Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 29
Re: OT: NFL 2017 season
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 5, 2017 21:11

mr_dja
Yeah Gronk's hit had no business in the game. I was kind hoping for a suspension/fine that would really serve as a warning to other players that retaliatory hits like that won't be tolerated. I kind of wonder if the suspension wasn't as large due to his reputation (fairly likeable) and his immediate (postgame) regret. I hope that this won't be looked back on as "the first time Gronk..." I'll give a player the benefit of the doubt until it starts becoming a pattern.

Peace,
Mr DJA
His goofiness and likability should have no bearing, but we all know that's not how the world works. But it is Gronk's first serious offense...let's hope it's the last.

Race also factors in (spare me the "race card" whining...not you, mr_dja, but anyone in general who's thinking that).

Just like with Brady barking at Josh McDaniels on the sidelines is interpreted as "passion" and "quest for perfectionism", a black player is considered "unruly" and "out of control" for similar behavior.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 21:12 by keefriff99.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 5, 2017 21:17

Agreed with umakmehrd in disbelief that JuJu didn't get thrown out last night. Even though I was rooting for his team and I've come to kind of like him as a player, I won't deny my disappointment in his taunting last night. I'm all for playing hard (the hit itself was boarder-line from what I saw) but the taunting was unacceptable. I like for the teams and players I root for to "be the bigger man" and "not sink to their level". Last night he "sunk to their level".

I forget if it was Walter Payton or Barry Sanders who I first heard attributing their lack of a touchdown celebration to having been taught to "act like you've been there before". I don't mind a bit of trash talk between the players but I don't need to see players standing over each other taunting them.

Peace,
Mr. DJA

Date: December 5, 2017 22:13

keefriff99
mr_dja
Yeah Gronk's hit had no business in the game. I was kind hoping for a suspension/fine that would really serve as a warning to other players that retaliatory hits like that won't be tolerated. I kind of wonder if the suspension wasn't as large due to his reputation (fairly likeable) and his immediate (postgame) regret. I hope that this won't be looked back on as "the first time Gronk..." I'll give a player the benefit of the doubt until it starts becoming a pattern.

Peace,
Mr DJA
His goofiness and likability should have no bearing, but we all know that's not how the world works. But it is Gronk's first serious offense...let's hope it's the last.

Race also factors in (spare me the "race card" whining...not you, mr_dja, but anyone in general who's thinking that).

Just like with Brady barking at Josh McDaniels on the sidelines is interpreted as "passion" and "quest for perfectionism", a black player is considered "unruly" and "out of control" for similar behavior.

Agreed on all points.

I guess I don't have as much of a problem with the players prior reputation being a factor sometimes but I also think it would have to be dependent on the "infraction" as well. Someone who brags and boasts about taking people out and then regularly does so while showing no contrition should be watched a bit closer than someone who just plays hard and clean within the rules and flow of the game.

I too am tired of racial preconception as well. Punks come in all colors from what I've seen. Again, I think that by watching players over time you can see patterns develop and not have to consider their race when coming to a conclusion. Manning (either of them) vs. Manzell. Pretty obvious differences. Marcus Mariota or Russell Wilson vs. Cam Newton or Jameis Winston. Maturity can be a huge issue sometimes. Race, not so much (at least in my mind). Disclaimer: my implied "negative view" of Newton and Winston may not currently be the best examples. I'm just trying to flash back to "negative headlines" and will be the first to admit that I had to go back in time a bit to find them in my memory as examples of "opposites" to Mariota & Wilson.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 6, 2017 02:26

umakmehrd
That was just a nasty game last night those 2 teams have a history of nasty football - Can't believe JuJu was not thrown out of the game.. a chicken sh*# blindside then stands over and taunts him... wow

Spread the word - Vontaze Burfict was faking it. He's a FAKE.

Date: December 6, 2017 02:28

Gronk's hit was ridiculous.

What the hell was he thinking? That is the DUMBEST thing I've seen in quite a while.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 6, 2017 03:08

GasLightStreet

What the hell was he thinking? That is the DUMBEST thing I've seen in quite a while.

[www.youtube.com]

evidently the league agrees. suspension upheld. i saw some footage of darth belichek apologizing to the buffalo coach postgame. the evil one was not amused in the least.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: December 6, 2017 04:26

GasLightStreet
umakmehrd
That was just a nasty game last night those 2 teams have a history of nasty football - Can't believe JuJu was not thrown out of the game.. a chicken sh*# blindside then stands over and taunts him... wow

He was placed on a backboard and carted off the field with a head injury...

Date: December 6, 2017 15:38

umakmehrd
GasLightStreet
umakmehrd

He was placed on a backboard and carted off the field with a head injury...

Only after he tried to get up and grab Ju Ju by the leg. And after he had faked arm injuries (requiring stoppage of play) twice previously in the game. I won't claim to know how badly hurt he was but, based on his prior actions, he lost the benefit of the doubt where I'm concerned. He may not have been faking but he certainly seemed to be opportunistic in his injuries and possibly be attempting to use them to his advantage.

That being said, under current rules, Ju Ju's hit was a violation and he was absolutely acting like a jacka$$ by standing over Burfict and taunting him. I offer no excuses on his behalf and, as a Steelers fan, was disappointed by his conduct.

My biggest confusion is how Gronk and Ju Ju got the same suspension. I thought Gronks actions were significantly worse than JuJu's. Who knows, maybe the actions of Gronk & his coach in the immediate aftermath lowered his penalty and JuJu's dumba$$edness after the play was over made his more severe than it would have been otherwise. Hard to know what the executives are thinking sometimes.

Lets all hope for better play and conduct as the season progresses.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 6, 2017 17:24

This is why some people are saying Burfict was faking his injury.

[www.nfl.com]

Date: December 6, 2017 19:46

Yea I get it Burfict is indeed one of the dirtiest players in the league and yes he had something coming his way.... The only thing I hate on that hit and Gronks is the guys did not see it coming. Hey you wanna blow some one up on the field that's awesome... look him in the eye and put your shoulder right through his chest. I think both hits are gutless and shocked Gronk only got 1 game - I think you guys are onto something with his reputation we can only hope if he does something similar they punish accordingly... doubtful though with this regime.

Go Hawks... 12's 12's 12's

Date: December 7, 2017 02:16

crholmstrom
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

evidently the league agrees. suspension upheld. i saw some footage of darth belichek apologizing to the buffalo coach postgame. the evil one was not amused in the least.
I know Belichick is considered a Sith Lord outside of New England, but he is not about dirty on-field play and he wants his players comporting themselves professionally. He was legitimately NOT happy and some sports yakkers I listen are even speculating that it could even affect Gronk's long-term future in New England (with Belichick being the GM).

Date: December 7, 2017 03:02

keefriff99
crholmstrom
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

I know Belichick is considered a Sith Lord outside of New England, but he is not about dirty on-field play and he wants his players comporting themselves professionally. He was legitimately NOT happy and some sports yakkers I listen are even speculating that it could even affect Gronk's long-term future in New England (with Belichick being the GM).

i don't care for belichick but i have utmost respect for him as a coach. there have also have been those instances of skirting the rules (filming other team practice, etc.). everybody does stuff like that though, including my seahawks. darth belichick's press conferences are pretty funny too. i had the same thought about gronk's future with new england. any more incidents like that, he will be gone. they had audio on what belichick said to the buffalo coach. he was pissed & it was genuine. as it should be. that hit was ridiculous.

Date: December 7, 2017 03:05

keefriff99
crholmstrom
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

You're probably predicting the future accurately - Gronk's attitude has gotten ahead of him. He probably thinks he's untouchable. There's only one on that team and it throws the ball. And rightfully so.

Who was that guy that went to Denver? That's Gronk in 2018.

Date: December 7, 2017 03:21

I think the Pats won a superbowl without him.....
They are 20 - 5 without GRONK in the lineup so yes I can see them having enough of the Gronk show soon.

Date: December 7, 2017 03:22

are any of you guys fantasy football guys?
quick question playoff game this week would you start Wentz or Rivers ??

Date: December 7, 2017 04:15

umakmehrd
are any of you guys fantasy football guys?
quick question playoff game this week would you start Wentz or Rivers ??

i'm not active but am a sounding board for my friend. she does pretty well. i'd go rivers for sure this week. rams have a pretty stout defense, thanks to bum's boy wade. rivers is playing the washington dc (dysfunctional city) team. they are decimated with injuries. chargers took a while to get going but they are playing real well right now.

Date: December 7, 2017 19:39

Good point about the Redskin defence.

Thanks cr

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: December 7, 2017 19:51

I'm glad to say I haven't watched one minute of these Dis-respectful over grown baby Thugs this year, they make more in 30 minutes than I make in a year, taking a @#$%& knee, @#$%& dis-respectful bastards, I wish they all could be scooped up, drop out over Iran, N.Korea, Russia, etc, they would be kicking and screaming to get back in this country...I would like to ask them what dollar domination are you being paid in...pesos, rubbles, etc, NO, US @#$%& DOLLARS... Take This Politic shit elsewhere. I will no longer ever be watching. We live in 2017, You've Got Any Right You Want and More..Give Me A @#$%& Break......

ROLL Tide Roll

Date: December 8, 2017 01:09

Thanks Bama - So I should start Wentz?

Date: December 8, 2017 02:09

BamaStone
I'm glad to say I haven't watched one minute of these Dis-respectful over grown baby Thugs this year, they make more in 30 minutes than I make in a year, taking a @#$%& knee, @#$%& dis-respectful bastards, I wish they all could be scooped up, drop out over Iran, N.Korea, Russia, etc, they would be kicking and screaming to get back in this country...I would like to ask them what dollar domination are you being paid in...pesos, rubbles, etc, NO, US @#$%& DOLLARS... Take This Politic shit elsewhere. I will no longer ever be watching. We live in 2017, You've Got Any Right You Want and More..Give Me A @#$%& Break......

ROLL Tide Roll

Uh.... OK.

Hope the Saints beat the hell out of Cantlanta!

Date: December 8, 2017 02:57

umakmehrd
Thanks Bama - So I should start Wentz?
Blahahaha. Nicely done.

Looks like Joe Bob Bama forgot to take his meds.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 8, 2017 03:35

BamaStone

ROLL Tide Roll
Soooo... Moore supporter? (wild guess cool smiley )

Date: December 8, 2017 07:06

Saints got beat up bad. Another example of why Thursday night football is a bad idea. Good game though. They should beat Cantlanta at home in 3 weeks.

Date: December 8, 2017 07:31

GasLightStreet
Saints got beat up bad. Another example of why Thursday night football is a bad idea. Good game though. They should beat Cantlanta at home in 3 weeks.

whats crazy is depending on the wins and losses the panthers , saints and falcons could all make the playoffs and seattle and Detroit could go 10-6 and miss the playoffs

Date: December 8, 2017 07:42

keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet

whats crazy is depending on the wins and losses the panthers , saints and falcons could all make the playoffs and seattle and Detroit could go 10-6 and miss the playoffs

Still nowhere as bad as the 7-9 Seahawks making the playoffs. Talk about a JOKE. The whole 'division winner' automatically getting in is terrible - a trophy for losers. It should be conference ranked strictly be record.

Date: December 8, 2017 09:34

GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet

Still nowhere as bad as the 7-9 Seahawks making the playoffs. Talk about a JOKE. The whole 'division winner' automatically getting in is terrible - a trophy for losers. It should be conference ranked strictly be record.

I agree

Date: December 8, 2017 11:14

GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet

that game where hawks beat saints did feature 1 of the greatest running plays of all time though. i still watch it. that was where things started to turn for the hawks after decades of basically suffering. GO HAWKS!

Date: December 8, 2017 15:32

GasLightStreet
Was surprised to see the game swing late. That was a must-win game for Atlanta.

Thursday night football is such a terrible idea. The players need a full week to recuperate, end of story.

Date: December 8, 2017 15:48

keefriff99
GasLightStreet

Thursday night football is such a terrible idea. The players need a full week to recuperate, end of story.

agreed. if they need a non sun/mon game why not friday night?

Date: December 8, 2017 15:58

keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
GasLightStreet

agreed. if they need a non sun/mon game why not friday night?

Friday night in many areas is high school football night. The NFL & the marketers know their audience and won't try to sell a game on tv when much of their audience is busy. That's why they don't try playing on Saturday's until the main college season is over.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1874
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home