Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4849505152535455565758...LastNext
Current Page: 53 of 61
Re: Mick Jagger "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost"
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 14, 2017 01:11

Ahhh that's just a laugh about a modern day
fairy-tale that's recently been shown over at Shidoobee ... No big deal...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 14, 2017 01:42

"The Commander"
that's hot.

edit edit edit I need to get a grip

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-14 01:58 by 35love.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 14, 2017 02:30

35love, that won't do. Can you modify your statement to read something like "The Commander that used to be hot" or "The Commander who looks hot because he's in a band with Keith Richards." I believe variations of either are acceptable in this thread.

And forgive me for being polite to you. I know it's not the way Stones message boards are supposed to operate in 2017. I'll attempt to "Get a Grip."

Cue Terry's post of Tom Cruise's failed stunt leap.

Date: August 14, 2017 02:53

Rocky Dijon for you, I shall further embarrass myself:
To have the nickname 'The Commander'
is hot / sexy/ foxy smart/ intelligent/ appealing as well as the rockstar bit.
The Glimmers both have perceptiveness and astuteness and get the job done/ highly successful, 'Commander' title never comes lightly/ respect, no?
It's a pretty good handle.

Date: August 14, 2017 04:35

35love, your effusive remarks leave a bitter taste of positivism in our otherwise cynical, self-loathing, contemptuous thread. Kindly restrain yourself woman, lest you infect others with your example.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 14, 2017 04:46

Hairball
powerage78
Mick is the engine of the band.

Would that mean Keith is the fuel?

tailpipe? exhaust?

OK, I'm gonna pay for that.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 14, 2017 05:02

treaclefingers
Hairball
powerage78

Would that mean Keith is the fuel?

tailpipe? exhaust?

OK, I'm gonna pay for that.

I like both...in fact I can hear the wheezing of the tailpipe coughing up exhaust when the engine's trying to get started...and then everything stalls out (aka"hits the wall").
This machine might need a tuneup and/or a complete overhaul, but at this point is it worth the time and effort? Is it obsolete and ready for the junkyard?
Maybe a little WD-40 and some duct tape?

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: August 14, 2017 05:35

so... this release is a variation on MJ's collaboration theme... Goddess (1 guest star per song-ish), then Superheavy (guests and styles crammed together on every song), and now Gotta/England with all these mixer dudes and their distinct versions.

wondering if anyone else has done this, ie 5-6 mixes/versions of 1 song... prolly yes but it's new to me.

interesting stuff.

Date: August 14, 2017 05:59

Ray Davies comments via Daily Mail UK:

On July 27 Sir Mick Jagger released an urgent EP, Gotta Get A Grip/England Lost, targeting Brexit, immigration and terrorism.
That afternoon, sitting in his front parlour, Sir Ray Davies CBE, considers his chateau-dwelling contemporary’s edgy effort.

‘How inspired,’ The Kinks kingpin hisses, his voice dripping with sibilant sarcasm.
‘I haven’t listened to it yet, but we’ve had the decorators in and I’ve been busy watching paint dry in the bathroom.’

Would like to hear what Ray thinks of the new tunes if he ever actually listens to them!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-14 06:06 by Hairball.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 14, 2017 06:20

Hairball

On July 27 Sir Mick Jagger released an urgent EP, Gotta Get A Grip/England Lost, targeting Brexit, immigration and terrorism.
That afternoon, sitting in his front parlour, Sir Ray Davies CBE, considers his chateau-dwelling contemporary’s edgy effort.

‘How inspired,’ The Kinks kingpin hisses, his voice dripping with sibilant sarcasm.
‘I haven’t listened to it yet, but we’ve had the decorators in and I’ve been busy watching paint dry in the bathroom.’

Would like to hear what Ray thinks of the new tunes if he ever actually listens to them!

Not much doubt what Sir Ray would say, is there?

And, imho, "Kinks Kingpin" is about as catchy a moniker as there is in rock'n'roll.

Date: August 14, 2017 06:30

Hairball

*But to automatically assume (probably from a few stupid head line grab reviews)
that Mick is preaching/ passing judgements or (*gasp) giving us his well thought out intimate political or personal feelings is to miss the mark-
I believe the lyrics are picking up what is happening currently, and being said all around at this very peculiar time in history...
Taken that stance, removing anything personally about who is singing...then you can let go and have fun w/ it. IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-14 06:31 by 35love.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 14, 2017 06:32

.... I do 35 ... thay make me laugh ...

ROCKMAN

Date: August 14, 2017 06:36

LongBeachArena72
Hairball

Not much doubt what Sir Ray would say, is there?

And, imho, "Kinks Kingpin" is about as catchy a moniker as there is in rock'n'roll.

thumbs up

Date: August 14, 2017 07:02

35love
*But to automatically assume (probably from a few stupid head line grab reviews)
that Mick is preaching/ passing judgements or (*gasp) giving us his well thought out intimate political or personal feelings is to miss the mark-
I believe the lyrics are picking up what is happening currently, and being said all around at this very peculiar time in history...
Taken that stance, removing anything personally about who is singing...then you can let go and have fun w/ it. IMO.

I agree. I don't hear anything in it that says something different from "All I hear is doom and gloom." You could be standing on either side of the Brexit fence or on the immigration issue and voice the same statements as found in either song. I think it's a matter of projection. People who want to be irritated with Mick will be. It's a bit like "Louie, Louie." If people want to hear something, they will whether it's spoken or not.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 14, 2017 12:34

More than ever.
And since 10 years at least.

stone4ever
powerage78

confused smiley
Recently or always was ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 14, 2017 15:47

powerage78
More than ever.

stone4ever
powerage78

confused smiley
Recently or always was ?

Can't argue with that. Keith has lost his way live since 06' i'm very sorry to say. That was a big bang to the head. We are lucky he is still Keith at all. Most people get a change in personalty after Brain herniation, which led to his cranial surgery. Keith's accident was that severe, not a lot of people know that, but luckily Keith is still Keith. Some of his ongoing problems could be down to the side effects of his anti seizure drugs. He still has moments of being the commander like at the Fonda gig and the last couple of dates on the last tour, the guy is a real trouper imho.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 14, 2017 16:02

stone4ever
powerage78
More than ever.

stone4ever
powerage78

confused smiley
Recently or always was ?

Can't argue with that. Keith has lost his way live since 06' i'm very sorry to say. That was a big bang to the head. We are lucky he is still Keith at all. Most people get a change in personalty after Brain herniation, which led to his cranial surgery. Keith's accident was that severe, not a lot of people know that, but luckily Keith is still Keith. Some of his ongoing problems could be down to the side effects of his anti seizure drugs. He still has moments of being the commander like at the Fonda gig and the last couple of dates on the last tour, the guy is a real trouper imho.

May be true but Keith still has his good taste intact. At least his state of mind is producing music that I prefer to listen to. To rattle off Blues In The Morning in one take after 2006 says a lot for me.....

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: August 14, 2017 16:12

I wish people would not leave the board over a single just before a tour - I want to hear the comments of experienced old hands when the band is actually on stage . So could people be nice to eachkther until then.

Date: August 14, 2017 16:17

Maindefender
stone4ever
powerage78
More than ever.

stone4ever
powerage78

confused smiley
Recently or always was ?

May be true but Keith still has his good taste intact. At least his state of mind is producing music that I prefer to listen to. To rattle off Blues In The Morning in one take after 2006 says a lot for me.....

Absolutely i couldn't agree more, CH was a big surprise to me.
I meant more his live playing, its still great for the casual fan but we who know him most can see the subtle differences in his playing. That Keith thread the other day, where a poster asked for clips if Keith ripping it up. Well that brought it back to me just how much Keith has deteriorated with his timing and technique. But he still put's shivers down my spine on songs like Gimme Shelter and JJF, even today his stage presence is unbelievable on a good night.smiling smiley

Date: August 14, 2017 16:21

It's so bizarre. "Mick v. Keith" is like a tractor beam that keeps pulling people in from all sides to skirmish anew over things that have been discussed ad nauseum for years. Perhaps the hapless "Gotta Get a Grip/England Lost" thread ought to be closed for good and we can just get on with the squabbling on a new "my Glimmer is better than your Glimmer" discussion.

I've found recently that it's nice to remember that there are other bands to follow whose fans don't pit one member against another ...

Date: August 14, 2017 16:31

LongBeachArena72
It's so bizarre. "Mick v. Keith" is like a tractor beam that keeps pulling people in from all sides to skirmish anew over things that have been discussed ad nauseum for years. Perhaps the hapless "Gotta Get a Grip/England Lost" thread ought to be closed for good and we can just get on with the squabbling on a new "my Glimmer is better than your Glimmer" discussion.

I've found recently that it's nice to remember that there are other bands to follow whose fans don't pit one member against another ...

Just talking about why Keith hasn't been the commander for the last ten years.
Just adding to that, not intending to squabble or argue. In fact you will not see me argue anymore, even if someone wants to argue. I haven't been provocative today have i LB

Date: August 14, 2017 16:35

stone4ever
LongBeachArena72

Just talking about why Keith hasn't been the commander for the last ten years.
Just adding to that, not intending to squabble or argue. In fact you will not see me argue anymore, even if someone wants to argue. I haven't been provocative today have i LB

Wasn't thinking of you particularly riffie——pretty sure nearly all of us have been guilty of this at times!

Date: August 14, 2017 16:36

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-14 18:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 14, 2017 16:54

I love Mick and Keith.
Legends.
Impossible for me however to deny the decline of Keith which makes me really sad.
Nothing more.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: August 14, 2017 16:55

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-14 18:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 14, 2017 19:27

DandelionPowderman

Could not agree more. Kudos, DP!

Wait. No. On 2nd thought, that's easily the stupidest thing I've ever read on this website.

Date: August 14, 2017 19:44

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

Wait. No. On 2nd thought, that's easily the stupidest thing I've ever read on this website.

You're a nice bunch of guys..

Date: August 14, 2017 19:59

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

No no LB i wont have that, you have said far more stupid things winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-14 20:00 by stone4ever.

Date: August 14, 2017 20:05

stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

I must admit, I have.

Date: August 14, 2017 20:11

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

I must admit, I have.

Just pulling your leg LB.
Its better to have an opinion and get it wrong occasionally, than to not have an opinion at all. I think. Or is it. No wait a minute that's not right.confused smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4849505152535455565758...LastNext
Current Page: 53 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home