Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...179180181182183184185186187188189...LastNext
Current Page: 184 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 23, 2020 18:40

Hairball
bv
I canceled my travel insurance today. There's no point. May be 2022, hopefully, but just may be.

Realistically probably the wise thing to do - hoping for 2022.
Yes. and in 2022 we will be hoping for 2023 and in 2023 we will be hoping for 2024... While life only ever happens now.

Right now were living in the great hope of the vaccination. That should solve all our problems. Except that for instance nobody under 15 can get the vaccine, so the virus will be happily still around and while the whole population will be encouraged to get a vaccine regularly 2 or 3 times a year, we will soon realize that for our safety and our good we will go on living like we do now. I can't see any hope for any major change except of some pharmaceutical companies earnig gazillios of dollars on a "free" vaccination. There is no hope with the current set of rules according to which is the game played.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-23 18:45 by Happy24.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 23, 2020 18:42

Hairball
Chris Fountain
Will the new mutant viruses be resistant to the new vaccines???

I asked the same a few days ago on the previous page, and there seemed to be no absolute answers - just lots of speculation.
Seems now these mutant variations are being more closely analyzed, and some answers are starting to surface.
Things seem to be going from bad to worse....hopefully that trend will change soon!

Yesterday there was an extensive explanation on (Dutch) TV on how the current vaccines work. Interesting part of it was that the so called cocktail covers, if I recall correctly, 24 different mutations. Anyway, well over 20.
The current new (UK and south-African) mutations are still being studied, so they didn't mention whether they are part of the 24. Some virologists (UK, Netherlands) felt confident that the vaccine would cover those too. But it could be said to reduce panic ?!?!?

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 23, 2020 19:06

georgie48
Hairball
Chris Fountain

I asked the same a few days ago on the previous page, and there seemed to be no absolute answers - just lots of speculation.
Seems now these mutant variations are being more closely analyzed, and some answers are starting to surface.
Things seem to be going from bad to worse....hopefully that trend will change soon!

Yesterday there was an extensive explanation on (Dutch) TV on how the current vaccines work. Interesting part of it was that the so called cocktail covers, if I recall correctly, 24 different mutations. Anyway, well over 20.
The current new (UK and south-African) mutations are still being studied, so they didn't mention whether they are part of the 24. Some virologists (UK, Netherlands) felt confident that the vaccine would cover those too. But it could be said to reduce panic ?!?!?

I saw a discussion on this and they said with the mRNA technology that even if the current vaccine was ineffective it would take 6 weeks to adjust it. This is what will be the benefit of the new technology. It seems like this will be a vaccine we take every year or two as the virus mutates.

Date: December 23, 2020 19:11

daspyknows
georgie48
Hairball
Chris Fountain

I saw a discussion on this and they said with the mRNA technology that even if the current vaccine was ineffective it would take 6 weeks to adjust it. This is what will be the benefit of the new technology. It seems like this will be a vaccine we take every year or two as the virus mutates.

Yep. Why not? I've been taking the influenza vaccine for years now (every October, this year November) and didn't have the flu now for 7 years! And no side effects either! thumbs up

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 23, 2020 20:03

Just a prediction...

The more virus there is in the world, the more mutants there will be. And the more mutants there will be, some of them will be faster in moving on from person to person, and the more we would need to do a lock down in these areas, to avoid a complete collapse in the health systems, which we do see in some areas now.

Already now, with a lot of virus in the world, several places, we have a more transmittable mutant in UK, and another one even more aggressive arriving from South Africa to UK.

Many countries does not sequence the virus, i.e. they do not classify the full history and dna profile of the virus. Then we will not know about the mutants until they appear in larger numbers in places where they do run a lot of lab sequencing, like UK, South Africa, Denmark etc. Then we will be 1-2 months too late in acting on the mutants.

Those who want to end lock down and closing borders and are fed up of rules and virus protection are sort of wrong. In fact, a 2-4 weeks lockdown, complete, like we had mid March to Mid April, will decimate the virus, it will slow down mutants dramatically, and it will make it easier for us all in months to come, like it did in March. Only problem, the world is full of leaders without balls, they do a little bit lock down too late and always too little, while people always stretch the rules.

My mind is on "Winter"...

And it sure been a cold, cold winter
And the wind ain't been blowin' from the south
It's sure been a cold, cold winter
And a lotta love is all burned out

It sure been a hard, hard winter
My feet been draggin' 'cross the ground
And I hope it's gonna be a long, hot summer
And a lotta love will be burnin' bright

Bjornulf

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 23, 2020 20:32

Can you succumb from Covid-19 information overload? It's day in, day out information on the news now. Only flagellants prosper in these circumstances.
I prefer to listen to something else from time to time. While I still have the choice to do so...

Date: December 23, 2020 21:10

I love information, details and facts. Following the facts have brought be to many many club shows, rehearsals and close contacts with the Stones over the years. If I just went blind and dumb and ignored the intel and insight, then I would have missed a lot.

It is the same with the virus in fact. If you ignore it, if you ignore the facts, ignore knowing, then it will get you, like walking through the big city drunk in the night, not so smart.

Still, staying at home and keeping a distance to other people helps a lot.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 23, 2020 21:25

Sure, BV. I do agree. I was trying to convey the fact that when you turn on the radio (SR, P1) here in Sweden there is a 95 percent chance you will hear the word Corona or Covid-19 within ten seconds. Not many people can take in this overload of information. And it scares people, constantly. As if it wasn't enough with the climate crisis (which was on repeat before the pandemic). Information is good. Too much information only puts people in a hyper-vigilant state. Which can't be the goal. Can it?

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 23, 2020 21:42

Stoneage
Sure, BV. I do agree. I was trying to convey the fact that when you turn on the radio (SR, P1) here in Sweden there is a 95 percent chance you will hear the word Corona or Covid-19 within ten seconds. Not many people can take in this overload of information. And it scares people, constantly. As if it wasn't enough with the climate crisis (which was on repeat before the pandemic). Information is good. Too much information only puts people in a hyper-vigilant state. Which can't be the goal. Can it?

Interesting to hear. I felt that Sweden was the only country in the western world that still had some kind of common sense. I have a very sweet spot for Sweden, I spent one year in Stockholm as a student and 20 years later still can't believe what a great time I had there. Kind of sad to read what you just wrote.

And about the climate crisis - yeah, it is obvious that things are serious, but it is impossible not to notice how the propaganda is getting omnipresent right now. And while I personally notice increasing awearnes of the problems arisin from inside of people (don't know how to express it better) and people trying to really do something about it - doing little things each and every one (which is the only real way), I just feel that the official huge propaganda and all the new laws and regulations are there only to secure huge bussiness for some "privilliged" companies.

I feel very much the same about the covid situation. Speaking about our government for instance - according to our "leaders" it is all people's fault. They supposedly don't follow the rules. The govement has to be more and more strickt and beat us like disobedient dogs. In our country the whole situation is a strictly political matter from the very beginning. On Sunday we go to a complete lockdown again (after 2 weeks of slight easening). Because supposedly people don't obey the rules. Yet all I see is (when I rarely go out) is people obeying the rules completely (me included, eventhough I don't believe in it. But I still do it. Like actually all others). It is a completely differen picture if you read about it on the internet and if you actually go out and see.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-23 23:37 by Happy24.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 23, 2020 23:21

UK residents can now use this online calculator to get an estimate of when they might expect to receive a vaccine. It says March for me - which probably means mid-summer at the earliest spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[www.omnicalculator.com]

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 23, 2020 23:22

bv
I love information, details and facts. Following the facts have brought be to many many club shows, rehearsals and close contacts with the Stones over the years. If I just went blind and dumb and ignored the intel and insight, then I would have missed a lot.

It is the same with the virus in fact. If you ignore it, if you ignore the facts, ignore knowing, then it will get you, like walking through the big city drunk in the night, not so smart.

Still, staying at home and keeping a distance to other people helps a lot.

I'm (normally) with BV on this, we've watched hundreds of hours of news, and almost all of the (famous?) 120 daily press conferences given by our own State's Premier (sort of like a USA State Governor, but not really) ever since in early March a well connected pal sent me the infection predictions that had landed on Boris Johnson's desk the previous day.

But, yesterday, for the first time since this started (and you can append to the front the coverage of the Australian bush fires!) my partner & I turned off the news because we were utterly sickened by the head-in-the-sand denials of one of Australia's State Premiers which we feel sure will lead to a huge outbreak in Sydney very early in the New Year. Will the virus really stop infecting people because it's Christmas? Even Boris realised it wasn't going to stop!

I hope I'm wrong, but it was too much to watch.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: December 24, 2020 05:02

georgie48
daspyknows
georgie48
Hairball
Chris Fountain

Yep. Why not? I've been taking the influenza vaccine for years now (every October, this year November) and didn't have the flu now for 7 years! And no side effects either! thumbs up

Me too and before I took it I got the flu at least every other year.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: December 24, 2020 09:50

The Russian vaccine is arriving today to Argentina, as a health worker I hope to receive it soon... but let's see when it happens.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 24, 2020 10:54

Beast
UK residents can now use this online calculator to get an estimate of when they might expect to receive a vaccine. It says March for me - which probably means mid-summer at the earliest spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[www.omnicalculator.com]

I have an underling condition, so it'll be between February and March for me.

Date: December 24, 2020 11:04

I did my final Xmas shopping today. The past days and weeks have been stressful. Lots of people in stores, queues. Mask on, mask off, in and out of stores and malls. Three people at the bakery and I am number four so I have to wait outside until one of them leave. Old people with mask under their nose or some times under their lips. More lights in windows and on trees and balconies. Dark most of the day. Alcohol sales have been banned in restaurants and bars for a month now in our area, and many restaurants are closed. Luckily Dec 21 was the darkest day and now we get more daylight every day. The first vaccine trucks are on the way, and vaccination start Dec 27. We made it through the first nine months. Looking forward to warmer weather and a normal life!

Bjornulf

Date: December 24, 2020 12:28

bv
I did my final Xmas shopping today. The past days and weeks have been stressful. Lots of people in stores, queues. Mask on, mask off, in and out of stores and malls. Three people at the bakery and I am number four so I have to wait outside until one of them leave. Old people with mask under their nose or some times under their lips. More lights in windows and on trees and balconies. Dark most of the day. Alcohol sales have been banned in restaurants and bars for a month now in our area, and many restaurants are closed. Luckily Dec 21 was the darkest day and now we get more daylight every day. The first vaccine trucks are on the way, and vaccination start Dec 27. We made it through the first nine months. Looking forward to warmer weather and a normal life!

Sounds familiar, bv. Very much the same here. I just came back from the City center in our town and ... it was pretty quiet! Not really surprising, because all "non-essential" shops are closed till next month 19th.
People are really like rats finding ways to do it their way. Yesterday it was the last day for a Makro store (very large store) because they also have to shut down the "non-essential" section today, so crowds of people to grab the last chance to do "non-essential" Christmas shopping (honestly, I was there solely for food).
Still, enjoy the Season days with your family to the full extend! Somewhere well into 2021 the light at the end of the tunnel will become clear. Until then let's hold a good torch at hand in order not to bounce our heads against undiserable problems.
smileys with beer

Date: December 24, 2020 17:37

Quique-stone
The Russian vaccine is arriving today to Argentina, as a health worker I hope to receive it soon... but let's see when it happens.

Good luck with that one. Not sure I would trust it if Putin refuses to take it. Lets just hope it is safe first of all and effective.

Date: December 24, 2020 17:39

bv

Stay safe BV. Have a happy holiday and a happy new year. You are a voice of reason.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 24, 2020 17:55

Stoneage
Can you succumb from Covid-19 information overload? It's day in, day out information on the news now. Only flagellants prosper in these circumstances.
I prefer to listen to something else from time to time. While I still have the choice to do so...

I don't watch the news. There's no reason to. Stop watching it.

Date: December 24, 2020 18:00

Stoneage

That's a broad statement, that it scares people. It scares some people. A lot of people probably tune it out. Stop listening to that station. Listen to music instead of talk radio. Talk radio is garbage anyway. It's either opinions or it's based on news articles from newspapers, which are immediately outdated.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 24, 2020 18:05

GasLightStreet
Stoneage

I don't watch the news. There's no reason to. Stop watching it.

Me too....... makes me crazy....... even if the news item has nothing to do with COVID it will mentioned several times

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 24, 2020 18:10

Happy24
Stoneage

Interesting to hear. I felt that Sweden was the only country in the western world that still had some kind of common sense. I have a very sweet spot for Sweden, I spent one year in Stockholm as a student and 20 years later still can't believe what a great time I had there. Kind of sad to read what you just wrote.

And about the climate crisis - yeah, it is obvious that things are serious, but it is impossible not to notice how the propaganda is getting omnipresent right now. And while I personally notice increasing awearnes of the problems arisin from inside of people (don't know how to express it better) and people trying to really do something about it - doing little things each and every one (which is the only real way), I just feel that the official huge propaganda and all the new laws and regulations are there only to secure huge bussiness for some "privilliged" companies.

I feel very much the same about the covid situation. Speaking about our government for instance - according to our "leaders" it is all people's fault. They supposedly don't follow the rules. The govement has to be more and more strickt and beat us like disobedient dogs. In our country the whole situation is a strictly political matter from the very beginning. On Sunday we go to a complete lockdown again (after 2 weeks of slight easening). Because supposedly people don't obey the rules. Yet all I see is (when I rarely go out) is people obeying the rules completely (me included, eventhough I don't believe in it. But I still do it. Like actually all others). It is a completely differen picture if you read about it on the internet and if you actually go out and see.

You got that right, someone always exploits a crisis to make money.

I don't think anyone disputes the climate is changing, but the cause of it is of great debate and that's where the money comes in, and unless the most populated countries get onboard, all the little things everyone else does will probably be a drop in the ocean as far as having much of an effect.

Equally unfortunate, I live in an area where lots of folks seem to like to do their own thing, so I still see a lot of folks without masks. I've already had covid and in the supposed "immunity" 3 month phase, but I'm still wearing a mask for a couple of reasons, first, why not since it's the rule, second I don't want to be "one of those people" looking like I'm making a statement.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 24, 2020 20:24

Bjornulf:
"Looking forward to warmer weather and a normal life!"

Good thoughts. At least the days will get longer, bit by bit.

kovach:
I appreciate you wearing your mask and your reasons.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: December 26, 2020 13:49

The trucks with the first lots of the Pfeizer / BioNTech vaccine for EU/Europe left the factory yesterday, and they are arriving into central secret locations today.

The first small truck with a symbolic number of 9,750 shots of the vaccine crossed the border bridge Svinesund through Sweden into Norway shorty before 7am this morning, and it arrived shortly after 9am this morning to the central Oslo hospital UllevÄl Sykehus, with police escort in snowy weather. Tomorrow the first vaccine shots will be given to residents in elderly homes in the area in and around Oslo city.

Next week, there will be 40,000 more doses arriving every week to Norway, ramping up as the production is being ramping up at the Puurs Belgium facility. EU countries are getting their shares of the Pfeizer vaccine based on their population numbers.

How a tiny Belgian town went from beer exporter to COVID-19 superstar

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-26 13:51 by bv.

Date: December 26, 2020 14:19

Good to know that the vaccines are stored a 10 minute walk from my home smiling smiley

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 26, 2020 23:11

bv

The first small truck with a symbolic number of 9,750 shots of the vaccine

What's the symbolism in the 9,750 number?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 27, 2020 00:38

It would be great if people would mention (repeat) their location in each post, to offer more perspective.

'In my country....' is so fuzzy

confused smiley

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: December 27, 2020 00:41

Full lock -down #3 Starting Sunday December 27!Czech Republic!

Date: December 27, 2020 04:37

peoplewitheyes
It would be great if people would mention (repeat) their location in each post, to offer more perspective.

'In my country....' is so fuzzy

confused smiley

Mandeville, Louisiana - directly North across Lake Pontchartrain from New Orleans. This year aka Hurricane Land! Apparently being in the cone of uncertainty 8 times has concerned some people. Not sure why, although technically we had 4 named storms hit the state, officially five (Hurricane Marco was a complete shooshoo, it's listed as making landfall apparently on a levee in the Mississippi Delta.

Date: December 27, 2020 10:53

CaptainCorella
bv

The first small truck with a symbolic number of 9,750 shots of the vaccine

What's the symbolism in the 9,750 number?

I think all countries in EU / EEA got the same number in the first shipment this week, like a symbol of the actual start of the shipments. After that, the shipments per week are much larger.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...179180181182183184185186187188189...LastNext
Current Page: 184 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2064
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home