Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...174175176177178179180181182183184...LastNext
Current Page: 179 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 16, 2020 23:14

CaptainCorella
This darned pandemic has thrown up some challenging times for the societies that we all live in.

I think that most places have had to deal with panic buying in supermarkets - the headline item is usually toilet paper.

Here in Australia (where there are a vanishingly small number of local cases - nationally single digits in weeks, in Victoria the State in which Rockman & I live, zero for 49 days) we are having to cope with another shortage. A surreal shortage that is undermining the very fabric of society.

Due to demand, the supermarkets are having to ration the number of Lobsters that can be bought (a traditional Christmas fare).

A bewildering juxtaposition and (IMHO) rather funny.

Explanation. We're having a 'trade dispute' with China. A vast amount of lobsters are normally exported to China. That is being blocked, so the diverted supply is hitting the shops here at crazy low prices. Hence the demand.

I have a six-month supply of rice, canned beans, and canned veggies. Bought it last Spring.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 16, 2020 23:35

MileHigh
CaptainCorella
This darned pandemic has thrown up some challenging times for the societies that we all live in.

I think that most places have had to deal with panic buying in supermarkets - the headline item is usually toilet paper.

Here in Australia (where there are a vanishingly small number of local cases - nationally single digits in weeks, in Victoria the State in which Rockman & I live, zero for 49 days) we are having to cope with another shortage. A surreal shortage that is undermining the very fabric of society.

Due to demand, the supermarkets are having to ration the number of Lobsters that can be bought (a traditional Christmas fare).

Explanation. We're having a 'trade dispute' with China. A vast amount of lobsters are normally exported to China. That is being blocked, so the diverted supply is hitting the shops here at crazy low prices. Hence the demand.

I have a six-month supply of rice, canned beans, and canned veggies. Bought it last Spring.

We should get together.... and make a great Lobster stir fry!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: December 17, 2020 00:09

CaptainCorella
MileHigh
CaptainCorella

We should get together.... and make a great Lobster stir fry!

Well, when we were kids in the cartoons you could make a punch into the microphone end of a telephone handset and the punch would come out the other end and smack somebody in the nose. Perhaps we can adapt that technology for more peaceful means?

It just got me thinking about the new Star Trek. What happens when you go to eat in a restaurant on the holodeck? Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 17, 2020 01:47

Throw another shrimp on the barbie for me!

jb

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 17, 2020 02:19

steffialicia
TheGreek
daspyknows
kovach
TheGreek
I am ready to roll up my sleeve and take the vaccine and i wish i could take it now instead of waiting 6 months , but this is a process .

Me too as I'm still getting over it, never want it again. Going into my 3rd week, a visit to the emergency room because my O2 dropped into the 70's and 80's, coming home with 2 machines to help my breathing...hoping I'm immune now at least until I get vaccinated.

Same here. I am now 9 to 10 months in so becoming more concerned about immunity. I want to get it in the March/April time frame. I was lucky as I seem to have avoided most of the longer term affects. Hope you continue to recover.
Light at the end of this most dark tunnel in our lives . Please Stay Safe !

I'm so overjoyed about the vaccine's availability. The beginning of the end of this strangest of times. Be safe until we're hopefully all on board with receiving the vaccine.

Thanks all, haven't needed oxygen today, hopefully I've turned the corner,. Video chat with doctor tomorrow, hoping he tells me to get some mild exercise and be on my way.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 17, 2020 02:53

Nate
Here in the U.K. today there are reports of a reluctance by a significant percentage of ethnic minorities to have the vaccine.

Religion once again demonstrating it’s ultimate wickedness and ultimate stupidity.

Nate

Some members of the UK’s black community fear they might be being used as guinea pigs for a vaccine that has been quickly developed. Some would say that the history of institutional racism plays it part in fuelling such fears, but there’s also a history of blacks in Africa and the USA being experimented on with potential new treatments for various diseases and so there’s of course a lingering distrust.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 17, 2020 03:25

Indeed.

jb

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: December 17, 2020 03:49

Some levity from Alaska Airlines as they try to get people to wear masks:

[youtu.be]

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 17, 2020 07:03

kovach
steffialicia
TheGreek
daspyknows
kovach
TheGreek
I am ready to roll up my sleeve and take the vaccine and i wish i could take it now instead of waiting 6 months , but this is a process .

Me too as I'm still getting over it, never want it again. Going into my 3rd week, a visit to the emergency room because my O2 dropped into the 70's and 80's, coming home with 2 machines to help my breathing...hoping I'm immune now at least until I get vaccinated.

Same here. I am now 9 to 10 months in so becoming more concerned about immunity. I want to get it in the March/April time frame. I was lucky as I seem to have avoided most of the longer term affects. Hope you continue to recover.
Light at the end of this most dark tunnel in our lives . Please Stay Safe !

I'm so overjoyed about the vaccine's availability. The beginning of the end of this strangest of times. Be safe until we're hopefully all on board with receiving the vaccine.

Thanks all, haven't needed oxygen today, hopefully I've turned the corner,. Video chat with doctor tomorrow, hoping he tells me to get some mild exercise and be on my way.

Great news. Take your time. Let your body heal and recover.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 17, 2020 08:55

Beast
Nate
Here in the U.K. today there are reports of a reluctance by a significant percentage of ethnic minorities to have the vaccine.

Religion once again demonstrating it’s ultimate wickedness and ultimate stupidity.

Nate

Some members of the UK’s black community fear they might be being used as guinea pigs for a vaccine that has been quickly developed. Some would say that the history of institutional racism plays it part in fuelling such fears, but there’s also a history of blacks in Africa and the USA being experimented on with potential new treatments for various diseases and so there’s of course a lingering distrust.

One of the most egregious examples: [en.wikipedia.org]

Date: December 17, 2020 09:49

Aquamarine
Beast
Nate

Nate

In this day and age it's just willful ignorance and stupidity to not want to take a vaccine for the Corona virus. It's unrealistic to think that your genetic adaptation to the amount of sun you are exposed to has any tangible connection to the way your immune system works. The people that refuse to take it are unethical and irresponsible and will increase the damage that this virus will cause to people and to society in general. There is always the option to play the history card, and there is also the option to be rational and responsible and not play the history card.

When I go to the store and buy milk I have to trust the "system" and that the people in the business of producing and delivering milk to my supermarket are acting properly and responsibly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-17 09:53 by MileHigh.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 17, 2020 10:08

MileHigh
Aquamarine
Beast
Nate

Nate

In this day and age it's just willful ignorance and stupidity to not want to take a vaccine for the Corona virus. It's unrealistic to think that your genetic adaptation to the amount of sun you are exposed to has any tangible connection to the way your immune system works. The people that refuse to take it are unethical and irresponsible and will increase the damage that this virus will cause to people and to society in general. There is always the option to play the history card, and there is also the option to be rational and responsible and not play the history card.

When I go to the store and buy milk I have to trust the "system" and that the people in the business of producing and delivering milk to my supermarket are acting properly and responsibly.

Apparently another factor is the (false) rumour that the vaccine contains pork gelatin and is thus unacceptable to Muslims.

The manufacture of some flu and measles vaccines does involve pork gelatin, and has caused concern in the past (to strict vegetarians as well as Muslims) and this has produced the idea that "all vaccines have it" - which none of the Covid vaccines do.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-17 10:19 by Green Lady.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 17, 2020 10:26

JadedFaded
Some levity from Alaska Airlines as they try to get people to wear masks:

[youtu.be]

The horror! Out of literally hundreds of bands I've seen play, I think Men Without Hats were the worst live band I ever saw. If not the worst, very close.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 17, 2020 11:14

Beast
Nate

Nate

My partner is black and is sceptical over the vaccine. Although she’d rather not take it, I’m sure, ultimately, she will. I’m not sure if her reasoning is founded on any of the above, however. For her, it’s more about the principle of being ‘forced to’ As everyone here knows, I’m a lockdown-sceptic, but not a covid one. I will be having a vaccine. I visit a London hospital every six months, so may even be one of the first in line.

Date: December 17, 2020 13:04

Big Al
Beast
Nate

Nate

My partner is black and is sceptical over the vaccine. Although she’d rather not take it, I’m sure, ultimately, she will. I’m not sure if her reasoning is founded on any of the above, however. For her, it’s more about the principle of being ‘forced to’ As everyone here knows, I’m a lockdown-sceptic, but not a covid one. I will be having a vaccine. I visit a London hospital every six months, so may even be one of the first in line.

I’m not a lockdown-sceptic; just unhappy with the U.K.’s messy tier-system.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 17, 2020 13:59

Big Al
Big Al
Beast
Nate

Nate

I’m not a lockdown-sceptic; just unhappy with the U.K.’s messy tier-system.

I can understand. In my country (NL) there also is a lot of non-logical decision making. Experts and scientists tell what's best, but it's the politicians that make the decisions based on their own interpretations and partly economical motives.
Yesterday TV showed a kind of chaotic situation at Schiphol AirPort and now suddenly two major sun-travel airline companies decide to stop flights ?!?!?
Peoples behavior is predictable so the government should have foreseen that chaos and should have been ahead with deciding "no more fun flights". Shops which still thought they could stay open were ordered yesterday to also close. So yes, messy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-17 15:05 by georgie48.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 17, 2020 14:49

Another World leader gets it.
Wishing President Emmanuel Macron a speedy recovery.

"President Emmanuel Macron of France has tested positive for the coronavirus, the French presidency said on Thursday, just as his government was trying to lift lockdown restrictions before Christmas and avoid another wave of infections.

“This diagnosis was established after a RT-PCR test that was carried out as soon as the first symptoms appeared,” a statement from the presidency said. It did not reveal what those symptoms were and when they first appeared."
[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 17, 2020 15:55

Big Al
Beast
Nate

Nate

It has been UK medical law since 1984 that no-one can be forced to take a vaccine or any other medical treatment against their will.

Date: December 17, 2020 16:16

grzegorz67
It has been UK medical law since 1984 that no-one can be forced to take a vaccine or any other medical treatment against their will.

That’s interesting; though it is hard to now imagine a time when us in the western world could be forced to do so. I think many fear that it’ll prove so restrictive if one were to opt against having a vaccine: can’t dine in a resistant, board a plane, etc. It’ll feel like you’re being forced to do so, perhaps. It’s not necessarily a bad thing. There will be lots of people who’ll be so sceptical, yet, they must be persuaded.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 17, 2020 16:28

grzegorz67
Big Al
Beast
Nate

Nate

I certainly wouldn’t advocate mandatory vaccination and it should always be a personal choice but yesterday there was a woman interviewed on BBC news who claimed that she doesn’t need the vaccine because she is incapable of catching disease as she is protected by god.
It is beyond belief that in the 21st century this level of stupidity still remains in a society that has free access to information.

Belief in the supernatural leads to ultimate wickedness and ultimate stupidity.

Nate

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 17, 2020 16:32

Nate
grzegorz67
Big Al
Beast
Nate

Nate

I certainly wouldn’t advocate mandatory vaccination and it should always be a personal choice but yesterday there was a woman interviewed on BBC news who claimed that she doesn’t need the vaccine because she is incapable of catching disease as she is protected by god.
It is beyond belief that in the 21st century this level of stupidity still remains in a society that has free access to information.

Nate

You'll get zero argument from me against any of that thumbs up

Date: December 17, 2020 16:45

Green Lady
MileHigh
Aquamarine
Beast
Nate

Nate

Apparently another factor is the (false) rumour that the vaccine contains pork gelatin and is thus unacceptable to Muslims.

The manufacture of some flu and measles vaccines does involve pork gelatin, and has caused concern in the past (to strict vegetarians as well as Muslims) and this has produced the idea that "all vaccines have it" - which none of the Covid vaccines do.

Then you have the cray cray crowd that believes this and won't take the vax.

[www.usatoday.com]

In regards to the African American reticence there is a history.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Hopefully this will not prevent people from taking it but there is a lack of trust already.

Date: December 17, 2020 16:50

Nate
grzegorz67
Big Al
Beast
Nate

Nate

Nate

There are millions of people like that in the US. They are also the ones who refuse to wear a mask.

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: December 17, 2020 17:58

SomeTorontoGirl
Best post ever STG!!!

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 17, 2020 18:38

daspyknows
Nate
grzegorz67
Big Al
Beast
Nate

Nate

Nate

There are millions of people like that in the US. They are also the ones who refuse to wear a mask.

Yep, and they are from all times. 54 years ago I had a case about a man who was in charge of my summer holiday job (text corrector for a typesetting company). Easily several times a day he tried to convince me that certain things should not be done or written because there would be punishment from "above". One day he didn't come to the office because he (on his bycicle) was pretty severely hit by a car. I visited him at his home and here it comes: "Why did the lord punish me this way? What did I do wrong?" As an 18 years young person the only thing I could say was "nobody punished you, this is just pure bad luck". He couldn't cope with that. He never recovered and died not long after.
I'm sure the same thing will (or already has) happen(end) to many stuborn "I am protected by god" people after being hit badly (or worse) by covid-19. However I wouldn't tell them "this is pure bad luck", but "because you're stupid and god is fed up with stupid people, because you didn't care about your fellow men".confused smiley

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 17, 2020 19:34

daspyknows
Nate
grzegorz67
Big Al
Beast
Nate

Nate

Nate

Exactly. I saw a medical doctor being interviewed on TV very early on in the pandemic. She was at a church service with no social distancing or masks and blithely said that she had no worries about congregating because she had God's protection against the virus and so would never catch it.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 17, 2020 20:24

EU & EEA vaccine update:

Dec 23 : EU approval of the Pfizer / BioNTech vaccine expected
Dec 24 : First shipment of vaccine arriving to EU/EEA countries
Dec 27 : First day of vaccination in EU/EEA countries

Dec. 23 is new target date for EU vaccine approval - govt source (Reuters DECEMBER 15, 2020)

Bjornulf

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 17, 2020 20:26

I was driving home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield
Listening to gospel music on the colored radio station
And the preacher said, "You know you always have the
Lord by your side"......

Well the preacher kept right on saying that all I had to do was send
Ten dollars to the church of the sacred bleeding heart of Jesus
Located somewhere in Los Angeles, California

yep, millions of American believe this stuff, at a great health cost to the country.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 17, 2020 20:54

You couldn't pay me enough money to put this in my body.

Alaska Health Worker Had a Serious Allergic Reaction After Pfizer's Vaccine

[www.yahoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-17 20:55 by bleedingman.

Date: December 17, 2020 21:03

bleedingman
You couldn't pay me enough money to put this in my body.

Alaska Health Worker Had a Serious Allergic Reaction After Pfizer's Vaccine

[www.yahoo.com]

So what? That's meaningless. It's understood that it's going to be a possibility. Some people can be killed by peanuts. Some people have allergic reactions to latex gloves.

If the vaccine is given to 30,000 random individuals and none of them had a reaction like the Alaska health worker, then you take your chances. The benefits far far outweigh the disadvantages. And if you don't take the vaccine then you could become an asymptotic carrier of Covid-19 and pass it on to a dozen people and one of them might die.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...174175176177178179180181182183184...LastNext
Current Page: 179 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2191
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home