Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...347348349350351352353354355356357...LastNext
Current Page: 352 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 25, 2019 18:29

So Tattoo You is a stew made of seasoned leftovers from the seventies? But some very tasty leftovers put together by a master chef.
I wouldn't mind if they came up with a stew like that again...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 25, 2019 18:34

GasLightStreet
What rules? Troglodyte rules? Fake rules.
There are no rules.

you seem to be an anarchist.

Give it a break. You been proved to be wrong all over regarding TY, so why continue? Put the album in the compilaton-section where it belongs and stop bullying

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 25, 2019 18:38

Stoneage
So Tattoo You is a stew made of seasoned leftovers from the seventies? But some very tasty leftovers put together by a master chef.

Yep. Think if Neighbours, Hang Fire, Heaven and No Use In Crying had been completed for EMOTIONAL RESCUE because that's what they were recorded for. Well, Hang Fire was started for SOME GIRLS and finished up for ER.

It's not that they'd be going back to 1994, it's that they'd be going back just 3 albums (excluding BLUE AND LONESOME). They went back 5 albums for TY. I can't speak for any leftovers from BRIDGES or BANG but some of the leftovers from VOODOO are, musically, incredibly good. Mind bogglingly good, especially when compared to what made the LP.

Date: June 25, 2019 18:40

HMS
GasLightStreet
What rules? Troglodyte rules? Fake rules.
There are no rules.

you seem to be an anarchist.

Give it a break. You been proved to be wrong all over regarding TY, so why continue? Put the album in the compilaton-section where it belongs and stop bullying

Eh, in troglodyte land.

You don't seem to be a narcissist.

Date: June 25, 2019 18:41

GasLightStreet
TATTOO YOU is where they were at in 1981.

then they sadly were at a point where they had to raise dead bodies to get an album out.

Date: June 25, 2019 18:55

GasLightStreet
It's not that they'd be going back to 1994, it's that they'd be going back just 3 albums (excluding BLUE AND LONESOME). They went back 5 albums for TY. I can't speak for any leftovers from BRIDGES or BANG but some of the leftovers from VOODOO are, musically, incredibly good. Mind bogglingly good, especially when compared to what made the LP.

For the sake of their artistical credibility they won´t.
Especiall not nowadays with most of their outtakes and leftovers bootlegged and via internet spread all over the world. If they would go back to leftovers known to most fans they might as well declare themselves as artistically totally bankrupt.

let alone what a hard job it would be to find something useable from the VL-period

Date: June 25, 2019 18:59

HMS
GasLightStreet

For the sake of their artistical credibility they won´t.
Especiall not nowadays with most of their outtakes and leftovers bootlegged and via internet spread all over the world. If they would go back to leftovers known to most fans they might as well declare themselves as artistically totally bankrupt.

let alone what a hard job it would be to find something useable from the VL-period

You sound like a pro-plaguer.

Artistic credibility?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Date: June 25, 2019 19:38

Honestly, what would another album of reheated leftovers like TY be good for? What should they say in excuse? "We tried to write new songs for years and years but we failed so we decided to rework songs we once thought of as not good enough to be released/completed."

Why not an album of re-recordings of their greatest Hits backed by a 100-piece-orchestra - The Symphonic Rolling Stones? Isn´t that what oldie-bands usually do when they are totally out of ideas?

Me, I dont want to see the Stones end this way... dont want to see them loose their dignity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-25 19:39 by HMS.

Date: June 25, 2019 19:42

GasLightStreet
Artistic credibility?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What do you mean?
Do you mean the Stones have no artistic credibility (anymore)?

Date: June 25, 2019 19:52

HMS
Honestly, what would another album of reheated leftovers like TY be good for? What should they say in excuse? "We tried to write new songs for years and years but we failed so we decided to rework songs we once thought of as not good enough to be released/completed."

Why not an album of re-recordings of their greatest Hits backed by a 100-piece-orchestra - The Symphonic Rolling Stones? Isn´t that what oldie-bands usually do when they are totally out of ideas?

Me, I dont want to see the Stones end this way... dont want to see them loose their dignity.

Their dignity was set loose a long time ago.

Date: June 25, 2019 19:59

GasLightStreet

eye rolling smiley

Date: June 25, 2019 20:01

HMS
GasLightStreet

eye rolling smiley

That's what you said.

Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 25, 2019 20:49

What about the new álbum???

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: June 25, 2019 20:53

How about those Dodgers!!??…..

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: June 25, 2019 22:39

KeithNacho
What about the new álbum???

Sorry, if that's adouble/tripple post...

Ronnie interview, talking about (Stones) music:

... it’s like a medicine. We don’t like to stop working. All being well, there’ll be a new album and a new tour. [ … ] It will be great — but let’s get this one over with first.

=> The SUN / foxnews.com

Date: June 25, 2019 22:41

iraq0708

You're dodging the topic...

Date: June 25, 2019 22:51

DandelionPowderman
iraq0708

You're dodging the topic...

No sleep till Brooklyn.

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: June 25, 2019 22:54

And... now Im hungry for a Dodger dog. Best hotdogs anywhere.
Not to go off topic or anything

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: June 25, 2019 23:57

Stoneage

Let me be clear about Tattoo You .. and tame down some perception that isn't factual.

The songs were polished up .. and two new songs were added from scratch. Tattoo You was not 100% from previous work.. and the songs (many) were def not completed. Some had no vocals .. no lyrics written ... others were simply rough takes in which they overdubbed instruments and new vocals etc.

The songs were not ready .. new overdubs were added .. fantastic mix jobs were performed one brand new song (Heaven) and one other (Neighbors) was recorded 'basically' from scratch during these sessions. That is the reality of how Tattoo You came to be. It was not a compilation album. Compilation albums are songs released from previous works or songs that were at the very least finished from other eras. Tattoo You's songs were neither. It was not a compilation and it def took some studio work.

Sure.. TY basis (80%) was from past albums etc... but it isn't like they never hit the studio for the album. It needed plenty of work from an engineering standpoint and plenty of new overdubs (mainly from Mick) to have the songs ready for the album not to mention two songs were recorded from scratch. A compilation is a collection of songs that are released on previous albums ... or at the very least finished (this was def not the case with TY) .. Sure.. the basis was there for Tattoo You ...but TY's songs were def not complete. It was not a 'compilation' album ..

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-26 00:10 by IanBillen.

Date: June 26, 2019 00:16

Heaven and Neighbours were recorded during the ER-sessions. How much overdubbing Mick, Bill and Kimsey (!) did later on Heaven remains unknown, though.

Date: June 26, 2019 00:47

Okey, thanks. But were there any TY sessions at all? Was it just a cut and paste job by Jagger and Kimsey?

Date: June 26, 2019 01:21

Stoneage
Okey, thanks. But were there any TY sessions at all? Was it just a cut and paste job by Jagger and Kimsey?

Mick did vocals. Rollins did sax. And most likely Mick (vocals, guitar), Kimsey (keyboards) and Bill (bass) did overdubs on Heaven. I don't think the rest of the band were involved.

Date: June 26, 2019 01:26

IanBillen
Stoneage

Let me be clear about Tattoo You .. and tame down some perception that isn't factual.

The songs were polished up .. and two new songs were added from scratch. Tattoo You was not 100% from previous work.

There is nothing published anywhere to suggest anything new was recorded ie the band; it's all leftover tracks. Heaven and Neighbours were recorded for EMOTIONAL RESCUE but weren't finished until 1981 from all accounts.

Mick: Tattoo You is actually an old record. It's all a lot of old tracks that I dug out. And it was very strange circumstances. Chris Kimsey and I went though all the tracks from those two previous records. It wasn't all outtakes; some of it was old songs. And then I went back and found previous ones like Waiting on a Friend, from Goats Head Soup. They're all from different periods.

Well, you know, I don't think there's anything bad in using stuff (from) previous sessions. We recorded 20, 25 tracks and if you go on and if I say to everyone, Well... the first tracks to be finished are the ones that are gonna be on the album - if a track's not finished or if people have got doubts about it, then we'll save it, we'll recut it, throw it out the window, or put it on a future album.
- Mick Jagger, 1982

It's just that those songs didn't seem to fit on any album until now. We tried to use them before but they didn't seem to work. They're good songs though. But you know every album has a lot of oldies on it, and has done for years. We've used, like, Sweet Virginia which was on Exile On Main Street. That was recorded from before Beggars Banquet (sic).
- Mick Jagger, 1981

[timeisonourside.com]

Date: June 26, 2019 01:27

Thanks, Dandy. Do you mean for the whole album? What was Keith, Ron and Charlie doing then? Why didn't they take part?

Date: June 26, 2019 01:28

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Mick did vocals. Rollins did sax. And most likely Mick (vocals, guitar), Kimsey (keyboards) and Bill (bass) did overdubs on Heaven. I don't think the rest of the band were involved.

Strictly overdubbing sessions. Chris Kimsey pulled a group of songs together, there were others, and from what can be understood, what was on TY is what was done.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: June 26, 2019 01:31

Stoneage

Not really. Only two blocs of "sessions" between the releases of Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You: Oct-Dec 1980 and Apr-Jun 1981. None of the songs is marked with a "I" (meaning they had never been worked on before), so it looks like there were no sessions at all in which the first versions of songs that appeared on TY were worked on after the release of ER.

(It looks like the TY songs that had the latest origins were "Heaven" and "No Use in Crying" from summer '79, before ER came out.)

801011B 11th October - 12th November & 25th November - ca. mid-December: Boulogne-Billancourt (near Paris), France, Pathé-Marconi Studios. Producers: The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey. Overdubbing, mixing and editing for the upcoming album Tattoo You (only MJ, Chris Kimsey and sporadically KR), incl.
- Black Limousine IV (MJ/KR/RW) -with finished lyrics and backing vocals
- Black Limousine V (MJ/KR/RW) -shortened version of IV, with additional guitar
- Heaven II (MJ/KR) -first version with real lyrics
- No Use In Crying V (MJ/KR/RW) -with additional piano overdub
- Slave II (MJ/KR) -first version with vocals, very long
- Tops III (MJ/KR) -using version I as backing, different lyrics
- Waiting On A Friend II (MJ/KR) -without sax
- Worried About You II (MJ/KR) -with different falsetto and backing vocals

810400C April - June: Paris, Mobile Recording Unit in some unlocated warehouse (only MJ, ca. six weeks in April & May) & New York, Atlantic Studios. Producers:
The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey. Additional musicians:
Sonny Rollins (sax on Neighbours, Slave and Waiting On A Friend); Mike Carabello (perc on Start Me Up, Slave & Waiting On A Friend), Chris Kimsey & Barry Sage (handclaps on Start Me Up), Jennifer & Susan McLean (backing vocals on Neighbours), Pete Townshend (bvoc on Slave).
- Black Limousine VI (MJ/KR/RW) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Hang Fire VII (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Heaven III (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Little T & A IV (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Neighbours IV (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
- No Use In Crying VI (MJ/KR/RW) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Slave III (MJ/KR) -different sax
- Slave IV (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Slave V (MJ/KR) -longer version IV, remastered ‘Tattoo You’-version
- Start Me Up IV (MJ/KR) -‘Tattoo You’-version
- Start Me Up V (MJ/KR) -long version (maybe intended for a 12"-single)
- Tops IV (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Waiting On A Friend III (MJ/KR) -different sax
- Waiting On A Friend IV (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Waiting On A Friend V (MJ/KR) -edited promo single-version
- Worried About You III (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version

Date: June 26, 2019 01:36

Thanks for the info, Lazarus Smith.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: June 26, 2019 01:40

Stoneage
Thanks for the info, Lazarus Smith.

Thanks to Nico Zentgraf!

Date: June 26, 2019 01:41

Stoneage
Thanks, Dandy. Do you mean for the whole album? What was Keith, Ron and Charlie doing then? Why didn't they take part?

Yep, the whole album.

Date: June 26, 2019 02:30

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Yep, the whole album.

Apparently Keith did some overdubs, I've never seen anything specific but it's most likely vocals. Bill may've done some new bass lines. Even though I've read the stuff a million times I can't recall anything about Ronnie doing any overdubbing. No need for Charlie to do anything, he was probably sitting in one of his cars.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...347348349350351352353354355356357...LastNext
Current Page: 352 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1510
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home