Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...491492493494495496497498499500501...LastNext
Current Page: 496 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 1, 2022 11:32

JJHMick
Taken from frenki09's post above:
Rolling Stone would never ever give less than 4 starts to a Stones album.

They probably deserved the four stars every time.
Frank Laufenberg is/was a famous (radio) journalist in Germany. I remember him reviewing Undercover by saying "Undercover is a mediocre Rolling Stones album. But any mediocre Rolling Stones album is better than 99 per cent of any releases this year."

Yeah, with that criterion every Stones album is five stars in my book. And they also are by many other criterion as well.

But I think that is what makes it pretty hard to judge: what is the comparison against which we make the evaluation? Is it the stuff that is released around the same time by other artists? Or is it their own previous works? Like is it the contemporary scene or like their own artistic evolution that is our point of reference. In the case of UNDERCOVER is it Duran Duran or EXILE ON MAIN STREET?

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-01 11:39 by Doxa.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 1, 2022 11:46

yeah we did it everyone 496

almost there!

Date: February 1, 2022 11:56

ProfessorWolf
yeah we did it everyone 496

almost there!

I do my best, prof! winking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 1, 2022 12:08

ROCKMAN

Date: February 1, 2022 12:12

But I pity the poor music critic.

If I needed to do a review after, say, three listenings (like they do), this would have been the results of me rating certain Stones albums:

TATTOO YOU: two stars (my first Stones album - I was like: what the hell is this? B-side???? )
EXILE: three stars (this is a totally obscure set of noise, somehow resembling individual songs at pieces)
DIRTY WORK: five stars (wow, the Stones sound so angry and contemporary, great sounds)
VOODOO LOUNGE: five stars (pure, trademark Stones, every sound so familiar and spot on.)

After, say, 50-100 listenings the results were a bit different... winking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-01 12:20 by Doxa.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 1, 2022 14:21

JJHMick
Frank Laufenberg is/was a famous (radio) journalist in Germany. I remember him reviewing Undercover by saying "Undercover is a mediocre Rolling Stones album. But any mediocre Rolling Stones album is better than 99 per cent of any releases this year."

That line of argument had been applied already to GHS, judging from one of the Stones books that came out in the early 80ies (I think it was in Dalton's book but not totally sure).

When GHS came out I was about 12 years old and I found it pretty uninteresting then (not to say mostly boring). Back then I found ELP great, and Deep Purple, and the fight in my peer group back then was not Beatles vs. Stones but Deep Purple vs. Sweet ... Or course, GHS (or the Stones as such) was pretty relevant to people a few years older.

Likewise, today's teens or young adults possibly have better things to do than worry about a new Stones album, or even any album as such, or music in general. Thus, if it's about the Stones being relevant, or Mick's alleged intention to be relevant, the question is, relevant to who? The teens, the twens, the seasoned fans like us, mankind altogether? I'm just wondering if trying to be relevant is the way to go for them (doesn't appear tbe Keith's way anyway). Yet, trying to make a good album (by whatever standards) is still a respectable goal.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 1, 2022 15:48

Doxa

If I needed to do a review after, say, three listenings (like they do), this would have been the results of me rating certain Stones albums:

TATTOO YOU: two stars (my first Stones album - I was like: what the hell is this? B-side???? )
EXILE: three stars (this is a totally obscure set of noise, somehow resembling individual songs at pieces)
DIRTY WORK: five stars (wow, the Stones sound so angry and contemporary, great sounds)
VOODOO LOUNGE: five stars (pure, trademark Stones, every sound so familiar and spot on.)

After, say, 50-100 listenings the results were a bit different... winking smiley

- Doxa

music critics who listen to an entire album three times? Are you sure that those type of music critics are still around?

Date: February 1, 2022 15:56

slewan
Doxa

- Doxa

music critics who listen to an entire album three times? Are you sure that those type of music critics are still around?

Haha. I tried to be kind... (admit, I exeggarated for the sake of argument...)

- Doxa

Date: February 1, 2022 16:21

doitywoik
JJHMick

That line of argument had been applied already to GHS, judging from one of the Stones books that came out in the early 80ies (I think it was in Dalton's book but not totally sure).

When GHS came out I was about 12 years old and I found it pretty uninteresting then (not to say mostly boring). Back then I found ELP great, and Deep Purple, and the fight in my peer group back then was not Beatles vs. Stones but Deep Purple vs. Sweet ... Or course, GHS (or the Stones as such) was pretty relevant to people a few years older.

Likewise, today's teens or young adults possibly have better things to do than worry about a new Stones album, or even any album as such, or music in general. Thus, if it's about the Stones being relevant, or Mick's alleged intention to be relevant, the question is, relevant to who? The teens, the twens, the seasoned fans like us, mankind altogether? I'm just wondering if trying to be relevant is the way to go for them (doesn't appear tbe Keith's way anyway). Yet, trying to make a good album (by whatever standards) is still a respectable goal.

Good points, but I think Mick's concern is not any unrealistic dream to be relevant (I don't think he is so out of reality), but more like any professional artist's concern: is there an audience. Does what I do still have a function? Forget the old romantic myth that still and mostly seem to live within a rock culture. That of old egoist self-importance of 'since I am so damn creative genius I have to put this out although no one really has cared a shit of any of my doings for ages, or I couln't care shit if anyone is interest or not'. Oh shit, any creative pro artist or performer does things not to him or her self but to the people. The meaning is there. What is the point of songs no one listens to?

Like Charlie Watts once said, 'We wouldn't tour, if there wouldn't been an audience, a demand'. They are not doing this for themselves, but for the people. That's the nature of the game. Forget romantic myths.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-01 16:45 by Doxa.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 1, 2022 19:03

The Stones had 2.86 million people show up to see the 2017-2021 NO FILTER tour.

Of course there's no way to figure out how many of those would play/stream or buy a new LP.

What defines a success in 2022? One million streams? 10 million streams?

Why are streams deemed a success? Steve Jobs thought streaming was a bad idea!

There's never been a way to know how many times someone played an album (any format). Streaming allows that to be tallied. But that's just with one platform. Perhaps Apple can actually see if Billiam Smith listened to STICKY FINGERS 45 times in 2021.

There's quite a few options for streaming.

It's extremely ridiculous that more people that ever in the 20 teens had access to music and musicians now basically make no money from... people listening to music.

Some artists seemingly don't care what it costs to make an album, they want to make an album, and apparently it doesn't matter if hardly anyone buys it. That's just the way it seems to have become.

Hopefully Mick still feels compelled to make a new Stones album. This is him from quite a few albums ago, of which, well, not much has changed:

We COULD talk about the next album, but then that's difficult (grins). I don't know what to say about it. I've written a lot of songs for it which are REALLY GREAT. I hope it's gonna be a good album. I ALWAYS hope it's gonna be a good album... You can get a feel for the album from the songs that have been written. But there's no use bragging about it or theorizing it 'til we've at least started it. It SHOULD be a good album. I'm hoping to get it done quickly. Of course, that sounds very good now, but this time next year we'll be sitting here saying What happened to that really QUICK album?
- Mick Jagger, September 1977

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 1, 2022 22:33

GasLightStreet
The Stones had 2.86 million people show up to see the 2017-2021 NO FILTER tour.

Of course there's no way to figure out how many of those would play/stream or buy a new LP.

What defines a success in 2022? One million streams? 10 million streams?

Why are streams deemed a success? Steve Jobs thought streaming was a bad idea!

There's never been a way to know how many times someone played an album (any format). Streaming allows that to be tallied. But that's just with one platform. Perhaps Apple can actually see if Billiam Smith listened to STICKY FINGERS 45 times in 2021.

There's quite a few options for streaming.

It's extremely ridiculous that more people that ever in the 20 teens had access to music and musicians now basically make no money from... people listening to music.

Some artists seemingly don't care what it costs to make an album, they want to make an album, and apparently it doesn't matter if hardly anyone buys it. That's just the way it seems to have become.

Hopefully Mick still feels compelled to make a new Stones album. This is him from quite a few albums ago, of which, well, not much has changed:

We COULD talk about the next album, but then that's difficult (grins). I don't know what to say about it. I've written a lot of songs for it which are REALLY GREAT. I hope it's gonna be a good album. I ALWAYS hope it's gonna be a good album... You can get a feel for the album from the songs that have been written. But there's no use bragging about it or theorizing it 'til we've at least started it. It SHOULD be a good album. I'm hoping to get it done quickly. Of course, that sounds very good now, but this time next year we'll be sitting here saying What happened to that really QUICK album?
- Mick Jagger, September 1977

[timeisonourside.com]

Yeah, what defines a success in 2022?

In the end, 2022 is no different than any previous year in professional music (or professional work in general on a wider scale):

The measure of "success" is always if a certain work generates income or creates financial loss.

Doxa already pointed out what Charlie Watts once said, 'We wouldn't tour, if there wouldn't been an audience, a demand'.

That's the whole truth, and I'm glad that Jagger did not say this and state the obvious.

Artistic success? That's a different game. Nice to have a certain work recognized and praised, but in music history there are numerous examples of artists who had artistically successful albums that did not sell and were freed from their record contracts soon afterwards by their respective companies.

As I've already mentioned in one of my previous posts, considering the current music business, it's a miracle in itself that the Stones at their age have bothered recording new material at all. They haven't done this for nothin'. It will come out.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 1, 2022 23:05

I've previously advocated for them to simply GIVE AWAY the album as a free download for ticket holders as one way to distribute their music. I don't even think this is a new concept anymore.

It's not as though they're losing real money by doing so.

True, it may not be 'tallied' in the official sales totals but then people that paid all that money for tickets would at least get exposed to the new music, and anyone wanting to buy the physical copies aren't likely to be deterred just because they've got it as a download.

They just need to think about other ways to distribute the new tunes as they won't make any real sales inroads other than that first week, if the past is any indication.

Date: February 2, 2022 00:16

treaclefingers
I've previously advocated for them to simply GIVE AWAY the album as a free download for ticket holders as one way to distribute their music. I don't even think this is a new concept anymore.

It's not as though they're losing real money by doing so.

True, it may not be 'tallied' in the official sales totals but then people that paid all that money for tickets would at least get exposed to the new music, and anyone wanting to buy the physical copies aren't likely to be deterred just because they've got it as a download.

They just need to think about other ways to distribute the new tunes as they won't make any real sales inroads other than that first week, if the past is any indication.

The free download for ticket holders is a great idea imo, but for some reason the Stones think differently. There seems to be a more or less strict division between their record and concert businesses or whatever, I can't exactly nail what prevents them from spreading new music to people who at least are willing to pay hundreds of Dollars for a single ticket. However, it would be interesting to see how many ticket holders actually use their free download code and by doing so, show interest in their new music, not to speak of further exploring by repeated listening or even cherishing it!

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: February 2, 2022 04:47

There will be more stuff from the Vaults but at this point if they haven’t put it out by now, they never will. There, I’ve said it!!!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 2, 2022 05:22

donvis
There will be more stuff from the Vaults but at this point if they haven’t put it out by now, they never will. There, I’ve said it!!!

or they'll release whatever they have this summer for the 60th

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 2, 2022 16:49

From The Sun, February 1:

Ronnie also revealed the group were planning a tour around Europe in the coming months and were putting live music above their hotly anticipated new record.

He said of the album: “It’s coming along slowly. It’s the gaps in between that eat up all the time. It is a matter of getting us all together again. “Everyone is in a different part of the world.

"So instead of putting emphasis on rushing an album, we’re doing the opposite and taking a really long time. And we’re putting live shows first.”

[www.the-sun.com]

Date: February 2, 2022 17:52

bye bye johnny
From The Sun, February 1:

Ronnie also revealed the group were planning a tour around Europe in the coming months and were putting live music above their hotly anticipated new record.

He said of the album: “It’s coming along slowly. It’s the gaps in between that eat up all the time. It is a matter of getting us all together again. “Everyone is in a different part of the world.

"So instead of putting emphasis on rushing an album, we’re doing the opposite and taking a really long time. And we’re putting live shows first.”

[www.the-sun.com]

"...rushing an album..." - Ronnie's always good for a nice little joke, inne?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 2, 2022 19:09

“It’s coming along slowly..."

Quite an understatement - 16 years and counting with no new album in sight....
Maybe it's already time to change the thread title again - thinking 2024 or 2025 would be more accurate at this snails pace.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 2, 2022 20:35

Ronnie makes it sound like getting them all together in one place is a monumental task. They still have intercontinental jet airliners don't they? There's only three of them to worry about now. The rest are just side musicians whose parts can be added later. They don't care about the bass anymore. Mick will just add it on his free weekend. Doesn't Keith still have Redlands to stay at? Mick has a London place. Are the studios not up to snuff there? They snap right together for a mega million dollar tour. Not a one of them is late for the payout.

I've never had any expectations for the new album, whenever it appears. I haven't listened to any Stones album (excepting B&L) post Wyman for years. I remember hearing Start Me Up the first time, and thinking it was a little clunky, but give it time. Sure enough, multi plays revealed all the parts coming together. I don't expect that now. I've been satisfied with the odd single, and gussied up 'bonus track' from the boxsets from the last 12 years. That's right, the vintage era is a dozen years old.

The best recent, original sounding Stones song was Mick and Dave Grohl's 'Eazy Sleazy'. I've forgotten why I can't download it, or can you? It's sixty years on. Poor Keith can barely wrap his arthritic fingers around a Fender neck. If there's a new album, so be it. If not, I'll always have the first 30 years or so to enjoy.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 2, 2022 20:47

The album is at the bottom on the list of priorities, a sad thing because each year the sales are lower, the target audience is lower and the health of the band members is not getting any better.

I listened ABB a couple of weeks ago...o dear...Mick must be thinking twice if he wants to release a record like that with so many bad songs on it, all generic, he must be terrified, not even a solo record was released after ABB, his confidence to collect 12 songs worth the wait to release is not there.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 2, 2022 23:03

georgelicks
The album is at the bottom on the list of priorities, a sad thing because each year the sales are lower, the target audience is lower and the health of the band members is not getting any better.

I listened ABB a couple of weeks ago...o dear...Mick must be thinking twice if he wants to release a record like that with so many bad songs on it, all generic, he must be terrified, not even a solo record was released after ABB, his confidence to collect 12 songs worth the wait to release is not there.

thumbs up

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 2, 2022 23:13

Hairball

Maybe it's already time to change the thread title again - thinking 2024 or 2025 would be more accurate at this snails pace.

Hey, Hairball. Yep, I’m in total agreement. This is ho depressing, really. Whereas, yes, I’m thrilled they’re still performing - and I would mind a free ticket! -, I, genuinely, long for a new album. In September 2023, I turn 40. If that isn’t scary-enough a proposition for me, one album of all-original Jagger-Richards compositions since ‘05 certainly is. I, personally, find their creative hiatus to be ludicrous. These guys wrote Gimme Shelter and Satisfaction, right? Can they not just knock-out a dozen numbers? I know I’ll get a few negative responses with this post, but man, I’m just a little frustrated, you know?

Date: February 2, 2022 23:14

They can do a mini fall tour to continue the 60th anniversary celebrations to promote the new album then a release by christmas à la blue and lonesome

Date: February 2, 2022 23:26

DiegoGlimmerStones
They can do a mini fall tour to continue the 60th anniversary celebrations to promote the new album then a release by christmas à la blue and lonesome

Or simply release the album before the summer tour.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 2, 2022 23:40

I don't think it's fair to rate ABB as a terrible album. Rough Justice is fun, Mick's lyrics are still first rate. And even his bass playing is..........well, okay, that's terrible, but almost all bass playing on Post Wyman Stones songs is sub-standard. I find it better than BTB, but still just mostly an echo of what they've already done, like Voodoo Lounge was.

Come on, we can't expect them to be the Stones of the 60s and 70s. The drummer's dead, the bass player split 30 years ago, and the rhythm guitarist has crippling arthritis. It be like Paul and Ringo replacing John and George with a couple studio hired hands and hitting the road as the Beatles.

Date: February 3, 2022 00:13

Jeff Sarli's acoustic bass playing on B2B is 'sub standard'? Why?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 3, 2022 01:08

Big Al
Hairball

Hey, Hairball. Yep, I’m in total agreement. This is ho depressing, really. Whereas, yes, I’m thrilled they’re still performing - and I would mind a free ticket! -, I, genuinely, long for a new album. In September 2023, I turn 40. If that isn’t scary-enough a proposition for me, one album of all-original Jagger-Richards compositions since ‘05 certainly is. I, personally, find their creative hiatus to be ludicrous. These guys wrote Gimme Shelter and Satisfaction, right? Can they not just knock-out a dozen numbers? I know I’ll get a few negative responses with this post, but man, I’m just a little frustrated, you know?

Yes the can, it would be ABB 2: a bunch of all sounding the same songs, Stones by numbers, and it looks like Mick doesn't want to release an album like that again.

Date: February 3, 2022 01:09

DandelionPowderman
DiegoGlimmerStones

Or simply release the album before the summer tour.

That would be even better. Hopefully we can expect a 2022 release

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 3, 2022 02:12

24FPS
I don't think it's fair to rate ABB as a terrible album. Rough Justice is fun, Mick's lyrics are still first rate. And even his bass playing is..........well, okay, that's terrible, but almost all bass playing on Post Wyman Stones songs is sub-standard. I find it better than BTB, but still just mostly an echo of what they've already done, like Voodoo Lounge was.

Come on, we can't expect them to be the Stones of the 60s and 70s. The drummer's dead, the bass player split 30 years ago, and the rhythm guitarist has crippling arthritis. It be like Paul and Ringo replacing John and George with a couple studio hired hands and hitting the road as the Beatles.

Yeah and which great songs did Paul McCartney release in the last 30 years? I don't remember any. Almost none of the artist of their generation did. It doesn't matter, it's still fun to listen to their new stuff even though it's not relevant and mostly forgettable.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 3, 2022 04:33

Doxa
...but I think Mick's concern is not any unrealistic dream to be relevant (I don't think he is so out of reality), but more like any professional artist's concern: is there an audience. Does what I do still have a function?

You're certainly right that the Mick-wishing-to-be-relevant thing is rather a projection of ours (or at least, some of us). Regarding audience or function, I wonder whether the question is also a bit, How large is that audience, and would it be enough to have a function only for the hardcore fans?

As for live shows, there's still a sufficiently large audience and Mick sure still does an amazing job as a performer. Compare a Stones audience these days to, say, a Saga or Uriah Heep audience, which may be as small as 20 people.*)

One might think things wouldn'd just be quite the same w.r.t. a new album, but I guess there's a heap of other artists out there who'd be very happy to have half the sales, stream, press pieces etc. of a new Stones album. It's just a question of perspective.

Anyways, a difficult question and we will never know the answer! winking smiley

*)That is not made up, it's first-hand experience. I have actually been to a Saga concert a few years back (my brother is quite a fan) and there were only a about 20 people there ...

*)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...491492493494495496497498499500501...LastNext
Current Page: 496 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1449
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home