Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 29
Re: OT: NFL 2017 season
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 18, 2017 16:59

keefriff99
virgil
keefriff99
virgil
keefriff99
Jeezus, the Hawks are being obliterated.

Pats/Steelers a nail-biter. Steelers look superior but Pats keeping it close.

I'm a Pats fan but I get more enjoyment watching certain teams lose than watching my own team win. Steelers are at the top of the list, so when it's the Pats that beat them on a goal line interception it is so very very sweet.
I'm a Pats fan as well, but goddamn...that game was served up to them on a silver platter.

I agree that catch should always be a touchdown. Imho if the ground cannot cause a fumble why should it be able to cause an incomplete pass. Also Pitt had the easy tie after the overturned TD , you don't call a slant on the goal line with 10 seconds left and no timeouts, That's on Big Ben. Also they had a chance to end the game with the dropped INT on Pats last drive.
Oh, I agree...the Pats were unflappable as always, and they had already practiced for that fake spike maneuver, which is remarkable. It's those little things that allow them to win where other teams would pack it in.

However, Brady has been looking less than stellar for going on three weeks now, and he's been hit A LOT. I so wish Edelman hadn't gotten hurt during the preseason.

Having seen how it ended, I'm almost not disappointed in the fact that I was stuck watching the Titans & 49ers. Or should I say that I wasn't watching NFL in the late afternoon.

Kudos for the Pats coaching on the last play. Ben should have realized that it was not Antonio Brown running that slant and played for overtime.

As far as the td catch that wasn't a td catch... People wonder why the ratings are down for the NFL? It's not politics, it's the product. Most games aren't that great anyway and when there is a good one, it's blocked out in certain markets and then controlled not by players making play but by refs watching tv in NYC.

I'm not going to get all torn up by this one games results, this one won't matter nearly as much as a potential rematch in January. No doubt a call will go my teams way as often as against. Damn refs.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 18, 2017 20:58

keefriffhard4life
the rams are in with a win today right and win that division?

Officially, no. They've not won the division yet by math.

But in reality, yes. The closest team to them in their division is Seattle and they're basically out (done) - just was with a few other teams that are, by math, not out - a lot needs to happen for them to make it.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: December 18, 2017 21:09

Wow did the Ram's do a number on us yesterday every facet of the game!! It's amazing what a good coaching staff can do to turn a team around - That Ram's team reminded me of the young upcoming Hawks team just a few years back. That was a wake-up call 2 games left we can still squeak into the postseason with 2 wins and a lil help.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 18, 2017 21:12

The Rams and the Jags have been pretty badass this year...two big surprises who could be playoff upsets.

Date: December 18, 2017 21:12

NFL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS

AFC
DIVISION LEADERS
[xy] Patriots 11 3
[xy] Steelers 11 3
[x] Jaguars 10 4
Chiefs 8 6

WILD CARD
Titans 8 6
Bills 8 6

STILL POSSIBLE
Ravens 8 6
Chargers 7 7

VERY UNLIKELY
Dolphins 6 8

ELIMINATED
Jets 5 8
Bengals 5 9
Broncos 5 9
Texans 4 10
Colts 3 11
Browns 0 14

NFC
DIVISIONI LEADERS
[xyz] Eagles 12 2
[xy] Vikings 11 3
Rams 10 4
Saints 10 4

WILD CARD
Panthers 10 4
Falcons 8 5

STILL POSSIBLE
Lions 8 6
Seahawks 8 6
Cowboys 8 6

HIGHLY UNLIKELY
Packers 7 7

ELIMINATED
Redskins 6 8
Cardinals 6 8
Buccaneers 4 9
49ers 4 10
Bears 4 10
Giants 2 12

[*] Clinched Homefield Advantage in Playoffs
[y] Clinched Division Title
[z] Clinched First-Round Bye
[x] Clinched Playoff Berth

Date: December 18, 2017 22:20

Watched the Rams/Seahawks highlights - 40-0 until late in the 3rd quarter? Holy crap. Wilson sacked 7 times. That's terrible. That's Seattle imitating Cleveland! There's no way they're making the 2018 playoffs.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: December 18, 2017 22:24

I still say if a team does not have a WINNING record they do not make the playoffs

Have a 9-7 record, AT LEAST, or no playoffs!!
(should say no playoff, cuz an 8-8 team will probably only play one)

Date: December 18, 2017 22:27

Let's Go BUC's !!!!!!

Date: December 18, 2017 22:32

Millions and millions and millions of Dollars.

...is why they added the bye game and started the season a week later a few years back. How much stuff, shirts, jackets, crap, etc etc will be bought and given as Christmas presents this week for teams which are still (supposedly) "in it" but will eliminated after next week?

Date: December 18, 2017 22:38

GasLightStreet
But why on Earth is Cleveland still allowed to be a team!!!!!!!!????????

That team is a disgrace to the league, especially considering they lost their team and then the league gave them a chance to have another one... and they don't win a single game? 0-14? Disgraceful. That is simply horrible leadership/ownership.

Cleveland Steamers indeed.

Date: December 18, 2017 22:38

Leonioid
I still say if a team does not have a WINNING record they do not make the playoffs

"Winning" your division at 7-9 should not automatically qualify you for the playoffs. That's pathetic. A team that finishes 10-6 does not make the playoffs because of the 7-9 "division winner".

Date: December 18, 2017 22:44

GasLightStreet
Leonioid

"Winning" your division at 7-9 should not automatically qualify you for the playoffs. That's pathetic. A team that finishes 10-6 does not make the playoffs because of the 7-9 "division winner".
Agreed

It is a league disgrace if/when a team earns a 10-6 record and misses the playoffs
while a shtbag team at 7-9 moves on as cannon fodder.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: December 19, 2017 00:06

Leonioid
GasLightStreet
Leonioid

Agreed

It is a league disgrace if/when a team earns a 10-6 record and misses the playoffs

You must be referring too, about six years back when Seattle won their division with a 7 & 9 record and got a home game. Then eliminated the defending champs Saints who had a 10 & 6 record. Yea that was pretty sickening. Also back in 2008 the Patriots had an 11&5 record and did not make the playoffs that only happened one other time Denver 11&5 in 1978.

Date: December 19, 2017 00:31

virgil
Leonioid
GasLightStreet
Leonioid

Agreed

You must be referring too, about six years back when Seattle won their division with a 7 & 9 record and got a home game. Then eliminated the defending champs Saints who had a 10 & 6 record. Yea that was pretty sickening. Also back in 2008 the Patriots had an 11&5 record and did not make the playoffs that only happened one other time Denver 11&5 in 1978.

I was not referring to any exact example, I knew it happened, but I forget the details, thank you for providing them.

I am talking about it now, two weeks before the dust settles, because I do not want it to seem like I only care because my team gets the short end of the stick. I am saying it because I think any team, my team, your team, any team that does not have at least a 9-7 record should not be in the postseason. One law for all no matter whose team it is.

Date: December 19, 2017 02:39

I beg to differ - you have to have the division winners clinch, as you play everyone twice in your division and everyone in that division plays against the same teams from other divisions always been that way and should remain that way... Great format
It's extremely rare you get a 7-9 team winning a division but yes it has happened which I agree on sucks but you can't change the system to accommodate a rarity.

Date: December 19, 2017 03:09

umakmehrd
I beg to differ - you have to have the division winners clinch, as you play everyone twice in your division and everyone in that division plays against the same teams from other divisions always been that way and should remain that way... Great format
It's extremely rare you get a 7-9 team winning a division but yes it has happened which I agree on sucks but you can't change the system to accommodate a rarity.
Agreed. Of course it's not a good look if a 7-9 team makes the playoffs, but that just speaks to the low quality of competition that year. It's a rare phenomenon, so let's not act like this is some horrible atrocity.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: December 19, 2017 03:18

keefriff99
umakmehrd
Agreed. Of course it's not a good look if a 7-9 team makes the playoffs, but that just speaks to the low quality of competition that year. It's a rare phenomenon, so let's not act like this is some horrible atrocity.

I agree a division winner should make the playoffs but I don't think they should have an automatic home game which they do no matter their record. I think if a wild card time has a better record than the division winner they are scheduled to play they should get the home game.

Date: December 19, 2017 03:30

umakmehrd

It's part of the 'everyone gets a trophy' mentality. Clinching "winning" the division with a losing record and making the playoffs while other teams with winning records don't make the playoffs is complete crap. Look at the conference - and teams with lesser records get home field advantage while a wild card team with a better record is on the road.

It's completely flawed.

The Saints would've lost to Seattle - or that matter anyone - in the 2011 playoffs at home most likely because they were reduced to nothing with injuries.

Date: December 19, 2017 03:53

Look if the league had a balanced schedule where everyone played everyone then it would be different but its a 16-week schedule.I like the division format it is like a balanced schedule within that division. They are not giving everyone a trophy there is only one Lombardi... usually, the cream rises to the top and in some cases, we see huge upsets that's why we love it...

Date: December 19, 2017 04:01

A better record team being forced to go on the road in the playoffs to play a team with a worse record is completely flawed for many reasons, one of which is it penalizes fans of the better team who should be rewarded with another home game.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-19 04:04 by Leonioid.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 19, 2017 04:15

Can't believe how terrible the Seahawks looked yesterday. Can't believe the majority of their fans stuck around so late in the game!
Both Pittsburgh and the Raiders snatch defeat from the jaws of victory! Very ill advised throw buy Big Ben and a very terrible way for the Raiders to lose. I'd never heard of that rule before this year. It happened to the Bears earlier this year, too. Raiders QB could have run out of bounds at the 1 yard line and they would have been first and goal anyway with enough time to run a few plays.

Date: December 19, 2017 04:16

Leonioid
A better record team being forced to go on the road in the playoffs to play a team with a worse record is completely flawed for many reasons, one of which is it penalizes fans of the better team who should be rewarded with another home game.
Getting rid of divisions in favor of two conferences where the top 8 teams make the playoffs (like in the NBA) only works if there are enough games.

I agree that, with a 16-game schedule and certain teams not playing each other for years, that this is the only way to make it work. It has nothing to do with "everyone gets a trophy". The NFL is the complete opposite of that.

Date: December 19, 2017 04:37

DGA35
Can't believe how terrible the Seahawks looked yesterday. Can't believe the majority of their fans stuck around so late in the game!
Both Pittsburgh and the Raiders snatch defeat from the jaws of victory! Very ill advised throw buy Big Ben and a very terrible way for the Raiders to lose. I'd never heard of that rule before this year. It happened to the Bears earlier this year, too. Raiders QB could have run out of bounds at the 1 yard line and they would have been first and goal anyway with enough time to run a few plays.

That faider loss caused by that bonehead qb play was the most faider thing I have ever seen, Man, that team sucks.

I imagine Hell could be a place where one is told they have to pick between being a fan of the clevelandclowns or the chokelandfaiders... but then the devil laughs says "BOTH!!!" and they play in perpetual over-time because all they ever do is turn the ball over and over and over and fumble and turn over and over and throw interceptions and turn the ball over after over... where the beer is warm and flat and the temperature is sub-zero and

Date: December 19, 2017 04:47

keefriff99
Leonioid
Getting rid of divisions in favor of two conferences where the top 8 teams make the playoffs (like in the NBA) only works if there are enough games.

I agree that, with a 16-game schedule and certain teams not playing each other for years, that this is the only way to make it work. It has nothing to do with "everyone gets a trophy". The NFL is the complete opposite of that.

I don't say get rid of conferences, I just say make the rule that to make the playoffs teams have to have at least a winning 9-7 record and no lower record team ever hosts a playoff game against a team with a better record.

As it was said, it would not happen often, but when it does... tough sht for the losers.

I have no issues if/when this would affect my team.
I know when my team is good and when they are lame... and 8-8 or 7-9 IS LAME!
And if/when my team is lame they should not be rewarded! PLAY HARDER!! DONT BE LAME!

Winning a division at 8-8 is not winning.

There is enough parity in the league that I have never seen a time when one division was so tough/good/talented that is what caused the 8-8 record... but if/when that would ever happen and it was obvious they could re-address the issue.

Teams play enough teams outside their divisions that the records speak for themselves and teams which have 8-8 records have sucked more often than not.

Date: December 19, 2017 04:52

I have never seen or thought "My team is 8-8 because our division is so good."

Date: December 19, 2017 06:05

umakmehrd

each team gets 2 games that are not the same as the rest of their division

Date: December 19, 2017 06:06

DGA35

that has happened at least 5 times just this season where the ball was "fumbled" out of the end zone and its a touchback

Date: December 19, 2017 06:17

When you have a salary cap of course you are going to see more parody its just the way it is. Your going to have way more 8-8 9-7 seasons...you draft build a team properly have great players then you eventually have to pay them all and cut corners in key area's - I really think dynasty's are done I hate to say it but the Patriots are the exception...

Date: December 19, 2017 06:34

keefriffhard4life
DGA35

that has happened at least 5 times just this season where the ball was "fumbled" out of the end zone and its a touchback

I used to play a video game football game that loved giving fumbles as my player was headed into the endzone for a touchdown and was tackled by the cpu player. It was infuriating. Not only did it screw me out of the 6 points which were (almost) in the bank, it gave the damned ball to the cpu team.... fk!!!

It got to the point where I expected the game to screw me like that running in short yardage touchdown, so I became very very careful in those instances. But it would still screw me when my player would catch a pass at the 2-3 yard line, get suddenly tackled at the 1 yard line.... out popped the ball... the fumble rolled through the endzone and... fk!!!!

Those game developers were sadist for how common they made that happen.

I guess that is what caused my harsh reaction to the faiders yesterday, I knew instantly they were screwed when he fumbled it in to and out of the endzone. It brought back the... fk!!!!

Date: December 19, 2017 23:16

keefriffhard4life
umakmehrd

each team gets 2 games that are not the same as the rest of their division

Yes you are correct

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2507
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home