Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...256257258259260261262263264265266...LastNext
Current Page: 261 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 14, 2019 17:38

ronnie stated in the recent (??)interview with Matt everitt, the waiting is on Jagger n Richards.
Charlie n ron are ready.

so, it might be a few lightyears, before the album is ready (i think)

jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-14 17:39 by corriecas.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 14, 2019 17:46

corriecas
ronnie stated in the recent (??)interview with Matt everitt, the waiting is on Jagger n Richards.
Charlie n ron are ready.

so, it might be a few lightyears, before the album is ready (i think)

jeroen

I think he's referring to next sessions in february.

Date: January 14, 2019 18:10

yeah, february 2021.
jeroen

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 14, 2019 19:15

doitywoik
Spud
I often get the impression that they [Keith in particular] think they're a Jazz band...and the music is brand new every time they play it !

Yeah, Keith often talks like that, like each song comes out quite different each time they play it. (I for my part can't detect any differences at a macroscopic level in a song between one show and the next show, unless it's botched intro/solo vs. sorta-OK-intro/solo, or the like). Keith also likes to say they're getting better and better over the years ("like old wine") ... not sure if he really believes so himself.

What goes OK with me is his reference to the old bluesmen, still playing in their old age. Hell, yeah, why not? smiling smiley Although there's possibly a difference between playing a club date as a 80-plus year old blues (or jazz) person and delivering a full-blown stadium rock production for 50.000 people at the age of, say, 85.

Some good points. Keith must be the only person on the planet who thinks the group is getting better!
Actually the Cuban group Buena Vista Social Group had members well into their 80s..maybe even older? Of course they weren't fantastically wealthy ...or egos....so maybe had more focus, drive and creativity?

Date: January 14, 2019 19:22

Seems like Ronnie has given the Blah nlah talk to Keef.
Sad..very sad.
Jeroen

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 14, 2019 21:44

Regarding possible studio sessions, Bob Weir & Wolf Bros announced a tour today, February 28 - March 30. That's a full month Don Was won't be available.

[twitter.com]

Date: January 14, 2019 21:58

Adios Amigos...
Adios el nuevo cd des Rolling Stones..

Hasta el ano 2023. Es el ano de Anos.

jeroen

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: January 14, 2019 23:22

261...& Countingeye rolling smileydrinking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 15, 2019 00:54

mailexile67
261...& Countingeye rolling smileydrinking smiley

This thread is going nowhere fast - kind of like the supposed new Stones album...on the road to nowhere..............

But when all else fails, there's Keith's Talk is Cheap Deluxe to look forward to. thumbs up

Keith

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 15, 2019 04:06

georgelicks
timbernardis
One question-- Hot Rocks seems to consistently sell the best of any of their hits anthologies -- 40 Licks, Grrr, etc. Why? Just cuz it extensively covers the period when they had more hits than any other era?

plexi

1 - Its their best selling and more popular album, Diamond certified in the US, almost 300 weeks on chart, etc so the general audience go there.

2 - Forty Licks and Grrr are both out of print and not available for streaming

still doesn't explain why it is the most popular. If Forty Licks and Grrr were more popular, they would still be in print.

plexi

Date: January 15, 2019 04:16

jlowe
timbernardis
One question-- Hot Rocks seems to consistently sell the best of any of their hits anthologies -- 40 Licks, Grrr, etc. Why? Just cuz it extensively covers the period when they had more hits than any other era?

plexi

Well, I bought 40 Licks and probably like a lot of people played Disc one but pretty much ignored Disc two.
Hot Rocks was maybe the best thing ABKCO ever did for the group (and the label of course).

well, what this tells me confirms what I thought -- that it is the most popular anthology as it has the most songs from the golden era of the 60s up to 1971 (Sticky Fingers). The others don't have as many. This must be their most popular era, more than anything since, Exile, Some Girls, Tattoo You included.

plexi

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 15, 2019 04:54

timbernardis
georgelicks
timbernardis

plexi

1 - Its their best selling and more popular album, Diamond certified in the US, almost 300 weeks on chart, etc so the general audience go there.

2 - Forty Licks and Grrr are both out of print and not available for streaming

still doesn't explain why it is the most popular. If Forty Licks and Grrr were more popular, they would still be in print.

plexi

Not necessarily. Both compilations include ABKCO-era material. It's well possible that the respective cooperation deals ran out after certain periods of time.

Date: January 15, 2019 05:00

timbernardis
jlowe
timbernardis

plexi

Well, I bought 40 Licks and probably like a lot of people played Disc one but pretty much ignored Disc two.
Hot Rocks was maybe the best thing ABKCO ever did for the group (and the label of course).

well, what this tells me confirms what I thought -- that it is the most popular anthology as it has the most songs from the golden era of the 60s up to 1971 (Sticky Fingers). The others don't have as many. This must be their most popular era, more than anything since, Exile, Some Girls, Tattoo You included.
plexi

With all due respect - "Rolled Gold" and in particular it's re-relase "Rolled Gold+" were far more extensive representations of the ABKCO-era and should have taken the place of Hot Rocks. It's possible however that ABKCO always assumed that a certain percentage of "Hot Rocks"-buyers would buy "More Hot Rocks" too sooner or later.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-15 05:08 by retired_dog.

Date: January 15, 2019 08:40

both of your last two posts are on the mark. Thanks Mister Retired!

plexi

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 15, 2019 10:19

"Rolled Gold " just never had the same profile as "Hot Rocks" in the industry's conscience .

I think it's maybe the album name rather than what's on it that has kept "Hot Rocks" on the shelves in preference to other hits packages.

[It's odd but Very few " Best Of..." albums by anybody have enjoyed the stand alone kudos that "Hot Rocks" has somehow maintained down the years.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-15 10:24 by Spud.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 15, 2019 10:30

Rolled Gold was released by Decca without the bands authorization in 1975. Seems as unnecessary today as back then.

Date: January 15, 2019 10:34

retired_dog
timbernardis
jlowe
timbernardis

plexi

plexi

With all due respect - "Rolled Gold" and in particular it's re-relase "Rolled Gold+" were far more extensive representations of the ABKCO-era and should have taken the place of Hot Rocks. It's possible however that ABKCO always assumed that a certain percentage of "Hot Rocks"-buyers would buy "More Hot Rocks" too sooner or later.

So true. And let's not forget that Rolled Gold came as a Volume 2 as well. On a desert island I would have taken the original two double Rolled Gold-albums with me.

Date: January 15, 2019 14:35

I wouldn't . The "Rolled Gold" sound quality was bloody awful !grinning smiley

Date: January 15, 2019 16:45

Spud

Was it? I didn't listen to my original vinyl since decades now... but Rolled Gold+ used the 2002 remasters and was as perfect as it could possibly get imo.

Date: January 15, 2019 17:15

Oh, I'm talking about the 70s vinyl .

The modern world has largely passed me by I'm afraid winking smiley

Date: January 15, 2019 18:24

Spud

The new one was indeed. The old one sounds great, imo.

Date: January 15, 2019 19:51

DandelionPowderman
Spud

Now you're confusing me. The old one sounds better than the new one?

Date: January 15, 2019 20:14

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
Spud

Now you're confusing me. The old one sounds better than the new one?

Yes, there was something odd about the reissue of Rolled Gold from the 2000s.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 16, 2019 00:00

jlowe
Actually the Cuban group Buena Vista Social Group had members well into their 80s..maybe even older?

True! Compay Segundo (born 1907) was 90 when the album came out, and 91 when Wim Wenders made the movie. Charles Aznavour was still touring at the age of 94. If we take such guys as a reference, we'll have Stones tours for another 20 years (and possibly this thread will reach page 10000 without the album finally being released LOL)...

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 16, 2019 00:54

doitywoik
jlowe
Actually the Cuban group Buena Vista Social Group had members well into their 80s..maybe even older?

True! Compay Segundo (born 1907) was 90 when the album came out, and 91 when Wim Wenders made the movie. Charles Aznavour was still touring at the age of 94. If we take such guys as a reference, we'll have Stones tours for another 20 years (and possibly this thread will reach page 10000 without the album finally being released LOL)...

AND these guys were putting out new material!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 16, 2019 17:19

timbernardis

plexi

Here's a good summation about HOT ROCKS from UCR:

Up until 'Forty Licks' came along 30 years later, 'Hot Rocks' was the most definitive collection of Stones hits and album tracks available. And it's still an essential part of their catalog and history, a two-disc summation of their first seven years told chronologically and with some of the greatest rock 'n' roll songs ever made. Flawless from start ("Time Is on My Side") to finish ("Wild Horses").

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

HOT ROCKS is cemented in Stones legacy, much like LED ZEPPELIN (4) is for Zep.

Date: January 16, 2019 17:40

Compilations, from what I've read, tend to go out of print mainly for one reason - they stop selling.

I looked on Spotify and as of today, the only compilation I saw in the album section was FLOWERS and the following hits comps available under compilations are the 3 1960s singles comps that are not BIG HITS etc but the years, JUMP BACK, THE SINGLES YEARS (LONDON COLLECTION), MADE IN THE SHADE, METAMORPHOSIS, both HOT ROCKS and BIG HITS.

I don't have Apple Music so I don't know if anything is on it. Nor do I bother with other streaming sites.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 16, 2019 17:58

GasLightStreet
Compilations, from what I've read, tend to go out of print mainly for one reason - they stop selling.

While generally true, in the case of FORTY LICKS an GRRR, licensing issues are the reason for the short shelf life. A common distributor makes it easier for ABKCO and Promotone to collaborate, but they are still very much separate entities.

Date: January 16, 2019 18:13

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet

While generally true, in the case of FORTY LICKS an GRRR, licensing issues are the reason for the short shelf life. A common distributor makes it easier for ABKCO and Promotone to collaborate, but they are still very much separate entities.

Isn't that weird? They go through the effort to put the things together and then... nahhhhh, that's long enough.

Seems silly.

FORTY LICKS made sense at the time, although the new tracks were a waste of space - they should've just been released as a single EP, really, with the 4 tracks being whatever, Heartbreaker, Harlem Shuffle, Wild Horses and, I dunno, Saint Of Me.

GRRR! was ridiculous, though. Instead of simply updating FORTY LICKS to FIFTY LICKS, they opted to attempt to get children to like it with the horrendous album cover, their second worst cover ever, and the ridiculous title.

BLUE AND LONESOME, although a bit simple with the cover, has an elegance to it regarding the logo and the color scheme clearly letting you know it's a blues album.

If they ever get around to releasing this supposed new album of originals let's hope they don't screw it up with another horrible cover like the last, oh, 5 albums (DW-ABcool smiley.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 16, 2019 20:36

With the good news of Keith releasing his Deluxe Talk is Cheap, seems another reason a new Stones album is on the backburner.
Keith himself said he only works on and releases solo stuff when the Stones are "inactive" (or words to that effect), and the fact he's releasing this just prior to the tour is a bit disconcerting.
Personally I'm quite happy with this change of events as I always hoped for some new solo material (even if 31 years old), but is there any hope left for new Stones material within the next year?
Was really hoping for at least a new single prior to the tour to add some freshness, but looks like even that might not be happening after all.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...256257258259260261262263264265266...LastNext
Current Page: 261 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home