The whole thing is derailed as Clancy--a minor figure in the Dylan story at best--spins tale after tale, as his Guinness glass seems to be emptied and refilled a few times.

Date: February 9, 2008 22:23

but after all is said & done: the film is full of splendidly beautiful moments
and was clearly made with great affection, and the Stones all shine shine shine

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 10, 2008 00:02

with sssoul
but after all is said & done: the film is full of splendidly beautiful moments
and was clearly made with great affection, and the Stones all shine shine shine

Yeah ... too true, and the Times liked it also.

[entertainment.timesonline.co.uk]

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 10, 2008 01:03

Rooster, I noticed that Indian choker/hatband on Keith.
Adding to others, I really thought he looked good with the
gray hair, and the hat was nice too.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 10, 2008 01:05

True!!

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: February 10, 2008 10:34

His eyes are sparkling too - dazzling.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 10, 2008 13:48

Adi Tyler
Anytime with sssoul and everyone, it's my pleasure.

Bloody hell, now they have replaced Charlie... Is this new guy any good? confused smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-10 13:49 by Doxa.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 10, 2008 15:18

triplelicks
I'd like this to diplay only once, but it keeps popping up twice.
Thanks for the videos.
It pops up twice because you pasted the embedded URL.
just paste the plain one with nothing else and you're good to go winking smiley

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 10, 2008 15:34

Pauly. That review was lovely. Thanks so much.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 10, 2008 16:39

JumpingKentFlash
Pauly. That review was lovely. Thanks so much.

Why thank you very much good sir, and thanks also to Turd On The Run for his kind words.

I actually forgot to mention a couple of things ... better late than never !!

I think it's at the end of All Down The Line; there's obviously a handheld camera just to the left of Charlie, and as he ends the song he looks straight at the camera and blows out a huge puff of air in "mock exhaustion" and then rolls his eyes upwards as if to say "god this rock n' roll stuff is bloody tiring, wish I was doing something else". This is the genius of Scorcese in my opinion; namely that the next thing you see is one of those ancient black & white clips of the whole band being interviewed sometime in the mid 60's probably (Charlie looks his usual misplaced and extremely unhappy self), and after Mick and Keith answer whatever the question is ... all Charlie can come up with when he's asked what HE thinks, is ....................... (long pause while he thinks about it) ............. "I really don't know" !! Coupled with the look on his face as he utters the words, the overall effect is hysterically funny. That little clip is just SO well placed in the movie; that is to say how it's woven into the "concert footage itself, there was an outburst of laughter in the cinema at that point - or yet ANOTHER of many outbursts of laughter I should say.

By doing things like that throughout the entire duration of the film, he actually manages to make their individual characters shine through. That fantastic irreverence and almost "schoolboy like" naughtiness that they periodically exhibit ... it really does come through loud and clear. For those of us that love them and (as much as is possible) "know" them lets say, it is THAT particular aspect of the film that will make it so funny and so appealing.

A great little touch at the end of the film just before the credits start rolling; you see one of them (can't recall if it's Mick or Keith) come of stage, shout for his towelling robe, put it on, start walking, the exit door opens, there's Scorcese frantically shouting instructions to some camera; he's shouting "up up up" ... and the camera duly pans upwards and into the night sky over Manhattan. It zooms outwards and outwards, and then no doubt courtesy of some other footage and/or creative editing you're left with a view of the whole of Manhattan from just offshore the southern tip of it. Finally, in the top right hand corner of the screen, there's the moon. I THINK it winks at you first, and then changes into a Stones tongue !! And finally the credits start rolling to Shine A Light !!

Funny or WHAT ?? We luuuuuuuuuuuuuved it !!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 10, 2008 16:58

Ah, very nice write-up, Pauly. thumbs up

...and what a cool gang we were, watching this movie together.
thanks for the blast

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 10, 2008 17:45

It sounds like a perfect ending for a great flick Pauly.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: February 10, 2008 19:22

open-g
triplelicks
I'd like this to diplay only once, but it keeps popping up twice.
Thanks for the videos.
It pops up twice because you pasted the embedded URL.
just paste the plain one with nothing else and you're good to go winking smiley

Danke open-g!

Date: February 10, 2008 19:23

[

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-11 02:16 by triplelicks.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: February 10, 2008 21:19

OK, I have some questions thats already maybe been answered on this long thread. The set list on the movie is missing "im free" and "shine a ligth"? as well as "connection" butchered. I heard SAL is outro and its original EOMS version? What other songs are missing from this show? Any hope they will all be on a Japanese disc?

Date: February 10, 2008 21:42

>> I heard SAL is outro and its original EOMS version <<

it's not the studio version - it's a concert rendition (or a rehearsal? i assume it was the Beacon rendition,
but the volume was down and the cinema crowd was applauding - anyway it was for sure not the studio version)
and it fades out to the "dedicated to Ahmet" moment before the credits.

[discreet edit - over to Gazza, below]

by the way, i hope it's been made clear enough in all the foregoing reviews/impressions, but:
there is no (0) concert footage "from the vaults" in the movie. almost all the archival snippets are interviews;
the few archival musical bits are well known & loved, for example the HYSYMB promo clip.
that was perfectly okay with me. (if/when they open the vaults i will want more than just little snippets)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-10 23:06 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 10, 2008 23:01

johang
OK, I have some questions thats already maybe been answered on this long thread. The set list on the movie is missing "im free" and "shine a ligth"? as well as "connection" butchered. I heard SAL is outro and its original EOMS version? What other songs are missing from this show? Any hope they will all be on a Japanese disc?

The Stones played 24 different songs over the two nights. 19 songs on the first night, with 4 songs being dropped for the 2nd show and replaced with 5 songs, making a 20 song set.

Songs played on night 1 only (4): Undercover, Shine A Light, Little T & A, Paint it Black

Songs played on night 2 only (5): Some Girls, Far Away Eyes, Connection, Honky Tonk Women, Satisfaction

Songs played both nights (15)Jumpin' Jack Flash, Shattered, She was hot, All down the line, Loving cup, As tears Go by,Just My Imagination, Champagne & Reefer, Tumbling Dice, You Got The Silver, Sympathy, Live With Me, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, I'm Free

Songs in the film (19) Jumpin' Jack Flash, Shattered, She was hot, All down the line, Loving cup, As tears Go by, Some Girls,Just My Imagination, Far Away Eyes, Champagne & Reefer, Tumbling Dice, You Got The Silver, Connection, Sympathy, Live With Me, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, Shine A Light

Therefore, in the film we know that Shine A Light comes from the first show (29/11/06) and Some Girls, Far Away Eyes, Connection and Satisfaction come from the second show (1/11/06), We still dont know which show was used for the remaining 14 songs as they were played both nights.

I'm Free is the only song played at BOTH shows which isn't in the film. The other unused songs are Undercover, Little T&A, Paint It Black (from night 1) and Honky Tonk Women (from night 2)

Date: February 10, 2008 23:10

>> Songs in the film (19) <<

technically 17 plus two fragments, plus the acoustic pieces over the credits.
but thanks for the complete rundown from the Beacon concerts, Gazza.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-10 23:39 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 10, 2008 23:10

what is HYSYMB? I'm really lost on this one.
Bottom line- is this movie as good or better sound wise, performance wise, and picture wise as AT THE MAX or LETS SPEND THE NITE TOGETHER. I have obviously excluded Gimme Shelter and Ladies and Gentleman( and no I am not asking for another Wood vs Taylor debate) because these fell into the golden period from 1968 thru 1972 and they can not top themselves at this point.

Date: February 10, 2008 23:20

>> what is HYSYMB? <<

Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing in the Shadows
so i should've given the full abbreviation - HYSYMB, SitS - sorry :E

whether/how it's better than other films ... i don't do rankings. this is a beautiful powerful concert film,
marred about 3/4ths of the way through by a piece of butchery was (for me) real hard to recover from.
the Stones are brilliant. one out of three guest performers was fantastic.
hollywood messed some things up. and it's beautiful anyway. hail hail Rolling Stones

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-11 00:36 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 10, 2008 23:37

so its definately a winner. Hey they edited like every song in LSTNT so if the only one screwed with is Connection I think we should feel blessed in a way.

Date: February 10, 2008 23:50

>> so if the only one screwed with is ... <<

Shine a Light is also just a fragment. and butchering Connection is a sin.
i know what you mean, but if something had to be butchered (i can't see the reason!)
they could have butchered something we already have miles of official releases of, not Connection.

(sorry: as i noted earlier, film is not my Thing; and i've had toxic overdoses of "film people"
at a couple of points in my life, so i don't tolerate certain "film people behaviours" very well.
but really: who the hell wants chopped-up numbers in a concert film?! and i don't mean "edited", i mean "hacked up" )

i will shut up now, but ... it is a sin.

and i do feel blessed anyway.

for example: let's hear it one more time for Mr Buddy Guy! what a joy it is
when the Stones have a guest musician who they look up to - who brings something really smokin to the table
and who elicits such gloriously raunchy heights & depths from them - ohhh they are conversin, baby!
signs & wonders ~ power & glory ~ Champagne & Reefer: amen :E

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-11 00:39 by with sssoul.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1151
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home