Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061Next
Current Page: 58 of 61
Re: Mick Jagger "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost"
Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: December 22, 2017 22:44

Witness
GetYerAngie
Rocky Dijon
While I agree with egos and estrangement, I suspect Mick throwing it back at Keith saying "I did what you told me to do" was a way of defusing the situation. I'm sure Mick and Universal had discussions. Charlie and Ronnie must have known they were now playing on a Mick solo single and Don Was had to have been informed since he's not the producer. These went from potential Stones tracks to a solo single by April and I tend to believe the purpose was still to test the waters by Universal. We've heard there are similar sounding tracks in the offing. Had this been a big hit, it might have changed the direction of the album. They have a lot of potential material. Dozens of new songs from Mick, some Keith songs, and leftovers Don Was would like to release. Add to that the potential for different arrangements and versions of many of these songs and you can understand why settling on which 15 songs is a trick.

I really like Gotta Get a Grip (and all the different mixes) - it is a shame that it didn't become a hit. I still hope that they will include some of the stuff from this direction on the forthcoming album.

I am one who share your hope, GetYerAngie, that some material from broadly this direction will be included on that album.

thumbs up

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 22, 2017 23:18

I sorta liked England lost, an enigmatic and slightly weird song, a bit like Mick (check tights (pantyhose) at Knebworth) - wonder what he wears in private - but Get a grip - Well Mick should, this was almost as bad as Infamy...........>grinning smiley<

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 23, 2017 01:19

I like a few things about EL :
- when he mutters "didn't want to come anyway" as it's pretty funny and the delivery brings back good memories of the spoken parts of Too Much Blood
- the shortening : "I went to see England but England lost" -> "I went to see England but England" -> "I went to see England but" etc...
- the video, while totally unrelated to the theme of the song AFAICT it keeps you interested I suppose

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-23 04:22 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 23, 2017 02:40

gotdablouse
I like a few things about EL :
- when he mutters "didn't want to come anyway" as it's pretty funny and the delivery brings back good memories of the spoken parts of Too Much Blood
- the shortening : "I went to see England but England lost" -> "I went to see England but England" -> "I went to see England but" etc...
- the video, while totally unrelated to the theme of the song AFAICT is keeps you interested I suppose

And touches of Bill Wyman's 'Je suis un rock star'...........(accent & delivery.....

Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: December 23, 2017 11:13

England really lost.now heading for 5 0

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: December 23, 2017 11:26

Love both the tracks, mick trying different music vibes, Gotta get a grip the lyrics are so real in todays world we live in just like Doom & Gloom.E.lost is just fun song.

Gotta get a grip - kevin Parker remix
Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: August 16, 2020 01:28

This is brilliant [m.youtube.com]

Re: Gotta get a grip - kevin Parker remix
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 16, 2020 02:03

Love it .

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 16, 2020 02:32

Thats not bad. I assume the original is nothing like it? (Don't have the interest to seek it out just yet)

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 16, 2020 02:34

Cant believe that some glue company
hasnt used Spiderman and this song in a TV commercial yet....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 16, 2020 06:54

So, a simpleton question I guess. FOR Kevin Parker to do a remix on this, I take it Mick would have had to send the raw files to Parker electronically, Parker then loads them up in a computer and remixes. Would he ADD little Parker touches of his own you reckon, that Mick would not possibly hear?

But this whole process just irritates me. It’s not how The Stones create their music. And, yes, I know that’s how they DO nowadays, especially in lockdown, but to me, it’s not how The Stones should create music. On a computer. Or am I wrong?

Rod

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 16, 2020 08:37

Captainchaos
This is brilliant [m.youtube.com]

thumbs up

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: August 16, 2020 12:31

deleted, sorry I wrote nonsense

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-16 12:32 by wiredallnight.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 16, 2020 12:40

bitusa2012

But this whole process just irritates me. It’s not how The Stones create their music. And, yes, I know that’s how they DO nowadays, especially in lockdown, but to me, it’s not how The Stones should create music. On a computer. Or am I wrong?

Basically you've answered the question by yourself: "It’s not how The Stones should create music: on a computer." - "And, yes, I know that’s how they DO nowadays."

But that are the modern times, analogue productions are gone, now it's all digital (even the sources for Vinyl) and we have to live with it ....

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 16, 2020 15:32

Irix
bitusa2012

Basically you've answered the question by yourself: "It’s not how The Stones should create music: on a computer." - "And, yes, I know that’s how they DO nowadays."

But that are the modern times, analogue productions are gone, now it's all digital (even the sources for Vinyl) and we have to live with it ....

Yes I know. It was just a rant.

Rod

Date: August 16, 2020 15:41

If your not sure what Kevin Parker’s all about you should check out his band ‘Tame Impala’ he plays, records, and produces it all himself.

‘lonerism’ Is a classic record to check out for ref, altho he’s gone more keyboard oriented recently.

I’d also check out mick jaggers original of ‘gotta get a grip’ to see the difference. Basicly jaggers is horrid, slick 80s soundin lifeless production in comparison. Just the Difference in the beat alone is a great example.

Kevin Parker’s version sounds like a great collaboration, and I wish it’s this approach Jagger used rather than the slick shit £€$€$€€ approach the original Version uses.

A Parker/Jagger collaboration in the future would be most welcome if it’s anything like the remix!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-16 15:51 by Captainchaos.

Date: August 16, 2020 15:51

Analogue isn’t dead.
You’d be surprised how much interest in old equip/valves etc there is.
Sure it quite often goes into pro tools or whatever.

But that’s just the storing of the info.
You can record all live, all mic’d up in a room with valve equip, get nice bleed of sounds into each other’s mics, jam it, not play to a click track etc, go thru a desk. And store it on pro tools speaking very bluntly.

The stones stuff these days doesn’t sound like they play to the drummer and push/pull with that. It sounds layered, recorded separately, and played to a click track. The creases are ironed out. I like music to sound like there’s still creases in it.

But that’s a digression.

Basicly this remix rocks!!! And in a way the original doesn’t.
Why, is open to debate. I’m just gone play this remix a lot because it sounds exciting & fun & gives off possibilities

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 16, 2020 16:16

It can't be saved. Awful!

It's like Pai Mei says, when Uma tries to speak Mandarin in Kill Bill ... it causes my ears discomfort.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-16 16:34 by LeonidP.

Date: August 16, 2020 17:10

Captainchaos

Analogue isn’t dead. [...] Sure it quite often goes into pro tools or whatever.

That's exactly what I meant.

Would be nice to have a complete analogue production from the (vintage) Instruments until Mixing/Mastering. And then dedicated Masters for Vinyl as well as DSD (digital).

But as above described by you the workflow of the production is now different. The times of: "the band working all night, every night, from eight in the evening until three the following morning for the rest of the month" (Nellcôte) are over. Instead now digital layers in Pro Tools ....

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: August 16, 2020 18:30

It's a real shame this mix is not available on vinyl or CD

Date: August 16, 2020 18:35

Whale

It's a real shame this mix is not available on vinyl or CD

But you can download it - [www.Qobuz.com] .

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: August 16, 2020 19:48

I'm generally unmoved by Mick's solo work, but this remix gives me chills. The overtly political lyrics find a fun groove (love the guitar riff!) and come off better. Still, like all remixes, the individual tracks feel estranged from each other. No integration that's key to the Stones.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 16, 2020 21:17

Musically sounds pretty good, but would probably be much better without the vocals and silly lyrics.
Wonder what Keith would think of this version - probably not much considering what he thought of the original idea based on what he said to Mick- "This ain't Stones material pal, release it on your own"

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 16, 2020 21:25

Hairball
Musically sounds pretty good, but would probably be much better without the vocals and silly lyrics.
Wonder what Keith would think of this version - probably not much considering what he thought of the original idea based on what he said to Mick- "This ain't Stones material pal, release it on your own"

And here we go again with your breathless campaign(ing) against the world's most famous frontman...

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: August 16, 2020 21:26

Hairball

IMO the lyrics are quite good and the vocals very strong. And of course it could have been a good Stones single. It's not Stones-by-numbers-material, but Stones-material that rolls.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 16, 2020 21:40

GetYerAngie
Hairball

IMO the lyrics are quite good and the vocals very strong. And of course it could have been a good Stones single. It's not Stones-by-numbers-material, but Stones-material that rolls.

The fact alone that the positive remarks about a Mick solo tune outnumber the negative responses by far this time robs his sleep so he has to raise his voice for whatever he thinks Keith must be thinking (as if Keith's opinion about a Mick solo tune really matters!), so it's not about the music - no need to worry, GetYerAngie.

Date: August 16, 2020 21:54

On the contrary, I always thought Keith was being a stubborn jerk and should have been willing to work with Mick on those tunes. Considering some of the other junk they've worked on together and that they've agreed upon(Doom and Gloom for example), not sure what Keith was thinking when he vetoed the idea. Thankfully he agreed to work with Mick on Ghost Town which evidently began as an original idea from Mick - the results are fantastic, but not sure how it would have ended up as a solo tune ala Getta Grip. And one can only wonder how much better Getta Grip might have been if Keith had chosen to be involved - maybe as good as Ghost Town?

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 16, 2020 22:31

I always wonder how you know what Mick and Keith "agree" on, and how for instance you know Keith "vetoed the idea". Seems to me they might well operate on a completely different level than you think, and so I wonder, are you in on the decision process? If so, you really should let us in on the secrets, but if not, you kind of sound foolish making these assumptions based on how you imagine they conduct their business and decide what gets released under their collective name.

With all due respect of course. And not wishing to get involved in your numerous skirmishes going on at the same time.

jb

Date: August 16, 2020 22:38

There were some direct quotes from Keith in an interview published around the time regarding his viewpoint on Getta Grip.
Perhaps you missed that interview, but it's somewhere in the new album thread.

To paraphrase Keith: "I said to Mick 'This ain't Stones material pal, release it on your own'" and he followed that up with "and the bugger (Mick) went ahead and released it"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-16 22:40 by Hairball.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 16, 2020 22:40

Can you hear the guitar Wood is playing on this track in this mix

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-16 22:41 by Taylor1.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061Next
Current Page: 58 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home