Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 14 of 15
Re: O2 London #3 - show reports & comments
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 29, 2007 12:15

sorry you missed the start of the show, but in all honesty, you
didn't miss anything you hadn't seen before.
great that you got into vip

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 29, 2007 14:40

Nice to meet you too Odeon73 !

Very wierd about the "row W" thing..

The floor at the o2 arena was so small. I sat down in the wrong section at first....the section behind my "real seat". I thought I had a real nice view - but after some time, I realised the mistake

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 29, 2007 15:46

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice to meet you too Odeon73 !
>
> Very wierd about the "row W" thing..
>
> The floor at the o2 arena was so small. I sat down
> in the wrong section at first....the section
> behind my "real seat". I thought I had a real nice
> view - but after some time, I realised the mistake

Have wrote to the 02 to see if they can explain the reason for this and might be tempted to write to ticket master as well. With bill wynman walking past on the floor section did not help matters at that particular time, but i wont tell them that in my letter.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 29, 2007 16:02

Actually you are wrong - that might be a re-birth:

from the Bill wyman thread:

>>I was at Sunday's show.

For the first three songs I thought, "What shitty and pedestrian bass-playing" - it really spoiled any Stones band-groove for me.

Then came Ain't too proud - and Darryl was fine for that.

She was Hot - I think their best momment all night - and guitars drums and jagger were quite tight and into it - I forgot about the bass.

After that - well they are not really a R&R guitar band anymore - they rely so heavily on Chuck and others, and Ronnie or Keith just turn it on intermittently - I just enjoyed the "event" - enjoyed seeing the stones enjoying themselves - but really took little notice of the bass-playing or bass player thereafter. He does a good "job" on Miss You, granted. But other than that he's functional. Worse rely, his on-beat style actually detracts from the-flow. Just TOO rhythmic.

They are not a R&R BAND without an integral R&R bass-player. Just have to accept that and enjoy them for what they are now - a rather inconsistent touring nostalgia act that require a bass player to complete the sound, as they now require horns, back-ups and Mr Marvel on keyboards - to complete their sound.

It was a fun gig - a spectacle - an occasion - a "show" - but not rock and roll - that's a BAND thing.

Wyman is what they are missing. It's all "Rock" now with no roll.

"You don't know what you got till it's gone".<<

I had a great time - but have no illusions that they are the greatest anything.

They have a marvellous frontman and a splendid drummer. But Keith and Ronnie are playing too much as showmen. I wish they'd ignore the audience and would themselves create the vibe, rather than following Jagger, Watts and Chuck.

When they were the Greatest band - Keith would lead start to finish. He would define and control the pace. This did happen quite often on the Licks tour (when he would frequently be let down by Ronnie). But he just doesn't bother much now. How hard can it be to sustain the Rhythm guitar throughout on Wanna Hold You. Why not sling an acoustic on for Silver. It's his song, dognabit.

And on three different nights in one week how difficult would it have been for Keith to have different sets each night - even if they were mainly all his old chestnuts (Happy, BTMMR, Slipping, All About You, Silver, Wanna Hold You).

And .... this is not a whinge .... but an observation ..... There was a third electric guitar playing on IORR (performed on B-stage). Thanks Blondie.

Edit: (additions from the Wyman thread, in reply to CousinLou):

>>I don't like Rough Justice, and I wouldn't call it (or anything the Stones did on Sunday) "awesome" - but yes, the guitars were very lively. Not a a bad experience. But the bass was a drag.

"it is worth it and should bring a tear right to your eye"

I think it was worth it, certainly was for me. But that doesn't stop me being critical of a Keith who can't sustain simple rhythm through one song, let alone a whole show, and who stops a solo (during sympathy) in order to shake hands with the crowd. It wasn't a bad solo either! There were glimpses of his genius. He was "on" on Tues and Thurs apparently.

Tear to the eye? If I were to cry, it would be because of what Keith has lost and what we are losing.

Nevertheless, a quite moving experience - to see the genuine emotion that Mick and Keith had about the last show of what, for them, is quite a mammoth outing. They have a right to feel proud and emotional, even if they aren't what they once were as a band.

It was obviously THEIR night, THEIR party and THEY had a good time

Now that they've made loads of money and have nothing more to prove, I wish they'd do some low-key gigs concentrating on Blues mainly. Take on Bill again. Play for the joy and get a band groove going, (i.e. no "spare parts"). A few special guests, why not? But plenty of Jagger on harp and Keith doing still what only he can do. Damn I'd like just to see them jam!

They need to stick their necks out a bit - instead of sticking to the FORMULAIC approach. All they are doing with it is showing that they can still "rock" at ages 60+. But so what.

"Get up, get OUT, step into something NEW"<<

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-29 18:39 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 29, 2007 19:05

Really Great photos; Jumpin' Kent Flash and Harm (and others)...
thank you so much for bringing back such great live shots way over to the states...seemed liked you had the sweetest time and great shows with great fans and it's wonderful to see all the pix, so ty again.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 29, 2007 19:11

Enjoyed your perceptions Four Stone Walls.

No, they are not the band they were in the Sixties. Life has to change and evolve.

What I respect most about the Stones is that music still matters to them. If it was just about the dough, they could have retired long ago.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 30, 2007 12:52

Actually, I do think it's mainly about the money. The more you've got the more you want. The more you have the more you need just keep at the same "level" you are at.

Mick can't generate his millions without the band. Nor can Keith without Mick.

I think they still enjoy gigging and I know Mick is very musically creative. But they stopped being a real working band (that enjoys quality studio-time together) ages ago. Possibly 1978-79 were the last times - with glimpses from 1989 too.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 30, 2007 14:22

Wuudy Wrote:
> Why the hell did you post this Papalaz1 and
> lamemodem2?!?!?!?! You know a lot of people here
> find it fun to follow the show as it progresses!
> There was absolutely no point in spoiling it for
> us!!!!

And you took the liberty of taking it from THE PLEXIGLASS -- it alone tells the future, you two are not its intercessors to the masses, that privilege is reserved for its high priest, namely

The Plexiglass

I might add, you may experience retribution from THE PLEXIGLASS or its high priest for this violation, this desecration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-30 14:26 by timbernardis.

Posted by: Jon Lasa ()
Date: August 30, 2007 21:10

Hi all.

Sorry about the delate.
I came back last night home from several days in London.

I have read all the reviews posted on this web site.
Thank you to everybody by their chronicles and pictures.

My pictures were taken from nearly the roof of the The Dome,
so, we can enjoy all the photos posted here better than mines.

About my review, in spite of after all it´s said and done. (B.Wyman was there, Keith and his cigarrette, Ronnie and the banana, the children in SFTD, Mick and Keith´s quotes and so on)

Anyway, I can say (is not my best review):

1) I didn´t like The Enemy, sorry about it.

2) The venue is brilliant but for the first time ever, from my upper tier position I could see better the stage than the big screen, because the bunch of amps, or whatever the sound system is called, hanged above the stage, prevented me for watching a part of the main screen.
All in all, at least on Ronnie´s said, there was another smaller screen suitable for people with side view.

3) I met people from England, Italy, Mexico, Sweeden and Spain. And just a question for all you, best fans: would have you like to fill the O2 in with 20,000 argentinean fans last sunday?

4) It was my unique 02 show, and third this tour. I enjoyed a lot, clapped, danced, sang and jumped as always, from the very first riff of Keith in SMU and beyond they faded away from the stage. By a few seconds, I also thouhgt it was going to be a second encore.

5) Highlight of the night, IMHO, She was hot. Everybody, the boyz included, were enjoying.

6) Very good Rough Justice, IORR and CYHMK (but from my position the sound of the harps missed at times).

7) I think people enjoyed very much with Satisfaction and Paint in Black.

8) And I felt very satisfied with all the show.

Hope see you all next tour.

You know, It´s only r&r but I love it.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 30, 2007 21:21

>> from my position the sound of the harp missed at times <<

smile: mine too (i was down in front on the floor). and the look on the other musicians' faces during the harp escapade
was ... well, let's say it must have been ambiguous, since other folks seem to have interpreted it as admiration :E
that's all right! no one nails it every time - and when Ronnie took over, he showed everyone how CYHMK is done

what a night ... ~*thank you Rolling Stones!*~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-30 21:43 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: August 30, 2007 21:38

Ah, I'm glad to hear you say that sssoul! We were in front of the B-stage and the harp on CYHMK sounded absolutely dire from there. Mick comes across as such a high achiever, it is a shock when he misses the mark. But Rambler on Thursday was great. We were much further back Thursday, maybe that makes the difference?

I have mothing to add to all the other comments, other than that both concerts were completely magical for me. I've a few photos to add to the many

Posted by: Jon Lasa ()
Date: August 31, 2007 01:33

Hi all.

with sssoul Wrote:
> >> from my position the sound of the harp missed
> at times <<
>
> smile: mine too (i was down in front on the
> floor). and the look on the other musicians'
> faces during the harp escapade
> was ... well, let's say it must have been
> ambiguous, since other folks seem to have
> interpreted it as admiration :E
> that's all right! no one nails it every time -
> and when Ronnie took over, he showed everyone how
> CYHMK is done
>
> what a night ... ~*thank you Rolling Stones!*~

Completely agree.
During CYHMK I thoght somebody had sticked a pice of chewing gum on Mick´s harp.

Anyway, I think Mick is a good musician, and no doubt, the vey best leader, showman and frontman ever.

Date: September 2, 2007 14:26

sorry if this is a re-run - and i hope the gallant Jim Pietryga doesn't mind my reposting his fine photo -
but have we already identified all the offspring in the SftD chorus?
i know the little blonde at the front is one of Bill's girls, and there's Leah Wood of course -
can someone help with the others, please and thank you? with the offspring, i mean - i do recognize Blondie & Bernard :E

- London august 26th 2007 by Jim Pietryga

and as long as i'm here ... i saw this Gene Pool Chorus as a sort of "updated" version
of the group of vocalists that originally recorded the SftD woo woo's: an amusing and moving comment on time ...
and how blessed we are to be witnessing these timeless geniuses at work. the Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-03 18:14 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 2, 2007 15:43

I believe Lizzie (obscured by a mammoth hat) is standing next to Blondie and next to her is Georgia May, then Angela? I don't know who the girl with black stripey gloves on is.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 2, 2007 16:47

with sssoul Wrote:
> can someone help with the others

The one in the hat, next to Blondie, is his daughter.

Date: September 2, 2007 16:51

>> The one in the hat, next to Blondie, is his daughter. <<

Blondie's daughter? thanks - do we know her name?

Date: September 2, 2007 16:55

with sssoul Wrote:
> Blondie's daughter? thanks - do we know her name?

Noelle

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 2, 2007 17:48

Aahhh - thanks for the correction and clarification, erikjjf! I had seen that girl earlier and couldn't see who she was under that hat, but had understood from an earlier thread - [www.iorr.org] -
that it was Lizzie. Noelle's on Blondie's album - is she a singer in her own right, do you know?

Date: September 2, 2007 18:19

Beast Wrote:
> Noelle's on Blondie's album - is she a singer in her own right, do you know?

I don't think so.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: September 2, 2007 20:30

erikjjf Wrote:
> Beast Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Noelle's on Blondie's album - is she a singer in
> her own right, do you know?
>
> I don't think so.

i don't think so either. i met her in rome. she's very nice.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 2, 2007 21:12

Already one week.....

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 2, 2007 23:01

phd Wrote:
> Already one week.....

It took me a week to get over it... I'm over it now

Posted by: ROLLING STONED ()
Date: September 4, 2007 13:45

a view of the B stage from the cheaper seats!

[i170.photobucket.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-04 14:01 by ROLLING STONED.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 4, 2007 13:48

ROLLING STONED Wrote:
> a view of the B stage from the cheaper seats!
>
> [i170.photobucket.com]
> G2000/rollingstoneslondon26thaugust200707.jpg

Nice one

Posted by: ROLLING STONED ()
Date: September 4, 2007 13:59

Thanks! I posted some other pictures I took from the cheaper seats in this thread too. I was close to the stage at SLANE, but did not risk taking my camera, as the ticket said "NO CAMERAS"! I really wish i had now!

Date: September 5, 2007 15:42

odean73 Wrote:
> Erik_Snow Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nice to meet you too Odeon73 !
> >
> > Very wierd about the "row W" thing..
> >
> > The floor at the o2 arena was so small. I sat
> down
> > in the wrong section at first....the section
> > behind my "real seat". I thought I had a real
> nice
> > view - but after some time, I realised the
> mistake
>
> Have wrote to the 02 to see if they can explain
> the reason for this and might be tempted to write
> to ticket master as well. With bill wynman walking
> past on the floor section did not help matters at
> that particular time, but i wont tell them that in
> my letter.

after a few replies from ticket master & the 02, i have beeen informed that i will recieve my ticket fees in the way of compensation for the inconvienence i experienced at the 02 for the last stones concert.

Even thou i was only asking for an explanation why this happaned, i suppose £30 quid in my pocket is better than in their pocket.

Now the greedy side of me is contemplating 'should i take it to the trading standards'dept?

Date: September 5, 2007 15:49

good for you, for persisting Michael.

Date: September 5, 2007 15:59

Adrian-L Wrote:
> good for you, for persisting Michael.

Cheers Adrian, i see you re off to see the police at twickenham, is a saturday or sunday concert? or are they on both nights?

Date: September 5, 2007 16:03

got a 'cheap seat' for the saturday show.
loved them when i was a kid, but wouldn't class myself as
a big fan, nowadays.
going out of morbid curiosity -hoping for a pleasant suprise.

Date: September 5, 2007 16:07

Was tempted myself but with the price of stones/hotel tickets etc decided to give it a miss, but with a previous post regarding the concert in birmingham and spare tickets available has got me tempted again.

trouble is i will get home from work and once you have sat down then thats it.

Hope you enjoy.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 14 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1780
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home