Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 61
Re: "Mick Jagger" video shoot in London - "Gotta Get a Grip"?
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 11, 2017 05:56

Hairball
keefriff99
Hairball
Along with Eminem as you mentioned, there was also the Beastie Boys who opened it up for a lot of young white boys who wanted to fight for their right to party. They were critically acclaimed and very successful.
And to a much lesser degree - Vanilla Ice. No matter how much of a fraudulent fool he would eventually be proven to be, he did have a large fan base of mostly white kids glued to their MTV. I doubt he was critically acclaimed (unless it was for being a clown), but he was successful for a short period. I do agree though that rap and hip hop is clearly black art form and remains today a black-produced phenomenon that hasn't been diluted in the same way rock, blues, and many other genres have been. But maybe it will take someone with the super star status of Mick Jagger and his foray in to the rap world with the help of Skepta to change all that, but I highly doubt it.
Eh...I have to STRONGLY disagree with the Vanilla Ice inclusion.

I was 13 when Ice Ice Baby was a big hit, so I can attest to how WILDLY popular he was for a VERY short period of time, but to include him alongside Eminem and the Beastie Boys does them a tremendous disservice and gives him props that he absolutely doesn't deserve.

He was a flash-in-the-pan one hit wonder, nothing more.

I did say "to a much lesser degree" and "for a short period", and you said he was "was a big hit" and was "WILDLY popular...for a VERY short period of time" so not sure what you're STRONGLY disagreeing about.
While he may have been a "flash-in-the-pan one hit wonder" the fact remains he had an influence on many white kids and was somewhat successful.
But I'm not here to argue about Vanilla Ice, so will leave it at that. thumbs up

cool smiley
Lol, I'm just saying that Eminem and the Beastie Boys, in addition to being incredibly talented, have stood the test of time and have been popular for decades.

Vanilla Ice has more in common with that guy, Snow. Remember him?

[www.youtube.com]

I used to LOVE this song when I was 13 too. I miss the early '90s.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 11, 2017 05:56

Hairball
LongBeachArena72
OMG, Ed Sheeran. Talented kid. I actually dig him. And because there's no song that's not improved by Muppets, here's my favorite Ed song.

But he's so cuddly and commercial can you possibly imagine the firestorm of ridicule that would have been heaped down upon Sir Michael's head had he been the one touting Eddie?

Sometimes a picture can speak louder than words, and I can tell by looking at this pic that Mick loves EVERTHING about Ed Sheeran and his music.

winking smiley

Is Mick grabbing Eddie's ass?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 11, 2017 06:00

LongBeachArena72
Hairball
Along with Eminem as you mentioned, there was also the Beastie Boys who opened it up for a lot of young white boys who wanted to fight for their right to party. They were critically acclaimed and very successful.
And to a much lesser degree - Vanilla Ice. No matter how much of a fraudulent fool he would eventually be proven to be, he did have a large fan base of mostly white kids glued to their MTV. I doubt he was critically acclaimed (unless it was for being a clown), but he was successful for a short period. I do agree though that rap and hip hop is clearly black art form and remains today a black-produced phenomenon that hasn't been diluted in the same way rock, blues, and many other genres have been. But maybe it will take someone with the super star status of Mick Jagger and his foray in to the rap world with the help of Skepta to change all that, but I highly doubt it.

I am ridiculously embarrassed to have omitted the Beasties. Paul's Boutique is one of the great records of the 80's, in any genre.

I don't expect much to happen as a result of the Skepta/Jagger collab; I just think it's cool that Mick is still out there, searching, trying, looking for new ways to create music.

Yeah I wasn't assuming you would expect anything major to result in the Skepta/Jagger collab - I was kind of thinking out loud and being semi-sarcastic.
But maybe some of the Stones loving rap haters will be converted? winking smiley

Date: July 11, 2017 06:03

I guess I'm between two extremes here. I think that a lot of Mick's solo career has been a bit desperate and trend-hopping, while also believing that he probably genuinely enjoyed the collaborations, and that some of the music that came out of it has been pretty damn good.

For instance, I think God Gave Me Everything is a great pop rock song, while at the same time seeing it as an attempt to grab a late-career Top 10 hit. Why can't both things be true?

Date: July 11, 2017 06:03

keefriff99
Hairball
keefriff99
Hairball
Eh...I have to STRONGLY disagree with the Vanilla Ice inclusion.

I was 13 when Ice Ice Baby was a big hit, so I can attest to how WILDLY popular he was for a VERY short period of time, but to include him alongside Eminem and the Beastie Boys does them a tremendous disservice and gives him props that he absolutely doesn't deserve.

He was a flash-in-the-pan one hit wonder, nothing more.

I did say "to a much lesser degree" and "for a short period", and you said he was "was a big hit" and was "WILDLY popular...for a VERY short period of time" so not sure what you're STRONGLY disagreeing about.
While he may have been a "flash-in-the-pan one hit wonder" the fact remains he had an influence on many white kids and was somewhat successful.
But I'm not here to argue about Vanilla Ice, so will leave it at that. thumbs up

cool smiley
Lol, I'm just saying that Eminem and the Beastie Boys, in addition to being incredibly talented, have stood the test of time and have been popular for decades.

Vanilla Ice has more in common with that guy, Snow. Remember him?

[www.youtube.com]

I used to LOVE this song when I was 13 too. I miss the early '90s.

Lol SNOW!!! I completely forgot about him - he was another one who was all over mtv.
I think he had more street cred and was more legit than Vanilla Ice. lol

Date: July 11, 2017 06:05

The best part about Snow is that he was a white guy from Canada who learned reggae from his Jamaican immigrant neighbors, and that's how he broke into music.

Who says multiculturalism is bad? Lol

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 11, 2017 06:43

EddieByword
I don't know about 'The Skeptic Tank' more like 'The Pretentious drivel Tank'..........

confused smiley
Not that I was actually "talking" to you, but as we used to say in the States: [www.youtube.com]

Date: July 11, 2017 06:47

I'll admit to liking one hip-hop (influenced) ditty, and it was made by white guys who never made a whole career out of it, because they had other forms of black music to poach, just like the Stones: [www.youtube.com]

Date: July 11, 2017 07:54

stonehearted
I'll admit to liking one hip-hop (influenced) ditty, and it was made by white guys who never made a whole career out of it, because they had other forms of black music to poach, just like the Stones: [www.youtube.com]

I was going to mention the Clash - that song is great! Blondie also had the song Rapture which had some rap in it:

Blondie - Rapture

Also, the Red Hot Chili Peppers were rapping a lot on their first few albums - one of which was produced by funk master George Clinton.

keefriff99
The best part about Snow is that he was a white guy from Canada who learned reggae from his Jamaican immigrant neighbors, and that's how he broke into music.

Speaking of one hit wonders from the early '90s with some hints of rap - Unbelievable by EMF.

EMF - Unbelievable

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-11 07:56 by Hairball.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 11, 2017 08:02

"I just think it's cool that Mick is still out there, searching, trying, looking for new ways to create music."

Me too, Longbeach. What else is the guy who's done everything suppose to do?
You gotta fight for your right to party ;-)

Date: July 11, 2017 11:12

Hairball
stonehearted

I was going to mention the Clash - that song is great! Blondie also had the song Rapture which had some rap in it:

Blondie - Rapture

Also, the Red Hot Chili Peppers were rapping a lot on their first few albums - one of which was produced by funk master George Clinton.

keefriff99

Speaking of one hit wonders from the early '90s with some hints of rap - Unbelievable by EMF.

EMF - Unbelievable

I think Hall & Oates is another act who brought black music backa round; recycled and bleached a bit, but very good.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 11, 2017 12:19

stonehearted
EddieByword
stonehearted
Perhaps you'll pardon me if I remain a bit Skepta-cal about the choice.

It isn't necessarily that Mick is especially interested in "black" music per se. He's just interested in what is perceived as current.

You know, if circus music were current instead of rap or whatever they call it nowadays (yes, at 50, I'm one of those old fogeys who can't name a single popular song that's come out in the past 30 years -- I can't even name a single one of Jon Von Blow-Me's songs from the 80s), then Mick would be moving about saying, "Step right up, ladies and gentlemen and see 'im, Mick Jagger, the Senior Devil!"

Seriously, you know, if I had a music column going, I think I'd call it "The Skeptic Tank" or something.

There are two Mick Jaggers. There's the one who drags around this group of old colleagues of more than a half century, and there's this other guy who hangs out with his Hollywood friends, keeping up on all the new music outside his day job, pretending like the rap stuff is what he'd really rather be doing, instead of all that Jack Flash and Street Fightin' Man that got him all the chicks back in the day.

Now instead he's going to piggy-back on another generation's ideas, like this is always where he was supposed to be all along... while next year he'll be that legendary figure singing about "Satisfaction" and all the rest of it.

Yes, this is Heart of Stone, flushing another issue of "The Skeptic Tank" into the river of... oh, I don't know... I just gotta get a grip on the handle of the urinal and get out of here, that urinal pad is starting to stink...

Well, that’s my 8 beers’ worth for tonight. The Skeptic Tank, going to press (issue 1).

wow......with this 'insight' into the inner workings of MJ, it's a true wonder you're not on a retainer as his shrink..........eye rolling smiley

You remind me of all those green eyed radio 1 disc jockeys from 1978 who on the release of Some girls could only bring themselves to issue a similar relentless derogatory commentary all through that summer..........

"Oh, look at that MJ", (Nb. Only Mick was singled out despite it being a Stones release) ......"Jumping on the disco band wagon with that Miss You and the punk band wagon with that Respectable and When the whip comes down and Lies and the Country band wagon with that Faraway Eyes and the .....what?...Shattered?.....what the hell is that?....and, and, and Beast of burden for the ballad wagon and Some girls....what? blues?....Oh, he's beeen leeching off the blues for years".................

I don't know about 'The Skeptic Tank' more like 'The Pretentious drivel Tank'..........

confused smiley

Not that I was actually "talking" to you, but as we used to say in the States: [www.youtube.com]

When 'you' publish in an open forum on the internet, you're 'talking' to eveyone that can use a computer.....like it or not......btw, I didn't bother with your link........ ......as they say in England......Bye bye...

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-11 14:10 by EddieByword.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 11, 2017 18:43

keefriff99
stone4ever
keefriff99
Deltics
keefriff99
LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
Like me Keith probably thinks rap is crap. Why would or should Keith pretend to like something if he doesn't. Why would i, why would anyone, that would be so pathetic just to pretend like you're into something because its new and trending. Whats wrong with not liking the latest thing, hell i never liked the latest thing even when i was a teenager.
I find this black jive gangster in your face mother @#$%& attitude a huge letdown to black music in general, and black people come to think of it.
When you think of all the incredible black artists and music through the years its confusing to me that they don't seem to have any good role models today.
When i think of all the greats like Howlin Wolf or Muddy Walters and all we get today is Hip Hop and Rap.
Sorry i know some of you guys love it and good luck to you but it doesn't take genius to make it, not to me anyway.

1) Hip-hop has spoken to tens of millions of people all over the world; it is quite obviously a source of great pride to many people in the African-American community. Its reach and influence on popular and musical culture are nearly immeasurable.

2) White people are certainly entitled to an opinion about the worthlessness of that art form. When a famous white musician however makes those remarks about them most popular black music form in his lifetime ... well, that raises some eyebrows, no? It's ok he doesn't like it ... but why go out of his way to diss it? Just makes him seem like an out of touch dick, in my mind ... altho to you I suppose that may be part of Keith's badge of authenticity. I just remember a time when Keith was more in tune with what was happening on the street.
I don't think you're going to get through to stone4ever, given the vitriol in his tirade.

I like plenty of hip hop music...I just don't thinking mixing modern hip hop with a 73-year old white British man is a recipe for success.

And as far as rap being a bad influence...many of the old bluesmen were hardly paragons of virtue. I'm sure some of the exploits they engaged in put most modern rappers to shame.

"new and trending"?
Rap and hip-hop have been around for forty years!
Like all musical genres there's great and there's crap and let's face it, there's been plenty of crap rock.
Let's hear it before we pass judgement.
stone4ever also refered to rap as "jive"...I don't think this Archie Bunker-wannabe has updated his slang lexicon since 1975.

I'm just thankful he didn't refer to rap as "the coloreds' music".

Hey smart ass i was referring to jive as attitude, to taunt or sneer at. I didn't say rap was jive.

Archie Bunker wannabe ?? What you saying i'm a racist because i don't like rap.??

Haha, no i'm not quite that bad and i do love a lot of music from as far back as the 30's to the present day. You wouldn't believe the amount of music i love, it covers so many decades and so many artists, its my life actually. Sorry about my rant, its just that i am completely uninterested in Rap or Hip Hop because my ears are deaf to it.
I'm not at liberty to judge something if i have no connection to it so for that reason i'm out of this conversation.
I've listened to it over the years, i've even tried to like it but it's just not music to my ears.
If that makes me out of order to dislike something then what can i say.
No, no, I was just being a smartass, as you say. No worries.

Thanks man, i was being a bit of a drama Queen yesterday eye rolling smiley

Today i wouldn't give a damn if Mick does a duet with Miley Cyrus and Engelbert Humperdinck, good luck to him.

Date: July 11, 2017 21:15

EddieByword
When 'you' publish in an open forum on the internet, you're 'talking' to eveyone that can use a computer.....like it or not......btw, I didn't bother with your link........ ......as they say in England......Bye bye...
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-11 14:10 by EddieByword.
Six edits over 2 hours 21 minutes, just to say "Bye bye"? You Brits sure have a roundabout way of getting to the point. Don't sacrifice yourself on my account. And...

"Don’t take life too seriously and always remember: it is just a passing fad."
--- Mick Jagger

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 12, 2017 16:20

So.. will there be a new solo album from Mick, or is the new single just the One/OFF.
jeroen

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 12, 2017 16:42

It's kind of funny but it seems no one on this board knows anything about this. Album or just a single? Didn't another current hit maker post some tweet or maybe it was mick within the past year?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 12, 2017 17:03

Bashlets
It's kind of funny but it seems no one on this board knows anything about this. Album or just a single? Didn't another current hit maker post some tweet or maybe it was mick within the past year?

As usual, unless some user has inside infos that he or she can share with us, we can only speculate what's happening by what we found over the internet. I wouldn't bet on an album, but who knows?

By the way, there's a cover art for the upcoming Mick's single, although it might not be the definitive artwork (with many thanks to UrbanSteel for locating the link):

[thatsentertainment.nl]

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 12, 2017 17:17

It reminds of the cover art for Crosseyed Heart : all smiles and very natural posing... The police (typography) is just awful though.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 12, 2017 17:19

I am a bit surprised that this threat hasn't got sticky.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 12, 2017 17:59

Cristiano Radtke
Bashlets

As usual, unless some user has inside infos that he or she can share with us, we can only speculate what's happening by what we found over the internet. I wouldn't bet on an album, but who knows?

By the way, there's a cover art for the upcoming Mick's single, although it might not be the definitive artwork (with many thanks to UrbanSteel for locating the link):

[thatsentertainment.nl]

If this is the real "artwork" and not some e-store mockup "art" to fill in the product page we can say that a new lowest point in music "artwork" has been reached

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 12, 2017 18:05

Dont know if it has been posted before. This article in spanish makes it seem as they have heard the songs (I dont buy it though)

Anyway here it is

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-12 18:06 by maumau.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: July 12, 2017 18:07

It's not the definitive artwork !

Artiest:
Mick Jagger
Titel:
Gotta Get A Grip / England Lost
Release:
28 Juli 2017
Maatschappij:
Universal (uk)
EAN:
Tracks:
01 Gotta Get A Grip
02 England Lost

Verpakking:
niet het definitieve artwork

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 12, 2017 18:21

maumau
Dont know if it has been posted before. This article in spanish makes it seem as they have heard the songs (I dont buy it though)

Anyway here it is

Pero como dice el propio Jagger siempre tiene miedo a cualquier aventura en solitario, porque los “seguidores de los Stones son más conservadores que Franco”. Y es verdad.

grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-12 18:21 by Doxa.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 12, 2017 18:29

Doxa
maumau

Anyway here it is

Pero como dice el propio Jagger siempre tiene miedo a cualquier aventura en solitario, porque los “seguidores de los Stones son más conservadores que Franco”. Y es verdad.

grinning smiley

- Doxa

Wise words on this article. grinning smiley

Date: July 12, 2017 18:44

peoplewitheyes
I am a bit surprised that this threat hasn't got sticky.

Yeah it seems Mick is threatening us with more solo material!!! eye popping smiley lol

Date: July 12, 2017 18:46

maumau
Cristiano Radtke
Bashlets

[thatsentertainment.nl]

If this is the real "artwork" and not some e-store mockup "art" to fill in the product page we can say that a new lowest point in music "artwork" has been reached

What's so bad about it?

Date: July 12, 2017 18:50

The cover art work, if that is the real deal, isn't that bad as it's nicely photographed...maybe a bit boring though.
Reminds me of a business card from a local real estate agent or insurance salesman.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 12, 2017 18:55

DandelionPowderman
maumau
Cristiano Radtke
Bashlets

[thatsentertainment.nl]

What's so bad about it?

Nothin'! Love that pic (seen it b4) my color

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 12, 2017 19:00

Photo's from a November 2016 shoot in NYC. Here's another:

Victoria Will/Invision/AP

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 12, 2017 23:13

So apparently the two tracks were written and produced with Dave Stewart and will be added to a new solo album that is not yet complete.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1604
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home