Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...248249250251252253254255256257258...LastNext
Current Page: 253 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 2, 2019 09:25

You act as if BLUE AND LONESOME was a huge commercial and critical disappointment just two years ago. It wasn't. FROM THE VAULT and the like are aimed at the loopy diehard fans like us. That's the sort of release that is hit and miss. The rest is for us + normal people who don't worry that it's January 2nd and there isn't an update yet. The same demographic that made the EXILE ON MAIN STREE reissue a success and have seen surprisingly strong and consistent sales for Universal over much of the past decade. Their career may be just about over, but their commercial clout continues.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 2, 2019 09:34

Okey, when I talk about a new album I do not consider blues covers or re-issues. That's another ball game. Personally? I could do with or without a new RS album.
It doesn't matter that much anymore to me. I'm sorry...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 2, 2019 09:53

I'll settle for a new original single - anything beyond that might be expecting too much considering it's been 14 years since they could muster up a full album of originals.
Sure they've spent some time on this supposed latest album (very little time that is), yet they don't have much to show for it - at least not much that any of them are fully happy with.

"most of these "songs" are loose jams or raw demos...neither, the band/Don Was or Universal, is on board of this stuff" - georgelicks

Can't imagine Ronnie's short stint in the studio with Mick last month could have possibly changed any of that, but maybe Keith can fix some of it up if he goes back to the studio in February - IF he goes back to the studio.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 2, 2019 09:56

Well. am looking forward with curiousity what the New album is gonna be like. Which outtakes will they have worked on?? Hope its the strong outtakes and not the filler ones.
I am sure there will be some Great Strong tracks on the album, and i will be Happy.
Jeroen

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 2, 2019 12:28

corriecas
Well. am looking forward with curiousity what the New album is gonna be like. Which outtakes will they have worked on?? Hope its the strong outtakes and not the filler ones.
I am sure there will be some Great Strong tracks on the album, and i will be Happy.
Jeroen

They have enough good outtakes to make other 3/4 projects à la Tattoo You!!!
The best 10/12 reworked outtakes from previous sessions...i think would be a great album.

Date: January 2, 2019 12:30

KRiffhard
corriecas
Jeroen

The best 10/12 reworked outtakes from previous sessions...i think would be a great album.

Think so too. Keep our fingers crossed.
Jeroen

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 2, 2019 16:17

Nothing new to report until mid February at least, the whole band is on vacations right now, Keith looks very happy on the caribean is seems.

Mick and Ronnie were on the studio during 3 days on December doing some work and listening stuff, Mick brought up more demos/ideas too.

Nobody on Universal is expecting nothing new during the first quarterly, actually no one is holding breath anymore, the whole thing will be done eventually, late 2019 or next year, no deadline anymore.

Date: January 2, 2019 16:23

Thanks for the Updates Georgelicks.
So..maybe around december this year, like Keef has stated.
Jeroen

Date: January 2, 2019 16:44

I really do hope the Stones give us one last album. I am already grateful that they did "Blue & Lonesome" because it is a much better final statement on their career than "Bigger Bang". Still, it would be great to hear one more set of originals. Ad I do think that no matter what Jagger says; how hard he tries to shake off history and context, that he is well aware that this would be the final album; their epilogue. So you don't want to go out on a whimper. On the other hand it is impossible to consciously create a grand exit. Impossible.

Maybe that is part of why they are getting hung up. So when listening to new tracks, there could be more at play. Where they don't just say "no that track isn't very good", but more like "that track isn't good enough".
One thing I do try to keep in mind that these songs won't be 14 years better than anything else. More likely it will just be the latest batch of new cuts. When they're ready. Hope they don't run out of time.

"Always hate nostalgia
Living in the past
No use getting misty eyed
It all screamed by so fast"

That's Jagger in "Too Far Gone". Just heard the song the other day. He really nails it down. Love that line "it all screamed by so fast".

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 2, 2019 18:26

georgelicks
Nothing new to report until mid February at least, the whole band is on vacations right now, Keith looks very happy on the caribean is seems.

Mick and Ronnie were on the studio during 3 days on December doing some work and listening stuff, Mick brought up more demos/ideas too.

Nobody on Universal is expecting nothing new during the first quarterly, actually no one is holding breath anymore, the whole thing will be done eventually, late 2019 or next year, no deadline anymore.

Thanks George. Close this thread...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: January 2, 2019 18:47

Date: October 25, 2018 16:26

bv
It seems they will do another studio effort this year. Aiming for a spring release, before the North America tour 2019.

Word on Universal is about an early single release, maybe late January or February, then 2 more singles in April/May and the full album in late May or early June.

...a change of plan sad smiley

Date: January 2, 2019 19:07

A change is gonna come..or a woman.
Dont know
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-02 19:08 by corriecas.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 2, 2019 20:13

Stoneage
Is the market screaming after a new Stones album in 2019?

Depends on one's perspective. The market as such certainly isn't screaming for any particular new release by anyone. On the other hand, if we take the market to include those folks here and elsewhere who are desparately waiting for the new album, then yes, the market is screaming for it.

georgelicks

So indeed at least something is happening, which I consider still better than nothing at all. Also, it doesn't seem that Mick has run out of ideas (which I wouldn't have thought anyway). At the same time it is clear that when (or if ever) the album will be ready is an entirely different matter.

Stoneage
no deadline anymore.

As things stand, this seems like a more realistic approach.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 2, 2019 20:41

KRiffhard
corriecas
Jeroen

I have my doubts. Exile (and to a certain extent Metamorphosis) more or less cleaned up their best 1968 to 1971 leftovers, by the time Exile and Sticky deluxe were released, one could sense that the air was getting thin considering this period. Tattoo You made use of some of the best 70's outtakes, starting in 1973. Then we had Some Girls Deluxe.

Not counting covers like Drift Away or For Your Precious Love and the like, there may be some true nuggets left like Scarlet and Some Girls-era stuff. Since then, judging from the surfaced outtakes since the 80's, the air was getting increasingly thinner if one is really honest and not carried away by the experience of listening to "forbidden fruits".

Anyway, considering from what I read here and what I hear from my sources, I get more and more the impression that they're not working with the next/final album in mind. Instead they constantly (well...over the years) try out and record any new material they have as well as trying to make sense of all the (promising) loose ends they have in their vaults - with their foreseeable end as a live band in mind. Of course all this material will end up on albums one day, and I consciously write "albums" here, the plural form - just not the one "great final album" we're led to believe they're working on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-02 20:43 by retired_dog.

Date: January 2, 2019 23:08

So what keeps them from putting out one such album now as they are still touring. The whole business sure isn't what it used to be in the 70s but a tour and a "new" (in whatever reading) album might well support one another.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 2, 2019 23:10

Drudging this up because it still nags at me. I just don't quite buy what we're being fed simply because it doesn't add up with what came before. There's more to it than what they're claiming.

[iorr.org]

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 2, 2019 23:56

Rocky Dijon
Drudging this up because it still nags at me. I just don't quite buy what we're being fed simply because it doesn't add up with what came before. There's more to it than what they're claiming.

[iorr.org]

Well, one thing can be taken for granted: If, after repeated studio sessions over the last couple of years, all they could come up with are just a couple of loose jams and rough sketches, they would realize that economically, it just does not make any sense to further force the impossible: A great final album that does their legacy justice. They would have pulled the plug on such a project by now - to stop the waste of money and, given their age, precious time.

So the fact alone that they're still working on "new recordings" is a strong indicator that at least something ist still cooking, whatever this "something"
really is.

For now, it does not look like they're still hunting after that "final great album", it looks more like the scenario I described above - which would make at least some sense. Otherwise, it's still possible that they're feeding the public and their "connections" with wrong information in order to add some drama to the whole story (and take away some pressure from them).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-03 00:00 by retired_dog.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 3, 2019 00:16

georgelicks

Thanks for the update ..

2019 or 'next year' .. ? I am starting not even to consider this work for an album anymore .. It's simply them (more like Mick, Keith and now Ronnie) spending a few days in the studio now and again .. Every few months ..

There's no plan .. there is no nothing. Not expecting them to spend weeks on end in the studio but .. Gotta say .. sure is a Sad way to work on an album.

And as far as them still vacationing .. It's a good thing .. I mean hell .. they work so much and so consistently ...they were once again neglecting and placing their 'family time' in great jeopardy.

Posted by: Shesarainbow ()
Date: January 3, 2019 01:07

I’ve been playing the new album waiting game every year since 1973, when Goats Head came out. Late 70s/early 80s they returned to form, as well as the mid 90s. Nothing amazing, but enough to keep us all jacked up with expectations. Sounds like they have enough interest and desire left in the tank for one more album, but the fact that they won’t all get together, and really get after it, evidently not taking it taking it too seriously, kind of worries me.

If this is truly their last studio album they must know what’s at stake, but I think at this point in their lives they are very content, with not much left to prove, and happy with where they are.

Of course they still continue to tour and keep us all engaged, with the mass re-releases (which I mostly buy!) and Vault releases every year, so they’re hard-core base remains solid.

I hope that I am pleasantly surprised when the album does come out, maybe later this year or next? However I think the expectations need to be dialed back a bit (or a lot). I hope our minds are blown, and they can go out as the true champs that they are. However I fear we’re going to get another Bridges, or Big Bang, which at the end of the day isn’t that bad for a bunch of 70-year-old aging
rockers.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 3, 2019 01:15

i wish they would do a tattoo you type album, they have plenty outtakes to work on, it would then be new songs even if they started them 30-50 years ago. it wont happen though.

Date: January 3, 2019 01:18

Some people don't get the whole "semi retired" band status, they only work 3 months a year, that's all.

While some folks here are asking for daily updates, they enjoy life and family until the next tour.

In the past it was Keith fighting to get the band in the studio to record and it looks like he is not interested anymore, someday the whole album will get done, meanwhile he's happy with his family in the caribean.

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 3, 2019 02:23

georgelicks
Some people don't get the whole "semi retired" band status, they only work 3 months a year, that's all.

While some folks here are asking for daily updates, they enjoy life and family until the next tour.

In the past it was Keith fighting to get the band in the studio to record and it looks like he is not interested anymore, someday the whole album will get done, meanwhile he's happy with his family in the caribean.

[www.instagram.com]

Good for them. They have nothing to prove, nothing at stake on the musical front. They will be remembered as all-time legends without regard to whatever they put out, if anything. On the other hand, who can blame them for wanting to spend as much time with their families as they can, while they still can.

Re: Another Stones studio album coming up?
Date: January 3, 2019 07:38

georgelicks
Rocky Dijon
@georgelicks, any word if Steve Jordan, Carl Falk, and Matt Clifford will have production credits on the new album alongside Don Was?

Very likely.

There have been times when this album seemed "almost done" (15 songs recorded, a new single in feb./mar., credits..) and then it becomes "loose jams or raw demos" and last of their priorities.
eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-03 07:42 by KRiffhard.

Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Date: January 3, 2019 12:04

KRiffhard
There have been times when this album seemed "almost done" (15 songs recorded, a new single in feb./mar., credits..) and then it becomes "loose jams or raw demos" and last of their priorities.eye rolling smiley

There was only a brief moment when one could hope the album was almost done, most of the time it was reported as in progress, albeit with not much further progress happening, and dwindling hopes for it to take place.

Here are some excerpts (mainly) from georgelick’s reports from the past ~3 years. In May 2016, the estimate was 60-70% done, which is simply somewhere in the middle of it and finishing it could take another two weeks or forever. georgelicks was still more optimistic as to when the album would be released. His estimate then was recorded 10-12 originals in some state or another.

georgelicks
Date: May 15, 2016 02:44

…, they are working on a double album, CD 1 of blues covers (already done) and a second album of originals (about 60-70% done too).
Final recordings and mixes on June, first single on late September, second single on October and album release on late October or early November.
georgelicks
Date: May 5, 2016 03:35

They recorded 2 songs on 3 days on August 2012, we can guess than about 10-12 songs were recorded during the two weeks on December plus 11-12 covers recorded on the first 2 days.
If they record another 2 weeks on June/July plus a week of mixing is enough time, they WON'T SPEND more time on the studio, ….

Roughly a year later we got first reports that what had been recorded up to that point didn’t meet everybody’s expectations, or wasn’t quite to everybody’s liking, respectively. There was still optimism regarding the release of a single, but at the same time it was made clear that one might have to be patient.

georgelicks
Date: June 23, 2017 05:30

The band is still working on the album, at least 12 new songs were recorded during the past 18 months but it looks as some of the material lacks 'focus on it', people at Universal talked about some good stuff and some uneven songs.

There's no pressure at all to get the thing ready and done yet, maybe we can get a new single released during the early fall, that's the rumour in Universal.

It was only for a brief moment in July 2017 that it looked like the bulk of the work was done. And maybe it indeed was, and only the band decided to start all over. Note, by the way, that in all our misery we were still lucky to have been spared a compilation of (then) recent live duets … LOL

georgelicks
Date: July 1, 2017 20:12

… And about the album, I'm told that it's mostly done with mixing and overdubs left, but more than likely it will be released next year, ...

… About the live album, a duets album from 2012-2013 was compiled but never released due to contractual problems with some of the guests. It had the duets with Katy Perry, Dave Grohl, Tom Waits, John Fogerty, Lady Gaga, John Mayer, Eric Clapton, Taylor Swift, The Black Keys and Gwen Stefani among others. Too many people, too many diferent record labels, maybe some day, who knows...

The Daily Mail then raised the number to about 15 tracks that sent the Universal execs through only loosely defined emotional states …

KRiffhard
Date: July 1, 2017 13:02

"They were experimenting in the studio earlier this year, and everything just gelled. They ended up with around 15 tracks which they have cut down to album-length, and when the label execs heard it they were thrilled"

georgelicks made things more precise:

georgelicks
Date: July 1, 2017 20:28

Key people at Universal was surprised with the new stuff, some great songs, classic Stones and all that but also some rare stuff, not typical Rolling Stones material, rare, experimental songs. "Weird beats" was the word.
From inside information, we can expect an updated "Bridges To Babylon" type record.

Personally, I must admit that I’d also like to hear the "rare stuff" with "weird beats".

In Fall (2018) then, also georgelicks turned fully pessimistic, hoping for an EP at best:

georgelicks
<edit>Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 30, 2018 01:19</edit>

The band has over 20 "songs" recorded over the past 2-3 years, but it seems that most of these "songs" are loose jams or raw demos, we can guess that the stuff is very much like the Licks sessions leaked earlier this year and neither, the band/Don Was or Universal, is on board of this stuff, uneven was the word on Universal last year and even Ronnie said something like starting fresh again.

Yet, we can expect a couple of new songs right before the new tour, maybe even an EP of 3-4 songs if they are pleassed with some of the stuff around, that's the best we can hope.

Yet, if the material is in a state comparable to the Licks sessions, they could indeed finish the album in a very short time. After all, the Licks sessions are complete songs with still incomplete lyrics and not just loose jams, and Mick is reported to be able to produce lyrics almost on the spot, if necessary. But note again, that’s only georgelick’s guess. And in real life things don’t seem to be that easy.

I think we should keep in mind that we know next to nothing, apart from some cryptic remarks by the band and what georgelicks hears from his man in Universal. Even if we speculate about something for 200 pages, it still remains a speculation.

As for the band’s lack of focus and/or interest, if someone here is good at long-distance hypnosis, this seems like a good time to get active … winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-03 21:53 by doitywoik.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 3, 2019 12:28

It occurs to me that they could possibly about a year ago have cobbled together something they'd get away with .

Having not done that, it's now a case of ..."Oh Sh*t...have we yet got something that's going to have been worth waiting for all this time ? "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-03 12:42 by Spud.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 3, 2019 12:43

Remember when Bowie surprised us all?!

The Next Day by David Bowie Surprise!

Will The Stones drop us a surprise too?
Tomorrow is always the next day...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-03 13:00 by Kurt.

Date: January 3, 2019 12:59

David was always about surprises and renewal. The Stones are not..are they???
Jeroen

Date: January 3, 2019 13:26

Bowie only had to compromise with himself but not with Mick or Keith.

Date: January 3, 2019 13:40

Kurt
Remember when Bowie surprised us all?!

The Next Day by David Bowie Surprise!

Will The Stones drop us a surprise too?
Tomorrow is always the next day...

I don't think so...it's impossible!
This new album is permanently at "early stages"!
This could be the title.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-03 14:14 by KRiffhard.

Date: January 3, 2019 14:33

corriecas
David was always about surprises and renewal. The Stones are not..are they???
Jeroen

Absolutely NOT
Jeroen

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...248249250251252253254255256257258...LastNext
Current Page: 253 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1729
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home