Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 61
Re: Mick Jagger "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost"
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 13, 2017 20:17

That's pretty sound advice Socrates, and coming from a man in 1692 makes it all the more sound.
My advise to people would be just be what you are. Be your true inner you, not all the things that have developed your ego. You are not your ego. We are just boundless timeless energy really, beautiful infinite beings of unconditional love and light. But you have to see it, that's the tricky part because we look outwards towards external pleasures when all the time the awareness to enlightenment was within us, its like finally coming home. But its even harder to hang onto, Gotta get A Grip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-13 20:49 by stone4ever.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 13, 2017 21:03

stone4ever
Socrates1
Me or Riffhards? Everybody just keep doing your thing.

[www.youtube.com]

Me Socrates i'm afraid.
I have made three grand exits in three weeks. i'm trying to beat Doxa's record.
I have to keep coming back to defend myself. If people stop accusing me of things haven't said then i will go away quietly.
Now lets see what happens. if they want me gone from this thread they need only to stop saying i have said things that other posters have said. I mentioned bloody maracas and all hell broke loose. Its a long story.

Still trying to find a post here where people were accusing you of things you haven't said, but as feeling persecuted for no reason is usually more a state of mind than actually factual perhaps it's a waste of time.

A long story it is, indeed, involving claims to write better lyrics/poems than Mick or calling the single "shit in the can" - man, I doubt you would say all this & more straight into Mick's face if you ever meet him eye to eye.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: August 13, 2017 21:07

Now that's a great post from you. I added a "maybe" to the "getting outside of ourselves"-thing. I ask people not to take all of my words to heart. Sometimes I just like to throw ideas out there, into the light of the computer. I have a weird fan club. I do feel like Achilles. These message boards can be ego traps for wayward drunks. And they can be fun. I like the Stones news. Btw, there's too much digital ooze sound on the solo Jagger release. Please stop. Thank you. I must be on an ego trip of sorts. I need more real guitars in the mix.

Date: August 13, 2017 21:08

retired_dog
stone4ever
Socrates1

[www.youtube.com]

Me Socrates i'm afraid.
I have to keep coming back to defend myself. If people stop accusing me of things haven't said then i will go away quietly.
Now lets see what happens. if they want me gone from this thread they need only to stop saying i have said things that other posters have said. I mentioned bloody maracas and all hell broke loose. Its a long story.

Still trying to find a post here where people were accusing you of things you haven't said, but as feeling persecuted for no reason is usually more a state of mind than actually factual perhaps it's a waste of time.

A long story it is, indeed, involving claims to write better lyrics/poems than Mick or calling the single "shit in the can" - man, I doubt you would say all this & more straight into Mick's face if you ever meet him eye to eye.

Everybody just be nice to each other.

Date: August 13, 2017 21:12

Socrates1
retired_dog
stone4ever
Socrates1

[www.youtube.com]

Me Socrates i'm afraid.

Everybody just be nice to each other.

Like you, I love that peaceful, easy feeling, but sometimes I am just in the mood. I'm only human, after all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-13 21:15 by retired_dog.

Date: August 13, 2017 21:24

I always thought The Eagles were a good band. They've got that mellow sound. Even their hard rocking stuff feels subdued in a way. I think it's the way they did songs note-for-note. The "Hotel California" solo was supposed to sound just the way it did, every time they played it. I don't want to get off-topic...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-13 21:24 by Socrates1.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 13, 2017 21:25

Wondering how Mick might have handled Doom and Gloom had he kept it as a solo tune...never liked the Stones version as it sounded too much like a ZZ Top song from the '80's production wise (Legs, Gimme All Your Loving, et al). It might have been closer to Getta Grip which might have been a good thing? For similar reasons, I would like to hear Keith's solo version of One More Shot. Seems when some of these tunes are "reworked" under the Stones brand, they sound forced and unnatural. Probably because they weren't written as a team like the old days...two heads are better than one if you will...cooperating in the literal sense. If they were locked in a room for a week, could they come up with something that matches some of the classics? I sincerely believe they could, but unfortunately that's not the way they work any more. I wouldn't say the "hate" each other, but probably closer to being sick of each other which happens with a lot of brothers and/or songwriting partners (Ray and Dave Davies, Lennon and Macca, etc,)

Date: August 13, 2017 21:28

retired_dog
stone4ever
Socrates1

[www.youtube.com]

Me Socrates i'm afraid.

Please retireddog can we just let it drop now. I promise you i will cut Mick some slack ok. Just leave it now.

Ps. you have taken my post out of context, i showed an example of a section of Micks lyrics that were to my mind a bit childish.

''I went to find England, it wasn't there
I think I lost it in the back of my chair
I think I'm losing my imagination
I'm tired of talking about immigration
You can't get in and you can't get out
I guess that's what we're all about''

I said i could do better than that myself. Of course i cant do what Mick has done throughout his career. Stuff like SFTD and Time Waits For No One. As an aside i said i write lyrics and poems. They are personal to me i would never ever show them to anyone. Why are you bringing up old posts to discredit me all the time. You are doing to me what you accuse people doing to Mick.
Can't we just stay out of each others way at least.
Why do you continue to put posters against me, just what is your problem. I was enjoying myself here today and then you start again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-13 21:45 by stone4ever.

Date: August 13, 2017 21:41

stone4ever
retired_dog
stone4ever
Socrates1

[www.youtube.com]

Me Socrates i'm afraid.

Please retireddog can we just let it drop now. I promise you i will cut Mick some slack ok. Just leave it now.

Signed, sealed & delivered. All is well.

Date: August 13, 2017 21:42

Hairball
Wondering how Mick might have handled Doom and Gloom had he kept it as a solo tune...never liked the Stones version as it sounded too much like a ZZ Top song from the '80's production wise (Legs, Gimme All Your Loving, et al). It might have been closer to Getta Grip which might have been a good thing? For similar reasons, I would like to hear Keith's solo version of One More Shot. Seems when some of these tunes are "reworked" under the Stones brand, they sound forced and unnatural. Probably because they weren't written as a team like the old days...two heads are better than one if you will...cooperating in the literal sense. If they were locked in a room for a week, could they come up with something that matches some of the classics? I sincerely believe they could, but unfortunately that's not the way they work any more. I wouldn't say the "hate" each other, but probably closer to being sick of each other which happens with a lot of brothers and/or songwriting partners (Ray and Dave Davies, Lennon and Macca, etc,)

Interesting thoughts that I can totally relate to.

Date: August 13, 2017 21:42

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-13 21:44 by Socrates1.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 13, 2017 21:44

Hairball

They tried that in early 1993 in Barbados (even documented in Voodoo Stew), didn't work. Why would it work nearly 25 years later ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 13, 2017 21:54

gotdablouse
Hairball

They tried that in early 1993 in Barbados (even documented in Voodoo Stew), didn't work. Why would it work nearly 25 years later ?

Hmmm...good question.

But nearly 25 years has passed since then...maybe they would approach things differently now and/or have a different perspective on what makes a good Stones song this late in the game.
Back in '93, they were still stubborn and probably unwilling to give and take advice from one another. If given the proper situation and circumstances, I think they could make it happen for one last hurrah.
As the old saying goes, time heals all wounds and maybe they could put their differences and egos aside for the sake of the big picture - that being the Rolling Stones at 55 years old and counting...

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 13, 2017 22:02

Hairball
gotdablouse
Hairball

Hmmm...good question.

But nearly 25 years has passed since then...maybe they would approach things differently now and/or have a different perspective on what makes a good Stones song this late in the game.
Back in '93, they were still stubborn and probably unwilling to give and take advice from one another. If given the proper situation and circumstances, I think they could make it happen for one last hurrah.
As the old saying goes, time heals all wounds and maybe they could put their differences and egos aside for the sake of the big picture - that being the Rolling Stones at 55 years old and counting...

We've all got our respective blinders on, all the time, and two of my most stubborn prejudices are:

1) the "locked room" thesis is hogwash

2) the "pixie dust" theory is equally nonsensical

Believing in either of those after the last 35 years of this band is roughly equivalent to belief in the Tooth Fairy ... but, as I say, we all have our peccadilloes, and perhaps I sell the Glimmers short ...

Date: August 13, 2017 22:04

Hairball
gotdablouse
Hairball

Hmmm...good question.

Voodoo Lounge was great, if they collaborated and looked down the same telescope together as Keith put it at the time with Voodoo Lounge, i for one would be happy with a similar or slightly better result.

Date: August 13, 2017 22:08

A brief update to my feelings about the two new songs:

While they continue to underwhelm me, musically speaking, there are 2 reasons I'm able to go back and re-listen ever day or two:

--Mick is in, by latter-day standards, excellent voice. He's reined in his thin, reedy affectedness for the most part, and really dug deep for what I regard as some nearly vintage rock'n'soul vocals.

--These songs are really quite funny, and I've always dug that about the Stones. "Doom and Gloom" started out kind of funny ("I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane," etc.) but then devolved into preachiness. These two, on the other hand, are a real kick in terms of silly lyrics and well-timed (and in some cases perfectly deadpan) delivery.

Maybe I'll learn to love the music in them a bit more, but for now, these two things are what's kept me coming back so far.

Date: August 13, 2017 22:31

LongBeachArena72
Hairball
gotdablouse
Hairball

Hmmm...good question.

We've all got our respective blinders on, all the time, and two of my most stubborn prejudices are:

Believing in either of those after the last 35 years of this band is roughly equivalent to belief in the Tooth Fairy ... but, as I say, we all have our peccadilloes, and perhaps I sell the Glimmers short ...

Are you saying the tooth fairy doesn't exist? sad smiley

Yes the last 35 years have been dismal, but a little bit of optimism can't hurt amongst all of the negativity. Miracles can happen imo...never say never...etc., etc., etc... smiling smiley

And then I woke up, and reality set in...confused smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 13, 2017 22:39

Hairball
LongBeachArena72

Believing in either of those after the last 35 years of this band is roughly equivalent to belief in the Tooth Fairy ...

Are you saying the tooth fairy doesn't exist?
Whether or not the tooth fairy exists, there is still a payoff. smiling smiley

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 13, 2017 22:48

stone4ever
Hairball
gotdablouse
Hairball

Hmmm...good question.

Voodoo Lounge was great, if they collaborated and looked down the same telescope together as Keith put it at the time with Voodoo Lounge, i for one would be happy with a similar or slightly better result.

I think I'm in the minority but I like this song and I wish they did this more often:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 13, 2017 23:13

Mick is the engine of the band.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: August 13, 2017 23:16

powerage78

Would that mean Keith is the fuel?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 13, 2017 23:34

powerage78
I thought it was Charlie.

Mick is the look of the band, it's presentation. He's the famous one, after all.

Date: August 13, 2017 23:42

stonehearted
powerage78

Mick is the look of the band, it's presentation. He's the famous one, after all.

As a business proposition, which is really what the band is these days, Mick wears dual CEO/CFO hats.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 13, 2017 23:46

Keith was

Hairball
powerage78

Would that mean Keith is the fuel?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-14 00:13 by powerage78.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 13, 2017 23:47

LongBeachArena72
stonehearted
powerage78

As a business proposition, which is really what the band is these days, Mick wears dual CEO/CFO hats.

As the crew calls him, Mick is "The Commander".

Date: August 14, 2017 00:28

powerage78

confused smiley
Recently or always was ?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 14, 2017 00:41

Why do you keep putting this Gotta Get A Grip poster on the pages over and over again. We have all seen it.
Someone obviously keeps throwing you a bone, that would explain a lot.

aaaawwwww stone4ever..... it's no secret that ive been working for
Theeee Stones for years now, but the yobs have just ever got around ta payin' me ...hhhhhhaaaaaaa...........(NOW Lets watch Tinkerbell fly away with that one)

Rest now and spin B&L ... its a true friend when the mind is on fire .....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 14, 2017 00:54

Rockman
Why do you keep putting this Gotta Get A Grip poster on the pages over and over again. We have all seen it.
Someone obviously keeps throwing you a bone, that would explain a lot.

aaaawwwww stone4ever..... it's no secret that ive been working for
Theeee Stones for years now, but the yobs have just ever got around ta payin' me ...hhhhhhaaaaaaa...........(NOW Lets watch Tinkerbell fly away with that one)

Rest now and spin B&L ... its a true friend when the mind is on fire .....

So that doesn't explain it. Do what you gotta do, if it makes you happy smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 14, 2017 01:01

Okay .... take it easy .... RELAX ....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 14, 2017 01:04

Rockman
Okay .... take it easy .... RELAX ....

Lol never been more relaxed. Tinkerbell ?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home