Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 10 of 15
Re: O2 London #3 - show reports & comments
Date: August 27, 2007 02:45

tomcat2006 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just got back from the show. It was a good one at
> a great new venue.
>
> You've seen the set list, so just a couple of
> observations:
>
> *Keith refused to let YGMR end and kept the song
> going into extra verses. It looked to start with
> as though it was to annoy Jagger and I thought for
> a while things could get messy (just like the song
> ended - messy). Thankfully, i think he was just
> playing but it wasn't at all planned, I am sure
>
> *When Jagger was playing harmonica on CYHMK, the
> cameras zoomed in on Keith with his arm on
> Ronnie's shoulder, watching Mick play and looking
> very happy indeed. In fact, M&K even hugged
> halfway thru a later song and seemed to be very
> genuine
>
> *Ronnie and MJ were basically on fire, Charlie
> solid, Keith better than of late
>
> *Great choice of YCAGWYW & PIB lifted the show to
> a new level, esp. after the B stage which really
> rocked on Satisfaction
>
> *We got a much extended BS finale with Lisa and
> Bernard joining on the main stage
>
>
> That's all for now... apart from:
>
> *During his spot, Keith wrapped up by saying "See
> you all again soon". MJ thanked the crew and the
> audiences who've been to visit so many shows over
> so many years... and
>
> *Based on tonight's level of performance, there's
> not a cat in hell's chance this was their last
> ever show!
>
> CHEERS BOYS FOR ABB!

Tom, nice review, thanks.
Mick sounded like he was saying "Goodbye and thanks for the memories" however Keef sounds like he'll be back in some form of entertainment.

Posted by: turd ()
Date: August 27, 2007 02:50

I unexpectedly got given tix for tonight, my two penneth worth is thus.

The band gave a good performance of the usual fodder that they always play, with no spontenaity or surprises. Mick strutted his well rehearsed and choreographed moves, parrot fashion. The sound was muddy from where I was sitting (in what felt like 'the north face of the Igor'). The drums particularly were very low in the mix, I couldn't here Charlies crisp hi-hat beats or cymbals at all, totally inaudible.

The eager crowd around me got what they came for and whooped and clapped like demented seals all the way through SFTD. At that point I knew there would be nothing else worth waiting for, I left to get the early train...........

Good luck with the next tour lads (if there is ever likely to be one) - but now please go home and listen to some 'other' Rolling Stones songs.

Posted by: monkeyman07 ()
Date: August 27, 2007 03:00

ROCKNROLL BOYS , ONLY ROCKNROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im at the radisson vanderbilt hotel
I left mexico on friday , then i made an scale on dallas , then the big way to london , i have to say i love europe and the show was perfect.
i entered the o2 at 5 pm by the north greenwich tube station , and then i bought some ice cream , and a cocacola , i entered just when the doors opened at 6pm , then i purchased some tshirts and some food , so heres my review of this show:
around 8:10 pm , the enemy started , maybe this is offensive but i think this band is a piece of crap but we have to have some respect for them , that noise stopped around 9:00 pm , and around 9:30 the stones started to play for good!¬
well , why would this be the last time? , i think its soooo bad if youre thinking about it , they started with start me up , good as usual , then the good rockers , ygmr and rj , in which they rocked better , then the "surprise" : Aint too proud to beg , my dad likes this song more than me , then my favourite of all : she was hot , i was dancing an singing along with mick , i really got mixed emotions. they played ycagwyw , which was normal , then cyhmk , those solos were good! , keith doesnt seem to do anything at the jamming part. then igc and td. ronnie did a great work indeed on ygts!!! i liked it! , then wanna hold you , keith did a nice solo on it.
miss you started , good as usual , keith did a really good work on iorr! yeah , and also on satisfaction! , htw came , as the other ones , good as usual.
in sympathy the surprise was the stones sons and grandsons singing the backing vocals on it . then pib and jjflash rocked well! , i sang with all the crew , the arena was all packed so well!!!!! , then the final song of tghe tour! . brown sugar , it seemed like keith fked up the intro , but maybe im wrong , but you know , keith is keith . lisa and bernard came with them to the center and danced a lot ; ronnie did it as well , jagger seemed to be healthy as in the 70s tours! , also charlie drummed well! , keith havent done a lot of solos here , but he played the riffs very well.
this was a really great show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have to say for the 100th time this is not over , ill tell my dad we have to save some money for the us tour! , i have a good feeling of it! , and maybe the SOURce was right , it must be announced when the next year starts!

wipeacdc@hotmail.com
never too old or young to rocknroll!!!!!!

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: August 27, 2007 03:00

Just back at the hotel after the gig. Keith sure did eat the cig tonight hahahah. Well, that just was the perfect thing to do as we will have lots of text in the newspapers tomorrow about this. First he smokes them and then he eat them.... I was att 112 section very close to the stage and I could clearly see Keith and Ronnie smoking behind the stage several times.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: August 27, 2007 03:07

Lots of kids and grandkids on stage tonight during Sympathy. They really had fun doing the ooooo ooooo with Bernard and Lisa.

I did also notice another nice "kid thing" When they took off to the B stage Jo and Lea plus a few small kids came out and sat down just next to the "hole" in the stage from where the vagon left for the B stage. There they were sitting until the band returned to the main stage. Jo took several pictures of the kids. It was a bit dark so I did not see how many of them were there but I would say 4 kids and all of them had real big ear protecting cups on them. That was nice to see. I looked on them much more than on the B stage as they did the same old songs as always out there.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 27, 2007 03:08

stoned in washington dc Wrote:
> there's only one thing that does not make sense
> about the arena tour in the US at the time of
> shine alight release april 2008..
>
> usually you do arena tours in the winter when its
> too cold to play the stadiums.... why would they
> do an arena tour in late spring /summer???
>
> that does not add up to my mind...
>
> having said that i really can't wait for them to
> hit the east coast of the US again...i need a fix.

An arena tour could also mean an ampitheatre tour around that time. Just a matter of semantics.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: August 27, 2007 03:11

A small notice I did as well was that after they had done Brown Sugar, both Keith and Ronnie kind of did not want to let go of the moment. They were hanging around on stage much longer that usual with the guitars still on them. The thanked and talket to each other for a few seconds. I got the feeling that they really did not want it to end right there, just hanging on to the moment.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: August 27, 2007 03:18

the right thing is theyll be on tour soon

wipeacdc@hotmail.com

Posted by: The Flasher ()
Date: August 27, 2007 04:31

Judging by the mood in here one could think the encores was "The Last Time and" "It's all over now"

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 27, 2007 07:04

Gotta head to the airport, but here are my quick comments:

1. The place was absolutely packed; not one ticket to be had. O2 was not selling tix before the show, and there were no magical Ticketmaster drops.

2. Show started very early (around 8:25?) which seemed to surprise alot of folks, who were making their way to their seats during the first two numbers, which dampened initial crowd response. The crowd was quite loud most of the night, tho, except in the upper tiers where I was told the sound was poor because of the echo from the roof.

3. Another very strong performance; probably equal to the 21st, although it fell a bit short of that blazing show on the 23rd. Keith didn't move around as much as he did on the 23rd, although he came to life on JJF and BS, and his riffs were loud and strong.

4. Mick and Ron seemed a little distracted at times -- possibly because of the large number of family members present. But, as has been the case on this leg of the tour, Ronnie played so well (especially on slide) that I could say that he carried the show.

5. The security was out in full force again, keeping people off all of the ramps up the catwalk and around the B-Stage. Seemed totally unnecessary.

6. I didn't particularly care for the children signing along on Sympathy, but it was kind of heartwarming. Hell, Sympathy hasn't really had a demonic feel to it since 1969 anyway. I thought that everyone seemed distracted on that number.

7. No real surprises, which was a surprise, I guess. ATPTB and She Was Hot were cool, and it was nice to hear YCAGWYW again. Oddly, it didn't feel like the end of an era. The boys seemed happy and seeing Mick and Keith hugging on the right catwalk was great. But, there was no sense of finality. I suspect that they aren't thinking of it that way. I think we'll see them soon.

It ain't over until Mick T sings.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 27, 2007 07:06

Sure do appreciate all the updates and comments and pix; ty from pacific coast in states. as for all the kids on stage at the end, i wouldn't give it any deep symbolic meaning myself; they breed like effin hamsters with various generations of models who have kids who breed like hamsters and isn't it too cool that everybody was all there rockin' with pops and grandpa and his funny friends. i mean, kids dancing and mucking about at a rock and roll concert!!
well, someone should be arrested surely!!! how dare they?

plus look how close mick was with his dad; and also, even after a real spotty time as a dad, keith picks bert up; loves him up and keeps him on the road close and happy for how many years...i mean, it's just possible they have soft spots for their families and an awareness of everyone's mortality, and why not make a party out of it?

also, it's good for fans to see which fresh out of diapers rugrats they've just made multi millionaires outta...

plus i love the idea of keith's two beautiful young daughters backstage smoking cigarettes, hawwwww; got to love that. patti must be pretty mellow by now anyway sleeping with Lestat and amidst his cinders for goodness how many years...probably trims his hooves. it's love.

Hey, what's Charlie's daughter up to? Never do hear much about her. Anyone know?

well get a rest old boys; but not too long of one; what a mad couple of years, eh?
brain surgeries, deaths in the family, laryngitis, pirate movies, rehab, sucking, soaring, superbowling, filming a theatre show, singing atgb with thousands live at radio city music hall...four dvd's from abb already released, wearing overcoats and hats in chicago sub freeze, playing on the beach in rio to a zillion, breaking thru the iron curtain, scaring the horses, and probably the sheep, even without bill...greedy old girls drawing together, quitting the bitchin' tight under the gun; picking each other up and making the gig, what the hell...wrinkles deeper midnight creepers transversing the world and throwing it down, shooting it off...hugs, kisses, hits and misses...a few strings busted, a few hearts broken or however that went...

they'll be back; and with a different bg group; and they'll open with dance little sister, and it will be perfect.
thank you, yes thank you, don't ever stop. when god wants you dead he'll lay you down.

ON WITH THE SHOW
(Jagger/Richards)

Good evening one and all we're all so glad to see you here
We'll play your favorite songs while you all soak up the atmosphere
We'll start with over river, then maybe stormy weather, too
I'm sure you know just what to do
On with the show good health to you

Please pour another glass it time to watch the cabaret
Your wife will never know that you're not really working late
Your hostess here is Wendy, you'll find her very friendly, too
And we don't care just what you do

Petina, start the show at 2 o'clock

Oh if by chance you find that you can't make it anymore
We'll put you in a cab and get you safely to the door
But we've got all the answers, and we've got lovely dancers, too
There's nothing else you have to do

You're all such lovely people dancing, eating round the floor
But if you have to fight, please take your trouble out the door
For now I say with sorrow, until this time tomorrow
We'll bid you all a fine adieu

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: August 27, 2007 07:36

just to remove any potential symbolism from the family woo wooing, the daughters did a lot of the backing voals to get off my cloud on the US leg so its not an unusual occurrence. I am sad to have missed it, but they'll be back here in April so I'm happy enough! glad they and you had a great show!

OLDKR

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 27, 2007 08:17

It is a very unusual happening indeed to have a dozen or so grandchildren and kids on stage with Lisa, Bernard and Blondie on backing vocals. I have seen them some times now you know. Last time this happened this way was in Cologne 1999 - then there were sons and daughters on stage - 8 years ago - how time flies. See the reports from this show:

[iorr.org]

FROM THE COLOGNE 1999 - final show of the tour 1997-1999:
Back to the main stage for Sympathy For The Devil. Lots of blonde girls on stage now. On the far left Blondie with Micks daughter Eliabeth. She had routine by now, following her two appearances at Wembley-1 and Wembley-2. At the far right with Bernard we had Leah. And in the center, we had Lisa, and on her sides two more blonde girls, daughters of Keith and Patti. A real family show! As "Sympathy" finished they all walked over to the girls, and it got real crowded over there.

Bjornulf

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: August 27, 2007 08:18

Just arrived in Mexico for a week chilling. Can't wait for the show reports. Thank you Rolling Stones for 16 kick ass shows on this tour and see you Baboon Bro and other IORR friends on the Spring Shine A Light tour in good old USA
Sparkly Top

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 27, 2007 08:43

You know the tour is over when you meet band members in the security queue at the airport. Normally they fly in their own private jet, but not this morning...

Bjornulf

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 27, 2007 09:00

That was a pretty early flight then, eh, bv?

Thanks for the reports and reactions. I am glad I saw the 23rd, and had a chance to hang out with some great IORR folks.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: August 27, 2007 13:06

A good show, but a bit flat, maybe because the expections of something special were too high. But Keith definitely does not seem ready to stop.

Posted by: sherer ()
Date: August 27, 2007 13:14

bv Wrote:
> You know the tour is over when you meet band
> members in the security queue at the airport.
> Normally they fly in their own private jet, but
> not this morning...

who'd you see BV ? I assume it wasn't Mick, Keith, Charlie or Ronnie

Date: August 27, 2007 14:36

this was the first time i met iorr people , as its the first time i told them to meet me , anyway this was my 4th show.
i met sometorontogirl and a guy from france , who i didnt questioned his nickname , but this show was really great!

wipeacdc@hotmail.com

Posted by: chippydodo ()
Date: August 27, 2007 16:02

best review goes to Graham Wylde

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: August 27, 2007 16:11

The final bow, what can we say...?
All has been said and all has been told.
A wonderful summer 2007 is ending now.
Finally unpack the suitcase.
Finally go back to your home and have a long sleep.
Finally the curtain's down.
The show three at O2 was awesome, just like a last show would be. Would have hoped for two encores, but nevertheless Brown Sugar as an extended version worked brilliant.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: August 27, 2007 16:36

Stones leave fans hanging after marathon world tour

LONDON (Reuters) - The Rolling Stones ended their two-year world tour in their home town of London on Sunday, leaving fans wondering if it would be their last ever show.

Such speculation has dogged the veteran rock band since the 1960s, but it intensifies each tour to the point where it is now a running joke between the group and journalists.

Predictably, frontman Mick Jagger made no grand announcements during the band's two-hour show at the O2 arena, in Greenwich, southeast London. The venue is just eight miles from where they performed their first ever show, at the Marquee Club, in July 1962.

Instead, the 64-year-old singer, who barely broke sweat as he jumped around the stage, thanked fans for sticking with the band amid "fire and ice and storms and trees, and God knows what."

The "trees" comment related to a mishap in April 2006 when guitarist Keith Richards slipped while on a break in Fiji. He required head surgery, which forced the band to reschedule its European tour set for that summer. At the time, it was reported that he fell from a palm tree, though he later denied that.

Since the "Bigger Bang" world tour began in Boston on August 21, 2005, observers have wondered about the health of the death-defying guitarist, who has been friends with Jagger since childhood.

To the consternation of fans in Helsinki earlier this month, Richards actually toppled over on stage a few times. But the 63-year-old played with vigor on Sunday on such classic tunes as "Brown Sugar" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash."

Richards said in the latest issue of the British music magazine Mojo that he is taking the anti-seizure medication Dilantin because of the head injury, and had abstained from cocaine for about 18 months. He continues to drink and smoke heavily.

For perhaps the first time, Richards and fellow guitarist Ronnie Wood did not smoke on stage on Sunday, following new anti-smoking regulations. But Richards could be seen taking a few hurried puffs off-stage.

TRIUMPH, TRAGEDY

The marathon tour comprised 146 performances in 31 countries and Puerto Rico. First-time stops included mainland China, Montenegro, Romania and Serbia, as well as last year's Super Bowl in Detroit.

Along the way, Jagger and Richards each lost a parent, and Wood his older brother. Last October their former record label boss, Atlantic Records co-founder Ahmet Ertegun, slipped backstage during their concert in New York, fell into a coma and died seven weeks later.

The North American shows, which accounted for just over half the performances, grossed $300 million and attracted 2.2 million people, according to Pollstar, a concert trade publication. Their well-reviewed album, "A Bigger Bang," did not fare as well, slipping off the charts soon after its September 2005 release, a victim of the depressed state of the music industry.

Next on the band's agenda is the April 2008 release of Martin Scorsese's concert documentary, "Shine a Light." Some fans hope that will be a good excuse for the Stones to tour again, but the band is not saying anything.

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: August 27, 2007 16:49

I had a great time last night. Wonderfull seat. I took hundreds of pictures. I will share this one with you:
Chuck gave me a pic and I managed to get me the setlist as well.

Posted by: ROLLING STONED ()
Date: August 27, 2007 16:52

Just got back home a few hours ago, 6 of us drove up in 2 cars from Maidstone and stayed at a travel lodge near London city airport for £26 a room, so that was nice and cheap for a change! Got the DLR and tube to the nearby dome, which was nice and handy! I thought it was one of the best shows I had seen, even though the stage looked about the size of a match box from where we were!

What was very nice was, after we got back to the hotel and were having a few drinks in the bar, I was presented with a t-shirt as a thank you present for arranging the hotel and getting the concert tickets for everyone, and generally sorting everything out!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-27 17:21 by ROLLING STONED.

Date: August 27, 2007 16:52

More pics, more pics, please :-)

Date: August 27, 2007 17:33

ok, heres a few more

Where Ronnie was doing 12 string slide on You Got the Silver. Keith walked around Ronnie checking him up. I htought that was so funny.

Or this one where he is using the beautiful 72 Custom

I think that was on JJF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-27 17:43 by Promoman.

Date: August 27, 2007 17:42

thank you very much! great pics!

Date: August 27, 2007 19:16

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: August 27, 2007 19:17

Back home from a fantastic week in London. Some of my last nights pix:

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 27, 2007 19:24

Great Shots Everybody ,Thank Youi Kindly , Mick & Lisa Huggin is Killer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 10 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2021
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home