Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...241242243244245246247248249250251...LastNext
Current Page: 246 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 14, 2018 18:46

Krzysztof
New four tracks from december 2015 sessions:
- Bad Luck Hideaway
- Fool's Paradise
- Bottom Of My Heart
- Never There

Screen from Martin Elliott - Stones Sessions site

"We'd gone in the studio to start cutting some new songs. Around day three we just hit a wall...and Keith suggested that, to cleanse the creative palette, we played Blue and Lonesome, the Little Walter song" Don Was

Maybe they 'hit a wall' during "Gimme the Cash" (11 dec)!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-14 18:48 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 14, 2018 21:04

From Nzentgraf - 6 songs all in all plus B&L

[www.nzentgraf.de]

151209A 9th - 15th December: London, British Grove Studios, sessions. Producers: Don
Was & The Glimmer Twins. Recording of the upcoming album Blue & Lonesome
(Dec. 11, 14 & 15) and original compositions (Dec. 9 - 11). Incl. (all unverified)
- Bad Luck Hideaway (MJ/KR)
- Bottom Of My Heart (MJ/KR)
- Drive Me Too Hard (MJ/KR)
- Fool's Paradise (MJ/KR)
- Get Out Of My Way (MJ/KR)
- Never There (MJ/KR)
+ Blue & Lonesome-album (see 160407A and 161202A)

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 14, 2018 22:42

mtaylor
From Nzentgraf - 6 songs all in all plus B&L

[www.nzentgraf.de]

151209A 9th - 15th December: London, British Grove Studios, sessions. Producers: Don
Was & The Glimmer Twins. Recording of the upcoming album Blue & Lonesome
(Dec. 11, 14 & 15) and original compositions (Dec. 9 - 11). Incl. (all unverified)
- Get Out Of My Way (MJ/KR)
- Never There (MJ/KR)
+ Blue & Lonesome-album (see 160407A and 161202A)

6 new songs...now they have 12!!
[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 14, 2018 22:47

In fairness, there's over 20 songs, they're just not all finished, apparently.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 14, 2018 22:54

For what its worth, Ive checked the ASCAP website (title search) and these new compositions are not listed (yet).
Maybe can't read too much into that, however, unreleased tracks DO get listed (ie copyrighted). Maybe too premature for that just now.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 15, 2018 01:47

hopkins
not schillid; trust me; not schillid...

no

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 15, 2018 02:05

Rocky Dijon
In fairness, there's over 20 songs, they're just not all finished, apparently.

I'm sure there were / are well over 20 that they started with .. Prolly narrowed it down to 12-20 and now are trying to improve on what songs are there in that pack.

Seems the buzz (approach) this time out is to try and make the songs that are the best of the lot that much better .. versus counting on abundance in order to try to produce more gems. Seems they are trying to improve upon and experiment with different variations / versions of the stronger stuff rather than writing a song .. recording it and trying to write and record another ten more in hopes to get another album worthy track.

Also seems they are trying to let material evolve ... or grow by nipping at them in spurts and at intervals as opposed to grinding on them continuously. Much different than their approach over the last 35 years. Perhaps much different than anything other than what they did in their 68-72 where stuff showed up years down the road on an album or the Tattoo You album where songs were finished over time. However even that approach was spur of the moment in needing an album to tour with. Those two eras would be the most and only similar approach to what they seemingly have going on right now. Is a def change up entirely than anything remotely recent.

As Woody mentioned .. they are 'building the album' .. and he noted the process was interesting. He (or perhaps all of them together) never did it this way .. entirely it seems. Sure... there were a few similar periods in which the recording scenario was along these lines but that was involuntary until crunch time. Perhaps they never did an album quite in this vane, 'entirely speaking' that is (?) ..... Hmmmmmm interesting.

Just my opinion based on reading between the lines and reports.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-15 02:10 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 15, 2018 02:33

Ian Billen
Also seems they are trying to let material evolve ... or grow by nipping at them in spurts and at intervals as opposed to grinding on them continuously.

Considering the little amount of time they spend in the studio - especially together - this slow evolution process is something even Charles Darwin would get impatient with!
But clearly they're in no hurry - as georgelicks stated: "They are old and not inspired anymore", "With a 19 warhorse loaded setlist there's no room or need of new stuff",
and "They are a "brand" not a "band" anymore, a new album is another item to sell and way less important than a t-shirt".

Speaking of which, looking forward to receiving my new black on black Stones shirt - should be here any day now!thumbs up

Date: December 15, 2018 06:27

Hairball
Ian Billen
Also seems they are trying to let material evolve ... or grow by nipping at them in spurts and at intervals as opposed to grinding on them continuously.

Considering the little amount of time they spend in the studio - especially together - this slow evolution process is something even Charles Darwin would get impatient with!
But clearly they're in no hurry - as georgelicks stated: "They are old and not inspired anymore", "With a 19 warhorse loaded setlist there's no room or need of new stuff",
and "They are a "brand" not a "band" anymore, a new album is another item to sell and way less important than a t-shirt".

Speaking of which, looking forward to receiving my new black on black Stones shirt - should be here any day now!thumbs up

Hmmmm I sort of disagree in a light. Seems Mick and Keith have met several times in writing for this ...

and Georgelicks also stated they didn't want this album to be generic and that they wanted / wanted it to be very good of high standards and that they were not willing to settle if the material wasn't that way.

That also came from Georgelicks.

My only issue was they didn't spend much time 'as a band' working on it (as you mentioned 'together')?

at least not tomy knowledge. Sure Charlie claims they did a good handful of seperate sets of sessions but other than that as a band they surely were
not in there a whole heck of a lot. At least that's the way I get it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-15 06:28 by IanBillen.

Date: December 15, 2018 06:45

IanBillen
Hairball
Ian Billen

Hmmmm I sort of disagree in a light. Seems Mick and Keith have met several times in writing for this ...

and Georgelicks also stated they didn't want this album to be generic and that they wanted / wanted it to be very good of high standards and that they were not willing to settle if the material wasn't that way.

My only issue was they didn't spend much time 'as a band' working on it (as you mentioned 'together')?

at least not tomy knowledge. Sure Charlie claims they did a good handful of seperate sets of sessions but other than that as a band they surely were

georgelicks also said:

"There's no need for a full album, but a couple of new songs each year is great IMO, the Stones' album catalog won't get hurt with that, it's not a full album, so I really don't get it.
With only 3-4 days in the studio each year, no more than that, they can record 2 songs quick and simple, just like Doom And Gloom and One More Shot, and release it right before each tour..."

Seeing as they can't seem to complete a full album in it's entirety for whatever reasons, I would tend to agree with georgelicks. One or two new songs prior to the upcoming tour would be great (and better than nothing),
and after that they could continue to record and release completed songs that they're happy with. But in reality, hard to say if they even really care about releasing new music.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 15, 2018 06:54

It's probably more along the lines of how EMOTIONAL RESCUE came about - some sessions, over 2 years, with some covers, quite a few covers.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: December 15, 2018 08:35

- Never There (MJ/KR)

Man, those are some kick-ass titles. If they f- it all up and never complete the album I suppose we'll get to hear it eventually (should we live long enough). Too bad there is no incentive now to get it done in a timely fashion to promote the tour since the tickets are already sold. I'll be there, of course, but I sure would like to hear Bad Luck Hideaway and Fool's Paradise live.

They can't keep this up forever, so maybe they are thinking to take the album on some future leg of the never ending tour or retire from big live gigs and start selling albums for a living. Like the Beatles. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-15 08:36 by Sipuncula.

Date: December 15, 2018 09:59

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball
Ian Billen

georgelicks also said:

"There's no need for a full album, but a couple of new songs each year is great IMO, the Stones' album catalog won't get hurt with that, it's not a full album, so I really don't get it.
With only 3-4 days in the studio each year, no more than that, they can record 2 songs quick and simple, just like Doom And Gloom and One More Shot, and release it right before each tour..."

Seeing as they can't seem to complete a full album in it's entirety for whatever reasons, I would tend to agree with georgelicks. One or two new songs prior to the upcoming tour would be great (and better than nothing),
and after that they could continue to record and release completed songs that they're happy with. But in reality, hard to say if they even really care about releasing new music.

Doom & Gloom was 'ok' .. but it wore off quickly. Wasn't a huge fan of One More Shot.

Both songs were recorded in a four or five day period. Good to hear The Stones again .. but the songs were not 100% album material IMO.

I do not want a couple songs a year. I'd rather have one album every six or seven years than two or three songs each year. I enjoy complete works. Albums seem to have something to them in recording that singles lack IMO. I cannot explain it. There is substance with album songs where as with singles there seems to be a cheapness to it. Just isn't the same ...

New album. You were right (though it was an option) .. Doesn't appear they are going to get an album out before coming to the states again. I'm shocked (however you have another point .. as I kno you are thinking .. why should I be?).

Still .. I admit... it is always a pleasure discussing it with ya.

Ian

Date: December 15, 2018 10:40

Ian Billen
Doom & Gloom was 'ok' .. but it wore off quickly. Wasn't a huge fan of One More Shot.

Both songs were recorded in a four or five day period. Good to hear The Stones again .. but the songs were not 100% album material IMO.

I agree.

Ian Billen
I do not want a couple songs a year. I'd rather have one album every six or seven years than two or three songs each year. I enjoy complete works. Albums seem to have something to them in recording that singles lack IMO. I cannot explain it. There is substance with album songs where as with singles there seems to be a cheapness to it. Just isn't the same ...

Again I agree, but something is better than nothing as I've stated many times now.

Ian Billen
New album. You were right (though it was an option) .. Doesn't appear they are going to get an album out before coming to the states again. I'm shocked (however you have another point .. as I kno you are thinking .. why should I be?).

And once again, I agree!

Date: December 15, 2018 12:46

Hairball
Ian Billen

I agree.

Ian Billen

Again I agree, but something is better than nothing as I've stated many times now.

Ian Billen

And once again, I agree!

Ahhhh well hell .. I guess here's to hoping for the best, my compadre.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 15, 2018 17:33

...they should throw in a Bowie cover and put out a 6-8 song EP. Bingo.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 15, 2018 18:36

The "Never There" song sounds like a theme they have already explored (nothing wrong with that) in "Do you think I care" an extra track from SG.

Rockand roll,
Mops

Date: December 15, 2018 23:11

Stoneage
Talking about material. If Jagger were a comedian he would be telling the same jokes over and over again...

Sure. What the heck are we still talking about? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Wired all Night.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 15, 2018 23:27

Thanks To Mick for Brand New Set Of Rules - We got Streets of Love on a stones album. That is why Mick and Keith need to write together and come up with new melodies and arrangements and not letting Mick use one of his songs from his solo records. The could replace each song for the other .

[www.youtube.com] - Brand New Set Of Rules
[www.youtube.com] - Streets of Love

Date: December 15, 2018 23:59

OpenG
Thanks To Mick for Brand New Set Of Rules - We got Streets of Love on a stones album. That is why Mick and Keith need to write together and come up with new melodies and arrangements and not letting Mick use one of his songs from his solo records. The could replace each song for the other .

"Wired all Night" is the best "Early Stones" sounding Stones song since Taylor left, IMHO. Professional session players at work.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 16, 2018 00:05

yeh sure; almost done. any minute.
take care to be among the first.
as soon as ian let's his guard down?
Whacck! we're gettin' a new one.
yeppers.
it's an inside secret or i'd be saying more here.
mick's flying me to a few shows and, frankly, the relationship is tenuous...
...seems if you turn down a meet and greet, well, that seating is kinda
arbitrary if your flippin KNIGHT. holy moly. that'w like arguning with a Country!!
or 'arguing' with one.
same diff only the Country won't have as much money.
yeh, right quick.
comin right up.
seems mick DOES
want to sit real close to Keith for weeks on end day and night again for weeks.
elbow to elbow, eating and drinking and smelling each other...banquet kinda good times...reallll close....not icky at all cause now they are Back...

well, alright.
done deal. worth the wait. quite the tease, but almost ready.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 16, 2018 00:25

I think MJ was channeling Hold Onto Your Hat when he wrote Wired All Night I agree the song is well done

Date: December 16, 2018 05:06

OpenG

Well They are writing together. Sure.. it's in spurts ... few days here and there ... a week every once in a while .. but they are definitely writing together on this one and it seems they are doing it carefully.

They have met a number of times to write together and work on songs for this ..

In fact.. everyone is wonderin .. hey .. yo .. when are ya'll gonna get together as a group again on a session and finish this thing?

Date: December 16, 2018 05:54

Ian Billen

How many days (or hours) do you think they've met to write and work on sings Ian?
And out of the amount of time, how much of it do you think was actually productive, i.e. getting something actually accompished?
I mean, one of those meetings could have been the clash over Getta Grip with Keith refusing to participate any further!
There's been a small handful of meetings between Keith and Mick from what I recall, and even less than that with the rest of the band.
Hoping for maybe a new song or two for the upcoming tour, but at the pace they've been working, a new full album probably won't be finished until Christmas 2022!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-16 05:55 by Hairball.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: December 16, 2018 06:03

2023. You heard it here first.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 16, 2018 12:55

bam

My opinion too: [iorr.org].

2023 is the 60th Anniversary of the 1st Single - [iorr.org] - as well as the 60th Anniversary of their stable line-up (Charlie).

In celebration of that they should release their last Studio-Album ....

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 16, 2018 14:55

ABBA on 2-Oct-2018: "A new album, possibly. Or four songs or something like that — that’s possible. But for us to perform on stage that’s just not going to happen. That’s a definite." - [www.Standard.co.uk] .

Exactly vice-versa to The Rolling Stones .... winking smiley

Date: December 16, 2018 17:24

Hairball
Ian Billen

How many days (or hours) do you think they've met to write and work on sings Ian?
And out of the amount of time, how much of it do you think was actually productive, i.e. getting something actually accompished?
I mean, one of those meetings could have been the clash over Getta Grip with Keith refusing to participate any further!
There's been a small handful of meetings between Keith and Mick from what I recall, and even less than that with the rest of the band.
Hoping for maybe a new song or two for the upcoming tour, but at the pace they've been working, a new full album probably won't be finished until Christmas 2022!

At least three weeks over four separate meetings.

two one week sessions

two sessions that were only a few days a piece.

This is what we know of.

Probably met more.

The band has been in the studio three or four separate times as well.

It's enough to have material for an album.

Date: December 16, 2018 18:52

IanBillen
Hairball
Ian Billen

And out of the amount of time, how much of it do you think was actually productive, i.e. getting something actually accomplished?

At least three weeks over four separate meetings.

two one week sessions

two sessions that were only a few days a piece.

This is what we know of.

Probably met more.

The band has been in the studio three or four separate times as well.

It's enough to have material for an album.

After all this time you would think so Ian , but the reality is they haven't accomplished very much, or at least completed very much. All we really know is they have some titles, along with a bunch of "loose jams or raw demos", but to be fair Mick did finish and release Getta Grip/England Lost (along with multiple remixes) - so hats off to him even though none of it was that great.

"...we can guess that the stuff is very much like the Licks sessions leaked earlier this year and neither, the band/Don Was or Universal, is on board of this stuff, uneven was the word on Universal last year and even Ronnie said something like starting fresh again. The main problem here is the lack of focus on the studio, since 2012 the band tours 2-3 months a year, every year, so after the tour they go on vacations or semi-retired life style and when they get together again after 4-6 months, a new tour is lined up so the studio work is minimal, 3-4 days every 3-6 months so nothing is fully completed, or worse, they are not pleased with the results.
Yet, we can expect a couple of new songs right before the new tour, maybe even an EP of 3-4 songs if they are pleassed with some of the stuff around, that's the best we can hope.-
georgelicks

Hoping georgelicks is right about a couple of new songs right before the tour, and if we're extra lucky maybe even a full EP of 3-4 songs!

As for a full new album?

Irix
bam

My opinion too: [iorr.org].

2023 is the 60th Anniversary of the 1st Single - [iorr.org] - as well as the 60th Anniversary of their stable line-up (Charlie).

In celebration of that they should release their last Studio-Album ....

As hard as it is to fathom, 2023 makes sense, and it will be just in time for Keith and Mick's 80th birthday celebrations!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-16 18:53 by Hairball.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: December 17, 2018 01:29

Hairball
Rockman
Maybe something really "deep" and "obscure" from Goats Head Soup....

You mean somethang like a hard driven version of You Should Have Seen Her Ass.... mmmmm yeah babeeeeeeeeee

Always wanted ta know the lyrics of that god damn song …. dirty lil rockin' thing it is ..

Definitely a worthy choice - in fact they should dust that sucker off with maybe a couple new overdubs, tweak it a bit, slap it out as the new single, and then play it live!

Voila...everybody's happy!thumbs up
The band is probably saving that track for the 50th anniversary GHS deluxe box set release....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...241242243244245246247248249250251...LastNext
Current Page: 246 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1870
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home