Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...348349350351352353354355356357358...LastNext
Current Page: 353 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 26, 2019 02:32

The relevance of talking about TATTOO YOU in this thread is because of the possibility of them working on old tracks. They've done it before for other albums but not flat out specifically for an album ie TY. But if they indeed have possibly up to 20 new songs, there's obviously no telling what they'll do with the older ones - if they even are working on any of them.

Don Was would know about that.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: June 26, 2019 04:16

GasLightStreet
IanBillen
Stoneage
So Tattoo You is a stew made of seasoned leftovers from the seventies? But some very tasty leftovers put together by a master chef.
I wouldn't mind if they came up with a stew like that again...

Let me be clear about Tattoo You .. and tame down some perception that isn't factual.

The songs were polished up .. and two new songs were added from scratch. Tattoo You was not 100% from previous work.

There is nothing published anywhere to suggest anything new was recorded ie the band; it's all leftover tracks. Heaven and Neighbours were recorded for EMOTIONAL RESCUE but weren't finished until 1981 from all accounts.

Mick: Tattoo You is actually an old record. It's all a lot of old tracks that I dug out. And it was very strange circumstances. Chris Kimsey and I went though all the tracks from those two previous records. It wasn't all outtakes; some of it was old songs. And then I went back and found previous ones like Waiting on a Friend, from Goats Head Soup. They're all from different periods.

Well, you know, I don't think there's anything bad in using stuff (from) previous sessions. We recorded 20, 25 tracks and if you go on and if I say to everyone, Well... the first tracks to be finished are the ones that are gonna be on the album - if a track's not finished or if people have got doubts about it, then we'll save it, we'll recut it, throw it out the window, or put it on a future album.
- Mick Jagger, 1982

It's just that those songs didn't seem to fit on any album until now. We tried to use them before but they didn't seem to work. They're good songs though. But you know every album has a lot of oldies on it, and has done for years. We've used, like, Sweet Virginia which was on Exile On Main Street. That was recorded from before Beggars Banquet (sic).
- Mick Jagger, 1981

[timeisonourside.com]

Mick Jagger on Tattoo You from an 1995 Interview:

"Many of the songs consisted at this point of instrumental backing tracks for which vocals had not been recorded. Jagger said in a 1995 interview, "It wasn't all outtakes; some of it was old songs... I had to write lyrics and melodies. A lot of them didn't have anything, which is why they weren't used at the time – because they weren't complete. They were just bits, or they were from early takes

Start me up did not have 'lead' vocals done (it was more or less a scratch track at the time of these sessions. Kimsey put the bass (and drums) through a speaker and ran it into the bathroom at the studio to re-record it... well.. just to to add some 'boooomph' to it .. but those tracks were already laid down previously.

Heaven and Neighbors was worked was worked on during ER .. but they re-recorded some of it for TY.

Many of the songs had backing tracks (drums, bass, some guitar .. ) as Mick states above but not without all the instruments that made it to the final mix for Tattoo You .. and some without any vocals at all. Many were simply rough drafts. Kimsey did an incredible job with it.

However this notion that all the songs were basically done and they only touched them up and combined all those basically finished tracks for TY is false (Stones myth). Take it from Mick Jagger himself ..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-26 04:25 by IanBillen.

Date: June 26, 2019 08:42

<but not without all the instruments that made it to the final mix for Tattoo You>

That's correct for Slave, Neighbours and Waiting On A Friend (Rollins), cowbell (Slave) and perhaps guitar, keyboards and bass-overdubs (Heaven).

There is no precise info on the latter, though. Nor about Townshend's backing vocals on Slave..

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 26, 2019 12:57

Why are you talking about 'Tattoo You' on this thread? confused smiley

Date: June 26, 2019 13:08

KRiffhard
Why are you talking about 'Tattoo You' on this thread? confused smiley

The new songs might start to get old, like they were on TY smiling smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 26, 2019 17:14

The information provided on the last 2 pages makes it even more clear that TY isn´t a regular studio-album but a compilation of polished up old tracks (some more some less). The only way one could consider TY a "regular studio-album" would be if the Stones (everyone of them not just Mick) had re-recorded all of the old stuff, not using anything old from the 1972-75 stuff. Then it would have been a "regular studio album" indeed (although a studio album of re-recorded old material, not a "new studio album" - but at least it would have been a "regular studio album").

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 26, 2019 17:33

I find the issue of whether TY is a regular studio album or a compilation album fairly uninteresting really. One has to define the following terms, first:
-album
-studio album
-regular studio album
-compilation album
-old track
-new track
-polished up old track
-re-record
As people before me have pointed out already, a lot of songs have been recorded years before they appeared on albums like SF, Exile, Undercover and what have you not. Actually, the very first single, Come On, would have been a re-recorded old track.
Whatever the creative process at hand, it is the prerogative of the band to decide how to make records. To quote for example bassist Tom Petersson's answer when asked in 1990 how a then new album was made: "How it was made???"
Let's just hope the Stones will polish up or re-record or whatever the old tracks they recorded over the past, what, four years and finally release a new record!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-26 17:46 by SomeGuy.

Date: June 26, 2019 18:17

SomeGuy
I find the issue of whether TY is a regular studio album or a compilation album fairly uninteresting really.

It is interesting for many reasons.
Most of all it is necessary to konw that TY isn´t a "regular studio album" for judging their development as artists. TY simply just does not represent the Stones as artists in 1981 (date of release) - Undercover does represent the Stones as artists in 1983 (date of release).

Of course someone can always enjoy TY without caring what it actually is.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 26, 2019 19:12

I've always like the term 'Frankenstein' when referring to Tattoo You, and I believe it was HMS who originally coined that phrase.
Taking various parts, putting them together, and and bringing it back to life ala Frankenstein!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-26 19:13 by Hairball.

Date: June 26, 2019 19:29

HMS
SomeGuy
I find the issue of whether TY is a regular studio album or a compilation album fairly uninteresting really.

Most of all it is necessary to konw that TY isn´t a "regular studio album" for judging their development as artists. TY simply just does not represent the Stones as artists in 1981 (date of release) - Undercover does represent the Stones as artists in 1983 (date of release).

If the Stones ok'd the release of TY in 1981 then that is what they felt they were at, in my opinion. I don't deny the fact that the album bears the mark of earlier sounds, which is one factor why many people like it so much, after a number of lacklustre albums immediately before it (and after). But why bother about what to call it, regular studio album or compilation? Every album is essentially a compilation of songs. Mick Jagger has said that he doesn't think in terms of albums anyway, "we just record songs over long periods of time so I don't associate them with a specific album so much" or words to that effect. The fact that we, the listeners do (at least the older generation) doesn't mean anything to the way they should actually make those albums and hey, I'm an album kind of listener.

Date: June 26, 2019 19:30

GasLightStreet
Fortunately the music buying society and intelligent people don't care when the songs for an album were recorded and released. You're the only one and, fortunately, that means absolutely zero in reality.

...i would not take this for granted. A lot of people care and not all of them are fools. In fact it would be sad if people wouldnt care.

Date: June 26, 2019 19:36

HMS
SomeGuy

Yezzer Correct.. it def was not a regular studio album. It had no real writing sessions and full group recording sessions. It was a gathering of material from the past that had promise and then all pieced together. I do disagree with it being called a compilation more than a studio release though. Compilation albums refer to things already released or completed songs etc. It's basis was already there
... however it needed plenty of work to be ready. The perception among many is that they simply said .. we have 11 tracks all ready to go. Mix it in a week and put then they put it out .. which wasn't the case.

Now onto the new record .. I do not think the same is taking place here at all .. Possibly some ..but not the case with this one.

This one has been worked on all over and at intervals ... segments and bits ..

In between tours and other things. Shall be very interesting to hear the final product or at least know wth the album sounds like or is all about ha

Date: June 26, 2019 19:40

Hairball
I've always like the term 'Frankenstein' when referring to Tattoo You, and I believe it was HMS who originally coined that phrase.
Taking various parts, putting them together, and and bringing it back to life ala Frankenstein!

Yezzzz .. 'Frankenstein' or to Frankenstein something is a common recording studio slang term. Many times we use the term with comp tracks or when getting pieces for a track from different sessions. Tis easiest to do with vocals.

Date: June 26, 2019 19:56

IanBillen
HMS
SomeGuy

Yezzer Correct.. it def was not a regular studio album. It had no real writing sessions and full group recording sessions. It was a gathering of material from the past that had promise and then all pieced together. I do disagree with it being called a compilation more than a studio release though. Compilation albums refer to things already released or completed songs etc. It's basis was already there
... however it needed plenty of work to be ready. The perception among many is that they simply said .. we have 11 tracks all ready to go. Mix it in a week and put then they put it out .. which wasn't the case.

Now onto the new record .. I do not think the same is taking place here at all .. Possibly some ..but not the case with this one.

This one has been worked on all over and at intervals ... segments and bits ..

In between tours and other things. Shall be very interesting to hear the final product or at least know wth the album sounds like or is all about ha

It definitely was a studio album, whatever the term means. As far as I know every track was recorded in a studio, over a period of some eight years.
All this talk about studio albums, compilations, whatever, is just occupational deformation in language in my opinion, placed upon us by the music industry. Why is a song called track, or number? It's a song, a musical composition. The object it is pressed onto, that we can put into our machines to listen to it, is not relevant at all.
Personally I can recommend the third studio album by Beethoven. Also nice are the Four Serious Numbers, by Brahms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-26 20:06 by SomeGuy.

Date: June 26, 2019 20:24

SomeGuy
It definitely was a studio album

A studio album it was, but not a regular studio album.smoking smiley

Date: June 26, 2019 20:32

Maybe we will get a field album next. There was recording equipment yesterday, I gather.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: June 26, 2019 21:19

I must admit that the idea that a TY-level release of previously worked-on material is possible nowadays is .... amusing, to say the least.

This is a band who, since the '97 sessions for BtB, has been in the studio to work on new material for the following:

2002 - 'Don't Stop,' etc
2005 - ABB
2012 - 'D+G'
2015 - B&L
2016-? - ?

Now, if they wanted to go back and resurrect "Hillside Blues" and substitute some tasty Hammond B-3 licks from Chuck for Taylor's guitar ... well, count me in!

But if they're going to focus on the dredging through the past 22 years of their studio work for releasable gems ... what is the real likelihood - if we're honest - that anything left unreleased for the past couple of decades is ... actually releasable?

Date: June 26, 2019 21:43

LazarusSmith
But if they're going to focus on the dredging through the past 22 years of their studio work for releasable gems ... what is the real likelihood - if we're honest - that anything left unreleased for the past couple of decades is ... actually releasable?

Don´t think there´s much in the can they could use since...1989. They´ve been loading their post DW-albums with fillers, so what should be left? The best unused sketches from VL wouldnt even make up a four-track EP...

...and using material older than that... wouldn´t it sound hopelessly dated in... hm... 2020?

Date: June 26, 2019 22:20

HMS
LazarusSmith

Don´t think there´s much in the can they could use since...1989. They´ve been loading their post DW-albums with fillers, so what should be left? The best unused sketches from VL wouldnt even make up a four-track EP...

...and using material older than that... wouldn´t it sound hopelessly dated in... hm... 2020?

what "unused sketches" did you hear then. I've heard about 6 top notch songs from those sessions that were not put on any album or single. imo VL should have been a double album with each cd about 50 minutes long

Date: June 26, 2019 22:58

keefriffhard4life
what "unused sketches" did you hear then. I've heard about 6 top notch songs from those sessions that were not put on any album or single. imo VL should have been a double album with each cd about 50 minutes long

I´ve heard Brew,Stew,Ressidue.
A 100-minute version of VL? Hard to bear... it is way too long already...But I admit that the b-sides are dynamite.

Date: June 26, 2019 23:03

HMS
keefriffhard4life

I´ve heard Brew,Stew,Ressidue.
A 100-minute version of VL? Hard to bear... it is way too long already...But I admit that the b-sides are dynamite.

add the b-sides, honest man, zip mouth angel and remove about 3 tunes from the proper album to use on the 2nd cd and that's close to another 35 minutes already

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: June 26, 2019 23:11

Hairball

... and it became a true monster (... album).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 27, 2019 00:13

doitywoik
Hairball

Yes, and the last of it's kind...a true monster whose legend will live on for eternity. winking smiley

Date: June 27, 2019 00:40

Hairball
doitywoik
Hairball

Yes, and the last of it's kind...a true monster whose legend will live on for eternity. winking smiley

smileys with beer

Date: June 27, 2019 01:46

IanBillen
GasLightStreet
IanBillen
Stoneage
So Tattoo You is a stew made of seasoned leftovers from the seventies? But some very tasty leftovers put together by a master chef.

Let me be clear about Tattoo You .. and tame down some perception that isn't factual.

The songs were polished up .. and two new songs were added from scratch. Tattoo You was not 100% from previous work.

There is nothing published anywhere to suggest anything new was recorded ie the band; it's all leftover tracks. Heaven and Neighbours were recorded for EMOTIONAL RESCUE but weren't finished until 1981 from all accounts.

Mick: Tattoo You is actually an old record. It's all a lot of old tracks that I dug out. And it was very strange circumstances. Chris Kimsey and I went though all the tracks from those two previous records. It wasn't all outtakes; some of it was old songs. And then I went back and found previous ones like Waiting on a Friend, from Goats Head Soup. They're all from different periods.

Well, you know, I don't think there's anything bad in using stuff (from) previous sessions. We recorded 20, 25 tracks and if you go on and if I say to everyone, Well... the first tracks to be finished are the ones that are gonna be on the album - if a track's not finished or if people have got doubts about it, then we'll save it, we'll recut it, throw it out the window, or put it on a future album.
- Mick Jagger, 1982

It's just that those songs didn't seem to fit on any album until now. We tried to use them before but they didn't seem to work. They're good songs though. But you know every album has a lot of oldies on it, and has done for years. We've used, like, Sweet Virginia which was on Exile On Main Street. That was recorded from before Beggars Banquet (sic).
- Mick Jagger, 1981

[timeisonourside.com]

"Many of the songs consisted at this point of instrumental backing tracks for which vocals had not been recorded. Jagger said in a 1995 interview, "It wasn't all outtakes; some of it was old songs... I had to write lyrics and melodies. A lot of them didn't have anything, which is why they weren't used at the time – because they weren't complete. They were just bits, or they were from early takes

Start me up did not have 'lead' vocals done (it was more or less a scratch track at the time of these sessions. Kimsey put the bass (and drums) through a speaker and ran it into the bathroom at the studio to re-record it... well.. just to to add some 'boooomph' to it .. but those tracks were already laid down previously.

Heaven and Neighbors was worked was worked on during ER .. but they re-recorded some of it for TY.

Many of the songs had backing tracks (drums, bass, some guitar .. ) as Mick states above but not without all the instruments that made it to the final mix for Tattoo You .. and some without any vocals at all. Many were simply rough drafts. Kimsey did an incredible job with it.

However this notion that all the songs were basically done and they only touched them up and combined all those basically finished tracks for TY is false (Stones myth). Take it from Mick Jagger himself ..

The only point is that the bottoms ie live band tracks were done. They didn't record new bottoms.

Date: June 27, 2019 02:04

Some of the unfinished tracked songs ie songs recorded for the album for VOODOO are, from listening to those box sets, very well constructed songs. They felt, as they often do, the need to work on some other songs that were a bit wonky. There are plenty of wonky songs left off that they fortunately didn't finish, like the Kenny Loggins Danger Zone wannabe song Honest Man.

Keith's excellent It's Funny, there's the song with the keyboard and harmonica (Hold On You, which also seems to be called Ivy League), Keith's You Got It Made, Get It Made, Make It Now - all possible songs to finish (what's with the make it and made bit?).

Never heard any leftovers from the BTB sessions, we know some of what's leftover from the LICKS sessions, and it's possible that what was finished but not on BANG was released with the odd deluxe reissue.

Date: June 27, 2019 03:42

GasLightStreet
IanBillen
GasLightStreet
IanBillen
Stoneage

- Mick Jagger, 1982

- Mick Jagger, 1981

[timeisonourside.com]

The only point is that the bottoms ie live band tracks were done. They didn't record new bottoms.

Yas .. the bottoms were done and used. Bass .. drums .. lots of guitars ... were there and that base was simply added to.

Added in were lots of vox .. keys .. minor percussion .. and the odd guitar parts.

>> and then ......... the key to it's success ....ONE HEALLLLLLLL of a mix job by Bob Clearmountain.. The EQ-ing and compression in the right frequencies was an order that was as tall as a skyscraper. However the job that was done was IMO of the very best in the history of music. Tattoo You came out sounding not only like a top notch production (though a bit tin can like) ...but fresh .. and as cohesive as can be .. with two separate halves that was two sides of the Tattoo You coin.

That was a one time deal. Perhaps a bit of that process could be used here in their new album .. but I think they more or less rehashed the writing and re-recorded what they have (as per Ronnie's blurbs).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-27 04:20 by IanBillen.

Date: June 27, 2019 16:08

GasLightStreet
There are plenty of wonky songs left off that they fortunately didn't finish, like the Kenny Loggins Danger Zone wannabe song Honest Man.

eye popping smiley... but... but... but Honest Man is the very best of all not-finsihed VL-tracks.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 27, 2019 16:16

Yeah, Honest man is a Great song. Love it
Jeroen

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 27, 2019 19:53

Please BV, close this thread.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...348349350351352353354355356357358...LastNext
Current Page: 353 of 704

This Thread has been closed