Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...351352353354355356357358359360361...LastNext
Current Page: 356 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 3, 2019 18:48

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
Ian Billen
It was reported here they have 20 songs done .. Was says none are done ..

Twenty songs done?!!! No way.

Gotta go with Don Was on this one, along with georgelicks and his inside sources...

"according to some sources the album is about 50/60% done, at least the 18-20 songs the band is working on/off during the last 3+ years"

Who said those 20 songs were done?

What we know now is that 20 a bit more than half-baked songs were recorded and that they recorded 5 more in February (unless I missed some?).

Good question - I don't recall ever reading here (or anywhere for that matter) that they had twenty songs "done", but evidently Ian seems to believe so.
Maybe Ian could tell us more?

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: July 3, 2019 18:55

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
Ian Billen
It was reported here they have 20 songs done .. Was says none are done ..

Twenty songs done?!!! No way.

Gotta go with Don Was on this one, along with georgelicks and his inside sources...

"according to some sources the album is about 50/60% done, at least the 18-20 songs the band is working on/off during the last 3+ years"

What we know now is that 20 a bit more than half-baked songs were recorded and that they recorded 5 more in February (unless I missed some?).

It was reported here they have just over 20 songs recorded with several of those songs having many different mixes (5-6). Some songs from the lot have two mixes which includes a Mick Jagger favored mix .. and one with a Keith preference mix to choose from.

Who reported this and when I cannot remember but it was def here? Was bout three months ago right here on this board (and I think right from this post) and it came from a pretty reliable source. Several of us discussed it here at the time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-03 18:58 by IanBillen.

Date: July 3, 2019 19:00

Yes Ian - pretty sure that was georgelicks who reported that, but that was before he said:

Evidently they weren't happy with any of the mixes (or couldn't agree on any of them), and decided to go back and work some more....probably on something different.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 3, 2019 19:04

DandelionPowderman

In a May interview with John Bungey of The Times, Don Was said at least 20 new songs have been recorded. No mention of them being done.

[iorr.org]

Date: July 3, 2019 19:16

For what it's worth, here's the post from georgelicks from way back in February that Ian might be referring to:

georgelicks
Sadly this thread is full of posts with endless speculations and count of years, months and days without a new album, over and over, one day after another... one thing is sure, the Stones are not even 10% worried about the new album like most people around here, and increasing this thread 3-4 pages each day won't get the thing done faster.

The people at Universal are not even asking about the new album anymore, they know that the Stones are working on it and no one is expecting anything during the next 6-8 months at least, the expectations were high earlier last year but the band was not happy with the results so they are working on it again and they'll work again after the tour.

For some reason the Stones are not dropping any new song during this time, they have over 20 new ones, I've been told about 2 new songs recorded first on 2015 with now 5 different versions at least, each version mixed and ready to release. They are holding the stuff and working on different versions of each new song, we have Mick mixes and Keith mixes of many of the new tunes.

And from March:

georgelicks

There's nothing new to report and there won't be nothing new to report in months, they are still working on the album and they'll keep working on it until its done, you can ask the same question tomorrow or in 4 months and the answer will be the same.

The band has sessions booked after the tour, late August or September, that's the word on Universal, they'll keep working on it with no deadline in sight.

And from six weeks ago:

georgelicks
There's nothing new to report when the album won't be released until 2020 at least, according to some sources the album is about 50/60% done, at least the 18-20 songs the band is working on/off during the last 3+ years, they want to keep working on it until its done right.

Date: July 3, 2019 19:53

Hairball
For what it's worth, here's the post from georgelicks from way back in February that Ian might be referring to:

georgelicks
Sadly this thread is full of posts with endless speculations and count of years, months and days without a new album, over and over, one day after another... one thing is sure, the Stones are not even 10% worried about the new album like most people around here, and increasing this thread 3-4 pages each day won't get the thing done faster.

The people at Universal are not even asking about the new album anymore, they know that the Stones are working on it and no one is expecting anything during the next 6-8 months at least, the expectations were high earlier last year but the band was not happy with the results so they are working on it again and they'll work again after the tour.

For some reason the Stones are not dropping any new song during this time, they have over 20 new ones, I've been told about 2 new songs recorded first on 2015 with now 5 different versions at least, each version mixed and ready to release. They are holding the stuff and working on different versions of each new song, we have Mick mixes and Keith mixes of many of the new tunes.

And from March:

georgelicks

There's nothing new to report and there won't be nothing new to report in months, they are still working on the album and they'll keep working on it until its done, you can ask the same question tomorrow or in 4 months and the answer will be the same.

The band has sessions booked after the tour, late August or September, that's the word on Universal, they'll keep working on it with no deadline in sight.

And from six weeks ago:

georgelicks
There's nothing new to report when the album won't be released until 2020 at least, according to some sources the album is about 50/60% done, at least the 18-20 songs the band is working on/off during the last 3+ years, they want to keep working on it until its done right.

Howdy Mr. Hairball ... Right .. thank you. So they have plenty worked on .. and from what we know 20 new ones .. (not saying all are done bc it doesn't state that or elude to it). However it does say they have a few all complete and ready and it eludes to the fact that much work has been done done. I think 3/4 of the songs are there ... I really do. I simply think it will be a polishing up and overdub type of thing in The Fall. Who knows ..maybe even a new tune or two to be recorded.

My feeling is the album is 70-80% recorded already. However there is mixing (and mastering). So the album is plenty worked on at this point with lots there .. and approaching the home stretch is to start the fall is what I think .. IMO the entire base of the album and a little more is there and done.

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-03 19:55 by IanBillen.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 3, 2019 20:15

Despite the wishful thinking here and a few vague references from Keith and Mick I don't have any belief they are anywhere near to finishing this album, and if they are I have no faith it will be any good. The general rule of thumb is that the longer an album takes the worse it is. So that standard we are not likely to get a great album.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-03 20:45 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: July 3, 2019 20:50

I always think s*#t should have an 'e' to make it
even more sh*#te...maybe its a British thing?

and ...I'm expecting Exile 2!! a tripple lp - one each from Keef an mick and one joint effort

(I'm now being sedated and put back in my straight jacket)

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 3, 2019 20:51

TornAndFried
Despite the wishful thinking here and a few vague references from Keith and Mick I don't have any belief they are anywhere near to finishing this album, and if they are I have no faith it will be any good. The general rule of thumb is that the longer an album takes the worse it is. So that standard we are not likely to get a great album.

The Stones will be the exception to that rule.
15 years of waiting is really excessive...but in the end it will be a great album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-03 20:55 by KRiffhard.

Date: July 3, 2019 20:55

ukcal
I always think s*#t should have an 'e' to make it
even more sh*#te...maybe its a British thing?

and ...I'm expecting Exile 2!! a tripple lp - one each from Keef an mick and one joint effort

(I'm now being sedated and put back in my straight jacket)

The "joint effort" should include a disc selected and mixed by members from this forum who could put surely together a better album than Don "Yes, Mick" Was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-03 22:02 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 3, 2019 21:31

For what it's worth, allegedly the 4 or 5 songs Keith talked about the band cutting earlier this year were what you might call Jagger-Richards versions of some of the Jagger-Clifford demos that have been worked on for the new album over the last few years.

If the source is to be believed, Mick's position has been that Keith has always been welcome to take Mick's demos and re-shape them instead of simply treating them as "you overdub Stones-sounding guitar part here" and nothing else.

Why it would take thirty years for Keith to say, "I resent having you turn up with finished songs that give me little or no creative input" and for Mick to respond, "You're always welcome to take them in a different direction, you just never ask" is another matter.

I did ask how many of these 20-odd songs started with Keith as opposed to Mick and was given the rather odd response of "a couple three."

As always I look to mpj200 or Soldatti or another IORRian with a direct connected source to weigh in to confirm or refute.

In the meantime, fingers crossed I finally hear "Sick of Myself" after all these years of waiting.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 3, 2019 21:45

KRiffhard
...but in the end it will be a great album.

Experience tells "No"--- they haven´t released a "great album" since... since... since who-knows-when. Looking at their post-DW-output keeps my excitement-level very low. One thing I am sure of - they are going to beat Axel Rose whose "Chinese-what-ever"-album took some 10 years in the making.

Btw, "50/60% finished" is different from "it only needs to be mixed." I think they are far from having anything that needs only to be mixed.

Date: July 3, 2019 23:02

HMS
KRiffhard

Experience tells "No"--- they haven´t released a "great album" since... since... since who-knows-when. Looking at their post-DW-output keeps my excitement-level very low. One thing I am sure of - they are going to beat Axel Rose whose "Chinese-what-ever"-album took some 10 years in the making.

Btw, "50/60% finished" is different from "it only needs to be mixed." I think they are far from having anything that needs only to be mixed.

what stinks is axl recorded enough material to release several albums after touring. supposedly he turned in more material to Geffen and they instead wanted a reunion with slash and that's what we got. there are at least 7 other known songs that are done. that's probably , along with other material, what was turned in to Geffen about 5 years ago

Date: July 3, 2019 23:11

keefriffhard4life
HMS
KRiffhard

what stinks is axl recorded enough material to release several albums after touring. supposedly he turned in more material to Geffen and they instead wanted a reunion with slash and that's what we got. there are at least 7 other known songs that are done. that's probably , along with other material, what was turned in to Geffen about 5 years ago

If we are lucky the remainder of Axl Rose's songs will never be released. If we are REALLY lucky they were incinerated along with the other Geffen masters in the infamous UMG vault fire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-03 23:12 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 3, 2019 23:23

HMS
KRiffhard

As I remember it, it was reported here some time ago that "in case anything serious happens to the band" Don Was would be able to complete an album on his own - without further input by the band. That would indicate that there's at least an album's worth of material that only needs to be mixed, give or take a minor overdub here and there.

However, information on the progress is sparse to say the least, even to inside sources. From what I have heard there's still the educated guess that they're actually hoarding as much material as possible (even finishing older outtakes) for the time when their touring days are finally over. Their "swansong", so to speak, or better: a series of swansongs for years to come.

It doesn't look like they are working on these recordings with the old "album out - touring behind it"-concept.

Date: July 3, 2019 23:28

TornAndFried
keefriffhard4life
HMS
KRiffhard

If we are lucky the remainder of Axl Rose's songs will never be released. If we are REALLY lucky they were incinerated along with the other Geffen masters in the infamous UMG vault fire.

heck naw. I loved Chinese democracy

Date: July 4, 2019 00:02

keefriffhard4life
TornAndFried
keefriffhard4life
HMS
KRiffhard

what stinks is Axl recorded enough material to release several albums after touring. supposedly he turned in more material to Geffen and they instead wanted a reunion with slash and that's what we got. there are at least 7 other known songs that are done. that's probably , along with other material, what was turned in to Geffen about 5 years ago

heck naw. I loved Chinese democracy

To each his own but Chinese Democracy was essentially an Axl Rose solo album. It only carried the "Guns and Roses" name for marketing purposes.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 4, 2019 00:09

A new album for what ?
They tour without one for years...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 4, 2019 00:33

GasLightStreet
wonderboy
They could do it Tattoo You Style -- give Mick and a good engineer a month in a studio and they could turn what they have into a good album.

TATTOO YOU took a bit longer than a month.

I do think that if the material is as far advanced as we've been led to believe, then they are very close to finishing. Even if not, Geez, a month, a productive bad can record an album in a month if they start with demos and 'three good riffs.'
My sense is that Mick and Keith either can't agree on the song direction, or Keith is holding the album hostage because he hasn't been able to contribute the way he wants (either because he thinks Mick is stifling him or because he cognitively just can't do it anymore).
I also think -- possible Sacrilege Alert -- that 20 years from now, some talented young singer and engineer will be given the raw material and will complete some very interesting songs.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 4, 2019 00:58

wonderboy
GasLightStreet
wonderboy
They could do it Tattoo You Style -- give Mick and a good engineer a month in a studio and they could turn what they have into a good album.

I do think that if the material is as far advanced as we've been led to believe, then they are very close to finishing. Even if not, Geez, a month, a productive bad can record an album in a month if they start with demos and 'three good riffs.'
My sense is that Mick and Keith either can't agree on the song direction, or Keith is holding the album hostage because he hasn't been able to contribute the way he wants (either because he thinks Mick is stifling him or because he cognitively just can't do it anymore).
I also think -- possible Sacrilege Alert -- that 20 years from now, some talented young singer and engineer will be given the raw material and will complete some very interesting songs.

BLUE AND LONESOME proved your scenario to be a bit shallow. Of course, Keith is a bit older now, it was recorded at the end of 2015, and even less of a guitar player. However, that doesn't mean a whole lot, either.

Ha ha. Time will tell.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 4, 2019 01:10

GasLightStreet

BLUE AND LONESOME proved your scenario to be a bit shallow. Of course, Keith is a bit older now, it was recorded at the end of 2015, and even less of a guitar player. However, that doesn't mean a whole lot, either.

Ha ha. Time will tell.

Keith could play those blues guitar parts in his sleep. Being a creative songwriter is much more challenging, and four years is a long time for a man in his 70s now. I love Keith, but Mick is the one who can get this album finished.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 4, 2019 01:36

wonderboy
GasLightStreet
wonderboy

20 years from now you'll get releases I'm sure...Whitney Houston had a release the other day...Higher Love...a Winwood cover and its very vry good.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: July 4, 2019 01:51

wonderboy
GasLightStreet

Ha ha. Time will tell.

Keith could play those blues guitar parts in his sleep. Being a creative songwriter is much more challenging, and four years is a long time for a man in his 70s now. I love Keith, but Mick is the one who can get this album finished.

eye rolling smiley
Honestly what a load of rubbish, I've been listening to Crosseyed Heart again in the car lately, Keith in his 70's at the time of it's release, Keith clearly at the top of his game, and i tell you CH just gets better. How far back have we got to go to see a great album from Mick ?

Date: July 4, 2019 02:01

powerage78
A new album for what ?
They tour without one for years...

Indeed, and that's exactly what they'll continue to do.
It's been said several times that a new album is the furthest thing from their minds (as if 15 years without one doesn't make that clear).
Their bread and butter is touring as it is with most bands these days. They can talk about it all the want - "working on it, sounds great", but until the day comes when they actually release anything I have my doubts.
Twenty songs here, five songs there, multiple mixes of a few of them here and there, and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. That said, I'll be amongst the first in line to purchase and celebrate, but certainly not holding my breath.

Looking forward to following the current tour (and seeing a few more), because they won't be working on the new album again until the end of the year - half a year from now, and chances are they might have a change of heart with some of the material that's already been worked on...maybe a few more remixes can solve the problems...and hope and pray they stay away from any more damn walls or they might just release another HONK!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 4, 2019 02:07

wonderboy
GasLightStreet

Ha ha. Time will tell.

You're right. My point was, I agree with you. Even with Keith being able to play those songs in his sleep, it was Ronnie that did most of the work. So maybe 10 years ago Keith could've been that busy doing what Ronnie did.

Originals, well, there's lots of room there for whatever - it's just a matter of getting it done at this point. Time is not on their side anymore and if doing a new album is as important to Mick as he makes it sound, well, reality is... it doesn't appear to be that important.

Undoubtedly this will be, if it gets finished, their last album, unless they do enough for another one. But that's beyond the point.

As it is, outside of iorr.org, a majority of people have no idea that they haven't done a new album, which leads to when one indeed comes out, they recorded a new album? Why? All they remember is Start Me Up or Waiting On A Friend (unless they have JUMP BACK).

VL, BTB and ABB sold well. But those days are gone. B&L "sold well".

That era is over.

The Stones emerged as a singles band, then became an album band, and it's gone back to singles... but not in the way that it started. They're bookending the whole music format medium.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 4, 2019 02:18

So, consensus here is that Tattoo You is their best compilation ever and that Dirty Work was their last great studio effort? Or have I misunderstood something?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 4, 2019 02:25

I get the feeling that this talk about "we're working on a new album" is a mantra to keep the kettle boiling or to have something to show for in interviews. More so than anything else.

Date: July 4, 2019 04:21

Stoneage
I get the feeling that this talk about "we're working on a new album" is a mantra to keep the kettle boiling or to have something to show for in interviews. More so than anything else.

Lol .. really? The Rolling Stones hardly need to talk about a new album just to get an interview yo. In case you missed it .. they are arguably the biggest Rock Stars on the planet. Kina been that way for a while. Not to mention they are pretty vague about it but all that is besides this crazy notion. They sell out stadiums .. they make the cover of magazines and get publicized on major websites .. etc. They do 'not' need to mention blurbs about an album in order to get interviews or for folks to read (/see) or to have something to show in their interviews. Come on now folks.. lets give em SOME credit Lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-04 04:23 by IanBillen.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 4, 2019 07:20

retired_dog
HMS
KRiffhard

As I remember it, it was reported here some time ago that "in case anything serious happens to the band" Don Was would be able to complete an album on his own - without further input by the band. That would indicate that there's at least an album's worth of material that only needs to be mixed, give or take a minor overdub here and there.

However, information on the progress is sparse to say the least, even to inside sources. From what I have heard there's still the educated guess that they're actually hoarding as much material as possible (even finishing older outtakes) for the time when their touring days are finally over. Their "swansong", so to speak, or better: a series of swansongs for years to come.

It doesn't look like they are working on these recordings with the old "album out - touring behind it"-concept.

A sort of 'buildup' of new songs for the future?
They could tell us...so BV can change the subject of this thread: "New songs in the indeterminate future"!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-04 07:24 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: July 4, 2019 07:35

Don Was was in Australia recently and said ‘not one track is finished yet’ for the new album

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...351352353354355356357358359360361...LastNext
Current Page: 356 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2134
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home