Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...350351352353354355356357358359360...LastNext
Current Page: 355 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 2, 2019 00:42

... and more importantly, what about Keith's three dynamire riffs? winking smiley

Seriously now: it's hard to believe these five songs are the only songs they came up with over the past couple of years and all those earlier sessions were spent watching cricket matches.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 2, 2019 01:10

Who said that the "at least five songs recorded" are finished?
Maybe they are only another part of the "50-60%-finished" songs. And, as reliable the Washington Post might be, how reliable is Keith? "We recorded songs", "We are cutting songs" etc. is what we hear for many years now.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: July 2, 2019 02:26

doitywoik
... and more importantly, what about Keith's three dynamire riffs? winking smiley

Seriously now: it's hard to believe these five songs are the only songs they came up with over the past couple of years and all those earlier sessions were spent watching cricket matches.

I'm with you .. I'm quite sure they have more than five recorded. February was one session or group of sessions out of several. My guess is they have at least 20 songs .. (as well it has been reported).

In my strong opinion as it is yours those five recorded songs in February were simply additions to what they already had finished or in place. Remember .. they have been working on this thing in short segments for like .. three or four years, folks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-02 02:28 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 2, 2019 05:25

IanBillen
doitywoik

I'm with you .. I'm quite sure they have more than five recorded. February was one session or group of sessions out of several. My guess is they have at least 20 songs .. (as well it has been reported).

In my strong opinion as it is yours those five recorded songs in February were simply additions to what they already had finished or in place. Remember .. they have been working on this thing in short segments for like .. three or four years, folks.

Yet all of these so called "songs" are only 50-60% completed with much more work to be done with them.
They could have a thousand songs they've recorded, but if they're only 50-60% completed what does it matter?
Maybe if they just had one tune 100% completed and released we would have something to listen to and talk about, but they don't so we can't.
Still a very looooong time to go before any of that happens, and for now all the talk about a new album is still a bunch of hot air.
HONK is out for the fans, and the No Filter tour is all that's on their minds for quite some time. Then there's rest, relaxation, vacation time, and family time.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 2, 2019 05:30

Hairball
IanBillen
doitywoik

Yet all of these so called "songs" are only 50-60% completed with much more work to be done with them.
They could have a thousand songs they've recorded, but if they're only 50-60% completed what does it matter?
Maybe if they just had one tune 100% completed and released we would have something to listen to and talk about, but they don't so we can't.
Still a very looooong time to go before any of that happens, and for now all the talk about a new album is still a bunch of hot air.
HONK is out for the fans, and the No Filter tour is all that's on their minds for quite some time. Then there's rest, relaxation, vacation time, and family time.

You left out the wall they hit for one day. ONE DAY. Yet some people still go on about it like it's a coconut tree.

Don Was saying 50-60% means... that's a bit vague, really.

Date: July 2, 2019 05:37

GasLightStreet
Hairball
IanBillen
doitywoik

You left out the wall they hit for one day. ONE DAY. Yet some people still go on about it like it's a coconut tree.

Don Was saying 50-60% means... that's a bit vague, really.

Can't forget the wall...detoured them down a road called Blue and Lonesome for better or worse.
The "50-60%" reference was from georgelicks.

Date: July 2, 2019 05:57

True. But. It came from somewhere.

Regardless, 50-60% could mean this one needs backing vox, that one needs... if you go by what Charlie has said, the bottoms are there, it's the rest of the people that haven't done their job!

So, like with TATTOO YOU, it's up to the string and vocal section to complete the album.

Date: July 2, 2019 06:07

Found the quote, from May 20th:

georgelicks
There's nothing new to report when the album won't be released until 2020 at least, according to some sources the album is about 50/60% done, at least the 18-20 songs the band is working on/off during the last 3+ years, they want to keep working on it until its done right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-02 06:15 by Hairball.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 2, 2019 10:25

Hairball
Found the quote, from May 20th:

georgelicks
There's nothing new to report when the album won't be released until 2020 at least, according to some sources the album is about 50/60% done, at least the 18-20 songs the band is working on/off during the last 3+ years, they want to keep working on it until its done right.

...is "about 50/60% done" since 3 years.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 2, 2019 16:24

The songs are "done" about 50/60% since three years, that´s fine - So we only have to wait another five yearssmiling bouncing smiley

Date: July 2, 2019 18:16

HMS
The songs are "done" about 50/60% since three years, that´s fine - So we only have to wait another five yearssmiling bouncing smiley

In 5 years the new album will be still in the "early stages"!!
[www.loudersound.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-02 18:18 by KRiffhard.

Date: July 2, 2019 19:11

KRiffhard
HMS

In 5 years the new album will be still in the "early stages"!!
[www.loudersound.com]

And Keith will be quoted again as saying "working on it, sounds great",
while Charlie will continue to say "where's the new album"?!!!

Meanwhile, the thread will hit 5,000 pages, the Stones will have completed three more tours,
and released two more greatest hit's compilations...not to mention a live No Filter cd/dvd combo pt. I and II.

Date: July 2, 2019 20:29

Hairball
IanBillen
doitywoik

Well .... possibly many of them just need mixed ... which normally comes after all the recordings but as I have heard on here they already have worked up many
different mixes on several songs.

It was reported here they have 20 songs done .. Was says none are done .. (I think he is spinning that).

They ARE The Rolling Stones .. they HAVE been working on it in bits and stints over ...what going on four years. I am quite certain they have some songs completed for this record ... and a load of material. Sure.. it's not finished but .. it's far from five songs at 50-60% done over going over four years.

ANY act would have more than that at this point ....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-02 20:30 by IanBillen.

Date: July 2, 2019 20:39

Ian Billen
It was reported here they have 20 songs done .. Was says none are done ..

Twenty songs done?!!! No way.

Gotta go with Don Was on this one, along with georgelicks and his inside sources...

"according to some sources the album is about 50/60% done, at least the 18-20 songs the band is working on/off during the last 3+ years"

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 2, 2019 21:29

So on June 21st, we were supposed to get some sort of news about new music....

June 21st came and went and still.............crickets.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 2, 2019 21:37

jagger for all we know had 120 rough demos. They like 20 and are working on those. Keith I’m sure has a few of his own. I’m sure the 20 tracks they’re focusing on have potential. No one knows but we will be the judge hopefully some day

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 2, 2019 22:03

VoodooLounge13

No,,you did not pay attention.
Be like tiger,like an eagle. Listen and use your eyes.
Stay focused.
Jeroen

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: July 3, 2019 00:07

Hahahaha!! Great comment! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-03 00:08 by GJV.

Date: July 3, 2019 01:13

VoodooLounge13

Nothing but crickets...there was a slim hope of a new tune being played live (hence the June 21st remark), but clearly they have nothing prepared or anything close to being finished.
All we have in recent weeks is a few generic quotes from Keith and some blurbs in interviews/articles, and the sound of crickets...eye rolling smiley...and we have to deal with it!
On the bright side, there's a GREAT tour happening to help ease the pain of no new album, so enjoy it while we can! thumbs up
After the tour is over, back to the waiting game...15 years and counting...

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 3, 2019 02:29

Hairball, HMS, GasLight and others certainly have a point wondering to what degree all those songs are finished - finished in the sense that they could go to the pressing plant right now.

My guess is that for many if not most songs the basic structure stands (and maybe even more than that) but Mick hasn't finalized yet the vocals, they're not happy yet with some solo, or wondering it there should be horns on some song, or there are 23 competing mixes, and so on. So possibly some songs are still in their raw phases, sounding like the Paris songs, others are certainly more fully worked out and maybe just need another guitar overdub, or different background vocals or so, and with yet others only the final mix has to be decided upon.

IanBillen
Remember .. they have been working on this thing in short segments for like .. three or four years, folks.

OK, let me try to reconstruct the course of events. winking smiley

(a few years back) Keith: Hey, I've got a cool chord here, G! Let's work on that a bit!

(half a year later) Mick: Keith, we've got three songs here that only have G! Why not throw in a C for a change?
Keith: "Great, man! But then let's go back to G!

(one year later) Mick: Now we've got this couple of songs with just a G and some C, maybe we should think about the middle eight?

--- From here on, there are two scenarios.

Scenario A: One hit (or more) to the brick wall ...

Scenario B (several years later): Mick and/or Keith: Hey Chuck, got an idea for a bridge or middle eight? And Ronnie, you may add some hand claps ...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 3, 2019 02:58

I remember The Moody Blues last studio album was in 1999. They were still touring in 2018 By those standards The Stones are quick (not really)

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 3, 2019 04:21

They could do it Tattoo You Style -- give Mick and a good engineer a month in a studio and they could turn what they have into a good album.

Date: July 3, 2019 04:34

More Hot Rocks
I remember The Moody Blues last studio album was in 1999. They were still touring in 2018 By those standards The Stones are quick (not really)

they released an album in 2003. they really werent trying to make anymore new music.

the 2 main members have both done solo albums since 2010 and that looks to be their focus

Date: July 3, 2019 06:16

wonderboy
They could do it Tattoo You Style -- give Mick and a good engineer a month in a studio and they could turn what they have into a good album.

TATTOO YOU took a bit longer than a month.

Date: July 3, 2019 09:18

Hairball
Ian Billen

Gotta go with Don Was on this one, along with georgelicks and his inside sources...

"according to some sources the album is about 50/60% done, at least the 18-20 songs the band is working on/off during the last 3+ years"

Even if none are 100% completed .. I'm sure there are several that need little work. I was in the studio tonight with a three piece act that did two complete songs in three hours flat.

Sure.. the songs may get an over dub or two but they are basically all recorded. The Stones have spent ample time (collectively) over three and a half years to have a good load material plenty worked on, recorded .. and who knows what more.

Mr. Hairball ... I know you feel they have far more at least plenty 'worked on' by now ...but my perception is that some here actually feel they only have 5-6 songs 1/2 way done at this point?

>>If The Stones were to only have 5-6 songs at 50-60% finished in over three and a half years then they might as well be (and very well could be) labeled and categorized as the slowest working act (studio wise) in all of recorded music history. Look I .. seriously ...seriously.. doubt this is the case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-03 09:20 by IanBillen.

Date: July 3, 2019 10:40

Hairball
Ian Billen

Who said those 20 songs were done?

What we know now is that 20 a bit more than half-baked songs were recorded and that they recorded 5 more in February (unless I missed some?).

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 3, 2019 11:26

Bjornulf,please change the thread title in 2020/2021. So we can stop this chitterchatter about an album which wont be an album.
Jeroen

Date: July 3, 2019 14:03

"Half an album" in 2016
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

"5 new songs" in 2019

confused smiley

Date: July 3, 2019 14:28

KRiffhard
"Half an album" in 2016
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

"5 new songs" in 2019

confused smiley

Or, as others have put it, 18-20 songs (2016-2018) and 5 songs (February 2019) smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-03 14:28 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 3, 2019 18:45

edit: double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-03 18:50 by Hairball.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...350351352353354355356357358359360...LastNext
Current Page: 355 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1501
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home