Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 344
Re: Coronavirus disease COVID-19 and The Rolling Stones US/CA 2020 Tour
Posted by: curt ()
Date: March 8, 2020 13:17

Questions have been asked about testing in the US.

This is information about testing for the virus around the world
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid-19-testing/

Edited to add that the CDC stopped posting current information, but there have been more than 1 person tested in the last 6 days

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-08 13:20 by curt.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: March 8, 2020 13:21

I live in Germany near Heinsberg where there were a lot of cases. Schools closed, empty shleves etc. My perceptions is that people here are reasonable, careful and understanding. But the media is spreading panic rather than just good info and intel. Makes me sad.
So let‘s all stick to the guidelines and keep the virus at a minimum.
Me too I have booked flights and hotels and bought tickets. But my main concern is everybodys health.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: March 8, 2020 14:47

Right at the moment I write this Coachella has not announced a cancellation, but according to Daily Mail they also haven't confirmed that they are not cancelling. I know that's the lamest news update ever. Sorry.

SXSW didn't cancel until Ozzy and a bunch of sponsors dropped out. In fact, Ozzy and the sponsors had dropped out, and for a few days SXSW management had initially insisted that they would be still going on with the show.

I guess my point is that these things can turn on a dime. I imagine that if California declares a State of Emergency that Coachella would certainly be cancelled, and then it's likely that the dominoes would begin to fall from there.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 8, 2020 16:19

This program being funded and launched by Bill Gates is the best news here in the Seattle area we've had to date. Home testing kits with results in one to two days will roll out in the next couple weeks. Initially for the Seattle area, but expected to expand quickly statewide and perhaps beyond.

Gates-funded program will soon offer home-testing kits for new coronavirus

[www.seattletimes.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 8, 2020 16:27

COVID-19 is impacting Supply Chain Management. Purrel price gouging, Toilet paper shortsges in some areas, Chinese/International Ships delivering goods/components for final assemblies are not being allowed and turning back from USA.

Wow, I think in 2 to 3 weeks we'll know where this ordeal is going.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-08 16:52 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 8, 2020 17:51

With Coachella there are a few competing issues. One is contracts and artist payments. The local community (I have a friend who lives across the street from the venue) likes the revenue but is pushing for cancellation because odds are there will be infected people who will spread it to local community. Local businesses want it to go forward because this is 3 of the most profitable weeks of the year in terms of making money and the State/County having the final say.

There are other tours that are still on but likely to be impacted.Eric Clapton scheduled to start a tour shortly. Cities on the tour are Milan and Bologna. Will those happen? I doubt it.

As this relates to the Rolling Stones, if 2 or 3 cities pull permits may still go on but if its 4 or 5 they will have to pull the plug because the numbers won't pencil out. Ticket sales have probably dropped to a trickle at this point too. Some venues have lots of inventory still to move.

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: March 8, 2020 19:18

What it will come down to is people's comfort level attending these shows if the authorities/stones still go ahead with the scheduled dates and the outbreak has not subsided. What are individuals comfort level and the risks associated with travel and lodging etc? Still a lot of time and the situation can change either way.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 8, 2020 19:46

daspyknows
With Coachella there are a few competing issues. One is contracts and artist payments. The local community (I have a friend who lives across the street from the venue) likes the revenue but is pushing for cancellation because odds are there will be infected people who will spread it to local community. Local businesses want it to go forward because this is 3 of the most profitable weeks of the year in terms of making money and the State/County having the final say.

There are other tours that are still on but likely to be impacted.Eric Clapton scheduled to start a tour shortly. Cities on the tour are Milan and Bologna. Will those happen? I doubt it.

As this relates to the Rolling Stones, if 2 or 3 cities pull permits may still go on but if its 4 or 5 they will have to pull the plug because the numbers won't pencil out. Ticket sales have probably dropped to a trickle at this point too. Some venues have lots of inventory still to move.

If I had to guess, I think the 2 west coast dates at the start of the tour are in jeopardy. Both San Diego/California & Vancouver are starting to see more cases. The pattern seems to be a rapid escalation once it starts. What's going on Italy is interesting with Northern Italy essentially in lock down now. It may be the smart move but I don't know if that could be done in the US successfully. We'll hope it doesn't come down to that.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: March 8, 2020 19:51

Last night I caught the stand-up comedian Doug Stanhope's performance at an 1100 seat theater here in Seattle. No one was visibly sick or wearing a facemask. I substituted elbow bumps for handshakes with my friends, and had some post-show eats at a late night Thai restaurant. I washed my hands before eating. This all took place just a few blocks away from the University of Washington campus, which has cancelled the last two weeks of classroom instruction in lieu of online instruction for this school quarter. Three blocks the other way, a UW employee tested positive for COVD two days ago.

It was reassuring to be out in public. Lots of new material for the comedian and it wasn't like some Zombie Apocalypse. Just a little common sense and less irrational fear goes a long way.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 8, 2020 20:22

Javadave
Last night I caught the stand-up comedian Doug Stanhope's performance at an 1100 seat theater here in Seattle. No one was visibly sick or wearing a facemask. I substituted elbow bumps for handshakes with my friends, and had some post-show eats at a late night Thai restaurant. I washed my hands before eating.

Your mama would be proud!

I was in Vancouver yesterday for Dr.'s appt. I saw a number of people walking around the street with masks on. Not most, or even a lot but it was weird.

When I got to the doctor's office the receptionist was wearing an N95 mask and I had to wait for 75 minutes to see the dr, even though I had an appt. Overrun with sick people (the flu is coincidentally also pretty fierce this season).

The way the Italian numbers just skyrocketed up is pretty disconcerting. 1492 new cases and 133 new deaths.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: March 8, 2020 20:26

I think the tour will be postponed.

The amount of people who have the virus is obviously higher than the confirmed numbers. They just haven't been tested yet.

It's not like the band themselves are not in a high-risk group. The average Rolling Stones fan as well.

Posted by: thistrain9900 ()
Date: March 8, 2020 20:51

If they do decide to postpone the tour vs. cancel it, how long a period of time is considered safe to postpone it? 3 months like last year or more?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 8, 2020 20:52

MisterDDDD
This program being funded and launched by Bill Gates is the best news here in the Seattle area we've had to date. Home testing kits with results in one to two days will roll out in the next couple weeks. Initially for the Seattle area, but expected to expand quickly statewide and perhaps beyond.

Gates-funded program will soon offer home-testing kits for new coronavirus

[www.seattletimes.com]

The above article is saying the following:

While Public Health – Seattle & King County has confirmed 71 cases and 15 deaths as of Saturday, modeling by Trevor Bedford, a computational biologist at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, estimated on Wednesday that the actual number of cases in the Seattle area was about 600. Unchecked, that could theoretically increase to 30,000 by the end of March, Dowell said. But steps to slow transmission can significantly reduce the number of new infections, underscoring the importance of acting quickly to protect people from the virus.

Testing is essential in order to understand how big the problem is. First the virus is spreading. Then after 4-8 weeks you start to see fatalities. The fatality rate is estimated to somewhere between 0.5% to 1.0%, with the new and slightly mutated virus outside China. That means you may multiply the number of fatilities by 100-200, and you will see the real number of people being carrying the virus in the area. If there are 15 dead in the Washington area then it means there are an estimated 1,500 people today having the corona virus in the area.

You will see several countries in Europe with 200 - 400 people having the virus now, but the fatality numbers are almost zero, with many people who report having the virus say it is very annoying and painful, but they are still able to walk around in their house, drink coffee and stay on their feet in their home quaratine - they are not sick in the bed.

A final problem is especially young and "eternal" people who do not care about others. They say stuff like YOLO and they need to live and meet other people every day. We just had a Ryanair airplane landing in Norway, today coming from Bergamo/Milano, they just walk off the plane and do not bother to self quaranine. That is why this virus will spread into the thousands during the next few months. Many people are selfish, they lack understanding and solidarity with weaker people in the danger zone.

Bjornulf

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: March 8, 2020 21:57

France just prohibits any gathering of more than 1000 people.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 8, 2020 22:00

They think they found the first case of untraceable "community spread" in Vancouver, BC. The 21st century has been both so wonderful and so awful at the same time. And of course many of us looked at the 21st century as the "way way distant future" and we are now in the thick of it.

Posted by: rara ()
Date: March 8, 2020 22:13

thistrain9900
If they do decide to postpone the tour vs. cancel it, how long a period of time is considered safe to postpone it? 3 months like last year or more?

I think at this point there is no way the tour will go ahead as planned. They will most likely push it to fall for now and see how the outbreak develops. If necessary, they would then push it again to next year.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: March 8, 2020 22:18

At least 8 US states have declared a state of emergency.
Eight US states have declared states of emergency in response to the novel coronavirus outbreak, so far.
Authorities have confirmed at least 21 deaths in three states; 18 in Washington, two in Florida and one in California. Those states were among the first to issue emergency declarations.
Since then, Kentucky, New York, Maryland, Utah and Oregon have declared states of emergency, respectively.
Gov. Kate Brown was the latest to issue the declaration Sunday morning in Oregon after announcing seven new cases in the state, bringing the total there to 14.
(...)
Several US cities and counties have declared public health emergencies of their own as well.

Source: CNN

Date: March 8, 2020 23:55

Heard St. Louis possible case now

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 9, 2020 01:02

A lot to read but very informative article which came out today:
[arstechnica.com]

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 9, 2020 01:14

The supposed lockdown in Lombardy is seemingly far from strict. There are still flights and trains in and out of Milan. There’s a Scottish couple talking on BBC Radio 5 right this minute who landed at Edinburgh from Milan tonight. No checks, no nothing. An absolute joke. This is how the virus will spread

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 9, 2020 01:34

I think we will know a lot more as to large outdoor event cancellations with the advent of the regular baseball season which begins on March 26th.

plexi

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-09 02:48 by timbernardis.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 9, 2020 01:48

Part of the reason that the USA has had a high number of deaths related to this virus is WHERE it hit....it hit a nursing home where obviously the residents are all old and no doubt have compromised immune systems and the other high number of fatalities were linked to infection on a cruise ship.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 9, 2020 02:25

rara
thistrain9900

I think at this point there is no way the tour will go ahead as planned. They will most likely push it to fall for now and see how the outbreak develops. If necessary, they would then push it again to next year.

That's where my money is, literally. Now hoping to replace my roof this year rather than give it to Mick.

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: March 9, 2020 02:37

mickschix
NELLCOTE, no one is screaming....an occasional word in caps for emphasis is hardly screaming. I mentioned in my post...if you read all of it...that it is impossible in the case of the USA's approach to stopping the spread of this virus to separate what is happening in Washington from the poor response to addressing it. You seem to have other issues with my post..perhaps you just have a bug up your butt..it sure looks that way. Try responding like an adult and cut the confrontational crap, it really is not helpful in trying to put forth real information....none of my post was fictional, for your information!

It sounds to me like you're still butt hurt from 2016.

Date: March 9, 2020 02:54

That's where my money is, literally. Now hoping to replace my roof this year rather than give it to Mick.

[www.deangoodman.com]

Same here. Hope to replace our gravel lane and also our yard water system rather than give all my money to Charlie.

plexi

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-09 03:42 by timbernardis.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: March 9, 2020 02:56

nellcote'71
mickschix
NELLCOTE, no one is screaming....an occasional word in caps for emphasis is hardly screaming. I mentioned in my post...if you read all of it...that it is impossible in the case of the USA's approach to stopping the spread of this virus to separate what is happening in Washington from the poor response to addressing it. You seem to have other issues with my post..perhaps you just have a bug up your butt..it sure looks that way. Try responding like an adult and cut the confrontational crap, it really is not helpful in trying to put forth real information....none of my post was fictional, for your information!

Sure sounded like a political post too me under the ruse of passing along information that would benefit the General public at large.

Date: March 9, 2020 03:05

BV Is gonna clean ALL of this up and maybe all of u out when he wakes up in the morning.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-09 03:43 by timbernardis.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 9, 2020 03:08

DeanGoodman
rara
thistrain9900

Yes its not looking too good. However if they postpone the tour and begin in the fall, which might be the safest option, then it could be difficult to secure the same venues. So with that plan some shows might have to be cancelled.

Maybe they can begin July 1st similar to their plan in 2019? This would be
a gamble though since it’s unknown how long the Coronavirus will be active
and disruptive.

The other option would be to move the tour start to May of 2021 and keep
all the same venues with similar dates and city sequence. Although this
is a long time to expect ticket holders to wait.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 9, 2020 03:09

nellcote'71
mickschix

THIS is political horsesh!t.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 9, 2020 03:35

THE AGE -- 9 March 2020

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50