Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 61
Re: "Mick Jagger" video shoot in London - "Gotta Get a Grip"?
Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 10, 2017 04:56

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Skepta: [en.m.wikipedia.org]

"Skepta, is a British grime artist, rapper,"...etc.etc..

Grime artist? WTF is that?

I typed in 'Skepta' in to youtube search, and this is the very first video:

Skepta - Shutdown

I predict another Superheavy/Will.I.Am type collaboration with all the current bells and whistles thrown in...along with some rapping* throughout.
Seems Mick is aiming for the youngsters again while trying to be young himself...will it be any good?
I probably would have been happier with an acoustic blues tune instead, or even another crappy country duet with Don Henley...but won't judge until I hear it.

*Theres nothing completely wrong with Rap IMO as I do like a few old rap tunes myself (Geto Boys come to mind), but does it really belong on a Jagger/Stones recording? (see Anybody Seen My Baby)

Skepta's a fascinating choice for Mick. While there are far more commercial varieties of rap/dance/electro/house music, there's always been a hard-edged underground cool to Grime. (Dizzee Rascal's record that won the Mercury in 2003 is well worth a listen.) So, although Skepta is certainly hot within the genre, his numbers in general aren't off-the-charts high; Mick could certainly have chosen to hook up with someone a bit more mainstream if he wanted a Taylor Swifty-esque dance collaboration.

One thing our Micky probably doesn't get enough credit for is his ongoing love for black music. You may argue that this evolving love hasn't produced many 'hits,' but it's undeniable that Mr. Jagger's love for black music didn't begin and end with the blues. At every step of his career, Mick has indicated an interest in, support of, and love for the newest flavors of African-American pop music.

I think that's pretty cool.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 10, 2017 04:58

One thing our Micky probably doesn't get enough credit for is his ongoing love for black music. You may argue that this evolving love hasn't produced many 'hits,' but it's undeniable that Mr. Jagger's love for black music didn't begin and end with the blues. At every step of his career, Mick has indicated an interest in, support of, and love for the newest flavors of African-American pop music.

YES...... well spoken Longeeeeeeee

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 10, 2017 05:21

agreed.....he doesn't get enough credit for stretching outside of a Stonesy comfort zone.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 10, 2017 06:59

LongBeachArena72
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

Skepta - Shutdown

I predict another Superheavy/Will.I.Am type collaboration with all the current bells and whistles thrown in...along with some rapping* throughout.
Seems Mick is aiming for the youngsters again while trying to be young himself...will it be any good?
I probably would have been happier with an acoustic blues tune instead, or even another crappy country duet with Don Henley...but won't judge until I hear it.

*Theres nothing completely wrong with Rap IMO as I do like a few old rap tunes myself (Geto Boys come to mind), but does it really belong on a Jagger/Stones recording? (see Anybody Seen My Baby)

Skepta's a fascinating choice for Mick. While there are far more commercial varieties of rap/dance/electro/house music, there's always been a hard-edged underground cool to Grime. (Dizzee Rascal's record that won the Mercury in 2003 is well worth a listen.) So, although Skepta is certainly hot within the genre, his numbers in general aren't off-the-charts high; Mick could certainly have chosen to hook up with someone a bit more mainstream if he wanted a Taylor Swifty-esque dance collaboration.

Indeed it is very cool - so many tunes I could list that have been inspired by African American music - and not just the new flavors of the day. But I don't think it's just Mick, as Keith also wears his influences on his sleeve (although he's not as pro-active in embracing the newest flavor of the day). For both of them (solo and and as the Stones) - aside from the blues, you have the soul, the funk, the reggae, the gospel, the r&b, etc., etc., etc,. It just seems that when Mick goes out on his own, the results are usually subpar, but with Keith there seems to be a bit more sincerity (not starting a Keith vs. Mick argument). Ultimately, when it all goes down with the Stones as a band, more often that not it's successful - at least as far as sound goes. Maybe this new collaboration will break the cycle? Or will it be another so-so affair ala Superheavy and/or Will.I.Am? Until I hear it, hard to say.

Date: July 10, 2017 07:06

Hairball
LongBeachArena72
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

Skepta - Shutdown

Indeed it is very cool - so many tunes I could list that have been inspired by African American music - and not just the new flavors of the day. But I don't think it's just Mick, as Keith also wears his influences on his sleeve (although he's not as pro-active in embracing the newest flavor of the day). For both of them (solo and and as the Stones) - aside from the blues, you have the soul, the funk, the reggae, the gospel, the r&b, etc., etc., etc,. It just seems that when Mick goes out on his own, the results are usually subpar, but with Keith there seems to be a bit more sincerity (not starting a Keith vs. Mick argument). Ultimately, when it all goes down with the Stones as a band, more often that not it's successful - at least as far as sound goes. Maybe this new collaboration will break the cycle? Or will it be another so-so affair ala Superheavy and/or Will.I.Am? Until I hear it, hard to say.

I'm not sure exactly when it occurred (probably coincided with the rise of hip-hop) but Keith became a calcified crotchety get-off-my-lawn old grandpa when it comes to youthful black music forms. He digs what he digs and he knows how to mine that seam ... but he's lost interest in what's new. That's cool, too. Just a different way of being.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 10, 2017 07:10

[www.youtube.com]

Here's calcified Keith playing guitar on a track he and Steve Jordan co-wrote and gifted to the Somali-Canadian rapper K'naan who finished it off. This came about early in the sessions for CROSSEYED HEART.

Date: July 10, 2017 07:13

hey yeah ... got that K'naan one shelved somewhere .....

Butt Butt .... I dig Micks vocals when he comes in on that club-bitchin' The Hardest Ever .....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 10, 2017 07:16

LongBeachArena72
Hairball
LongBeachArena72
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

Skepta - Shutdown

I'm not sure exactly when it occurred (probably coincided with the rise of hip-hop) but Keith became a calcified crotchety get-off-my-lawn old grandpa when it comes to youthful black music forms. He digs what he digs and he knows how to mine that seam ... but he's lost interest in what's new. That's cool, too. Just a different way of being.

Lol that's what I meant when I said he's not as pro-active in embracing the newest flavor of the day - but remember, he also hates Sgt. Peppers, John Bonham, Black Sabbath, Metallica, etc., etc., etc....his crotchety grumpiness know no boundaries, and sometimes you wonder if he's losing his marbles when he comes up with these random rants.

Date: July 10, 2017 07:16

Mick's vocals were great, but the lyrics were stupid. "Hard like geometry and trigonometry?" Yeah, I heard that and wished Jimmy Iovine would produce The Stones if that's what he can make Mick sing like. He really tried with that one and delivered.

Date: July 10, 2017 07:21

The guys oooout there ..... but dem subjects proberly was hard four Will.i.am ....HHHHaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: July 10, 2017 07:25

Rocky Dijon
Mick's vocals were great, but the lyrics were stupid. "Hard like geometry and trigonometry?" Yeah, I heard that and wished Jimmy Iovine would produce The Stones if that's what he can make Mick sing like. He really tried with that one and delivered.

When Mick comes in he is definitely the highlight, it's the other 90% of the tune that makes it a harsh listen as a whole song. Same with some of the Superheavy stuff...for me the highlights of that were Damian Marley and Mick, but in order to hear them I had to wade through loads of the other nonsense which weakened the entire listening experience. I mean Joss Stone has a great voice and all (plus very good looking), but her vocals always stuck out and didn't quite gel with the rest imo.

Date: July 10, 2017 07:25

Rocky Dijon
[www.youtube.com]

Here's calcified Keith playing guitar on a track he and Steve Jordan co-wrote and gifted to the Somali-Canadian rapper K'naan who finished it off. This came about early in the sessions for CROSSEYED HEART.

I'd never heard that before; that's a cool song.

Date: July 10, 2017 07:28

Hairball
Lol that's what I meant when I said he's not as pro-active in embracing the newest flavor of the day - but remember, he also hates Sgt. Peppers, John Bonham, Black Sabbath, Metallica, etc., etc., etc....his crotchety grumpiness know no boundaries, and sometimes you wonder if he's losing his marbles when he comes up with these random rants.

In Keith's defense, I think a lot of these remarks are actually timed to some PR event. He was all over the place, dissing not only rap, but Metallica, Sgt Peppers, etc, etc, etc, during the run-up to X-eyed Heart. Mebbe dude just knows how to get ink ...

Date: July 10, 2017 07:31

Apart from the lovely "I Don't Mind," SUPERHEAVY usually felt like Josh was translating for Mick so listeners understood him. This started with "Lonely Without You" and just became routine. SUPERHEAVY should have been better, but even Mick on his own ("Never Gonna Change" and "I Can't Take It No More") was pretty uninspired. Damian and Rahman did a great job with Mick on "Warring People." That's probably my favorite track. Something like "Hey Captain" just left me wondering what the hell they were trying to do. "One Day, One Night" made me want to kick in the TV. I'll give them one star for making me the effort to try and mix things up, but it didn't show any of them at their best. A. R. Rahman probably came off sounding the most uninhibited by the culture clashes. Dave Stewart barely registered as a presence to my ears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-10 07:32 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: July 10, 2017 07:32

No, you guys are mistaken; everything about the will.I.am song is horrible.

Although at the very beginning of the video for it he does bust through a number of obstacles ... couldn't Micky have remembered that when his own band ran up against a proverbial wall just a few years later?

Date: July 10, 2017 07:33

aaaaawwww come-on boys if ya sneaked out for da night and ya
ended up on the club-floor struttin'with some hot-arse babe and
Hardest Ever came on I doubt you'd be worried about the lyrics .... HHHaaaaaa Haaahhh .....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 10, 2017 07:33

Wait a minute, wasn't that TRON?

Date: July 10, 2017 07:37

Rockman
aaaaawwww come-on boys if ya sneaked out for da night and ya
ended up on the club-floor struttin'with some hot-arse babe and
Hardest Ever came on I doubt you'd be worried about the lyrics .... HHHaaaaaa Haaahhh .....

I'm too domesticated for that sort of fol-de-rol, Man'O'Rock. Wouldn't be worried about any lyrics; would be worried about getting my nuts chopped off by my lovely wife.

Date: July 10, 2017 07:41

Hang 'em HIGH Longeeeeeeeeeeeee....and getting the perfume off ya shirt is even worse

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-10 07:42 by Rockman.

Date: July 10, 2017 08:05

Now that I shaved off my facial hair, I resemble Aleister Crowley. You don't want that in a dance club. You need to remember, Terry, not all of us look like rock stars. Bloody Antipodean Keith Richards that you are.

Date: July 10, 2017 08:09

A.C. !!!!! ..... Rocky you need to do some work on signature

ROCKMAN

Date: July 10, 2017 08:11

ROCKMAN

Date: July 10, 2017 08:36

That "A" is awfully dirty.

Date: July 10, 2017 08:51

..... maybe you could do a little work on your Rock and D ...hhhhaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: July 10, 2017 09:12

My actual autograph does contain a breast-shaped "W." That's more Terry Jones than Aleister Crowley.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 10, 2017 09:13

LongBeachArena72
Cristiano Radtke
LongBeachArena72
Cristiano Radtke
LongBeachArena72
I'm curious what people think: is there any real benefit or advantage these days to producing a music video? Will it move more digital or physical units? Influence streams?

Not trying to be flip, just honestly wonder what purpose it serves, beyond a sort of 'that's the way we've always done it before.' It seems very last century to me ... but maybe there's some good reason for doing it?

That's a very good and interesting observation. I really can't see Mick's videos having billions of views on YouTube like some artists have these days. Take as an example the latest Rolling Stones video (Ride'em on Down), which has 15 million+ views in 7 months, which is more or less the same views that Katy Perry's latest video have but after only 6 days.

Yeah, the stats are even worse for "doom and gloom" --9 million after several years--and "hate to see you go"--only 4 million. Hard to believe numbers like that lead to anything meaningful in terms of promotion. I suspect it may just be habit, part of a legacy approach--"hey, we've got new product ...how're we gonna market it? i know! ... let's do a video!"

Yes, that makes sense. thumbs up

It's very curious to notice that their most viewed video is not really "new": the "official lyric video" for Paint it Black, posted in november 2015, which has 57 million + views so far.

I can't prove it but I think there's something going on with "Paint It, Black."

It's consistently among their top 3 or 4 most-streamed songs on Spotify (at the moment it's got 13MM more streams than "Start Me Up," e.g.). It's a great song, of course, but I think there must be some kind of media tie-in or mention of it in some other artist's feed that is driving at least some of this traffic.
Paint It Black is one of those omnipresent Stones songs that has consistently been used for video game (Call of Duty, Twisted Metal) and movie soundtracks year after year (Full Metal Jacket, Devil's Advocate and, most recently, Tom Cruise's Mummy film).

It's so omnipresent in the zeitgeist that I think younger kids are constantly being exposed to it and then they go look it up on YouTube or Spotify.

Plus it has a dark, brooding, heavy sound, with that pounding tom back beat that appeals to young people even 50 years later. That sound was so ahead of its time.

Date: July 10, 2017 09:20

Paint it Black has always been Top 10 Stones track for me.

Musically, lyrically, vocally...it's a killer tune in every way.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 10, 2017 11:10

LongBeachArena72

Perhaps you'll pardon me if I remain a bit Skepta-cal about the choice.

It isn't necessarily that Mick is especially interested in "black" music per se. He's just interested in what is perceived as current.

You know, if circus music were current instead of rap or whatever they call it nowadays (yes, at 50, I'm one of those old fogeys who can't name a single popular song that's come out in the past 30 years -- I can't even name a single one of Jon Von Blow-Me's songs from the 80s), then Mick would be moving about saying, "Step right up, ladies and gentlemen and see 'im, Mick Jagger, the Senior Devil!"

Seriously, you know, if I had a music column going, I think I'd call it "The Skeptic Tank" or something.

There are two Mick Jaggers. There's the one who drags around this group of old colleagues of more than a half century, and there's this other guy who hangs out with his Hollywood friends, keeping up on all the new music outside his day job, pretending like the rap stuff is what he'd really rather be doing, instead of all that Jack Flash and Street Fightin' Man that got him all the chicks back in the day.

Now instead he's going to piggy-back on another generation's ideas, like this is always where he was supposed to be all along... while next year he'll be that legendary figure singing about "Satisfaction" and all the rest of it.

Yes, this is Heart of Stone, flushing another issue of "The Skeptic Tank" into the river of... oh, I don't know... I just gotta get a grip on the handle of the urinal and get out of here, that urinal pad is starting to stink...

Well, that’s my 8 beers’ worth for tonight. The Skeptic Tank, going to press (issue 1).

Date: July 10, 2017 12:26

Rocky Dijon
Apart from the lovely "I Don't Mind," SUPERHEAVY usually felt like Josh was translating for Mick so listeners understood him. This started with "Lonely Without You" and just became routine. SUPERHEAVY should have been better, but even Mick on his own ("Never Gonna Change" and "I Can't Take It No More") was pretty uninspired. Damian and Rahman did a great job with Mick on "Warring People." That's probably my favorite track. Something like "Hey Captain" just left me wondering what the hell they were trying to do. "One Day, One Night" made me want to kick in the TV. I'll give them one star for making me the effort to try and mix things up, but it didn't show any of them at their best. A. R. Rahman probably came off sounding the most uninhibited by the culture clashes. Dave Stewart barely registered as a presence to my ears.

I thought Rahman did the best stuff on that album. He was a bit hidden away, though.

Re: "Mick Jagger" video shoot in London?
Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 10, 2017 12:46

Looks like I may have been right:

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 6, 2017 00:39

Jagger/Skepta collab?

I won't be at all surprised if this comes to pass. Skepta's Mercury Prize winning Konnichiwa is one of the best albums from a British artist for many years, and many artists will want to work with such an authentic musician.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1570
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home