Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 344
Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 28, 2020 11:21

Please keep all comments and questions related to the Corona virus disease COVID-19 and The Rolling Stones US/CA Tour 2020 here. Please follow a few basic rules, so that this thread may be kept in a non-political informative manner, free of false information, free of propaganda.

IORR posting policy vs covid-19

Tracking Coronavirus Vaccinations Around the World (New York Times live updates)

COVID-19 is the disease you get from the SARS-CoV-2 virus, often called the corona virus.

Thread subject changed March 17 at 8pm CET:
From: Coronavirus disease COVID-19 and The Rolling Stones US/CA 2020 Tour
Into: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world

- Please no political comments
- Please do not make Corona jokes here
- Post facts not rumours
- Keep the talks mainly Stones tour related

For political comments please see this thread:

Politics in the Coronavirus COVID-19 days

There is a separate thread for talking about people affected by the virus:

People affected by the virus

The best source of information is your local health authority. They will keep you informed at all times. They are professional, and they do not rely on public popularity in order to do their work, and to stay in their positions. The health authorities in most countries are independent, highly skilled, and they are experts on virus and pandemi matters.

Personally, I would NOT trust politicians when it comes to comments on the Corona virus disease COVID-19. Politicians are concerned about their own popularity and they all have an agenda, related to elections, reputation. Politicians does not have any knowledge of diseases, virology and health issues like the COVID-19 (the current Corona virus). We have seen politicians in several countries turning talks about the Corona outbreak into political propaganda. It is a disease, a serious one, not to be used for political purposes.

Worldwide corona virus vaccine reporting:

How many people have received a coronavirus vaccine? (Our World In Data)

International corona virus information sites:

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak
by the World Health Organization (WHO)

Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Situation - live data by WHO

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins CSSE - Live data

COVID-19 projections assuming full social distancing through May 2020 (IHME live data)

Coronavirus mortality rate:

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Mortality Rate (worldometers)

Coronavius mortality rate in short:

+ 3.4% Mortality Rate estimate by the WHO as of March 3

+ 15% Death rate among patients admitted to hospital (HFR)

+ 2.1% Mortality rate nationwide China

Compared to other viruses:

Virus Death Rate
------------------
Coronavirus 2%
SARS 9.6%
MERS 34%
Swine Flu 0.02%
Annual flu 0.1%

I.e. the coronavirus is approx 20 times more fatal than the annual influenza (flu).

How to calculate the mortality rate during an outbreak:

At present, it is tempting to estimate the case fatality rate by dividing the number of known deaths by the number of confirmed cases. The resulting number, however, does not represent the true case fatality rate and might be off by orders of magnitude [...]

A precise estimate of the case fatality rate is therefore impossible at present.

Coronavirus naming policy

The virus is called "corona" or "novel" (new) corona or coronavirus. Or technically COVID-19 (the disease you get) or SARS-CoV-2 (the actual new virus name). Please do NOT use other names on the virus, they are all propaganda names used for a political purpose.

Bjornulf

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-16 10:53 by bv.

Re: Corona virus disease COVID-19 and The Rolling Stones US/CA 2020 Tour
Date: February 28, 2020 11:45

The Rolling Stones touring have been affected by virus outbreaks in the past. In March 2003 the tour in Asia was entering the SARS outbreak area. See the IORR News from March 2003:

[iorr.org]

I was personally at the two shows in Singapore. The reports from those two shows are here:

The Rolling Stones
Singapore Indoor Stadium
Singapore
Monday Mar. 24, 2003

The Rolling Stones
Singapore Indoor Stadium
Singapore
Wednesday Mar. 26, 2003

The reports are not saying much about the situation in Singapore. By that time, SARS was a major problem. The hospitals were full of sick prople, they were in desperate need of respirators. The newspapers were filled with one story only - SARS and death. It was a horror scene. I did not stay in my seat at the shows. I tried to keep a distance in the crowd, but that is hard of course.

Then I was flying into Hong Kong - those shows were canceled. It was terrifying to be there while the health system was close to breaking down. When the shows got canceled, I changed my flights, put on my mask, and went to Bangkok. It was a scene I would not be in. Still, 17 years on, I remember the horror scene like it was yesterday.

The new Corona virus COVID-19 is probably not as fatal as SARS, but it is spreading faster. We will know in 4-8 weeks how the next phase will be. It is now up to the health authorities in the rest of the world to contain and reduce the spread. China, Iran, South Korea and Italy have been examples of how super spreaders - and local failing routines - may bring the virus out of control. Hopefully authorities and people understand how serious this is by now.

I would not worry about the Stones Tour 2020 being canceled now. Still, if the virus is getting out of control in USA, like SARS got out of control in Toronto Canada 2003, then I don't think there will be shows in USA. That is why I say we need to see how the next 4-8 weeks will be vs the Corona virus in the rest of the world.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-28 12:53 by bv.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 28, 2020 12:21

Thank you BV for this forum. As someone with a compromised immune system this is definitely a concern. Am definitely taking precautions as there has been at least 1 case, possibly more in my area. The local government is on top of this for a change & are at least somewhat prepared if things get worse. We will hope for the best possible outcome for all.

Date: February 28, 2020 13:05

Some say the Corona virus is not that dangerous. People die from the flu and from pneumonia all the time. Many get sick of the flu every year, and may be 0.1% i.e. one out of thousand die from the flu. They say the COVID-19 virus have got a death rate of 1% to 2,5%, hard to say so far, because we do not have all the numbers from China, South Korea, Iran and Italy. Anyway, there are several reasons why the COVID-19 is a lot more serious than the traditional flu:

1. If the COVID-19 get into a pandemi, i.e. out of control, then 25% - 70% of all people might get it.

2. The COVID-19 is may be 10x more fatal than the traditional flu

3. The health systems will not have capacity (respirators, health workers, beds, quarantine capacity etc) in order to handle all the seriously ill people if this is turning into a pandemi

4. Even if you are strong and healthy, a child or a family member or a friend may have health or lung issues that will get fatal for that person if you or others bring the virus to them.

In short, we need to take the Corona virus resiously, and we need to rely on the health autorities and WHO in order to keep the virus numbers down and to contain it.

To be honest, tour or not tour is not my biggest concern right now. Concert tickets may be refunded if the tour is off, but if people get sick, that is a lot more serious.

Bjornulf

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: February 28, 2020 13:33

Very good thread. Thank you bv

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: February 28, 2020 13:48

FYI...if you concerned or are considering cancelling travel plans:

most/many Travel Insurance Companies offer a "Full refund for any reason" package....

but, most/many/all require you buy it "at least 30 days prior to travel"

In other news: FULLY cover your sneeze/cough, wash your hands, STAY HOME if you are sick (esp. w/ a fever)...I'm always amazed/annoyed at how many people ignore these basic rules.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: February 28, 2020 14:08

Just a random thought, but if this virus really gets to the point of the Stones having to cancel the tour. I would like to suggest a pay per view type show or shows. One show could be the standard show with the classics. And another show where we get to hear some of the more obscure songs that we the diehard fans ( A lot of us anyway) have long desired to see and hear performed live....

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: February 28, 2020 14:18

I heard on the news this morning something I did not factor into all this. It said events may have to be canceled even if there is low risk to those attending if police, fire and rescue resources are in short supply dealing with problems in other areas.

Date: February 28, 2020 14:29

Thank you Bjornulf; great leadership from you.

Date: February 28, 2020 14:35

The authorities will close down any city if the virus is getting out of control. It does not matter if the name of the city is Wuhan, London, Chicago, Milan or Paris.

Right now we have four people with the Corona virus in Norway - 3 people got it in Italy, one got it in Iran. They are in quarantine now. If people respect the advices and rules given then the work in containing this virus will succeed.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 28, 2020 15:06

bv
The authorities will close down any city if the virus is getting out of control. It does not matter if the name of the city is Wuhan, London, Chicago, Milan or Paris.

Right now we have four people with the Corona virus in Norway - 3 people got it in Italy, one got it in Iran. They are in quarantine now. If people respect the advices and rules given then the work in containing this virus will succeed.

Exactly so ...

One the reasons tis virus is such a problem is that most people could happily walk around with it, suffering with just a minor sniffle, and at the same time passing it on to people for whom it may be a serious threat to health and life .

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 28, 2020 15:44

America is a more libertarian society than Europe and especially Asia. I really can't see a mass quarantine happening here.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 28, 2020 15:55

We joked a bit about Stones face-masks in the other thread, but I have given some thought to getting some (non-stones) to have on hand or to take with and possibly use while flying to the shows. Various opinions out there on the effectiveness and types, but most health organizations recommend using them not to prevent getting the virus, but rather utilizing them when you are infectious. Not sure exactly why as it seems you could never be too cautious, but that does seem to be the prevailing opinion.

These are recommendations from the CDC (center for disease control) on what to do to help prevent the spread of the virus.

Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
Stay home when you are sick.
Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Follow CDC’s recommendations for using a facemask.
CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.
Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to others. The use of facemasks is also crucial for health workers and people who are taking care of someone in close settings (at home or in a health care facility).
Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.

[www.cdc.gov]

Posted by: itsallovernow ()
Date: February 28, 2020 16:31

Our fair planet needs a good cleansing.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 28, 2020 16:44

While true, if the "good cleansing" means any of your own family or your friends or even any old musicians you admire; you may find you're not so flip about it later.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 28, 2020 17:06

Hey itsallovernow, respect BV's initial request. It's amazing how many ignore the moderator, in fact I'm embarrassed to even post this. Over and out

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 28, 2020 17:06

bv

Guess figures may differ depending on sources...
In Germany in the west rhine area (NRW)right now 20 people
have been confirmed to be infected by local authorities...

No need to panic, just take some care...

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: February 28, 2020 17:33

Swiss government bans all events over 1,000 people
[www.marketwatch.com]

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 28, 2020 17:41

Drink a lot - it kills the virus. Best medicine. smileys with beer

Date: February 28, 2020 17:41

Please do NOT quote offending posts. I will delete them as soon as I see them.

Bjornulf

Date: February 28, 2020 17:46

About face masks: They should ONLY be used if you are sick, and you want to avoid others from getting hit by your illness. Health experts in Norway say the masks, when used by people not being ill, will actually make things worse. First of all, they do collect drops on the outer side, also inner side, so they will collect virus rather than keeping it out. Secondly, they do not cover your eyes. Thirdly, you will fiddle with the mask every now and then, with your fingers, so you will simply have a virus collector rather than a protection.

Bjornulf

Posted by: RG ()
Date: February 28, 2020 18:08

Thank you for this thread BV.
I think there is still no reason to panic for the Stones shows. By the time the Tour will kick-off (10 weeks from now).. i think they have the virus under control.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: February 28, 2020 18:34

I saw a report this morning talking about some of the recent viruses. It claimed that in a General public rush to get safety masks it actually created a shortage for the ill people, first responders and the frontline medical personal who really needed them.
Which in turn, complicated the problem of containment.

Date: February 28, 2020 18:49

Concerts in Asia are being canceled. Example:

a-ha cancel show in Singapore

I have tickets for both of their shows in Oslo Nov this year, by then I am sure the Corona virus is long gone.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-28 18:50 by bv.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 28, 2020 19:06

virgil
I saw a report this morning talking about some of the recent viruses. It claimed that in a General public rush to get safety masks it actually created a shortage for the ill people, first responders and the frontline medical personal who really needed them.
Which in turn, complicated the problem of containment.

How long before they introduce platinum pricing for the masks.

Nate

Date: February 28, 2020 19:09

bv
Please tell me how my deleted posts were offensive. Wow.

Date: February 28, 2020 19:10

Maindefender
Hey itsallovernow, respect BV's initial request. It's amazing how many ignore the moderator, in fact I'm embarrassed to even post this. Over and out

Please tell me what was wrong with my posts.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 28, 2020 19:14

itsallovernow
bv

careful my friend, or it may be all over now, for you.

Date: February 28, 2020 19:18

treaclefingers
itsallovernow
bv

careful my friend, or it may be all over now, for you.

Oooooooh I’m scared. Why can’t/won’t antibody tell how my posts were inappropriate??

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: February 28, 2020 19:26

This is a serious issue, of course...but I'm confident a vaccine will be developed soon enough...

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1859
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home