Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 61
Re: Mick Jagger "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost"
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 17, 2017 19:29

Rocky Dijon
It was a great show. If it's the last time I attend a concert, it was a good way to bow out.

Yes i agree Rocky,02' 03' that was about the last time i can remember them being worth the ticket price. After that i had my misgivings about going all that way at all that expense, if you know what i mean.

Just noticed in your post you still watch silent Movies, me too lol
Just recently got though a whole box set including every episode of Laurel And Hardy.
My god those silent episodes were just as funny as the ones with sound.
Harold Lloyd was genius too.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 17, 2017 22:49

stone4ever
Rocky Dijon
It was a great show. If it's the last time I attend a concert, it was a good way to bow out.

Yes i agree Rocky,02' 03' that was about the last time i can remember them being worth the ticket price. After that i had my misgivings about going all that way at all that expense, if you know what i mean.

Just noticed in your post you still watch silent Movies, me too lol
Just recently got though a whole box set including every episode of Laurel And Hardy.
My god those silent episodes were just as funny as the ones with sound.
Harold Lloyd was genius too.

sometimes silence is golden...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 18, 2017 08:37

Slightly on topic, Russell Mulcahy worked some silent movie footage into "One Hit (to the Body)."

Agreed about Laurel & Hardy and Harold Lloyd. My favorite silents though are Fritz Lang's epics, Murnau's Nosferatu, and (of course) Caligari. I have the reconstruction of London After Midnight, but it's tough to judge by a slide show presentation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-18 08:38 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: August 18, 2017 18:44

Rocky Dijon
Slightly on topic, Russell Mulcahy worked some silent movie footage into "One Hit (to the Body)."

Agreed about Laurel & Hardy and Harold Lloyd. My favorite silents though are Fritz Lang's epics, Murnau's Nosferatu, and (of course) Caligari. I have the reconstruction of London After Midnight, but it's tough to judge by a slide show presentation.

I love that video, i wish the new Jagger video's had Mick in them, he is amazing ( even though i criticize him ) and all i want to see is Mick or Mick with the Stones, not some young girls all sweaty and steamy. Err wait a minute confused smiley

Date: August 18, 2017 21:39

No, I understand and don't think that's Freudian of you to have put it that way. Whether it's the band or the label, there's a reluctance to show them. They would rather give us young or younger actors and models in short films with the songs as soundtracks. I would be happier if they just intercut Mick. It would be tricky to do with "England Lost" unless you did a switching channels trick like in "Undercover of the Night" with the Paris nightclub footage of the band. "Gotta Get a Grip" was perfect for Mick and a band (presumably not Ronnie and Charlie) to be performing in the very same club. The video would have worked more like "Rain Fall Down" then by integrating the artist with the models.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 19, 2017 07:49

Rocky Dijon
No, I understand and don't think that's Freudian of you to have put it that way. Whether it's the band or the label, there's a reluctance to show them. They would rather give us young or younger actors and models in short films with the songs as soundtracks. I would be happier if they just intercut Mick. It would be tricky to do with "England Lost" unless you did a switching channels trick like in "Undercover of the Night" with the Paris nightclub footage of the band. "Gotta Get a Grip" was perfect for Mick and a band (presumably not Ronnie and Charlie) to be performing in the very same club. The video would have worked more like "Rain Fall Down" then by integrating the artist with the models.

it's stupid to not include the artist in these videos because they are 'too old'. it's not as though these videos are going to be watched by millenials thinking that this is fresh 'new talent', or maybe performed by someone young. EVERYONE knows who the singer is...better to embrace it. Love to see a 3/4 century old rocking it out on a new video for a new song.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 19, 2017 19:31

The physical single has sold 532 copies on second week in the U.S.

Billboard Hot Singles Sales
Week 01 - #2 - 1,202
Week 02 - #4 - 532

Physical Sales: 1,734
Digital sales: 2,500 copies (Gotta Get A Grip); 1,500 (England Lost) and 3,000 copies for the EP with the remixes.

The whole combo has sold close to 9,000 copies in the U.S.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 19, 2017 19:38

Here the streaming numbers (worldwide) on Spotify after 23 days:

814,311 - Gotta Get A Grip
152,847 - Gotta Get A Grip (Akon)
48,796 - Gotta Get A Grip (Kevin Parker)
18,075 - Gotta Get A Grip (Seeb)
8,517 - Gotta Get A Grip (Matt Clifford)

143,979 - England Lost
24,344 - England Lost (Skepta)

Total (Combined)
1.042,546 - Gotta Get A Grip
168,323 - England Lost

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 19, 2017 20:04

georgelicks
Here the streaming numbers (worldwide) on Spotify after 23 days:

814,311 - Gotta Get A Grip
152,847 - Gotta Get A Grip (Akon)
48,796 - Gotta Get A Grip (Kevin Parker)
18,075 - Gotta Get A Grip (Seeb)
8,517 - Gotta Get A Grip (Matt Clifford)

143,979 - England Lost
24,344 - England Lost (Skepta)

Total (Combined)
1.042,546 - Gotta Get A Grip
168,323 - England Lost

Yeah, I've been watching those numbers daily myself, just curious to see if anything will "catch." Mick's only hope is probably to get included on a key Spotify 'playlist' so that his songs are exposed to people browsing for different types of music. I would imagine that by far the majority of even casual Stones fans are completely unaware he released anything.

Date: August 19, 2017 20:08

treaclefingers
Rocky Dijon

it's stupid to not include the artist in these videos because they are 'too old'. it's not as though these videos are going to be watched by millenials thinking that this is fresh 'new talent', or maybe performed by someone young. EVERYONE knows who the singer is...better to embrace it. Love to see a 3/4 century old rocking it out on a new video for a new song.

Absolutely, audiences don't pay shed loads of money to see the Stones and expect them to be young. They know and like that Mick and the Stones are not young, so why not show them warts and all in their video's. Part of their charm is that they are old but keep on performing. I honestly don't think at this stage the record company can put that sort of pressure on the Stones or Mick for that matter, and insist they don't appear in their own video's. Obviously i could be wrong on that last point.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 26, 2017 14:56

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 26, 2017 16:52

Cristiano Radtke

[www.instagram.com]

I'd like that framed and hung on my wall, please.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 26, 2017 23:11

Having finally heard both of them, they're not bad, they're just not good. Much like how Voodoo and Bigger Bang were weak echoes of the golden age, Mick's solo stuff sound like weak echoes from the Post-Wyman era.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 26, 2017 23:21

WOW!! ..^^^.. COOL poster ... where is London??
.... Should be in every town & city across theeeeee globe ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 27, 2017 00:10

Heartily agree! Most excellent poster; would love to see it everywhere. (not really into the music tho I tried. Not offended as I actually was at first haha...and am glad he's working and all that, but honestly not really finding it part, yet maybe, of a listening experience I return to....)

super great poster on the money too; liked the groove and beat and sound of the whole thing at first; found the shorter mix about 3 minutes and was a groove i'll go back to sometime before long i hope...don't mean to act like i'm a critic; i'm not; just a fan; but i know what sort of grabs me. It just wore me out because nothing resolved, heightened, changed or engaged me very much. Well at first it DID! I was with it and grooving and hopeful; I liked the word spary and lyrical approach; i dug the message and still do for what's it's worth. But it did wear my patience thin and leave me thinking wtf after it came back into the solid groove without really going anywhere; then did not go anywhere from there....a sort of lost opportunity in some ways methinks. not like there was "NOTHING" there for sure...and Mick's still sounds like MIck and that is a wonederful thing, up to a point....
....And Good Glod those super long mixes tho; well I only heard a tiny bit of one and a little big of another and stopped it dead...
....I'm wrong from time to time for sure. The Kinks are like one of the most incredible things in my life, and have been since the earliest very start; but I still didn't 'get' Village Green Preservation Society until several months after I had it; then I got hypnotized by how original and fascinating it was, and still is for me, Primo Brillance...so i don't take even my own opionions that seriously; especially at first; and i don't care to make a 'clever' slam, tho I've been emo about this or that in the past; part of me I guess...but all in all, when i saw that poster and Terry's comment...i went 'Yessss!!'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-27 00:14 by hopkins.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 27, 2017 00:30

Doesn't get more modern day humanity Gospel than the lyrics pictured above. Nevertheless got to keep on keeping on. Or Gotta Get A Grip as Mick says. Thanks to him for saying something in 2017.

Date: August 27, 2017 03:30

......................................................................................................................................... The Bunker ....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 27, 2017 04:51

Is that a rare look inside your personal shrine? If so, it's very impressive and every bit as eclectic and colorful as I imagined.

Date: August 27, 2017 04:57

.... Thanks Rocky .... SHRINE!!!! ... Well she did try and kill me but I'm still kickin' .. hhhaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 5, 2017 01:14

I have to say I'm disappointed with Gotta Get A Grip. England Lost is OK. I like the rawness of it. I've discovered what it is about Jagger's lyrics that drives me nuts these days. It's not so much the simplicity of them compared to things written on SF and EOMS as it is his over-enunciating of his rhyme schemes. No other band does this. And why he started doing it IDK, but it really detracts from my enjoyment of his vocals of late. Other artists rhyme too, of course, but it just goes with the flow, whereas Mick has a tendency to emphasis the 2nd rhymed word. Gotta Get A Grip really brought that to the forefront for me.

Date: September 5, 2017 17:06

The songs themselves continue to languish, only having been streamed about 1.5 million times, collectively, on Spotify.

(Baby boomers just do not stream, lol. Robert Plant's two new singles have barely cracked the 200,000 mark, collectively.)

One thing these releases might have helped confirm: the audience for "classic rock" is still tied to the concept of a publicity-driven "album." Dropping "songs" in a more or less viral manner--which is essentially the new industry model--will simply not move the needle for these acts.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 5, 2017 17:14

LongBeachArena72
The songs themselves continue to languish, only having been streamed about 1.5 million times, collectively, on Spotify.

(Baby boomers just do not stream, lol. Robert Plant's two new singles have barely cracked the 200,000 mark, collectively.)

One thing these releases might have helped confirm: the audience for "classic rock" is still tied to the concept of a publicity-driven "album." Dropping "songs" in a more or less viral manner--which is essentially the new industry model--will simply not move the needle for these acts.

It's a Millennials world right now, that's what it pretty much comes down to. They don't know or acre who the stones or Robert Plant is. BTW I like the two Plant singles.......

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 5, 2017 17:17

VoodooLounge13
I have to say I'm disappointed with Gotta Get A Grip. England Lost is OK. I like the rawness of it. I've discovered what it is about Jagger's lyrics that drives me nuts these days. It's not so much the simplicity of them compared to things written on SF and EOMS as it is his over-enunciating of his rhyme schemes. No other band does this. And why he started doing it IDK, but it really detracts from my enjoyment of his vocals of late. Other artists rhyme too, of course, but it just goes with the flow, whereas Mick has a tendency to emphasis the 2nd rhymed word. Gotta Get A Grip really brought that to the forefront for me.

You, England Lost for me also but not thrilled about it. The Saab version featuring Skepta which I downloaded is combo of Rain Falls down and ASMB I guess....

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 5, 2017 17:18

1.5 million streams doesn't sound too bad ? Or is it ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 5, 2017 17:21

gotdablouse

Yeah, it's pretty bad. There are lots of worse-performing songs, of course, but to really matter in the streaming world you need hundreds of millions streams.

Date: September 5, 2017 17:22

Maindefender
LongBeachArena72

It's a Millennials world right now, that's what it pretty much comes down to. They don't know or acre who the stones or Robert Plant is. BTW I like the two Plant singles.......

I do, too, and am looking fwd to the Plant album. His streaming numbers will no doubt get a bit of a bump once it's out.

Date: September 5, 2017 17:27

LongBeachArena72
gotdablouse

Yeah, it's pretty bad. There are lots of worse-performing songs, of course, but to really matter in the streaming world you need hundreds of millions streams.

One more note: it's not just boomer-music that gets lost on Spotify.

Do any of you remember LCD Soundsystem? Really cool dance/edm-type band whose breakout record was 2007's Sound of Silver. After some farewell shows at MSG, they called it quits in 2011 ... and have now returned with american dream ... which is really good ... and which is falling on deaf ears in the Spotify world. Motto: don't go away for 6 years ... and do not EVER stop producing hits!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 6, 2017 06:22

While I'm glad he recorded these and like the tunes, in the end they are quite forgettable sadly.

I appreciate he's trying to evolve his music and his style...for me he's seems to be trying to capture that elusive "Miss You" elixir.

Lightning won't strike again I don't think, not in that way.

Date: September 6, 2017 07:12

treaclefingers
While I'm glad he recorded these and like the tunes, in the end they are quite forgettable sadly.

I appreciate he's trying to evolve his music and his style...for me he's seems to be trying to capture that elusive "Miss You" elixir.

Lightning won't strike again I don't think, not in that way.

It's fascinating to speculate about what Mick really "wants" or is "trying to do" with these new songs. Did any part of him really expect a hit? Was he realistic enough to know that was unlikely and was just having some fun with material he really enjoyed writing and recording? If there are more single releases from him to come, what will that tell us? Will it seem more likely that he's really trying to carve out yet another career at this quarter-to-midnight stage of his professional life? Or will it mean he's really just said "@#$%& it, I'm 75 and I'm gonna sing and play some shit I like, because I can, and because I don't give a rat's ass whether anybody likes it"?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 6, 2017 11:10

LongBeachArena72
One more note: it's not just boomer-music that gets lost on Spotify.

Do any of you remember LCD Soundsystem? Really cool dance/edm-type band whose breakout record was 2007's Sound of Silver. After some farewell shows at MSG, they called it quits in 2011 ... and have now returned with american dream ... which is really good ... and which is falling on deaf ears in the Spotify world. Motto: don't go away for 6 years ... and do not EVER stop producing hits!

And not age 6 years in those 6 years you are gone! smiling smiley

You know, in 1984, 1985, when I was just 18, 19, there used to be these places, these pseudo-nightclubs where you'd go and only teens would go there. Just young hang-outs. And if you were 20, 21, you were just like that too-old retard that had to spend an extra year in high school just to graduate at 19 -- that is, just not wanted, out of place, yesterday's news.

That's what Spotify seems like to me -- a teen hang-out place that I want no part of, and that wants no part of me.

Because, really, who wants to go back to high school when you're over 50 -- just so you could get it right this time?

No, thanks. Just the oldies, please. And one of these...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1681
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home