Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 27
Re: Shine a Light - The Movie
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 8, 2008 23:45

Yeah...nice review Paulywaul - a good read

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 8, 2008 23:55

Jocke
No ADTL?

oh, wasn't it mentioned?
well yes, All Down The Line is in the movie.

Beast
Hey open-g - it was my pleasure! Great to meet you and thanks for guiding us round Berlin. Enjoy your second viewing of the film and let us know how the sound at Urania compares.

Great reviews, you both wrote, Beast & Pauly.
It's always good when the cavalry comes to rescue.

I'll talk a bit about the sound at the Urania.
first of all, it helped to not stand in a cold and windy place at the red carpet for hours, freezing yer ass off.
I got there early enough to choose a good seat right in center of the film beam (word?) and right on axis with the stereo panorama - a few rows down from the rear speakers.
Easy to guess that the sound was much better - the room itself sounds better.
Urania is a ca. 800 ppl modern Cinema but doesn't have the patina of the ole' Zoo-Palast, which could be an extension of the Beacon theatre.

after the 2nd song or so in Zoo Palast, something happend with the sound.
I thought some power-amp might have blown, and there was a glitch and we looked at each other, remember?
well that didn't happen at Urania tonight.

Now the whole suround sound made more sense - but still it's like a round-about.
I do understand that you hear Lisa on the far left when looking at the stage and hear the audience in your back - but does the whole sound setting have to change with the angle of the camera?
I don't think so, not in a concert film.
It's highly destracting to flip audio sides when a great percentage of information is carried in music.
As a concert goer, you are used to see the different angles and images on the big screen, and you hear the sound from where your standing or sitting.
I prdict: If you listen to this soundtrack, as is, on headphones - you'll fall down drunk.

so now the audio CD makes a lot of sense too, doesn't it?
I'm looking forward to that because they can't get away without a decent stereo mix.

cheers

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: February 9, 2008 00:17

What we need now is some more pictures. I can hardly remember their faces.

Date: February 9, 2008 00:23

courtesty of Nellcote @ Rocks Off

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: February 9, 2008 01:36

I watched all these pics once more and I must tell you:Keith was never cooler than last night! Look at this guy, just amazing!

Posted by: stones1 ()
Date: February 9, 2008 01:41

Yes Keith is back !!!

Do you know where Stones are now? Still in Berlin? Until Berlinale end? Anybody know when Stones have leave Berlinale Palase yestarday? So many people was waiting many hours..

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: February 9, 2008 01:46

Seriously...what is this about? Keith is back? From where? He´s always been here...

Date: February 9, 2008 01:57

Back to his best days smiling smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 9, 2008 02:03

stones1
Back to his best days smiling smiley

based on a nice suntan? LOL

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 9, 2008 02:10

It is nice to see the tan, the gray hair and a slimmer Keith, I will say. For a while during the end of ABB, he was adding on the pounds. He is looking slim again...not sure what he's done differently. He usually looks heavier during the breaks and only loses the baggage while on the road....

Date: February 9, 2008 02:11

based on my emotiones.

Date: February 9, 2008 02:14

Justin
It is nice to see the tan, the gray hair and a slimmer Keith, I will say. For a while during the end of ABB, he was adding on the pounds. He is looking slim again...not sure what he's done differently. He usually looks heavier during the breaks and only loses the baggage while on the road....

yes, on end of tour he looks tired, but when He came out of limosine yestarday I was in shock. He looks 10 year younger, so relaxed, so cool, so great..

Date: February 9, 2008 02:16

Svartmer
Seriously...what is this about? Keith is back? From where? He´s always been here...

Yeah, he always says so - It's good to be here, It's good to be anywhere.

except in SAL - It's good to see ya - It's good to see anyone

haha

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: February 9, 2008 02:43

thanks for the great reviews pauly, beast, and open-g!

maybe i missed it but did any of you get involved with red-carpet watching, stones sightings, etc?

Date: February 9, 2008 03:42

We were at the rail and shouting out loud when they passed us in the limos...
but it wasn't the hottest spot - actually quite cold. lol
we were radiating though, as With Sssoul said.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-09 04:05 by open-g.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 9, 2008 03:46

Man that loooks cold....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 9, 2008 03:52

It was, Rock.

cold, cold winds....brrrrrrr

Date: February 9, 2008 03:53

how long did you wait outside like that?

and it was night time in those pics - what were the stones doing in all those day shots - was that the press conference that was earlier in the day? and where were you during that?

and, in the movie, can you tell that different songs are from different nights? i.e. change of clothes, etc.?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-09 04:10 by little queenie.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 9, 2008 03:57

Well worth waitin', one might reckon?
Did ya grab any Berliner Kindl beer glass, Pauly?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 9, 2008 06:30

open-g

I WANNA SEE A PIC OF BEAST/GLAMSARA !!!!!!!!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 9, 2008 06:32

little queenie
CindyC
open-g
I wouldn't count on that, LQ.
I was peering hard, but there's no slo-mo at the flix and the film is moving fast.
did you wear a dark tank-top?
JumpingKentFlash

I think she had on a sweater, but I had on a black tank top and I look a lot like queenie, perhaps you saw me!

lol! actually, i bought a semi-dark tank top for the 2nd show after roasting during the first show so it might very well be me... tongue sticking out smiley

Looks like a real BEEF is shaping up here!!

You 2 wanna get in the ring and duke it out??!!

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-09 06:33 by timbernardis.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 9, 2008 07:18

Beast and Pauly, thanks soooo much for your impressions. It does sound very good, especially the opening sequence of talk. I gathered from the preview that there were the funny bits. It is a bit disapointing to hear that the footage is overly-focused on Mick. I am planning to see it in NYC on April 4th with a bunch fans.

open-g, your impressions of the sound in a different theater are helpful.

LQ (and Paulywaul), there may be more film in the DVD package, including more of the fans who were there, so Maysles told me, but ya never know what will make the cut, if anything.

Date: February 9, 2008 08:48

timbernardis

Looks like a real BEEF is shaping up here!!

You 2 wanna get in the ring and duke it out??!!

plexi

no beef, i'm vegetarian...eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 9, 2008 08:51

Glad I didn't make the trip after all.Just to have a glimps of the car?

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 9, 2008 09:43

open-g

Who s that lady on the left Open G ? that aint Sista Soul ''right''?winking smiley

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 9, 2008 10:47

I stood in a different spot near the doors, with the big screen behind me, where it was also much warmer (relatively speaking, cos it was damn cold!). So I got to see glimpses of their heads and faces and could also see them when they walked through the doors. Also saw Patti Smith, Neil Young and Goldie Hawn.

Except for occasionally, I couldn't tell which night was which in the footage. If it is at all possible to figure out, I guess it'll be easier to do it from the DVD.

Thanks, open-g, for your sound review of Urania. Interesting. How was the audience? Were they as appreciative as the first night?

And good to hear from Angee that the DVD may come with "extras". That makes sense. Maysles interviewed a lot of fans just outside the Beacon on the first afternoon and they all had to sign releases. I didn't budge as I didn't want to lose my place in line but I looked on. So stuff like that would be very good to see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-09 11:00 by Beast.

Posted by: triplelicks ()
Date: February 9, 2008 10:49

Wonderful reviews!! Thanks paulywaul, Beast and open-g. Glad you survived the weather and could enjoy the film!

Here's the entire Berlinale press conference:
[www.arte.tv]

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 9, 2008 10:56

I only took one picture, because from our vantage point you couldn't really see the red carpet itself. We were right on the barrier, but it was just at the mouth of the little 30 metre long tunnel that the cars drove down before stopping and letting their charges out. We'd have had to gotten there a LOT ealier to be up against the section of barrier overlooking the red carpet itself ... like the position occupied by whoever was waving this flag:

Quite frankly, even if we HAD gotten there a lot earlier, it was sooooooooooooooo friggin' cold. Don't think we'd have lasted !!

Date: February 9, 2008 11:02

little queenie
thanks for the great reviews pauly, beast, and open-g!

maybe i missed it but did any of you get involved with red-carpet watching, stones sightings, etc?

We did get ourselves to the hotel where they were staying after the film, and in fact the bar was off-limits due to a private party ... namely THEIRS !! So we had a couple of drinks in another little bar just off the hotel lobby. Interestingly enough I did actually spend about 5 minutes in the private party bar (had to go in there pay the bar bill on my credit card), and whilst that was being done I did notice Martin Scorcese sat in the corner of the bar "holding court" ... he was surrounded by about a dozen and a half people and there was lots of intense conversation going on. No sightings of the boys, it was about 1:30 in the morning that I was in there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-09 11:57 by paulywaul.

Date: February 9, 2008 11:19

Just sittin' at home this Saturday morning reading IORR ... and hey presto look what the postman brings !!

(Hey there Beast ... there's one enroute for you, but I had a mail from them saying they'd sold out temporarily, so the others will turn up in 7-10 days time)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2150
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home