Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...251252253254255256257258259260261...LastNext
Current Page: 256 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 7, 2019 20:11

cowboytoast
i'm sad there hasn't been a new record in so many years - as much as i hate to say it - i just don't think they are into it - the one thing that any artist wants to do is "create" - and they have shown no signs of having that desire anymore - this many years between albums at this point is just silly - i certainly hope i am proven wrong -

thumbs up

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 7, 2019 21:18

December 5-10, 2015 - band sessions for the upcoming album in London.
December 11, 2015 - 1st band session for Blue and Lonesome.
December 12, 2015 - band session resumes for upcoming album.
December 14-15, 2015 - band sessions for Blue and Lonesome.
December 16-18, 2015 - band session resumes for the upcoming album.

*Bernard Fowler was present for the last three dates at British Grove above.

April 7 - mid-April 2016 - mixing & overdubbing for Blue and Lonesome.
June 13-26, 2016 - band sessions for the upcoming album in London.

mid-February 2017 - Mick & Keith records demos in New York for five days.
March 9, 2017 - Don Was & Keith in New York overdub Keyon Harrold on a track.
late April 2017 - Mick, Ronnie, & Charlie record Mick's "solo" tracks in London.
May 30 - June 9, 2017 - band sessions for the upcoming album in London.
June 28, 2017 - Keith records guitar overdubs in New York.
November 29, 2017 - Keith records a demo in New York.
December 1, 2017 - Mick adds vocals and blues harp in Los Angeles.

February 9, 2018 - Mick is in Paris with Carl Falk for mixing & overdubbing.
February - March 2018 - Mick & Keith record demos in New York for 2 weeks.
March 24, 2018 - Ronnie records overdubs in London.
March 30, 2018 - Mick records overdubs in Mustique.
August 19, 2018 - Mick records a new demo in the South of France.
August 22-23, 2018 - Keith records guitar overdubs in New York.
September 4, 2018 - Mick records overdubs in London.
October 1, 2018 - Mick works on lyrics for new material.
December 2018 - Mick and Ronnie record in Paris for two days.

* Bernard and Darryl record overdubs in Paris in late November/early December.

** most dates are from [timeisonourside.com]

***earlier session with Carl Falk is not reflected. Also, think there's a Mick and Keith session in New York from Autumn 2018 missing.

"early days?" "jam sessions" only? You decide.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-07 21:20 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: January 7, 2019 21:49

Looks pretty good on paper, but evidently the progress has been derailed for whatever reasons.
Both Mick and Keith's comments from last month don't sound very promising, but at least Mick does sound hopeful:

"So, I would hope we’re going to release some music...And I just hope we’re going to come up with some new stuff as well". - Mick

"Like I say, early stages. I would say if I'm looking at it, we're going to do this tour, so maybe this time next year, I would say. Maybe. That looks like a reasonable projection." - Keith

Based on those comments, and not taking in to consideration any work they might have done thus far, seems the future is uncertain regarding any new/finished material.

Date: January 7, 2019 22:18

Haven't a clue about release dates. Just don't buy the "early days yet, clay not formed, go away and leave us alone" responses from Mick, Keith, and Don any more than I believe Charlie and Ronnie attend annual band meetings and tour every year and can say, "Gee, I don't know, I thought it was finished."

You don't overdub Keyon Harrold and backing vocals, much less bring in Carl Falk twice over 12 months apart to add beats to tracks that are nothing more than formless jam sessions.

There are lots of tracks being worked and reworked. It may be they are working on multiple projects or woodshedding for future use when the band is no more. It may be they and Universal determined the best time to release new material is when it is a final statement.

Some of Mick's sessions have been working from his various homes, but all those dates at British Grove and Germano to say nothing of Henson Studios in L.A. or Twin Studios in Paris and the cost of Don Was and Carl Falk's time is costing Universal. I don't think they let them putter around and then say, "gee this isn't anything yet. Oh well, keep doing what you're doing and send us the bill."

Whether it's the press or whether it's the information pipeline within the company, they figured out they want to shut down leaks where possible and control the narrative.

We're not getting the truth. That doesn't mean a new album or an EP before the tour, but things have progressed far more than they're letting on. This disinformation has been the norm from the beginning.

The only wall we've hit that matters is the one keeping our noses out of their business.

Apart from that, we can stick to "Mick has writer's block" or "Mick writes crap songs while Keith is a genius" or "Keith is arthritic and useless." Everyone should be happy to continue posting "the album will never happen, bring on page 500" or blaming everything on "family-time or Mick's cameo in a movie."

I think our collective frustration has more to do with their comments than it does the reality of their progress. Sure we want it now like the spoiled brats we are, but I think our fears that over three years of effort have produced only jam sessions is a blatant fallacy.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-07 22:32 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: January 7, 2019 23:01

Hard to say exactly what's going on, and your personal frustration with it all is loud and clear.
Meanwhile, hoping Keith makes it to the studio in February, and maybe he'll have a revised statement on the situation afterwards - i.e. from "early stages" to "finishing touches"

Date: January 8, 2019 01:02

Very true, Hairball. I do wonder if Universal and the Stones haven't looked at the likely financial returns on "just another new Stones album" after the first month (if not the first week) of release and decided they'll sandbag material until one of them passes away and they can maximize sales by releasing a box set of refried outtakes and new material. A horribly cynical thought, but perhaps not an unrealistic one if it's all about money and glory.

I do prefer that to the possibility of two very old men who will not compromise with the other's idea of what a new Stones album should sound like in 2019. That scenario does fit the apparent effort exerted each year with mixing, overdubbing, additional production, marketing plans, followed by "it's early stages, they're all just jam sessions - honest." That also fits with "new album in 2019...make that an EP...make that a single" to "oh sod it, they've got nothing...maybe in 2020."

The optimistic outlook that all goes well with the studio time booked in Febuary and March and suddenly Keith tells everyone who will listen, "it was the fastest Stones session since probably the first one. We cut fifteen tracks in five days. It's because the band is so tight from touring these past four or five years [Keith, it's seven years as you well know]. That and Blue and Lonesome reinvigorated the band. It took us back to our roots and reminded us to take chances again. We were The Rolling Stones on this record, not just trying to be them."

I feel certain tying back to Blue and Lonesome is part of the marketing plan for the new album, it's only logical given its critical and commercial success at this late stage in their career; but I'm highly skeptical there's a chance of finishing it before the tour. About the only way that could happen is if the origial plan that Soldatti (GeorgeLicks) shared was never supposed to leak and the denials are the way to put the cat back in the bag. I'd love that to be the case, but it really feels like false hope at this stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-08 01:08 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 8, 2019 01:45

Mick, of all people, saying they should record, made me laugh, since he is the one that dictates the set lists that feature practically NOTHING from 1989, 1994, 1997 and 2005 (with the obvious exception of YGMR a good bit and OOC occasionally and whatever Keith does) - VOODOO and BRIDGES were hit albums.

All the effort etc that went into those LPs and their long tours... were for what? Obviously money but they seemed interested in being an ongoing functioning creative band.

Date: January 8, 2019 02:52

Rocky Dijon
Very true, Hairball. I do wonder if Universal and the Stones haven't looked at the likely financial returns on "just another new Stones album" after the first month (if not the first week) of release and decided they'll sandbag material until one of them passes away and they can maximize sales by releasing a box set of refried outtakes and new material. A horribly cynical thought, but perhaps not an unrealistic one if it's all about money and glory.

I do prefer that to the possibility of two very old men who will not compromise with the other's idea of what a new Stones album should sound like in 2019. That scenario does fit the apparent effort exerted each year with mixing, overdubbing, additional production, marketing plans, followed by "it's early stages, they're all just jam sessions - honest." That also fits with "new album in 2019...make that an EP...make that a single" to "oh sod it, they've got nothing...maybe in 2020."

The optimistic outlook that all goes well with the studio time booked in Febuary and March and suddenly Keith tells everyone who will listen, "it was the fastest Stones session since probably the first one. We cut fifteen tracks in five days. It's because the band is so tight from touring these past four or five years [Keith, it's seven years as you well know]. That and Blue and Lonesome reinvigorated the band. It took us back to our roots and reminded us to take chances again. We were The Rolling Stones on this record, not just trying to be them."

I feel certain tying back to Blue and Lonesome is part of the marketing plan for the new album, it's only logical given its critical and commercial success at this late stage in their career; but I'm highly skeptical there's a chance of finishing it before the tour. About the only way that could happen is if the origial plan that Soldatti (GeorgeLicks) shared was never supposed to leak and the denials are the way to put the cat back in the bag. I'd love that to be the case, but it really feels like false hope at this stage.

Sandbagging material for a posthumous release seems a stretch, but anything's possible I suppose.
As for Keith suddenly changing his tune after February, I was being tongue-in-cheek, but there's is a possibility he will claim the new material is "the best since Exile".
As for a new album being completed prior to the tour? Given the most recent quotes from georgelicks and band members themselves, I would say the chances are very slim.
Best hope is for a new single to add something fresh to the upcoming tour vs. a retread of the Nostalgia-ridden No Filter 1&2 - that's really my only hope at this time.
And while one (or two) new tunes won't change everything, it might be enough to give the upcoming tour an extra spark of excitement.

Given all that, while we wait for new material I see no real harm with (to quote you ):

"we can stick to "Mick has writer's block" or "Mick writes crap songs while Keith is a genius" or "Keith is arthritic and useless."
Everyone should be happy to continue posting "the album will never happen, bring on page 500" or blaming everything on "family-time or Mick's cameo in a movie."'

Sure some of it might be tacky, but whats the alternative? Call them a bunch of liars, compile a detailed diary of the studio progress, and wait silently for a new album?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-08 02:55 by Hairball.

Date: January 8, 2019 03:25

Ha. As perfect a summation of our respective approaches as I will ever likely find.

Cheers.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 8, 2019 07:26

Hairball

Ronnie is probably getting ready to guest on stage with another band - he's a work horse!

Yeh that hour of playing every couole of months on stage must be really taxing for the Stones work horse.

Rod

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 8, 2019 07:51

Again, who is Georgelicks and why do people place any faith in his musings?

plexi

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 8, 2019 08:23

Rocky Dijon

late April 2017 - Mick, Ronnie, & Charlie record Mick's "solo" tracks in London.

***earlier session with Carl Falk is not reflected. Also, think there's a Mick and Keith session in New York from Autumn 2018 missing.

Nice! Thank you so much for this research/documentation. Excellent work.

Btw .. I agree .. Never suspected it was still in the 'early stages' (I was just upset at the line .. bc that in turn that was meant to say 'Hey... don't expect the album so soon there folks'...). At any rate ... There is no way it is still in the early stages .. Seems as though they are seriously downplaying things so we don't expect anything any time real soon is the deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-08 08:25 by IanBillen.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 8, 2019 09:25

Is there more news about deluxe editions of keef n mick solo albums???the new stones album wont be here before christmas at the earliest i think.
Jeroen

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 8, 2019 11:37

corriecas
Is there more news about deluxe editions of keef n mick solo albums???the new stones album wont be here before christmas at the earliest i think.
Jeroen

I would prefer a deluxe version of Tattoo You

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 8, 2019 12:23

KRiffhard
corriecas
Jeroen

I would prefer a deluxe version of Tattoo You

So do I..hot smiley
Jeroen

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 8, 2019 13:35

timbernardis

See for yourself > [iorr.org]

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 8, 2019 13:37

IanBillen
Rocky Dijon

Nice! Thank you so much for this research/documentation. Excellent work.

Btw .. I agree .. Never suspected it was still in the 'early stages' (I was just upset at the line .. bc that in turn that was meant to say 'Hey... don't expect the album so soon there folks'...). At any rate ... There is no way it is still in the early stages .. Seems as though they are seriously downplaying things so we don't expect anything any time real soon is the deal.

But what makes anyone think that those sessions have produced any songs they are planning on releasing, much less an album? I think don't expect anything any time real soon is the deal, as you say. Maybe a song or two before the tour.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 8, 2019 14:09

Lots of people these days, both within and outside the industry, are very fond of stating "...nobody listens to albums any more " .

This is total b*llocks...but Mick may well believe it.

In any event...the releasing of an album is certainly not viewed as something that has the same importance that it used to have.

In short...we're probably a lot more concerned about it than they are grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-08 14:54 by Spud.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: January 8, 2019 15:12

Spud
Lots of people these days, both within and outside the industry, are very fond of stating "...nobody listens to albums any more " .

In any event...the releasing of an album is certainly not viewed as something that has the same importance that it used to have.

In short...we're probably a lot more concerned about it than they are grinning smiley

After a 14 year wait it certainly has significant importance to the band and their fans, especially at their ages. can they still deliver ? how will it be received ? now more than ever the world will be interested in the result of 4 years in the making. It's a story in itself.
This will probably be the last ever studio album of originals from the Stones, that means a lot.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 8, 2019 15:22

But it's not the bread & butter any more ...

I'm not saying that they don't want to make an album ...and one they can be proud of .
[I believe that the delays are maybe partly because they do want to give us something worthwhile] .

I'm just saying that it's maybe not quite so much the big deal that it is to many of us.

If it were, they'd have gotten off their backsides and finished it !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-08 16:02 by Spud.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 8, 2019 15:50

Spud
But it's not the bread & butter any more ...

I'm not saying that they don't want to make an album ...and one they can be proud of .
[I believe that the delays are maybe partly because they do want to give us something worthwhile] .

I'm just saying that it's maybe not quite so much the big deal that it is to many of us.

No, of course in the scheme of things, it isn't a big deal. It will sell of course, and make more profit for the record label than most of their labels releases. But compared to new product by, say Adele or Ed Sheeran, they just aren't in the same league.
Doesn't matter, Dylan has never been a huge seller, but are HIS fans bothered? Doubt it.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 8, 2019 16:00

When the album comes out it will be a big deal. The Stones organization are not dummies, in fact they are more in touch with the industry now than when Bigger Bang got released.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 8, 2019 16:05

the Stones are a prestige brand. Universal uses the Stones as much as its beneficial for the Stones.. financials are important but with a band like the Stones its all about the status isn't it?....

Date: January 8, 2019 16:27

timbernardis

plexi

He is the Promised One foretold by the Prophets of Old.

Apart from that, anything he gets wrong is because he was fed misinformation or plans change. He's not just making things up for attention.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 8, 2019 16:45

timbernardis

plexi

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 8, 2019 16:51

keithsman
This will probably be the last ever studio album of originals from the Stones, that means a lot.

Definitely a fair observation...and a bit of a gut punch.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 8, 2019 17:21

I don't know why they even bother they are clearly not into making new music. A Bigger Bang they seem to just throw together as fast as they could and then barley play any of it on tour. Most of my friends who are Stones fans are pretty much done with them as a current act. Stones seem to be fine with just playing their hits and charging a lot of money to see them. They are kind of everything that Mick says would never become

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 8, 2019 18:30

They are obviously moving at a different pace, and we are having a more difficult time with it than they are.....thank goodness for Blue and Lonesome!!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 8, 2019 19:26

Spud

Then the question arise: why the biggest rock and roll brand do give a f damn to these b*llocks, be them either true or false it sdoes not matter, as if their life as a band depended on the "market response" and they were not in a position to do just whatever they please instead, as they truly are in the end (or should be...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-08 19:27 by maumau.

Date: January 8, 2019 21:25

Rokyfan

But what makes anyone think that those sessions have produced any songs they are planning on releasing, much less an album? I think don't expect anything any time real soon is the deal, as you say. Maybe a song or two before the tour.

Agree, and even that would be a small miracle. And if you add up the total amount of time they've actually spent in the studio working over the last few years (together, alone, etc.), you can probably narrow it down to a very small amount of time. While the above timeline of recording sessions might look somewhat promising on the surface, beneath it all are many detours including the wall they hit. Just like with any artist (audio, visual, etc.), there's highs and lows during the creative process, and not every single minute in the studio produces gold. And just as Mick had mentioned, sometimes when he writes/records something, it doesn't sound as promising when he revisits it later, and it ends up being shelved indefinitely. I recall Ronnie saying "start from scratch" some time during this soap opera, along with letting things bake for a while (which could be months or even years). The hope right now is that Keith goes back to the studio in February (he did say "maybe"), and is able to help the band make sense of it all. Maybe he even has a few new "dynamite riffs" to bring to the sessions! Beyond that and with any luck, hopefully they can focus and narrow it down to a new song or two prior to the upcoming tour.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...251252253254255256257258259260261...LastNext
Current Page: 256 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1977
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home