Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...257258259260261262263264265266267...LastNext
Current Page: 262 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 16, 2019 20:50

Apart from signing off on the TALK IS CHEAP Deluxe Edition, it appears Keith had no real involvement in putting it together. Lawrence Peryer had the task of going through the outtakes and then working with Steve Jordan on finalizing the material for release on the TALK IS CHEAP SESSIONS disc. The same format will be followed for HOLLYWOOD PALLADIUM and MAIN OFFENDER and is already contractual.

Let's face it, if there's any real drama of any sort - no one is going to the media to broadcast it. That would be counter-productive. It's enough for most people to know they're working on a new album. They don't need to know when it's coming, the marketing plan, whether Mick and Keith like each other's ideas, whether Don Was prefers they finish old outtakes, whether Universal rejected anything, whether Ronnie and Charlie side with Mick and it's Keith and Jane against the world. None of that matters to anyone but the obsessive few.

Just as only a portion of the regulars here care whether Mick films a cameo for a movie most people will never hear of or whether he produces a Stones ballet for his girlfriend or whether Keith is spending time with his family instead of working on the new Stones album. What will we do when they're gone? If you'll allow me to paraphrase "Under the Radar."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 16, 2019 21:05

"None of that matters to anyone but the obsessive few".

And that's why some us are here, as obsessive Stones fans on a Rolling Stones message board. Some of us want to know all the details,
and to simply "know they're working on a new album" is definitely not enough - hence 262 pages and counting.

Date: January 16, 2019 21:11

Absolutely. If we weren't obsessed we wouldn't be here everyday. Instead of counting pages, maybe we should count posts or word count per person for this thread. Me, you, and Ian must be in the Top 5.

Date: January 16, 2019 21:18

Somewhere hidden within this 262 page thread is the blueprint for a new Stones album, but unlocking the mystery is no easy task.
If Keith and Mick took the time to peruse through it all, they might be able to piece together a new album prior to the tour.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 16, 2019 23:05

“Just as only a portion of the regulars here care whether Mick films a cameo for a movie most people will never hear of or whether he produces a Stones ballet for his girlfriend or whether Keith is spending time with his family instead of working on the new Stones album. What will we do when they're gone? If you'll allow me to paraphrase "Under the Radar."

I think whatever Mick does is a big deal to the press. Wickedly famous.
I am not sure how the ‘papers’ work these days, info is controlled to a certain point.
What will we do? Start following the stories on Daily Mail? Get religion? Talk to real people?
Who can plan?

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 16, 2019 23:28

35love
“Just as only a portion of the regulars here care whether Mick films a cameo for a movie most people will never hear of or whether he produces a Stones ballet for his girlfriend or whether Keith is spending time with his family instead of working on the new Stones album. What will we do when they're gone? If you'll allow me to paraphrase "Under the Radar."

I am not sure how the ‘papers’ work these days, info is controlled to a certain point.
What will we do? Start following the stories on Daily Mail? Get religion? Talk to real people?
Who can plan?

Maybe by then the I-chips will be ready for implantation and it will be decided for us.

Date: January 16, 2019 23:47

“Maybe by then the I-chips will be ready for implantation and it will be decided for us.”

Indeed.

I’m going to go out on a limb of thought
Not filtered with witty words
Rob Sheffield wrote a piece in RS magazine about ‘Thank U, next’
the *feel of the immediate creativity shared when created and then dropped online immediate release
John Lennon did it ‘Instant Karma’ (roused by spirit, and he knew it)
Beyoncé Lemonaide hit personal life matched here is my drop/ take on it.

So, what’s a band to do.
I know I know all think
‘Gotta Get A Grip’ ‘England Lost’
Maybe those are what Mick wants to leave to his kids/ the messages of that time (still applicable)

Moral of the story, drop yer drawers? No, IDK.
What to do. Maybe they’ll drop @ tour time...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 17, 2019 03:43

Rocky Dijon
Apart from signing off on the TALK IS CHEAP Deluxe Edition, it appears Keith had no real involvement in putting it together. Lawrence Peryer had the task of going through the outtakes and then working with Steve Jordan on finalizing the material for release on the TALK IS CHEAP SESSIONS disc. The same format will be followed for HOLLYWOOD PALLADIUM and MAIN OFFENDER and is already contractual.

Let's face it, if there's any real drama of any sort - no one is going to the media to broadcast it. That would be counter-productive. It's enough for most people to know they're working on a new album. They don't need to know when it's coming, the marketing plan, whether Mick and Keith like each other's ideas, whether Don Was prefers they finish old outtakes, whether Universal rejected anything, whether Ronnie and Charlie side with Mick and it's Keith and Jane against the world. None of that matters to anyone but the obsessive few.

Just as only a portion of the regulars here care whether Mick films a cameo for a movie most people will never hear of or whether he produces a Stones ballet for his girlfriend or whether Keith is spending time with his family instead of working on the new Stones album. What will we do when they're gone? If you'll allow me to paraphrase "Under the Radar."

I'll probably do the same thing I've been doing the past couple of years - listening to play lists that consist of tracks from BLACK AND BLUE through UNDERCOVER and ignoring the HOT ROCKS aspects of those albums and their discography for the most part.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 17, 2019 11:47

Hairball
With the good news of Keith releasing his Deluxe Talk is Cheap, seems another reason a new Stones album is on the backburner.

That's pretty much what I thought. It may well be there wasn't much Keith involvement in this re-release but still I would guess that round these days of demonstrated harmony any kind of solo release (or re-release) is somehow accorded with the general band schedules/activities. In other terms, the re-release doesn't happen behind Mick's back but he is supposedly informed and it is OK with him - which again would mean the re-release is not getting in the way of a new Stones album.

35love

But only (or primarily) if it involves a lady 50 years his junior, I'd say.

Date: January 17, 2019 19:48

doitywoik
Hairball
With the good news of Keith releasing his Deluxe Talk is Cheap, seems another reason a new Stones album is on the backburner.

That's pretty much what I thought. It may well be there wasn't much Keith involvement in this re-release but still I would guess that round these days of demonstrated harmony any kind of solo release (or re-release) is somehow accorded with the general band schedules/activities. In other terms, the re-release doesn't happen behind Mick's back but he is supposedly informed and it is OK with him - which again would mean the re-release is not getting in the way of a new Stones album.

Yes, and there's the commercial aspect to consider - I doubt they'd want to release a Keith deluxe and a new Stones album simultaneously or even within a year (or two) of each other.
Why compete with each other when you can maximize profits by staggering the releases? Like the Beatles and the Stones, they timed their releases as to not step on each other.
Not that either will sell boatloads, but....

doitywoik
35love

Some girls give him jewelry
Others buy him clothes
Some girls give him children
He never asked them for...

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 17, 2019 20:04

Hairball
doitywoik
Hairball

Yes, and there's the commercial aspect to consider - I doubt they'd want to release a Keith deluxe and a new Stones album simultaneously or even within a year (or two) of each other.
Why compete with each other when you can maximize profits by staggering the releases? Like the Beatles and the Stones, they timed their releases as to not step on each other.
Not that either will sell boatloads, but....

doitywoik
35love

Others buy him clothes

Isn't that a bit exaggerating? It's Keith, even Keith deluxe, but saleswise, it will be gone after 2-3 months maximum. And it did not prevent them to release Voodoo Loung Uncut and Voodoo Lounge In Japan in a very narrow time frame around Talk Is Cheap, all aimed at the very same target consumers group.

Date: January 17, 2019 20:12

Yeah perhaps your right retired_dog ...I was projecting my own expectations of when the new album might be released - I predict the Fall of 2020 at the earliest.
Still hopeful for a new single prior to the upcoming tour, but wouldn't bet any money on it.

Date: January 17, 2019 20:14

Ouch
and take a look at Daily Mail Sun Etc
shocking
to numb

Date: January 17, 2019 22:19

Maybe they'll release an EP before the tour... and then next year an album WITHOUT the EP tracks.

And if that does happen, I bet you can count on it being the last album and the last tour (which won't feature a song from the EP or anything post-1981 except, of course, YGMR, and only one from the new LP).

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 17, 2019 22:32

i think Bill really , with Charlie, makes/ made the organic sound for the Stones.

forget about Micks Voice, Keef n Ronnies/Mick/Brian guitars, Ians piano.

When Bill left, the Swagger left. The rough, the sex , the dirt left.

Ofcourse, after WW 3, after the DW album , everything changed.
with Steel Wheels, the Las Vegas Period started.

The Anger, the Darkness went.
Keef n Mick lost their flow, their inspiration.

But when Bill left, everything left..
the band has never been the same since Bill left

Still Love them to bits. love the band.

Seen them 38 times since 1976.

But..

the waiting is for Keef's Talk is cheap, deluxe.

I think that says it all.

Noor

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 17, 2019 22:37

GasLightStreet
Maybe they'll release an EP before the tour... and then next year an album WITHOUT the EP tracks.

And if that does happen, I bet you can count on it being the last album and the last tour (which won't feature a song from the EP or anything post-1981 except, of course, YGMR, and only one from the new LP).

Just an "A-side" single. Just one song....winking smiley

Date: January 17, 2019 23:37

Hairball

You mean like how BLUE AND LONESOME followed CROSSEYED HEART within a year of each other? Or how CROSSEYED HEART followed STICKY FINGERS DELUXE by a couple of months?

Your idea of maximizing sales isn't bad at all, it's just not how they operate any more.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-17 23:40 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: January 18, 2019 00:03

THE LONDON YEARS box set was released August 15, a Tuesday, 1989.

Mixed Emotions was released 8-17-1989, which doesn't make much sense since all releases were on Tuesdays back then.

STEEL WHEELS was released 8-28-1989, a Monday. These dates are from Wikipedia so they could be wrong.

Obviously Columbia Records didn't have an issue with ABKCO releasing what they did prior to the new LP. If the Stones did they were outvoted.

Keith's reissue probably won't get nearly the hype CROSSEYED HEART did - and I would find it difficult to believe that there'd be an issue with any kind of Stones release so close to a solo reissue. With the way the albums are dealt with these days it doesn't matter when something is released because it can be listened to at any time. Being bought, on the other hand, well, there are simply two choices to that, and having another release by someone in the band shouldn't conflict with that if a casual Stones fan doesn't care about a solo reissue.

Date: January 18, 2019 00:35

Hairball

Really? I thought this works the other way round ! LOL

Hairball

Yesss, that sounds more likely ... winking smiley

Date: January 18, 2019 00:57

GasLightStreet
Keith's reissue probably won't get nearly the hype CROSSEYED HEART did - and I would find it difficult to believe that there'd be an issue with any kind of Stones release so close to a solo reissue.

Hmm, good points. There's certainly a difference between re-releasing a 30-year-old album and releasing an album with fresh material - and then between both these and releasing a Stones album with new stuff on it.

Over here at least, a new Stones album might still be worth a full page in the papers (CH was good for a honorary mention, at least). I may misremember but the deluxe versions of Exile and Some Girls didn't come with any media coverage over here, I believe. A new Stones album still has at least some sensational news value because of their status, even if it leaves no trace in the radio playlists.

How all this might translate into sales figures I really have no clue. The Floyd and the Crim keep throwing one remaster after the other at the enthusiastic few, but apparently there are still enough freaks left among those few to buy even the 127th version of DSOTM or ITCOTCK and make it all worthwhile financially.

The enthusiastic few (or not so few?) to buy a new Stones CD (as opposed to listening to 20 secs on youtube) somehow intersect with the aforementioned crowd, I guess. It's people like us who still buy CDs (or even vinyls), enjoy good cover art, and want to listen to songs in a (hopefully) well-organized bunch. I am so totally clueless about how the Stones fare in the streaming world, that's simply not my universe.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 18, 2019 01:21

Exile had huge media in the States. The documentary and the whole week with bands playing Exile songs plus an appearance with Keith on Fallon come to mind.

Posted by: MAYO ()
Date: January 18, 2019 17:39

No more please. Just new and fresh songs. I am becoming feel and tired so many vaults the same songs we got hundred if times. pPLEAS3 NEW MATERIAL OR CLOSE THE DOOR .

Date: January 18, 2019 19:18

doitywoik
GasLightStreet
Keith's reissue probably won't get nearly the hype CROSSEYED HEART did - and I would find it difficult to believe that there'd be an issue with any kind of Stones release so close to a solo reissue.

Hmm, good points. There's certainly a difference between re-releasing a 30-year-old album and releasing an album with fresh material - and then between both these and releasing a Stones album with new stuff on it.

Over here at least, a new Stones album might still be worth a full page in the papers (CH was good for a honorary mention, at least). I may misremember but the deluxe versions of Exile and Some Girls didn't come with any media coverage over here, I believe. A new Stones album still has at least some sensational news value because of their status, even if it leaves no trace in the radio playlists.

How all this might translate into sales figures I really have no clue. The Floyd and the Crim keep throwing one remaster after the other at the enthusiastic few, but apparently there are still enough freaks left among those few to buy even the 127th version of DSOTM or ITCOTCK and make it all worthwhile financially.

The enthusiastic few (or not so few?) to buy a new Stones CD (as opposed to listening to 20 secs on youtube) somehow intersect with the aforementioned crowd, I guess. It's people like us who still buy CDs (or even vinyls), enjoy good cover art, and want to listen to songs in a (hopefully) well-organized bunch. I am so totally clueless about how the Stones fare in the streaming world, that's simply not my universe.

I stream music a little bit. I tend to listen to albums in full but occasionally listen to one song. From what I've seen of people, like with Pandora, they enter an artist and then others in that genre are played as well, and it's an interesting package. With Spotify, the free version anyway, on my phone I can't listen to an album, it's always the stupid shuffle and it's not just the artist I want to hear. On a PC it's not that way for some reason.

I don't have Apple Music so I have no idea how that works but I'm guessing it's similar. So a new Stones song, single or not, would be listened to on all of those, I suppose, as well as YouTube and whatever else, Google Radio Station, etc.

People are too cheap to download a song for $1.20 or whatever? That's crazy. Given the option regarding digital, if I can listen to the album in its entirety on YouTube and if I don't like track 5, 7 and 9, well, the idea of buying the songs I do like is just fine, and then I don't have to rely on streaming, I can just play it as an album sans the bad songs (how great that would've been for BTB and ABB!).

I bought BLUE AND LONESOME on CD. I put it on my PC but for some reason it didn't load into Google Music. So... I downloaded it from Google Play. The same with Jason Isbell's new live album. So I bought them twice. I don't buy a lot of music so that doesn't bother me so much. For THE BEATLES deluxe reissue I only downloaded it, I don't really want the hard copy.

But I do love the artwork and flow of an album and the aspect of taking the physical record, whether vinyl or CD, and having that connection of the dedication to the album. So I will buy hard copies and digital copies for certain releases.

With Amazon Music, I bought all of the Led Zeppelin reissues on CD and Amazon gives you a free download on their music player with the purchase. That's pretty damn cool, really, because, well, I can plug my phone in or bluetooth it and it's convenient, of course, but the end result is the same - I get to listen to what I purchased and enjoy it.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 18, 2019 19:55

GasLightStreet
Compilations, from what I've read, tend to go out of print mainly for one reason - they stop selling.

I looked on Spotify and as of today, the only compilation I saw in the album section was FLOWERS and the following hits comps available under compilations are the 3 1960s singles comps that are not BIG HITS etc but the years, JUMP BACK, THE SINGLES YEARS (LONDON COLLECTION), MADE IN THE SHADE, METAMORPHOSIS, both HOT ROCKS and BIG HITS.

I don't have Apple Music so I don't know if anything is on it. Nor do I bother with other streaming sites.

True but there are any Greatist Hits albums which continue to sell, Pink Floyd Eagles ABBA, Fleetwood Mac spring to mind. Cant all be just Christmas sales.
The 2018 album best sellers lists have a healthy number of compilations, maybe not as many as previously though.
Not sure if the 'Now' compliations still continue. They were of various artists of course but sold in huge numbers in the UK.

Date: January 18, 2019 19:58

jlowe
GasLightStreet
Compilations, from what I've read, tend to go out of print mainly for one reason - they stop selling.

I looked on Spotify and as of today, the only compilation I saw in the album section was FLOWERS and the following hits comps available under compilations are the 3 1960s singles comps that are not BIG HITS etc but the years, JUMP BACK, THE SINGLES YEARS (LONDON COLLECTION), MADE IN THE SHADE, METAMORPHOSIS, both HOT ROCKS and BIG HITS.

I don't have Apple Music so I don't know if anything is on it. Nor do I bother with other streaming sites.

True but there are any Greatist Hits albums which continue to sell, Pink Floyd Eagles ABBA, Fleetwood Mac spring to mind. Cant all be just Christmas sales.
The 2018 album best sellers lists have a healthy number of compilations, maybe not as many as previously though.
Not sure if the 'Now' compliations still continue. They were of various artists of course but sold in huge numbers in the UK.

Well, HOT ROCKS has never gone out of print that I'm aware of. Everything from Rolling Stones Records onwards is though except JUMP BACK I think.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 19, 2019 10:17

[www.list.co.uk]
"I've heard snippets of the album, yes, it's amazing. It's different - I can't say different how, cause I wouldn't want to ruin it - but it's good"

[mobile.twitter.com]
"Fantastic...not covers"

What the hell they listened to?!!! grinning smiley

Date: January 19, 2019 11:06

KRiffhard
[www.list.co.uk]
"I've heard snippets of the album, yes, it's amazing. It's different - I can't say different how, cause I wouldn't want to ruin it - but it's good"

That refers still to the pre-brickwall state I guess.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 19, 2019 12:53

KRiffhard
[www.list.co.uk]

[mobile.twitter.com]
"Fantastic...not covers"

What the hell they listened to?!!! grinning smiley

2.5 years ago

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: January 19, 2019 14:05

They are going into the studio next week,
Interview with Keith from last night ( he is in the UK )

From 1.40

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-19 14:06 by Lien.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 19, 2019 14:24

yeah, a few days in the studio next week.
great Great.
good luck guys.
jeroen

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...257258259260261262263264265266267...LastNext
Current Page: 262 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1757
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home