Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 344
Re: Coronavirus disease COVID-19 and The Rolling Stones US/CA 2020 Tour
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: March 4, 2020 19:28

MileHigh
Now, if the pandemic hits your city or country then you have to be rational. Let's say that 10% of the population is infected, and a proportion of those people are incubating the virus and not aware that they have it. Under those conditions when you go to the supermarket to buy your food you are probably going to be within two meters of let's say 100 people. That means it's almost a certainty that you are going to be in close proximity with someone that has the virus.

If your calculations were correct that would mean that all checkout assistants, security assistants and other people who work in supermarkets and meet hundreds of people on the daily basis would be ill by now. It's obviously not the case.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 4, 2020 19:30

While the death rate is a fact, it is declining as more is known about people who got the virus and didn't know about it.
Too many people seizing on sraps of various facts and not looking at context.

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: March 4, 2020 20:32

Hello. We maybe lucky in the uk but the bbc coverage of coronavirus seems a little more measured and realistic. Not fear mongering but dealing with facts however today Wednesday biggest increase to 85 in cases tested positive.
Please pass on best wishes Rolling Stones and all touring personnel who put the show on the road, maybe we can hope that things go ahead.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 4, 2020 21:28

franzk
MileHigh
Now, if the pandemic hits your city or country then you have to be rational. Let's say that 10% of the population is infected, and a proportion of those people are incubating the virus and not aware that they have it. Under those conditions when you go to the supermarket to buy your food you are probably going to be within two meters of let's say 100 people. That means it's almost a certainty that you are going to be in close proximity with someone that has the virus.

If your calculations were correct that would mean that all checkout assistants, security assistants and other people who work in supermarkets and meet hundreds of people on the daily basis would be ill by now. It's obviously not the case.

Note that they aren't calculations but rater a thought experiment. Nowhere has the infection rate reached 10% of the population. But if it did one would assume that people like cashiers and checkout assistants that deal with the public and interact with lots of people will have to wear full protection.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: March 4, 2020 21:33

The release date of the new Bond movie, No time to die, in April, has been postponed and moved to november.
When will other even bigger events follow, like The Olympics, The E.K. soccer, The Eurovision Contest, Rolling Stones tour?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 4, 2020 21:44

MileHigh
franzk
MileHigh

Note that they aren't calculations but rater a thought experiment. Nowhere has the infection rate reached 10% of the population. But if it did one would assume that people like cashiers and checkout assistants that deal with the public and interact with lots of people will have to wear full protection.

Problem with this virus is still the 'unknown' as it hasn't been out that long, leading to speculation which may or may not be correct. I've heard that the incubation period is very long, can be weeks before you become symptomatic, but you can still spread the virus if you don't have symptoms.

That could explain why you see very small clusters now in 80 countries, but in other countries, South Korea, Iran, and Italy where you've gone from what seemed initially a small cluster to a very large outbreak. If this pattern were to hold you'd see a significant increase in the next 4 weeks or so in a lot of places where you have some small number of cases.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: March 4, 2020 21:52

The Tour will be obviously impacted.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 4, 2020 23:37

treaclefingers
MileHigh
franzk
MileHigh

Problem with this virus is still the 'unknown' as it hasn't been out that long, leading to speculation which may or may not be correct. I've heard that the incubation period is very long, can be weeks before you become symptomatic, but you can still spread the virus if you don't have symptoms.

That could explain why you see very small clusters now in 80 countries, but in other countries, South Korea, Iran, and Italy where you've gone from what seemed initially a small cluster to a very large outbreak. If this pattern were to hold you'd see a significant increase in the next 4 weeks or so in a lot of places where you have some small number of cases.

Yes, I agree with you treaclefingers. Also the United States, for example, has not been testing as many people as other countries. My suspicion is there are many undetected cases whom continue to effect others. I think the actual number would be shocking.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 5, 2020 00:04

Small Vancouver data point. The annual TED conference, originally scheduled for April 20-24, has just been postponed to July.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 5, 2020 00:07

Is it wrong that even though I live in Washington.. am apparently officially of the age now that puts me in the "high-risk" category moody smiley, have a daughter in middle school, grandchildren in all grade levels, kids and spouse who live and work dealing with the public in and around Seattle, my biggest concern is they may have to postpone this tour??

Yes is the answer, yes it is wrong cool smiley

Date: March 5, 2020 00:47

DeanGoodman
Small Vancouver data point. The annual TED conference, originally scheduled for April 20-24, has just been postponed to July.

whoa. The Stones Vancouver show would just be 3 weeks or so after that.

I just watched an interview from some King County official (Seattle). They are asking for people to not congregate in groups of larger than 10, and to work from home where possible. The county has bought a motel to house coronavirus victims to keep them in isolation.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 5, 2020 01:28

The Ultra Music Festival in Miami (March 22-28) has been postponed over fears of the Corona virus.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 5, 2020 02:00

About shop assistants and the like, WHO says that banknotes could be spreading the virus and that cashless forms of payment are preferable in the circumstances. As it happens, I have always told my grandchildren that coins and banknotes harbour lots of germs. But in the coronavirus context, it is a bit disconcerting to think that those without access to non-cash forms of payment might be left more vulnerable to the virus.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 5, 2020 02:07

The Coachella festival begins April 10th. It will be interesting to see if the
festival will be held as planned.

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: March 5, 2020 02:27

55,000 person music festival miami
[www.miamiherald.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 5, 2020 11:12

some good news for a change from washington state. the university of washington labs have been approved for testing, greatly increasing the capacity. they are even going to take tests from other states. it's still pretty dire here but this is a step in right direction.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: March 5, 2020 13:11

The BBc web site is now reporting

California has declared a state of emergency after announcing its first coronavirus death, bringing the US death toll from the disease to 11.

The 71-year-old man, who died in a hospital near Sacramento, had underlying health conditions and had been on a cruise ship, said officials.

The White House moved on Wednesday to expand testing nationwide for the disease.

There are now at least 150 reported US patients with Covid-19 in 16 states.

Ten of the 11 US deaths were in Washington state, but the outbreak has also flared up in Texas and Nebraska.

Meanwhile Washington and Florida both declared states of emergency over the weekend to help prevent the coronavirus.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: March 5, 2020 13:56

Stumbled upon this, not sure if legit:

Date: February 26, 2020 at 2:35:50 PM EST
Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.

6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.

7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us! Jim

James Robb, MD FCAP

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 5, 2020 14:18

The tour is due to begin in 9 weeks. That is not long. It is getting harder to see it going ahead, especially with the ages of the band members and average age of the crowds.

Date: March 5, 2020 14:53

Topi
Stumbled upon this, not sure if legit:

Date: February 26, 2020 at 2:35:50 PM EST
Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.

6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.

7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us! Jim

James Robb, MD FCAP

Thanks Topi, even if not legit some pretty good common sense ideas. The only thing that didn't seem obvious to me was the zinc lozenges.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 5, 2020 15:12

look, people....we're just going to have to get used to a world with Coronavirus.

It's not going away. Ever.

Cancelling events and closing schools etc. is simply pointless. We have to go back to school etc. eventually....

The very notion that nobody will have the virus AFTER a 2-week closing or it can't won't spread at that point is silly.

I mean...the Dark Ages tried mass-quarantines and closed entire cities and that didn't work.

It's here. It's going to spread. It's never going away. Just like "the flu"

We certainly shouldn't be overly casual about this, but we also have to come to terms w/ a world where Coronavirus exists....large gatherings might be "more dangerous"...but, they've always been "more dangerous" for the spread of illness.

Same rules as always apply: Practice better hygiene, stay home if you are sick.

That huge long list about "fist bumping" etc. is ridiculous...you can get the virus on your knuckles or clothes or anywhere....fist-bumping is not going to save you if you don't wash your hands.

unless you plan to never have any close-contact w/ other humans again...you're at risk. I've heard that dogs can get it too...so add them to the list.

just wash your hands, use sanitizer, keep them out of your nose, mouth, eyes...stay away from sick people, stay home if you are sick....

you can reduce your odds....but, other than death and taxes, nothing is certain in this world.

anybody who gets offended if I want to use sanitizer after a handshake will just have to deal.

Posted by: soundofblues ()
Date: March 5, 2020 15:36

stickyfingers101
look, people....we're just going to have to get used to a world with Coronavirus.

Cancelling events and closing schools etc. is simply pointless. We have to go back to school etc. eventually....

The very notion that nobody will have the virus AFTER a 2-week closing or it can't won't spread at that point is silly.

I mean...the Dark Ages tried mass-quarantines and closed entire cities and that didn't work.

We certainly shouldn't be overly casual about this, but we also have to come to terms w/ a world where Coronavirus exists....large gatherings might be "more dangerous"...but, they've always been "more dangerous" for the spread of illness.

That huge long list about "fist bumping" etc. is ridiculous...you can get the virus on your knuckles or clothes or anywhere....fist-bumping is not going to save you if you don't wash your hands.

unless you plan to never have any close-contact w/ other humans again...you're at risk. I've heard that dogs can get it too...so add them to the list.

just wash your hands, use sanitizer, keep them out of your nose, mouth, eyes...stay away from sick people, stay home if you are sick....

you can reduce your odds....but, other than death and taxes, nothing is certain in this world.

anybody who gets offended if I want to use sanitizer after a handshake will just have to deal.

True!thumbs up

Date: March 5, 2020 15:39

This is a graph showing the situation in China. As we may see in the recent days there have been relatively few new confirmed cases and the number of recoveries is growing. Since the rest of the world is 2-3 weeks behind China with the virus, we are probably in the place where China was in the first half of February. This means that the virus will spread for another week or two before it will drop.
Of course that does not mean that new cases will not rise up again. It may come in cycles and probably will. Most epidemics (like the Spanish flu) had 2-3 cycles over several months or years before they faded away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-05 16:40 by franzk.

Date: March 5, 2020 15:45

soundofblues
stickyfingers101

True!thumbs up

I don't think anyone has suggested that it is 'going away'. Trying to slow the spread, until such time as a vaccine can be developed and distributed seems about as prudent a strategy as is possible at the moment. For you to suggest to 'just let it happen' would mean countless lives unnecessarily lost.

We'll get past this for sure, but there's absolutely no reason to not take reasonable precautions.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 5, 2020 16:34

China may have slowed down the virus because they are able to close down entire cities. That is not possible in our part of the world, where the personal freedom of moving around is expected, and regulated by law.

The main reason why it is important to slow down the spread of the virus now, is to limit the need of respirators. If the virus ramp up 10x per day then there will not be enough respirators and health personal.

This is not about me and you, those who think they will live eternal and never get sick, but it is about our friend or neighbour, with a critical disease. If you have cancer, a lung disease, or something else health wise, at any age, the virus might be fatal.

May be the virus is not dangerous for 97% of all people, but there is something called solidarity and empathy, meaning we do care about the well being of other people too, not just our own survival and well being.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 5, 2020 17:02

Scientists have now found a second (and apparently more aggressive) strain of COVID-19, which may complicate the quest for a vaccine.

On the other hand, some who shall remain nameless are dismissing the WHO's global death rate as fake news because they, of course, know better...

Date: March 5, 2020 17:34

Beast
Scientists have now found a second (and apparently more aggressive) strain of COVID-19, which may complicate the quest for a vaccine.

Just to clarify: the second strain have been indeed found but there are no proofs that it's more aggressive.

Two strains of the virus?

James Gallagher

Health and science correspondent, BBC News

Understanding how the coronavirus is mutating is vital.

A team of Chinese scientists have effectively played a complex game of “genetic spot the difference” with 103 coronavirus samples.

Their findings suggest there are two distinct “strains” of the virus, but what this means is speculation.

The researchers have found differences in the genetic code of the two strains, but they do not show this alters the behaviour of the virus.

They do not prove one is “more aggressive” than the other, as has been reported.

That will require further experiments and the researchers themselves say the amount of data they have to work with is “still very limited”.

deleted
Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: March 5, 2020 18:06

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-13 23:44 by MononoM.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 5, 2020 18:27

Norwegian Airlines have just canceled many flights to USA.
California has declared a state of emergency just now.
Cruise ships are sailing with sick people, and their buffet breakfast is like a nesting place for virus.
Iran and Italy have just closed all schools and universities.
The airline industry face major losses and UK Flybe went down today.
Japan's coronavirus infection rate could be 'tip of the iceberg' (CNN).

If cities and states shut down travel and crowds larger than 1,000 then it is hard to keep business running as usual. Experts on virology say we will probably have the corona virus around for a year or so, it will not go away anytime soon.

Bjornulf

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 5, 2020 18:38

treaclefingers
soundofblues
stickyfingers101

True!thumbs up

I don't think anyone has suggested that it is 'going away'. Trying to slow the spread, until such time as a vaccine can be developed and distributed seems about as prudent a strategy as is possible at the moment. For you to suggest to 'just let it happen' would mean countless lives unnecessarily lost.

We'll get past this for sure, but there's absolutely no reason to not take reasonable precautions.

I never suggested we should just "let it happen"....I suggested that we take reasonable precautions and avoid unreasonable ones....and learn to live w/ Coronavirus, b/c it is here to stay.

Reasonable precautions include: washing your hands, covering your cough and staying home when you are sick....

Unreasonable precautions include: governments closing down schools/unis, banning public gatherings, shutting down cities, travel etc.

these MIGHT slow things for now....MIGHT....but, as soon as schools etc. re-open, the virus will speed up its spread again.

illnesses have to run their course. Always have, always will.

I agree w/ BV that we should think of others....this is nothing new during "Flu Season," though.

We should ALWAYS do what we can to prevent spreading ANY illness to others....as stated: wash your hands, cover cough, stay home when sick....don't go to the hospital unless you 100% are certain you have to.

That being said: If the Stones are uncomfortable w/ the tour, they should cancel....if anybody is uncomfortable going to the concert, they should stay home.

the government should not decide that for us...at least not at this juncture.

IMO.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home