Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...261262263264265266267268269270271...LastNext
Current Page: 266 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: January 23, 2019 15:27

So, according to the last news...Are they in the studio right now?!eye rolling smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 23, 2019 16:44

Even if they are in the studio this doesn't necessarily mean they are working on the new album. They might as well (or also) just rehearse for the upcoming tour.

Date: January 23, 2019 16:54

doitywoik
Even if they are in the studio this doesn't necessarily mean they are working on the new album. They might as well (or also) just rehearse for the upcoming tour.

I don't think Ronnie would have said «going to the studio to record» if they were merely rehearsing. But I could be wrong smiling smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 23, 2019 17:04

doitywoik

that'll be a very early rehearsal – given that the tour starts in three month

Most likely they'll basically check what the have for a new album so far. And then they'll decide that it's isn't enough, lay down some more basic tracks etc and leave the studio for good…

Whatever happens – I guess it's unlikely that they'll release a new album for the US tour

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 23, 2019 17:31

They will be in the studio to do some recordings, not rehearsals. and no, i dont think there will be a new album before the us tour. yeah maybe before the us tour in 2034.
Jeroen

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 23, 2019 17:33

doitywoik

They don't book Don Was for a tour rehearsal.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 23, 2019 18:00

Rocky Dijon
doitywoik

They don't book Don Was for a tour rehearsal.

thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 23, 2019 18:03

doitywoik

Bands don't rehearse in RECORDING studios for a tour.

Think of this: the Stones recorded their worst album ever in a recording studio.

Based on that record, they could've used some rehearsal in a rehearsal studio before hand to understand that what they were about to record would be an embarrassment, a Bourbon street vomitorious stain, on their legacy, and should've promptly cancelled the recording sessions.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 23, 2019 18:11

IanBillen
Rocky Dijon
Pretty sure A BIGGER BANG was done at Ocean Way (formerly Western Studios) except for "Rough Justice" which was an eleventh hour addition at Village Recorder.

Rocky : Actually 'Oh No Not You Again' was an 11'th hour addition .. It was of the last or the last song to be written and recorded for the album I believe. The song was not yet recorded when they performed it at Juliard (but 85% of the album was finished up to that point according to Jagger .. he could of also been factoring mixing that had yet to take place). I always was under the impression Rough Justice was around from some of the start of that record?

Where did you read that ? If anything ONNYA is the oldest song on the record since Mick nicked the title from an old Dave Stewart song from 1996 and one would think he got the idea for that while they worked together on "Alfie" that was released in 2004 (they dug out the old "Blind Leading the Blind" for that project too).

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: January 23, 2019 18:16

gotdablouse
IanBillen
Rocky Dijon
Pretty sure A BIGGER BANG was done at Ocean Way (formerly Western Studios) except for "Rough Justice" which was an eleventh hour addition at Village Recorder.

Rocky : Actually 'Oh No Not You Again' was an 11'th hour addition .. It was of the last or the last song to be written and recorded for the album I believe. The song was not yet recorded when they performed it at Juliard (but 85% of the album was finished up to that point according to Jagger .. he could of also been factoring mixing that had yet to take place). I always was under the impression Rough Justice was around from some of the start of that record?

Where did you read that ? If anything ONNYA is the oldest song on the record since Mick nicked the title from an old Dave Stewart song from 1996 and one would think he got the idea for that while they worked together on "Alfie" that was released in 2004 (they dug out the old "Blind Leading the Blind" for that project too).

I remember seeing some footage of Mick and Keith and Charlie pummeling away at this in Mick's house, Mick trots over and stands on Charlie's riser at the end of the song - it reminded me of When The Whip Comes Down. It gave me great hope.

It turned out to be a dud. The title is no better than a song being called Like, You Know, And Stuff.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 23, 2019 18:20

Hoping they're in a studio, but not sure how mucch progress can be made in a short period as they might be a bit rusty after the long layoff.
By the time the weeks over, might be just enough time to get their guitars properly tuned.

Looking forward to a photo, a new quote, and/or a twitter clip of them in L.A.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-23 18:26 by Hairball.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 23, 2019 18:24

doitywoik

They are not in the studio 'rehearsing' for a new tour. Bands don't go to recording studios such as this to rehearse .. they go to record or mix. As well .. it's January .. they would never start tour rehearsals in January for a tour that is scheduled for late April.

As well Keith said they are going there to record the stuff he and Mick worked on ...

Date: January 23, 2019 18:34

gotdablouse
IanBillen
Rocky Dijon

The song was recorded in May and June of 2005. At that point and time the album was already '85%' finished ... according to Mick at the press conference in May of 2005. The song was not recorded at Micks house or elsewhere as was plenty of the earlier stuff (1/2). I read this on a couple websites .. including Wikipedia and at the time Mick mentioned at the press conference they had just written the song I believe.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 23, 2019 18:56

IanBillen
doitywoik

They are not in the studio 'rehearsing' for a new tour. Bands don't go to recording studios such as this to rehearse .. they go to record or mix. As well .. it's January .. they would never start tour rehearsals in January for a tour that is scheduled for late April.

As well Keith said they are going there to record the stuff he and Mick worked on ...

Keith: At the moment the Stones are going into the studio next week and so I'm preparing for that, for a few days, to see what we've got. 'Cause we've been working away for - over the year Mick and I have been together several times. And a big sound that we've put together, quite an accumulation of stuff, so we're going to take it in the studio with the best of the boys and see what happens.
[www.timeisonourside.com]

Date: January 23, 2019 19:03

IanBillen
gotdablouse
IanBillen
Rocky Dijon

The song was recorded in May and June of 2005. At that point and time the album was already '85%' finished ... according to Mick at the press conference in May of 2005. The song was not recorded at Micks house or elsewhere as was plenty of the earlier stuff (1/2). I read this on a couple websites .. including Wikipedia and at the time Mick mentioned at the press conference they had just written the song I believe.

Funny how the footage was in Mick's house of them recording this song.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: January 23, 2019 19:19

According to Martin Elliott, Rough Justice was the last song cut for the album. Wikipedia: "Recording began at La Fourchette, Posé sur Cisse, France in June 2005" and ONNYA May-June 2005 (no citations however). Charlie was said to play on the ONNYA theme in reference to repeatedly returning to the studio. No mention of either song before May 2005 on the Zentgraf site that I could find (first mention is rehearsing ONNYA 5/9 for the Juliard gig the next day).

In any case, if one or both of these were done towards the end of the album sessions (debatably two of the strongest cuts on the album, and the Stones certainly thought so), I wonder what prompted returning to the studio... Maybe they (or the record company) figured that the album was not "ready" yet. Is history repeating itself in 2019? Hmm...

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 23, 2019 19:39

In the studio is @#$%& fantastic news.

I'm so tired of the negativity...
Let The Rolling Stones surprise and delight the @#$%& out of us.

Bring on some news songs and bring on the new tour.
2019 ROCKS!

Date: January 23, 2019 19:53

Sipuncula
According to Martin Elliott, Rough Justice was the last song cut for the album. Wikipedia: "Recording began at La Fourchette, Posé sur Cisse, France in June 2005" and ONNYA May-June 2005 (no citations however). Charlie was said to play on the ONNYA theme in reference to repeatedly returning to the studio. No mention of either song before May 2005 on the Zentgraf site that I could find (first mention is rehearsing ONNYA 5/9 for the Juliard gig the next day).

In any case, if one or both of these were done towards the end of the album sessions (debatably two of the strongest cuts on the album, and the Stones certainly thought so), I wonder what prompted returning to the studio... Maybe they (or the record company) figured that the album was not "ready" yet. Is history repeating itself in 2019? Hmm...

I dont believe wikipedia.it sucks. Some People write stuff on it who dont know shit.
Jeroen

Date: January 23, 2019 20:28

"Oh No Not You Again" was a title of an unfinished song Mick and Dave Stewart worked on in 1991 at the same time as the first version of "The Blind Leading the Blind." Mick and Dave have a policy of finishing everything they write. Since Mick didn't use any of Dave's songs on WANDERING SPIRIT, Dave finished them on his own for his GREETINGS IN THE GUTTER album. Dave's version of "Oh No Not You Again" has no Jagger input apart from the title. Dave's version of "The Blind Leading the Blind" released as a B-side has a different set of lyrics than the song they later reworked for ALFIE. The Jagger-Richards "Oh No Not You Again" is a new song with a recycled title (as Mick did with "Lucky in Love"). Mick gave Dave an acknowledgement in the album credits for using it. The song did seem born out of "When the Whip Comes Down" (particularly the LICKS version). It was recorded at The Fork, though the final version was done during mixing and overdubbing in L.A. Early on, it was considered the potential single and given a live preview at the press conference before mixing and overdubbing had even started for the album.

"Rough Justice" was the eleventh hour addition. Virgin, despite thinking the album was too long, felt it was lacking a classic Stones opener. Keith allegedly knocked the song off quickly and called it "Barnyard Blues" and gave it to Mick to work out lyrics. This working title allegedly inspired the lyrical nod to "Little Red Rooster." It was the only track done at Village Recorders because the rest of the album was locked at that point. I've also heard that the title came from a hardboiled pulp novel by Frederick Nebel that Keith had read recently. Nebel was a contemporary of Raymond Chandler (who Keith does like), but I don't know if there's any truth to that one. Chatoyancy offered still another possible explanation for the title.

Can I prove any of this? Of course not. I wasn't there. It's what I read or was told and as best as I recollect after nearly 14 years.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date: January 23, 2019 21:13

i was not talking / writing about you Rocky.
Jeroen

Date: January 23, 2019 21:25

Rocky Dijon
"Oh No Not You Again" was a title of an unfinished song Mick and Dave Stewart worked on in 1991 at the same time as the first version of "The Blind Leading the Blind." Mick and Dave have a policy of finishing everything they write. Since Mick didn't use any of Dave's songs on WANDERING SPIRIT, Dave finished them on his own for his GREETINGS IN THE GUTTER album. Dave's version of "Oh No Not You Again" has no Jagger input apart from the title. Dave's version of "The Blind Leading the Blind" released as a B-side has a different set of lyrics than the song they later reworked for ALFIE. The Jagger-Richards "Oh No Not You Again" is a new song with a recycled title (as Mick did with "Lucky in Love"). Mick gave Dave an acknowledgement in the album credits for using it. The song did seem born out of "When the Whip Comes Down" (particularly the LICKS version). It was recorded at The Fork, though the final version was done during mixing and overdubbing in L.A. Early on, it was considered the potential single and given a live preview at the press conference before mixing and overdubbing had even started for the album.

"Rough Justice" was the eleventh hour addition. Virgin, despite thinking the album was too long, felt it was lacking a classic Stones opener. Keith allegedly knocked the song off quickly and called it "Barnyard Blues" and gave it to Mick to work out lyrics. This working title allegedly inspired the lyrical nod to "Little Red Rooster." It was the only track done at Village Recorders because the rest of the album was locked at that point. I've also heard that the title came from a hardboiled pulp novel by Frederick Nebel that Keith had read recently. Nebel was a contemporary of Raymond Chandler (who Keith does like), but I don't know if there's any truth to that one. Chatoyancy offered still another possible explanation for the title.

Can I prove any of this? Of course not. I wasn't there. It's what I read or was told and as best as I recollect after nearly 14 years.

Interesting! I did not know this. Great info ..

Without ONNYA and RJ I am surprised they thought they had an album ..To me those are the two strongest songs on the album (minus the single SOL which is controversial).

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: January 23, 2019 21:51

runrudolph
Sipuncula
Wikipedia: "Recording began at La Fourchette, Posé sur Cisse, France in June 2005" and ONNYA May-June 2005 (no citations however).

I dont believe wikipedia.it sucks. Some People write stuff on it who dont know shit.
Jeroen

Maybe I should have emphasized "no citations". Didn't think I needed to, but you never know. If you're going to paint it with a big brush, couldn't you say the same about IORR?

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 23, 2019 21:55

DandelionPowderman
doitywoik

I don't think Ronnie would have said «going to the studio to record» if they were merely rehearsing. But I could be wrong smiling smiley

Oops, my recollection had skipped that part ... apologies ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-23 21:56 by doitywoik.

Date: January 23, 2019 21:56

runrudolph
Jeroen

I didn't take it that way, Jeroen. It was a general response to the conversation. And to be fair, I didn't use Wikipedia.

Date: January 23, 2019 22:13

IanBillen

Interesting! I did not know this. Great info ..

Without ONNYA and RJ I am surprised they thought they had an album ..To me those are the two strongest songs on the album (minus the single SOL which is controversial).

As far as I know, ONNYA was always part of the album. If anything, it appeared they thought it was the single but Virgin didn't. One imagines the two Matt Clifford demos (SOL and Rain Fall Down) were earmarked as potential singles early on as well.

Date: January 23, 2019 22:14

Sipuncula
If you're going to paint it with a big brush, couldn't you say the same about IORR?

Absolutely. We're only as good as our memories and what we hear or read to begin with (sometimes even from the band) is not always reliable.

Date: January 23, 2019 22:16

Rocky Dijon
runrudolph
Jeroen

I didn't take it that way, Jeroen. It was a general response to the conversation. And to be fair, I didn't use Wikipedia.

I know, hahahahaha. You are not the person to do that and your knowledge about the Stones surpasses it.
Jeroen

Re: Recording in a Week in LA
Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: January 23, 2019 22:50

northof49
Rocky Dijon
Henson Studios if it's L.A. is the likely answer.

You mean they've gotten so desperate they're looking to the muppets for help in completing the new album?
Jagger would never give Kermit a writing credit

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: January 24, 2019 00:14

Ruff Justice is a fox terrier, born 2004. There's a fox in the song. Keith told the press the song came to him in his sleep like Satisfaction. A likely story. I remember hearing him sing the lyrics,as he did with Love Is Strong in an alternative take. I've known Keith since I was 17.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 24, 2019 01:26

An alternative take of RJ with Keith on vocals ? I'm not aware of any ABB alternates takes circulating ? We have these "alternate mixes" that some guy copied off the hard drive of the Manhattan Beach studio but they're essentially identical to the released versions with no Keith vocals unlike for VL.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...261262263264265266267268269270271...LastNext
Current Page: 266 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2247
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home