Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 27
Re: Shine a Light - The Movie
Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: February 12, 2008 00:27

Too bad "Midnight Rambler" didn't make it into the setlist, I would have liked so much to watch how Scorcese would have filmed the tremendous performance our boys usually deliver on that number...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 12, 2008 01:10

I think he'd have chopped the bejesus out of it to be honest, as they probably would have thought that the average 'casual' listener would have got bored with a ten minute long song.

Posted by: PiotrRSpl ()
Date: February 12, 2008 02:19

didn't have time to write anything earlier and though everything is said in previous posts I'd just add my 5 cents. First of all thanks paulywaul, beast, with sssoul & open-g for a great company in Berlin - it was splendid !

there are many beautiful moments in this movie as well as hilarious moments - you'll laugh your ass off several times, I'm sure, during first 15 minutes - kept in black&white format, showing us final hours before the show. The show footage contains some priceless momentos - highlights for me:
She Was Hot -> guitar driven with Keith & Ronnie up front, the energy that radiates from the screen and speakers is just AMAZING. Though it is not well known Stones song it got great ovation in cinema. Another guitar jewel is for sure Some Girls, beautiful version of Just My Imagination, Far away eyes -> with lovely Glimmer Twins moment, when Mick comes to Keith and they both sing it to one mic. And a beautiful work by Ronnie on that one as well.

Champagne & Reefer is going to blow you away completely. Both musically and in terms of interaction within musicians...you just gotta see it. And Buddy Guy's just amazing. Compared to other guest - Christina and Jack White...it's just different league. There's a great load of joy flying around and they all love it.

Though almost all the archive vidoes used in between video footage from Beacon are well known, most of it is put in good way...I can't believe somebody would watch it and just not love the Stones for their humour. There's a lot of laugh in those scenes. No matter if it's a footage from 60s, 70s or 90s.
Add an amazing performance from Beacon and you got it - Shine a Light -> the movie.

The sound is really good for most of it though there's no steady mix. For example as I pointed out She Was Hot has guitar up front in the mix, but for instance Tumbling Dice has Keith way to low in the mix, same for Live With Me. Sometimes also during the song some parts are becoming higher in the mix for a while (I understand that was done to underline the effect or something).

now, just quickly some lower points -> I can't see how somebody could find it attractive to cut Connection this way...it really hurts, just about time you're totally loving it...BAM...archival footage from NS Tour...than back again to Connection for few seconds and again BAM...it's not even done in proper way I guess as you can see at one point Keith playing Brown Sugar and you can actually HEAR it in background...and than BAM...back to Connection...
The other lower point is that 70% of Beacon footage is focused on Mick. It's almost like Mick Jagger & The Rolling Stones.

Now...reassuming...I didn't find anything SPECIAL in Martin's work over there.
I could even risk that people who shoot Stones dvd's could do it in similar way or maybe even better without focuing that much only on Mick. Of course there are a lot of beautiful close-ups, shots from different ankles but it's The Rolling Stones and their performance that make this movie special.

For us it can be just another wonderful concert footage but I can imagine casual viewer of the movie will be blown away no matter if he or she likes the Stones or not - the energy that's radiating from the screen is undeniable!

For the glory!!!!!!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 12, 2008 02:54

thumbs up

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 12, 2008 05:20

It seems like the only 2 biggest bitches about the film is the cutting of CONNECTION and too much MICK.

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: February 12, 2008 05:58

just can't help feeling that after two four DVD sets in last 5 yrs and now the SAL movie, there is the risk of overexposure of the band in its twilight years.....lets face it, despite a slightly changing selection of songs there's not a lot of fresh ground being uncovered in any of this new stuff

yawn, yawn

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 12, 2008 07:39

Piotr, good to hear from you!

Sounds like you mainly share the large enthusiams (and a little sadness) of Beast, Paulywaul, open-g, and with sssoul, with a few special tidbits of your own. That run of a few songs of As Tears Go By, Some Girls, Just My Imagination and Far Away Eyes sounds tremendous, with She Was Hot preceding those, before Jack White. Well, yes, it was good live.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-12 07:40 by angee.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: February 12, 2008 07:52

I dont get a good feel for this movie, cuts and Mick Jagger focus, probably a waste of time.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 12, 2008 08:05

There's a reason for the Mick focus. Remember that Scorsese said that the movie would include a study of Mick's movements.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 12, 2008 09:41

ERC6761
just can't help feeling that after two four DVD sets in last 5 yrs and now the SAL movie, there is the risk of overexposure of the band in its twilight years.....lets face it, despite a slightly changing selection of songs there's not a lot of fresh ground being uncovered in any of this new stuff

yawn, yawn

Yeah, it is true that their last tours are quite strongly documented - perhaps the 'forgotten' tours from tha past will have a 'democratic' treatment in future. But despite this, I'm really looking forward seeing the film at cinema - thanks for the reviews here! - I haven't even seen BIGGEST BANG DVD yet, so there is a special novelty in there for me...

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 12, 2008 09:44

JumpingKentFlash
There's a reason for the Mick focus. Remember that Scorsese said that the movie would include a study of Mick's movements.

Well, to be added to the other studies of the same theme: The Stones In The Park, Gimme Shelter, Ladys and Gentlemen...

- Doxa

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 12, 2008 10:43

>> the only 2 biggest bitches <<

smile: that would be me and ... ? (i am not actually all that big!) :E
no no i mean: excellent review Piotr, thanks!

the unevenness of the mix is notable, so ... thanks for noting it.
still, after reading what the gallant open-g wrote about the sound at the second screening,
i'm hoping that some of those "guitar-thin" numbers may sound better at home on my good old stereo.

>> I didn't find anything SPECIAL in Martin Scorsese's work ...
it's The Rolling Stones and their performance that make this movie special. <<

yeah - and isn't that an interesting effect.
all that major-league cinematic wherewithal and what they've discovered/revealed is:
hail hail Rolling Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-12 11:23 by with sssoul.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 12, 2008 11:05

Bashlets
It seems like the only 2 biggest bitches about the film is the cutting of CONNECTION and too much MICK.

Pretty much sums it up I'd say, there's not THAT much to bitch about all in all.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 12, 2008 11:11

>I dont get a good feel for this movie, cuts and Mick Jagger focus, probably a waste of time.

You have some interest in the Stones and yet this film (which you've not seen) is presumed to be a "waste of time"? Good Grief that's lame.

Date: February 12, 2008 11:11

ERC6761

yawn, yawn

Well it's just my opinion, but I'd stop yawning if I were you ... unless of course (a) you're getting "fed up" with the Rolling Stones altogether, and (b) are somewhat incapable of recognising a genuinely beautiful work of cinematography. YES it's further exposure, but NO - it's a MASSIVE MASSIVE departure from anything that's preceded it and in that respect it DOES constitute new ground.

Date: February 12, 2008 11:16

CindyC
I'm still a little upset that I didn't make it onto the movie. I had secretly hoped that Paulywaul was going to come back and say "there's a great shot of Cindy at the stage dancing in front of Mick Jagger'. But I guess, I'll just have to try again the next time Scorcese films a movie about the Rolling Stones.

Heya Cindy,

Know how ya feel. Moment of vanity perhaps, but I was secretly kinda hoping that I'd catch a glimpse of some fool up on the balcony jumping up & down and frantically waving an inflatable palm tree ............. cos that fool was ME !!

Maybe we'll make out guest appearances somewhere within the bonus material eh ....... ?

Look forward to its release in the States anyway, you're gonna love it. All the more special cos you were THERE !!

Date: February 12, 2008 11:24

Mailshot from www.rollingstones.com re its release in the UK ...............

in this morning Tuesday 12th Feb

===========================================================================

Stones Fans,

This April, The Rolling Stones will be in London's West End for the UK premiere of Shine A Light, the Scorsese-directed movie that puts you in the front row, lifts you up onto the stage, and takes you behind the scenes for an 'access all areas' backstage pass to the heart of the Rolling Stones.

On Wednesday, April 2nd 2008, the Odeon Leicester Square will play host to Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie, Marty (Scorsese, that is) and a host of other stars at the red carpet premiere. But it won't just be playing to a few hundred people in London. Instead, for the first time, the entire event will be beamed live, via satellite, to 100 specially selected cinemas across the UK, allowing YOU to be a part of it...

Not only will you get to see the film before anyone else in the country, you'll get to share in the excitement, be part of the magic, and take in the atmosphere of one of the year's most exclusive events. It'll be the next best thing to being there – just like the film itself.

To find out how you can be part of this once-in-a-lifetime event, visit www.shinealightmovie.co.uk/shinealightnight and give us your email address. As soon as the details are officially announced, we'll let you know how YOU can get tickets, and be part of this extraordinary and unprecedented experience.

Numbers will be limited, so sign up today.

Cheers,
RollingStones.com

Date: February 12, 2008 12:04

paulywaul
Bashlets

Pretty much sums it up I'd say, there's not THAT much to bitch about all in all.

okay, i'm really struggling here: i really do try to keep my public bitching to a minimum,
but i don't agree that those two flaws are "not much". even for hollywood, it shouldn't be hard to grasp
that a] the Rolling Stones are a band, and that b] no one wants hacked-up numbers in a concert film.
and if this was supposed to be a big "important" film "for future generations" those two pieces of gormlessness
are not very okay at all. (and yeah i know Tralala reported last year that Scorsese had warned us
that it would be a "study of Mick" - but just because he warned us doesn't mean it's a good idea.)

there are lots of say-hallelujah moments to treasure in this film.
there are two less-than-useless guest performers and a couple of distinctly phony bits.
there's Mr Buddy Guy kickin the Stones to glorious new heights.
there are several numbers where the sound + visuals are genuinely exciting.
and there are the Rolling Stones.

Date: February 12, 2008 12:22

with sssoul
paulywaul
Bashlets

okay, i'm really struggling here: i really do try to keep my public bitching to a minimum,
but i don't agree that those two flaws are "not much". even for hollywood, it shouldn't be hard to grasp
that a] the Rolling Stones are a band, and that b] no one wants hacked-up numbers in a concert film.
and if this was supposed to be a big "important" film "for future generations" those two pieces of gormlessness
are not very okay at all. (and yeah i know Tralala reported last year that Scorsese had warned us
that it would be a "study of Mick" - but just because he warned us doesn't mean it's a good idea.)

there are lots of say-hallelujah moments to treasure in this film.
there are two less-than-useless guest performers and a couple of distinctly phony bits.
there's Mr Buddy Guy kickin the Stones to glorious new heights.
there are several numbers where the sound + visuals are genuinely exciting.
and there are the Rolling Stones.

C c c c c c c c calm yourself lady sssoul, just pray for a "tamper free" Connection on one (hopefully one of MANY) of the bonus material DVDs. Think p p p p p p p p positive !! Yeah, agree about the guest performers, really not quite sure what they've brought to the entire thing, apart from (in my case) a desire for them to vacate the stage as soon as possible !!

Anyway, what with this morning's e-mail from www.rollingstones.com, I'm now gettin' all pysched about its UK premiere (& 100 other cinemas release) on April 2nd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-12 12:22 by paulywaul.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: February 12, 2008 12:25

I don't understand a bit about the Connection-onslaught. I checked the reviews on this site (Beacon reviews) and here's what they said about the song:

- Keith doing Connection as the second song in his set. I love this song, was hoping he'd do it and it was just a wonderful, rockin' version. In fact, Keith's one-two punch of You Got The Silver and Connection was hands-down the most enjoyable Keith set I've seen since he's been doing 'em. Having him lay off the guitar and focus on the singing has really been a smart move, and it looks like he's really free to enjoy himself. (Russ Roland)

- Connection (as Keith said, a song he did with “the Winos”, his solo band The Expensive Winos) replaced Little T&A, and it was amazing. It was fun to hear the Stones do it rather than Keith’s solo band, especially Charlie’s drumming compared to Wino Steve Jordan’s drumming. This was a neater, cleaner version compared to the Wino’s nicely sloppy hard rock version. Ron’s guitar was graceful as Keith boomed familiar chords. (Robert Bagel)

- I was penciling in T&A when Keith said, "this next one, ....haven't done it since...I think maybe the Winos....here"..... I was ready to come unglued !!!!...Connection !!!!.... They rehearsed it...and they brought it out !!!!!! And it sounded more Winos than Stripped outtakes '95. This was great. Really great backbeat and driving groove. Guitar from Ronnie and then Keith's first solo was so exciting. Keith was cool and in charge, even if he missed a word or two, he never let the song slip...it kept it's groove. It really reminded me of the Winos live version. I was ecstatic. My third big highlight of the show, coupled with Far Away Eyes and Charlie's one word "chat" that spoke volumes !!!!!!!! What a film this will be. (Cardiff Giant)

- Keith's part was another peak of the night, with the now traditional You got the Silver, with Ronnie on the acoustic guitar, and -- surprise! -- Connection, which drew the crowd nuts. The crowd by the way was screaming all night long. Standing in the lower balcony, you could see and feel the warmth of fans of all ages. Despite the apparent mishandling of the sale of the tickets, there were still 100% of fans (among which E Street Band's Steve Van Zandt smiling and appreciative or Benicio del Toro) in the audience, feeding the Stones with enthousiasm and energy. (Michel Werthenschlag)

So, as far as I can see Connection was really HOT. Now, what could possibly be the reason for cutting the song?

Date: February 12, 2008 12:36

<<< So, as far as I can see Connection was really HOT. Now, what could possibly be the reason for cutting the song ? >>>

There probably wasn't a good reason, or lets say - there WAS one according to Scorsese - it's just that most of us (and especially lady sssoul) can't for the life of us think what it could have been, and would prefer that the song had been left intact !!

Posted by: michrud ()
Date: February 12, 2008 12:47

So happy to see the boys and excited that Keith looks SO SO good!

Date: February 12, 2008 12:47

>> pray for a "tamper free" Connection on one (hopefully one of MANY) of the bonus material DVDs. <<

yeah, i've got the incense lit all right! the full Connection, the full Shine a Light,
plus allllll those extra numbers that were listed in the credits - that will go a very long way
toward making up for the unfortunate errors in the film itself.

>> Think p p p p p p p p positive !! <<

i am, i am! i loved our whole mad dash to Berlin and i enjoyed most of the movie enormously -
and i'd decided to delete most of what i wrote up there, since i really don't believe in bitching in public -
but now that you've quoted the whole thing, deleting it won't help!!

so all i can do is point out again: as a result of causes, certain "film person behaviours" bug me a lot.
unfortunately, hacking up that particular number is a glaring example of the type of "film person behaviour" that bugs me most.
and my only regret from the whole Berlin Escapade is that i didn't go in that bar afterwards
and let Scorsese know what i thought of it. so i'm feebly & futilely making up for that here.
i will stop, i promise.

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: February 12, 2008 13:02

First off a BIG thank you to all those intrepid reporters in Berlin for their contributions.

Secondly, like Pauly and probably thousands of others I got the same email from rollingstones.com. I've signed up of course though I did hesitate when they asked your date of birthday, wondered whether to knock off a few decades, in the hope of being considered pretty and young enough to be an appropriate Rolling Stones fan.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 12, 2008 14:54

I think that this Connection discussion is a bit exaggerated. Did anybody complain that those Brown Sugar, You Gotta Move and Wild Horses outtakes were not complete and that Street Fighting Man was interrupted by a commentary in the Gimme Shelter movie? As far as I remember, Love In Vain was also shortened and the Gimme Shelter intro missing. I am happy that all other songs are intact, Champagne And Reefer in particular (Scorcese could have butchered it too by cutting in some references to their blues roots!). Let's see what the DVD release will have on offer concerning bonus material, there's a good chance that the unbutchered Connection will see the light of day (if it was really played well throughout, that is!). And the soundtrack CD will most probably not have the butchered Connection on it because it simply does not make any sense. It will either be complete (again, if the performance itself is good throughout) or missing in action completely (if the performance is not that good).

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: February 12, 2008 15:01

i beg your (sssoul) pardon here but there's something i miss in the concept of "film person behavior" which seems to be... editing the film
As far as i can see a director can choose wherever to cut in and out
and, of course been reviewed for it
but, is the integrity of the performance as a whole or in any of its part the good measure for "a good editing" or a "bad editing"?
I dont think so
i understand the pain of missing a favorite (i do it for I am free being completely cut off) but hey what is the sense of having Martin Scorsese (and a whole bunch of great film artists) film the stones and wishing he should not "behave" like a film person. Which is mainly: cut in here/cut out there.
Besides, on the opposite I read reviews of the film 8sorry i dont have links here and now but you find them easily) that criticize the movie just for the opposite reasons. They say "a movie of a fan for the fans" because he left almost untouched the performance, "he (scorsese) sits back and watch (roll the camera)" 2you have a ticket for a stones concert and be happy about" and so on and so forth...
And I dont understand this either... like."Scorsese has not behaved enough as a film person..."
One could have made it different but what about the way it is? As a film.
One can say that the editing is poor but i dont think the interrupting of a particular song is "per se" poor editing. It depends. There is a balance of the movie as a whole that anyone (subjectively of course) can find or not.
The aim of Scorsese has been made clear from the very begininning of this project: he intended to "catch the moment of the performance" so criticizing him for not having put in the movie the in depth of a bio pic is at best naive: "It's all wrong!"
On the other hand. To catch the moment equals to "not to touch" the performance? i dont think that either. So the hatchet i think was to fall on something.
I am sorry sssoul that it has fallen upon Connection (and I'm free, and of course for someone else on Undercover etc).
It seems for example quite "right" in terms of "movie making" to have SAL on the margin of the flick. And since it is not the last song of the setlist...
baci

ps of couse i agree with you retired dog. DVD is a good medium in this cases to have both: the movie and the "untouched archive". Also we will see what the OST will be like. So I have a lot of hope for i'm free to make it, one way or another

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-12 15:15 by maumau.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 12, 2008 15:17

but, is the integrity of the performance as a whole or in any of its part the good measure for "a good editing" or a "bad editing"?
Well it's not like Marty made cuts in any of the other songs - but only in Connection.
Cutting just that one makes it jump out of the whole frame. I don't get it at all.
the movie would have lasted maybe 124 minutes instead of 122, hadn't he touched it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 12, 2008 15:32

Yep..would it have killed him to have shown the Keith interview BEFORE the song and then just show the song intact? Cant see how what WAS done can be said to be an improvement - it seems totally pointless.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: February 12, 2008 15:33

i see
seems it has to do with the "mick jagger obsession"...

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 12, 2008 15:33

open-g
Well it's not like Marty made cuts in any of the other songs - but only in Connection.
Cutting just that one makes it jump out of the whole frame. I don't get it at all.
the movie would have lasted maybe 124 minutes instead of 122, hadn't he touched it.

I understand your point of view, but what do we know about the reasons Connection got cut? In case the performance was not up to par throughout, Marty would never publicly admit it. I recall some not all-too positive reviews about Keith performing Connection during the ABB tour, so it is possible that the Beacon performance was not top notch either; of course I am guessing here. On the other hand, I am more disappointed about the absence of I'm Free in particular and also Undercover in the movie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-12 15:35 by retired_dog.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2374
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home