Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...245246247248249250251252253254255...LastNext
Current Page: 250 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 26, 2018 19:46

IanBillen
Hairball
Nice website Ian. thumbs up

Hoping for a single prior to the tour - four months to go - at the rate they're going, is it even possible?
For most any other artist, yes. But with the Stones? Hard to say after all the delays and detours, etc. in the making of this new album, but there's always hope. thumbs up

doity woik
The lack of focus hitherto is meanwhile obvious. I rather tend to believe rumours about varying degrees of quality of what was recorded earlier ("uneven/unbalanced" or so), i.e. a few good ones, a few fillers, some loose jams, and a few that sound like a dozen other ones. And very little finished. In the end we are certainly better off if they take their time (and perhaps apply some quality control) rather than serve us a halfbaked bunch. But even taking one's time means that at some point you gotta do something.

Yes, take their sweet time if it means quality over trash, but at this point I'd be happy to hear a cover of Frère Jacques - just in time for the tour!

Thank you for checking the website out. If given the choice between a single or wait until the album I'd wait. I know your theory though ..: Give us something because I can't rely on the album being finished .. so I'll take what I can get if it means ya-all are actually going to go through with it.'

I truly understand your mind-set and I still can't believe they are going to tour The States yet again with no new album. As you know I was truly / 100% convinced they wouldn't let that happen w/o an album to go with it. I think that was the plan initially .. but they were not yet satisfied? My thing is this .. hey guys .. when ya-all announced this thing there was still time left to finish it. I can see they did not want to work straight through .. I figured they would tour next late summer and early fall and release the album. Wonder why they chose the Spring?

The fact is Ian they really don't care much anymore about releasing new/original music- at least it seems that way to me.
They like to talk about it as if they're still a proper functioning band, but they're now just looking at the easiest way to make alot of money - hence the oldies/nostalgia touring. If they were truly devoted to their craft, they could have released about a dozen albums since A Bigger Bang (obviously an exaggeration, but not really). Instead they pretend they care about the "quality" of this supposed new album as if it's their last, but that just seems to be an excuse to procrastinate and focus on touring, family time, vacation time, movie roles, etc., etc., etc. I'm not complaining as they owe me nothing, but it gets to the point when the talk is cheap and action speaks louder than words...or like the boy who cried wolf: "hey everybody, we're working on a new album and it's coming along great"!...yeah righty-o. At least Keith finally has the balls to fess up recently that it's still a loooong way off, and whether he's full of BS or not, there's probably alot of truth to what he says. Meanwhile, all we/I should expect (or hope for) is a new single prior to the upcoming tour, but something's telling me even that might be trying to squeezing blood from a stone (pun intended).

Meanwhile, listening to Let it Bleed and imaging what it must have been like to get a brand new album from the Stones of the highest quality back then (I was only six at the time of it's release). The last truly great album imo was Tattoo You and before that Some Girls, and thankfully I was able to experience the thrill of both of those - lord knows nothing since has been of a similar quality.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 26, 2018 21:24

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball
Nice website Ian. thumbs up

Hoping for a single prior to the tour - four months to go - at the rate they're going, is it even possible?
For most any other artist, yes. But with the Stones? Hard to say after all the delays and detours, etc. in the making of this new album, but there's always hope. thumbs up

doity woik
The lack of focus hitherto is meanwhile obvious. I rather tend to believe rumours about varying degrees of quality of what was recorded earlier ("uneven/unbalanced" or so), i.e. a few good ones, a few fillers, some loose jams, and a few that sound like a dozen other ones. And very little finished. In the end we are certainly better off if they take their time (and perhaps apply some quality control) rather than serve us a halfbaked bunch. But even taking one's time means that at some point you gotta do something.

Yes, take their sweet time if it means quality over trash, but at this point I'd be happy to hear a cover of Frère Jacques - just in time for the tour!

Thank you for checking the website out. If given the choice between a single or wait until the album I'd wait. I know your theory though ..: Give us something because I can't rely on the album being finished .. so I'll take what I can get if it means ya-all are actually going to go through with it.'

I truly understand your mind-set and I still can't believe they are going to tour The States yet again with no new album. As you know I was truly / 100% convinced they wouldn't let that happen w/o an album to go with it. I think that was the plan initially .. but they were not yet satisfied? My thing is this .. hey guys .. when ya-all announced this thing there was still time left to finish it. I can see they did not want to work straight through .. I figured they would tour next late summer and early fall and release the album. Wonder why they chose the Spring?

The fact is Ian they really don't care much anymore about releasing new/original music- at least it seems that way to me.
They like to talk about it as if they're still a proper functioning band, but they're now just looking at the easiest way to make alot of money - hence the oldies/nostalgia touring. If they were truly devoted to their craft, they could have released about a dozen albums since A Bigger Bang (obviously an exaggeration, but not really). Instead they pretend they care about the "quality" of this supposed new album as if it's their last, but that just seems to be an excuse to procrastinate and focus on touring, family time, vacation time, movie roles, etc., etc., etc. I'm not complaining as they owe me nothing, but it gets to the point when the talk is cheap and action speaks louder than words...or like the boy who cried wolf: "hey everybody, we're working on a new album and it's coming along great"!...yeah righty-o. At least Keith finally has the balls to fess up recently that it's still a loooong way off, and whether he's full of BS or not, there's probably alot of truth to what he says. Meanwhile, all we/I should expect (or hope for) is a new single prior to the upcoming tour, but something's telling me even that might be trying to squeezing blood from a stone (pun intended).

Meanwhile, listening to Let it Bleed and imaging what it must have been like to get a brand new album from the Stones of the highest quality back then (I was only six at the time of it's release). The last truly great album imo was Tattoo You and before that Some Girls, and thankfully I was able to experience the thrill of both of those - lord knows nothing since has been of a similar quality.

As to the bold quote of yours which I referenced above = Thank GOODNESS! everyone came around to my thought on this .. (not saying you weren't on board in the past). It's like .. sure.. I understand you are in your mid 70's .. I understand you dont owe me or anyone anything .. BUT in a sense they <do> based on a few million dollar album contract they took out, a record producer the label is paying, a notion they still feel as though they are a fully functional act and not an oldies routine and especially this 'Yeah ... we have an album we are working on... going good .. more work on the album ... more work on the album we are making .. we want it really good .. one is coming' .. Then we get ' Oh yeah no clue when it will come .. Still the early stages. After a while (3 plus years) .. Ya gotta say .. (and as you brought up)

>> Keith (and company) .. 'Talk is Cheap' my friend .. remember? .. Cut the bullshit mates .. do it or not.. but dont constantly tease us about it grinning smiley. The Stones sort of been pissing on our legs and telling us it's raining Ha.

It's garbage -

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-26 21:31 by IanBillen.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 26, 2018 21:42

IanBillen

As to the board .. Thank GOODNESS everyone came around to my thought on this .. (not saying you weren't on board in the past). It's like .. sure.. I understand you are in your mid 70's .. I understand you dont owe me or anyone anything .. BUT in a sense they based on a few million dollar album contract they took out, a record producer the label is paying, a notion they still feel as though they are a fully functional act and not an oldies routine and especially this 'Yeah ... we have an album we are working on... going good .. more work on the album ... more work on the album we are making .. we want it really good .. one is coming' .. Then we get ' Oh yeah no clue when it will come .. Still the early stages. After a while (3 plus years) .. Ya gotta say .. (and as you brought up)

>> Keith (and company) .. 'Talk is Cheap' my friend .. remember? .. Cut the bullshit mates .. do it or not.. but dont constantly tease us about it grinning smiley. The Stones sort of been pissing on our legs and telling us it's raining Ha.

It's garbage -

The notion that their business contracts have an impact on what fans are "owed" is false.
The responses to the questions regarding potential new music are just that. Responses. It's not like they bring it up in interviews... a far cry from "constantly teasing"..
They've obviously worked on new material over the last few years and are not ready or willing to release it yet for whatever reason(s), which speaking of entitlement, they are entitled to.

Date: December 26, 2018 21:42

Ian Billen

"It's Garbage"

Another contender for album title! grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-26 21:49 by Hairball.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 26, 2018 21:50

It's been 14 years or so since the last album of originals. They've been trying to put out a follow-up album of originals for a few years now, and there is obviously something that is missing from the creative mix.

Instead, they realized the material they were warming up with sounded good, so they said "let's put this out in the meantime". A lot of people enjoyed it, it had some acclaim and I'm sure they were pleased by it, not least of which it bought them a bit of time.

With all of that said, if we get something new, and I think we will, it is likely to be the last, unless for some reason it is a monster block-buster seller which would no doubt thrill the band and motivate them to put more out.

Anything short of that means that whatever we get now, if anything, is it.

I don't think we should complain too loudly about that either...as his been opined already, we're owed nothing. Their musical legacy is fabulously intact.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: December 27, 2018 01:32

I have a vision that the reason the album is delayed is that they want to 'live' with it a little bit longer and really explore the songs. "Break them in" so to speak. I think there's a united effort to make this batch of songs the very best it can be, and I think us Stones fans will be happy with the result.

I have another vision where they ALSO release a live version of the new album, like they did for Sticky Fingers!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 27, 2018 01:48

So, now that we reached page 250 of this thread, they may release the album …. grinning smiley spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

IanBillen
Look I know they arent as young as Springtime but mates..

At first I misread this as “as young as Springsteen” … spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Anyway, I’m hesitant to accept age as an excuse. Neil is roughly their age and as productive as ever, Bob Z is older than them and at least gives us tons of covers (and hopefully also some originals again), Leonard Cohen had quite a productive run in his seventies, and in the “classical” realm, Elliott Carter was still busily composing in his 104th year (and not his worst stuff, check out e.g. this CD [www.amazon.com]). In Jazz, Wayne Shorter, at 85, just released 3 CDs with new stuff, and so on.

If I were a sarcastic I’d say that Keith lacks booze and blow, and Mick lacks Keith’s consent …

Hairball

After all those years of early stages also I wonder if we weren’t better off with one or two songs in our hands than twenty in the bush.

But I’m not so fond of the single-first idea because I fear they might again push out a half-baked quickie of something that might have been a good or great track if worked on properly. I still believe that Doom And Gloom would have been a great album opener but would have needed a bit more work.

Hehe, the Frère Jacques video in my mental cinema: Mick singing “Frère Jacques” in his best Briton French, and Keith croaking “dormez-vous”, with his hand visibly resting on the knife in his belt … grinning smiley

IanBillen
... I still can't believe they are going to tour The States yet again with no new album.

I'm envious of your optimism! smiling smiley I rather fear they no longer give a damn.

Irix
IanBillen
Wonder why they chose the Spring?
To have a few months break afterwards - and then touring Asia/Oceania in Feb/Mar 2020 .... only a guess.

A tour of Asia/Oceania to premiere/support the new album? Interesting idea!

jahisnotdead
I have another vision where they ALSO release a live version of the new album, like they did for Sticky Fingers!

What live album was there following Sticky Fingers? If I’m not mistaken, the next live album after Sticky was Love You Live? -- If you mean the Fonda Theatre from 2015, which was recorded 44 years later, we might have to wait for that until 2064 or so …

Date: December 27, 2018 02:56

Lol - there's lots of good stuff in that post doitywoik - elevating the holiday spirits! smileys with beer

250 pages...my God I never really thought this milestone would come before the new album, but alas - there's still nothing!
Looking forward to page 500...maybe by then we'll be discussing some new original music? Just in time for the 60 and Counting tour...GRRRRR II.

doitywoik
But I’m not so fond of the single-first idea because I fear they might again push out a half-baked quickie

In Stones talk that equates to five years!
I'd rather have a full complete album as well, but don't think that's happening anytime soon.
Best to hope for a single, or maybe an EP, but a fully completed album...? I don't think so...not until page 500! sad smileywinking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-27 03:02 by Hairball.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: December 27, 2018 03:45

2064? That's perfect! A live album to coincide with the new studio LP currently being 'worked on'....should be up to J/R standards by then. Of course we will all be dead but....YAY! new Stones!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 27, 2018 03:52

diverseharmonics
2064? That's perfect! A live album to coincide with the new studio LP currently being 'worked on'....should be up to J/R standards by then. Of course we will all be dead but....YAY! new Stones!

at that point the new album will be automatically downloaded to the digital implant in our brain. i won't even need new speakers for my stereo.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 27, 2018 04:36

250 pages is quite a milestone. 5 pages of information about the actual work-in-progress and 245 pages of hanging around.

Date: December 27, 2018 07:27

Hairball
Best to hope for a single, or maybe an EP, but a fully completed album...? I don't think so...not until page 500! sad smileywinking smiley

Welllll, I think we have less of a problem making it to page 500 than they have completing the album. winking smiley

I’d certainly like an EP better than a single (unless the EP too consists only of two songs plus 4 remixes by people who are so up-to-date I never heard of them ….).

treaclefingers
at that point the new album will be automatically downloaded to the digital implant in our brain. i won't even need new speakers for my stereo.

Problem is, by then our brains will be owned by Applezon and if we want to access them, we will have to pay …

diverseharmonics
Of course we will all be dead but....YAY! new Stones!

Yes, we, but Mick will still run up and down some stage!

Rocky Dijon
250 pages is quite a milestone. 5 pages of information about the actual work-in-progress and 245 pages of hanging around.

Optimist! LOL

But - if they can hang around on tours instead of getting it done in the studio, we shouldn’t we hang here around as well? Kind of a collaborative group&fan effort, in a way … grinning smiley

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: December 27, 2018 10:22

I think the new album will be a ballet related album, perhaps like a musical.

winking smiley

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 27, 2018 15:27

wupperstein

winking smiley

p. 250 and you win! Ballet set to the music of the Glimmer Twins. Who knew that's what Mick has been working on?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 27, 2018 15:34

Rokyfan
wupperstein

winking smiley

p. 250 and you win! Ballet set to the music of the Glimmer Twins. Who knew that's what Mick has been working on?

well, most ballet dancers are young women, so i am sure Mick is working on them.
Jeroen

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 27, 2018 15:46

Rocky Dijon

Haha...I see what you did here, 25x5 ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 27, 2018 16:40

Mr. Watts thanks you for the acknowledgement.

Date: December 28, 2018 00:26

corriecas
Rokyfan
wupperstein

winking smiley

well, most ballet dancers are young women, so i am sure Mick is working on them.
Jeroen

Moves like Jagger private lecture?

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 28, 2018 06:27

Hairball
Ian Billen

"It's Garbage"

Another contender for album title! grinning smiley

Damn him!!!!!!!

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: December 28, 2018 18:27

There is one thing that keeps coming back to me about this forthcoming album that just doesn't ring true. The band were constantly giving the impression in interviews that they had recorded some good sessions and that the album was on its way, i got the impression it was going to be released before the 2019 tour.
Then out of the blue we received coordinated interviews from Mick and Keith last month that gave the impression it was no where near finished, and that it would probably take another 12 months for completion.
The other strange thing was Keith saying it would more than likely be finished this time next year, i mean since when does it take a year to make an album, especially one that has a lot of sessions already in the can.

Can anyone explain this change of attitude from the glimmers and can anyone help with what caused this change.

Edit.
One other thing just spring to mind, and that is how eager iorr Stones fans are for a new album, when you consider we are 7 pages short of the thread for Crosseyed Heart at page 257.
I really think that if the boys can settle their differences this album will sell very well, even more than B&L, especially if they come up with another Start Me Up type single, the Stones could set the world on fire one more time, if they could just get their shit together and get over themselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-28 18:37 by keithsman.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 28, 2018 18:41

keithsman
...i mean since when does it take a year to make an album, especially one that has a lot of sessions already in the can.

Can anyone explain this change of attitude from the glimmers and can anyone help with what caused this change.

I can. No motivation. What is the point, really? (other than fans like you/me/etc. dying to have it). They make too much $$ doing the tours & playing the same songs. That seems to appease the masses.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 28, 2018 18:48

doitywoik

Charlie - don't know, he probably makes more money with his horses (and doesn't have to make up for expensive divorces), but studio work in a steady place is possibly less of a strain for his back than yet another tour.

Charlie is all about horses. Horses at home and war horses at job... Probably the latter ones are needed to have afford for the first ones.

- Doxa

Date: December 28, 2018 18:52

LeonidP
keithsman
...i mean since when does it take a year to make an album, especially one that has a lot of sessions already in the can.

I can. No motivation. What is the point, really? (other than fans like you/me/etc. dying to have it). They make too much $$ doing the tours & playing the same songs. That seems to appease the masses.

Although what you say it true, it's sad that it ended this way, i mean Mick hasn't been motivated for 14 years, Keith was at least motivated enough to make Crosseyed Heart, and he was clearly motivated to make this Stones album, but something has changed recently, i wonder if Mick taking his two demos and releasing them while he and Keith were making this album was the final nail in the coffin.
It's like Keith said to himself @#$%& it whats the point , life is too short.

Date: December 28, 2018 19:02

IanBillen

1. A clash between Mick & Keith: I think at one point or perhaps at a few junctures they were not on the same page with what direction to take certain material but I think now and for a while things are fine. I am also with you in that I do not think there was any sort of major clash between them such as the strong disagreements that took place on Bridges. We would of got wind of it by now .. (thankfully we haven't).

Or it could be since Keith quit drinking, we don't have any "wind of it" in given interviews... (I guess the last time we heard something tension-like was when Keith sounded a bit angry when asked about Mick being "profilic", and he didn't give a damn about it, but had instead those "three dynamite riffs" - but that seemingly belonged to the times Keith still backed up his feel for interviews with a reasonable consumption of alcohol... He's been so polite since then, not bashing anyone or anything...)

- Doxa

Date: December 28, 2018 19:02

keithsman
LeonidP
keithsman

Although what you say it true, it's sad that it ended this way, i mean Mick hasn't been motivated for 14 years, Keith was at least motivated enough to make Crosseyed Heart, and he was clearly motivated to make this Stones album, but something has changed recently, i wonder if Mick taking his two demos and releasing them while he and Keith were making this album was the final nail in the coffin.
It's like Keith said to himself, Fvck it, whats the point , life is too short.

For all we know what Keith thinks is great material, is being seen by Mick as crap, and visa versa. I mean really ?? what is the point if that's the case.

Date: December 28, 2018 19:05

Doxa
IanBillen

1. A clash between Mick & Keith: I think at one point or perhaps at a few junctures they were not on the same page with what direction to take certain material but I think now and for a while things are fine. I am also with you in that I do not think there was any sort of major clash between them such as the strong disagreements that took place on Bridges. We would of got wind of it by now .. (thankfully we haven't).

Or it could be since Keith quit drinking, we don't have any "wind of it" in given interviews... (I guess the last time we heard something tension-like was when Keith sounded a bit angry when asked about Mick being "profilic", and he didn't give a damn about it, but had instead those "three dynamite riffs" - but that seemingly belonged to the times Keith still backed up his feel for interviews with a reasonable consumption of alcohol... He's been so polite since then, not bashing anyone or anything...)

- Doxa

Absolutely Doxa, sober Keith gives nothing away in interviews, no emotion running wild, another consideration is sober Keith has writers block.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 28, 2018 19:17

I would guess during their greatest productive period the glimmers could not complete a song each day due to Keith's way of recording and playing over the same riff over and over again and getting the whole band together.

Date: December 28, 2018 19:17

keithsman
Doxa
IanBillen

- Doxa

Absolutely Doxa, sober Keith gives nothing away in interviews, no emotion running wild, another consideration is sober Keith has writers block.

We have here in Finland a saying that a truth comes out from the mouth either of a child or a drunk... Since Keith's mouth is now closed we only have Ronnie "Baby Stone" left...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: December 28, 2018 19:32

Doxa
keithsman
Doxa
IanBillen

- Doxa

We have here in Finland a saying that a truth comes out from the mouth either of a child or a drunk... Since Keith's mouth is now closed we only have Ronnie "Baby Stone" left...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Yeah we have the same saying, " out of the mouth's of babes" and " a drunk mind speaks a sober heart" i'm one of those rare people on iorr that loves it when Keith gets drunk and starts bad mouthing everyone, you really get the feel for what's happening within the Stones, well one side of it anyways.
Mick on the other hand would have made an excellent politician, he just doesn't answer a question in a direct way, he just says what he thinks he should say or what he thinks people want to hear, Mick will never reveal his true feelings in an interview, he has always been guarded in that way.
Ronnie though will spill the beans now and then, but unfortunately what he thinks as far as the Stones are concerned is irreverent.

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: December 29, 2018 14:32

I think The boys aren’t in a hurry, because they know this is the last album and they want to make sure that it’s good, there’s no point, after all this time, in rushing something. That’s not meant to be a bad joke, as I know we’ve all waited for a long time for some new material. Nevertheless I think probably having made this record over three or four year period, I guess there have been some particularly intensive and productive times. I think Keith‘s comment in the interview in RS that maybe the tour could be the last one, is the most significant Rolling Stones news that any single Rolling Stone has ever said. I long for epic, imaginative, bold, melody filled album, along the lines of goats head soup, sticky fingers, it’s only rock ‘n’ roll, black and blue.
For me, it’s the epic sweeping music of winter, sway, moonlight mile, time waits for no one, memory motel, laugh I nearly died, far away eyes, let it loose, you can’t always get what you want, salt of the Earth, if you really want to be my friend, jigsaw puzzle, loving cup, shine a light, through and through, moon is up, How can I stop,Following the river, plundered my soul that I hope the album is filled with.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...245246247248249250251252253254255...LastNext
Current Page: 250 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home