Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...495496497498499500501502503504505...LastNext
Current Page: 500 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 11, 2022 11:03

I'd have imagined that there probably were, at least, tentative plans to release a 'duets-type' album. After all, why so many guests in 2013? Sure, they'd had others join them on previous tours, but it seems that nearly every North American show that year had someone join them: Swift, Sheeran, Grohl, etc. An album in mind makes sense, in my opinion.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 11, 2022 11:13

ok mick you got us to speculate and obsess over a non existent album for 500 pages

very funny

now please release the album we've suffered enough

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 11, 2022 11:31

Big Al
I'd have imagined that there probably were, at least, tentative plans to release a 'duets-type' album. After all, why so many guests in 2013? Sure, they'd had others join them on previous tours, but it seems that nearly every North American show that year had someone join them: Swift, Sheeran, Grohl, etc. An album in mind makes sense, in my opinion.

Well, I was also one of those quilty ones speculating with idea of releasing those duets in some form (although I don't know if traditional 'album' was necessarily in their mind). There were so many of them, and different songs, etc. However, at the time HONK was released I recall there being some contractual problems with some of the big names. It could be that it aborted initially any more profilic release.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-11 11:32 by Doxa.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 11, 2022 12:16

Page 500, whoohoo. Artists are still releasing crappy albums, so there really should be no pressure to put out what’s ready. Seriously it’s not a legacy issue, come on man. Or hole up in a barn in Colorado and write songs about burning Mother Earth or being part English and American. Let’s see, call the song Brimerica..

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 11, 2022 12:31

Big Al

Big Al,
it's very possible that they had a project like this in mind at some time, it's just that I did not hear anything about it from inside sources, but it does not mean that there actually weren't any plans.

By the way - CONGRATS, you made it! 500! Wooheee!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 11, 2022 12:34

500 and counting

Date: February 11, 2022 12:35

KRiffhard
C'mon boys!!! Straight to 500 pages!!! smileys with beerhot smiley
Now we don't want a new album anymore...we want 1000 pages!!!

No that's what I call "true spirit"!

Finally, talk about the new album has become more important than the album itself!

Date: February 11, 2022 12:41

Doxa
retired_dog
GasLightStreet
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
GasLightStreet
Don't ever quote me old... or whatever the saying is.

Yet... for those that continue with the "money" aspect of the Stones recording/releasing or not recording/releasing a new album because of sales:

None of it's got anything to do with money. I mean, it translates itself into money, but none of us is greatly concerned with making money. None of the pressures are concerned with money nor with image. I just try and make the best music I can.

Mick Jagger
[timeisonourside.com]

That was then, this is now.

Fact is that since Bridges, they had no motivation whatsoever to go back into a "new album every 3 years"-mode and no contractual obligation either. They realized that they simply did not need regular releases of new music to keep the ball rolling.

Look, their idol Chuck Berry had 38 years between his second to last and last album. Compared to this timespan, we can consider ourselves lucky if we get the new (and likely last) Stones album this year.

Seemingly, they tried in 2001, in Paris, but scrapped the project?

Was it really a "new album" project that got scrapped? Or was their intention to record just a small handful of new tracks for the upcoming 40 Licks compilation right from the start? Just like for GRRR! a decade later?

We don't know that. However, they spent quite some time recording in Paris, and the leaked "Licks Sessions" showed a range of material that lead me to believe that had they been satisfied with the outcome, we might have gotten an album instead of the four tracks on 40 Licks.

It's possible, indeed. On the other hand, it's also possible than unlike GRRR! a decade later when they entered the studio with just two tracks already singled out, the situation may have been a bit "looser" in Paris, like, "we need 3 or 4 new tracks, so everybody please bring a couple of ideas/sketches so we can see what we can do with 'em!".

I want to believe the latter, because the Stones having an album in mind and ultimately failing to deliver already 20 years ago is a rather uncomforting thought!

From what little I've read, they intentionally recorded songs for the greatest hits package, not for a new album, even though they recorded enough to consider a new album. Based on the results of FORTY LICKS, the hits comp was a cross promotion of the ABKCO reissues and... nothing new from Virgin. I've never found out why, exactly, and if someone has any info on that, great, but it was hailed as a first time ever... of course it was, because it was. Were there some people at Virgin thinking Wow! We could have our very own catalog version of HOT ROCKS with REWIND? or whatever, that kind of mentality?

Seems logical - and why not.

At the time prior to the band's 40th Anniversary, Virgin was mainly keen on a career-spanning compilation. It even went as far as threatening ABKCO with the prospect of the Stones re-recording pre-1971 material in case they were not willing to cooperate.

That's exactly what someone high in Virgin's food chain told me. I remember very well how disappointed I was to learn that there was little to no interest on Virgin's side in releasing previously unreleased material from the archives for this occasion.

I guess the point of Virgin was to get the most from their artist commercially. The bulk of their contract was still new releases, and still back then new Stones albums were a big payday for anyone involved. Add there the prospect of the first whole career covering greatest hits collection and if memory serves FORTY LICKS turned out to be the best selling album in Virgin years. They put all the bullets there (including a couple of new tracks). Releasing old unreleased material was then like now a diehard fan item, with not such a commercially awarding possibilities. I guess the band wasn't either that into 'looking back' yet.

Just thinking out loud the rationale there...

- Doxa

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that band and record company were "thinking big", and archive releases had obviously no place in this mindframe. Just a little more than spare change for them - not worth the effort...

Date: February 11, 2022 15:06

retired_dog
Big Al

Big Al,
it's very possible that they had a project like this in mind at some time, it's just that I did not hear anything about it from inside sources, but it does not mean that there actually weren't any plans.

Wasn't there a press report about the duet album, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: February 11, 2022 15:31

I definitely read about the duets album too, but whether it was in an interview or just on a messageboard, I couldn't say!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 11, 2022 15:43

Who in the heck wants to listen to album of a dozen other famous artists ruining the performance of a perfectly good Stones song.

Not knocking all these otherwise great performers...but it very rarely works.

[Unless you're Bo Diddley...with the confidence and standing to treat the Stones as your backing band grinning smiley]

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 11, 2022 16:26

It partly came to fruition with some of the live tracks on HONK.

Date: February 11, 2022 19:17

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
Big Al

Big Al,

Wasn't there a press report about the duet album, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

That's a very good question, indeed. I can only remember that this fabled duet album came up here every now and then, but always in mind how Dave Matthews ruined Memory Motel on No Security for me, I was not interested and never asked any further. Plus, as some of the 2013 live duets were abysmal imo, I never felt inclined to change my opinion.

So where is Rockman when you need him?

Date: February 11, 2022 19:48

retired_dog
Doxa
retired_dog
GasLightStreet
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
GasLightStreet
Don't ever quote me old... or whatever the saying is.

Yet... for those that continue with the "money" aspect of the Stones recording/releasing or not recording/releasing a new album because of sales:

None of it's got anything to do with money. I mean, it translates itself into money, but none of us is greatly concerned with making money. None of the pressures are concerned with money nor with image. I just try and make the best music I can.

Mick Jagger
[timeisonourside.com]

That was then, this is now.

Fact is that since Bridges, they had no motivation whatsoever to go back into a "new album every 3 years"-mode and no contractual obligation either. They realized that they simply did not need regular releases of new music to keep the ball rolling.

Look, their idol Chuck Berry had 38 years between his second to last and last album. Compared to this timespan, we can consider ourselves lucky if we get the new (and likely last) Stones album this year.

Seemingly, they tried in 2001, in Paris, but scrapped the project?

Was it really a "new album" project that got scrapped? Or was their intention to record just a small handful of new tracks for the upcoming 40 Licks compilation right from the start? Just like for GRRR! a decade later?

We don't know that. However, they spent quite some time recording in Paris, and the leaked "Licks Sessions" showed a range of material that lead me to believe that had they been satisfied with the outcome, we might have gotten an album instead of the four tracks on 40 Licks.

It's possible, indeed. On the other hand, it's also possible than unlike GRRR! a decade later when they entered the studio with just two tracks already singled out, the situation may have been a bit "looser" in Paris, like, "we need 3 or 4 new tracks, so everybody please bring a couple of ideas/sketches so we can see what we can do with 'em!".

I want to believe the latter, because the Stones having an album in mind and ultimately failing to deliver already 20 years ago is a rather uncomforting thought!

From what little I've read, they intentionally recorded songs for the greatest hits package, not for a new album, even though they recorded enough to consider a new album. Based on the results of FORTY LICKS, the hits comp was a cross promotion of the ABKCO reissues and... nothing new from Virgin. I've never found out why, exactly, and if someone has any info on that, great, but it was hailed as a first time ever... of course it was, because it was. Were there some people at Virgin thinking Wow! We could have our very own catalog version of HOT ROCKS with REWIND? or whatever, that kind of mentality?

Seems logical - and why not.

At the time prior to the band's 40th Anniversary, Virgin was mainly keen on a career-spanning compilation. It even went as far as threatening ABKCO with the prospect of the Stones re-recording pre-1971 material in case they were not willing to cooperate.

That's exactly what someone high in Virgin's food chain told me. I remember very well how disappointed I was to learn that there was little to no interest on Virgin's side in releasing previously unreleased material from the archives for this occasion.

I guess the point of Virgin was to get the most from their artist commercially. The bulk of their contract was still new releases, and still back then new Stones albums were a big payday for anyone involved. Add there the prospect of the first whole career covering greatest hits collection and if memory serves FORTY LICKS turned out to be the best selling album in Virgin years. They put all the bullets there (including a couple of new tracks). Releasing old unreleased material was then like now a diehard fan item, with not such a commercially awarding possibilities. I guess the band wasn't either that into 'looking back' yet.

Just thinking out loud the rationale there...

- Doxa

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that band and record company were "thinking big", and archive releases had obviously no place in this mindframe. Just a little more than spare change for them - not worth the effort...

Thinking about it, it's easy see why the plug was pulled concerning the fabled "Memory Hotel" album of unreleased tracks from (then) recent years, even more so if one takes the commercial failure, even desaster, of "No Security" in consideration - a live album that was designed for the core Stones fans, consisting (almost) entirely of tracks that never saw a live release before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-11 19:50 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 11, 2022 20:54

KRiffhard

smiling smiley

500 pages without a new album...it's like a lump of coal in your Christmas stocking!
1000 pages here we come...like a kick in the teeth...this thread is the gift that keeps on giving...no new album necessary. winking smiley

By the way, thinking of Ian Billen on this somber/celebratory occasion...his many contributions helped this thread "succeed"...
Seems he's become one of the lost casualties of this long and painful thread...another victim of "hitting the wall"....

Date: February 11, 2022 22:25

Hairball
KRiffhard

smiling smiley

500 pages without a new album...it's like a lump of coal in your Christmas stocking!
1000 pages here we come...like a kick in the teeth...this thread is the gift that keeps on giving...no new album necessary. winking smiley

By the way, thinking of Ian Billen on this somber/celebratory occasion...his many contributions helped this thread "succeed"...
Seems he's become one of the lost casualties of this long and painful thread...another victim of "hitting the wall"....

Yeah, Ian, where are you? It's been a long long time since I saw this "last post by Ian Billen" quote in the thread list.

On with the show, good health to you!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 11, 2022 23:50

retired_dog

Yeah, Ian, where are you?

Lost: he didn't follow the forum rules anymore.

Date: February 12, 2022 00:22

Irix
retired_dog

Yeah, Ian, where are you?

Lost: he didn't follow the forum rules anymore.

Forcedly retired, so to speak...

Hope there's a chance that he will be out on bail soon!

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 13, 2022 15:26

A few pages ago there was a discussion between a downloader/streamer and a hard copy collector. I prefer a new cd even with old material to bits and pieces spread all over my computer.
Despite talking about new material there are lots of overlooked songs on dvds and greatest hits boxes, hidden b-sides and by now unavailable ones that could make up a new album for us ccollectors and a general public.

Here is my list (no particular order intended):
Ghost Town (a must!), Gimme Shelter (benefit version), Hurricane (or Keith has to do that one for his own), Under the Radar, Don't Wanna Go Home, The Storm, So Young, Jump on Top of Me, I'm Gonna Drive, Don't Stop, Losing My Touch, Keys to Your Love, Stealing My Heart (or is 40 Licks still available?), Cook Cook Blues, I Think I'm Going Mad (no, it wasn't on Rarities!), Extreme Western Grip, Well Well, Doom and Gloom, One More Shot, Everything's Turning to Gold (indeed this one, too!)
plus Watching the River Flow (including Bill!!!)

The same is possible for a live record with (mostly Soul) cover versions in the vein of Blue And Lonesome!:
The Nearness Of You, Night Time, Bob Wills, Learning the Game, Mr Pitiful, Get up Stand up, Come Together, I'll Go Crazy, Rock Me Baby (I'm sure AC/DC won't mind being on a Stones record) Love Train (Champagne & Reefer is on the still available Shine a Light)
plus Con Le Mie Lacrime (some year, somewhere in Italy) and Glastonbury Girls!

Date: February 13, 2022 16:49

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-13 16:51 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: February 13, 2022 16:50

JJHMick
A few pages ago there was a discussion between a downloader/streamer and a hard copy collector. I prefer a new cd even with old material to bits and pieces spread all over my computer.
Despite talking about new material there are lots of overlooked songs on dvds and greatest hits boxes, hidden b-sides and by now unavailable ones that could make up a new album for us ccollectors and a general public.

Ghost Town (a must!), Gimme Shelter (benefit version), Hurricane (or Keith has to do that one for his own), Under the Radar, Don't Wanna Go Home, The Storm, So Young, Jump on Top of Me, I'm Gonna Drive, Don't Stop, Losing My Touch, Keys to Your Love, Stealing My Heart (or is 40 Licks still available?), Cook Cook Blues, I Think I'm Going Mad (no, it wasn't on Rarities!), Extreme Western Grip, Well Well, Doom and Gloom, One More Shot, Everything's Turning to Gold (indeed this one, too!)

The same is possible for a live record with (mostly Soul) cover versions in the vein of Blue And Lonesome!:
The Nearness Of You, Night Time, Bob Wills, Learning the Game, Mr Pitiful, Get up Stand up, Come Together, I'll Go Crazy, Rock Me Baby (I'm sure AC/DC won't mind being on a Stones record) Love Train (Champagne & Reefer is on the still available Shine a Light)

that sounds dangerously close to what rarities was

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: February 13, 2022 17:27

all those songs on one product put 25 cool pictures and you have something,
thank you for everyone who has shared with me.
the stones fans are amazing people,thank you to bv for some where to go
this year maybe the stones will flood us with material

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 13, 2022 17:29

ProfessorWolf
JJHMick

It's more like Flowers from the 60s, compiling an album from various sources.
(Actually, Rarities wasn't that rare, consisting of material from Platinum and Gold records mostly.

Anyway, I was surprised when collecting these titles how "productive" the band was during the last decades.
And the live album would be a "never released before" one.

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: February 13, 2022 17:57

Was there a shelfed album necrophilia???

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 13, 2022 17:59

Forget the album - be happy with Ronnie's art and the reissues...

Date: February 14, 2022 02:01

kkhoranstoned
Was there a shelfed album necrophilia???

yes there was it a alternate early version of the metamorphosis album with different tracks on it

you should be able to find it without much difficulties

higly recommend if you haven't got it yet

Date: February 14, 2022 02:17

JJHMick
ProfessorWolf
JJHMick

It's more like Flowers from the 60s, compiling an album from various sources.
(Actually, Rarities wasn't that rare, consisting of material from Platinum and Gold records mostly.

Anyway, I was surprised when collecting these titles how "productive" the band was during the last decades.
And the live album would be a "never released before" one.

yeah i'd like that too and would buy it if it was released

but if there gonna but together something i'd much rather have boxsets of unreleased live recordings and studio outtakes

but what you suggest is far more likely so i'll take what i can get

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 14, 2022 17:05

KeithNacho
500 and counting

Three more posts until 15000 - two more ...

Date: February 14, 2022 17:10

retired_dog
KRiffhard

No that's what I call "true spirit"!

Finally, talk about the new album has become more important than the album itself!

Once the new album's there, there will be nothing left to say. It's all been said already in this thread ... winking smiley

Date: February 14, 2022 17:11

OK, one more: now we've got 15000 posts.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...495496497498499500501502503504505...LastNext
Current Page: 500 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2194
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home