Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...120121122123124125126127128129130...LastNext
Current Page: 125 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 29, 2018 10:50

The problem is the more you wait the "better" it has to be...until the mid 80s when they put them out like clockwork you could always look forward to the next one if you didn't like the latest one, now...Same "problem" for pretty much all the big names. Wonder who started that trend and if it was ever "analyzed".

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: January 29, 2018 10:54

Yes, it has been analyzed. A couple of hundred times, you can find find it throughout the 125 pages of this thread LOL

gotdablouse
The problem is the more you wait the "better" it has to be...until the mid 80s when they put them out like clockwork you could always look forward to the next one if you didn't like the latest one, now...Same "problem" for pretty much all the big names. Wonder who started that trend and if it was ever "analyzed".

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 29, 2018 18:46

I'm reminded of the quote from Keith around the time the covers album was released regarding what direction the new album of originals will go.

Q: Don Was told me that Mick‘s got 40 new songs.

“Being prolific dont mean shit. I‘ve got three songs and they‘re dynamite. I don‘t want to make any decisions about this until this record comes out, because I think it might radically change Mick‘s attitude; it might change mine. I want to see the fallout from this record before I decide wheteher I want to record 40 of Mick‘s songs or whether he wants to sit down with me and record some songs together. That‘s my thing. That‘s my ball there. I‘ve always got a few songs on the back burner and so does Mick - he writes a lot. I don‘t. I tend to concentrate on two or three really interesting riffs or ideas, rather than being prolific“.

So now that the blues covers has sold millions and won a Grammy (and considering the failure of Mick's Getta Grip single), is Keith going to try and steer the ship in the direction he thinks is best for the band?
Could this win disrupt any work they might have already worked on, or have them second guess some of it with Keith holding his ground? Gotta give Keith credit for steering the band back to the blues when all else failed in the studio a couple of years ago as the results speak for themselves, but the main question now is, where do they go from here? All in all, this could all be a major positive - even if they start from scratch and we have to wait another couple of years.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 29, 2018 18:57

Perhaps a new twist to the current music consumption culture: record X amount of songs, enough for an album, but only release the 2,3 or 4 best as singles. Name the first leg of the tour after the first single etc. T-shirts for each single leg of the tour...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 29, 2018 18:57

I don’t think they give a F about the Grammy.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 29, 2018 19:00

My Guess now is,..they wont release it before Christmas.
Roundabout April/May they wanna get ready for the UK Tour (not Madsion Square whats its name) and they wanna relax after that.
So they might resume recording and finishing the album after the tour.
Release it with lots of Promo Stuff roundabout december.

jeroen

Date: January 29, 2018 19:01

35love

Yet Keith took the time to send out a tweet:

"Fantastic! It's about F*cking time!"

Surely he must be pleased with the win.

Date: January 29, 2018 20:42

About time they won a second Grammy? smiling smiley

Date: January 29, 2018 20:53

There is a difference between
Sales
and an American Grammy award at this stage in their career.
Especially after last night.

OF COURSE they want sales. OF COURSE you want appreciation from genuine people that they like/ enjoy/ are moved by your artistic work.

Date: January 29, 2018 21:22

35love
There is a difference between
Sales
and an American Grammy award at this stage in their career.
Especially after last night.

OF COURSE they want sales. OF COURSE you want appreciation from genuine people that they like/ enjoy/ are moved by your artistic work.

Then again, what do I really know about the innermost feelings
Nothing.
Hope they put out a new album.
Need some new music.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 30, 2018 04:40

Hairball
Interesting Rocky, but rest assured I was not equating Crosseyed Heart with Time Out of Mind (or Love and Theft) as Dylan is no doubt in a league of his own, and something else altogether as you say. My point - and this is just my opinion - is that the music and lyrics Keith has produced in these latter years is less cringeworthy than what Mick has come up with and delivered. While Keith was recording a stripped down album in an old school style, Mick is recording singles with drum loops and samples. While Keith writes about the ups and downs of love and life(Illusion, Just a Gift, Amnesia, et al) Mick is jumping on the latest political bandwagon with Getta Grip and England Lost. While Keith is recording a cover of an ancient Lead Belly tune, Mick is hiring the young hot shot Skepta for his latest single. While Keith was honoring Mary Clayton at the Apollo, Mick was on stage with Taylor Swift. While Keith is currently collaborating with soul singer Bettye LaVette, Mick was collaborating with the likes of Will.I.Am and Superheavy. It's great that Mick still strives to be seen as 'experimental' and 'edgy' and 'contemporary', but most of the time the results leave a foul taste for those us who would rather hear something a bit more subtle from a 74 year old Great Grandfather, and ultimately it all makes him seem out of touch imo.

FANTASTIC and spot on post!

Rod

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 30, 2018 07:28

Hairball
I'm reminded of the quote from Keith around the time the covers album was released regarding what direction the new album of originals will go.

Q: Don Was told me that Mick‘s got 40 new songs.

“Being prolific dont mean shit. I‘ve got three songs and they‘re dynamite. I don‘t want to make any decisions about this until this record comes out, because I think it might radically change Mick‘s attitude; it might change mine. I want to see the fallout from this record before I decide wheteher I want to record 40 of Mick‘s songs or whether he wants to sit down with me and record some songs together. That‘s my thing. That‘s my ball there. I‘ve always got a few songs on the back burner and so does Mick - he writes a lot. I don‘t. I tend to concentrate on two or three really interesting riffs or ideas, rather than being prolific“.

So now that the blues covers has sold millions and won a Grammy (and considering the failure of Mick's Getta Grip single), is Keith going to try and steer the ship in the direction he thinks is best for the band?
Could this win disrupt any work they might have already worked on, or have them second guess some of it with Keith holding his ground? Gotta give Keith credit for steering the band back to the blues when all else failed in the studio a couple of years ago as the results speak for themselves, but the main question now is, where do they go from here? All in all, this could all be a major positive - even if they start from scratch and we have to wait another couple of years.

At this point I just can't see why they need any further debates about the direction of the new album. They just need to do what they do best. Record an album with songs in Exile modus: Rock'n'Roll, Blues, Soul, Country and whatever fits, a gospel touch here, a world music flavour there. Touch it up with a good cover tune or two. Maybe just what a compilation of the best songs from Main Offender and Wandering Spirit could have been - a classic Stones album with great songs. Just do what you do best - that's what people want to hear - as Blue And Lonesome proves. Don't try to be a band for the young generation. It simply does not work anymore. I mean, it's so bloody obvious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-30 07:34 by retired_dog.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 30, 2018 09:02

Hairball
Maindefender
Enough with the cover albums, it's time for a traditional original Rolling Stones album.....thumbs upthumbs up

Yeah I suppose so...thirteen years is a lifetime in rock and roll years - the Beatles entire recording career was less than a decade.
To put it in perspective:

Neil Young has released over 10 original albums since A Bigger Bang was released.
Bob Dylan has released three albums of originals, and several covers albums - including a Christmas album!

So yeah, it's about time the Stones add something original to their catalog, but if they can't get it together a Plan B of blues covers pt II would work just as well imo.

^And just think .. nobody got concerned (or literally offended lol) that these artists didn't spend enough time with their familys.. .. ...

How did they ever manage this and not wreck their households .. ... ? grinning smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 30, 2018 11:08

Hairball
35love

You think Keith writes his own tweets?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 30, 2018 11:13

IanBillen
Hairball
Maindefender
Enough with the cover albums, it's time for a traditional original Rolling Stones album.....thumbs upthumbs up

Yeah I suppose so...thirteen years is a lifetime in rock and roll years - the Beatles entire recording career was less than a decade.

Neil Young has released over 10 original albums since A Bigger Bang was released.
Bob Dylan has released three albums of originals, and several covers albums - including a Christmas album!

So yeah, it's about time the Stones add something original to their catalog, but if they can't get it together a Plan B of blues covers pt II would work just as well imo.

^And just think .. nobody got concerned (or literally offended lol) that these artists didn't spend enough time with their familys.. .. ...

How did they ever manage this and not wreck their households .. ... ? grinning smiley

Yep, I am going to bite again at your callousness.

Have they had cancer like Charlie and Ronnie, had a girlfriend commit suicide like Mick, had brain surgery like Keith? AND so therefore, appreciate their time with their loved ones even more?

Rod

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: January 30, 2018 14:56

Hairball
Maindefender

This is unintentionally a persuasive argument in favor of the Stones keeping their powder dry.

Date: January 30, 2018 18:11

MelBelli
Hairball
Maindefender

This is unintentionally a persuasive argument in favor of the Stones keeping their powder dry.

Lol I hear you, but at least their creative forces are running and they're not afraid to put themselves in the ring. Of all those releases by Young and Dylan, while some might not be up to snuff in comparison to their greatest, many of them are indeed great! Dylan's three original albums are actually all great imo- Modern Times, Together Through Life, and to a lesser extent Tempest. As for Neil, I'd say it's been a 50/50 of greatness vs. questionable work, but even on some of those oddball albums there's something worthy to be found. Besides, you don't really know how an album will be received until you unleash it on the world, and if an artist has something they want to say, I can't imagine them holding back for any reason. Meanwhile - 13 years and counting - the Stones as a band have failed to do anything original aside from a couple thrown together tunes on a Greatest Hits comp. I'm not sure what's holding them back, but maybe there's a bit of laziness, some hesitation, second guessing, disagreements, resting on their laurels, or a combo of all that. Now that the covers album has been an all around success, might make them rethink everything and/or give them some urgency to finish what they started. Or maybe not...

matxil
Hairball
35love

You think Keith writes his own tweets?

No, but if you look closely at the bottom of the tweet, it clearly says "this message has been approved by Keith Richards". winking smiley
Half-joking, but it's the same as when "he" sends out other tweets under his name.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-30 18:13 by Hairball.

Date: January 30, 2018 19:53

But what did he mean? It's actually the Stones's third grammy.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 30, 2018 19:57

Bungo
I'm sure no one will believe this but I'm gonna lay it out there anyway :

Last week I was sipping Tequila at the pool in Hotel California in Todos Santos Mexico when a chap sat down near me and with little else to do we started chatting. Long story short it turns out he is close to the recording process of the new Stones record (engineer or studio technician or something) and he goes in to saying how incredible the new songs are, "classic drug fueled Stones" I believe he described them, "right up there with Sticky Fingers or Exile". He also mentioned something about Keith not letting Mick inject any of his silly "techno pop rubbish" onto what may very well be their last studio effort.

Anyway, make of it what you will,even though some good Mexican blow, weed and Tequila were present during the conversation.
smoking smiley

I'm still hoping that is true!!!

Date: January 30, 2018 21:13

bitusa2012
IanBillen
Hairball
Maindefender

Yep, I am going to bite again at your callousness.

Have they had cancer like Charlie and Ronnie, had a girlfriend commit suicide like Mick, had brain surgery like Keith? AND so therefore, appreciate their time with their loved ones even more?

Lol .. I have to be little callous.. being as you acted as if I
was 'picking' on those poor Rolling Stones who just want to settle down and retire to spend the rest of their days with their loved ones .. ....

> They don't and they certainly haven't. I truly feel for <anyone> who has lost a loved one or had health issues ... Rolling Stones or not. However here is the point .. the Rolling Stones have taken up every project under the sun after these events ...>>> Tours .. Museum Exhibits .. Films .. Re-issues ... Tours again .. Movies ... TV Shows .. Solo Work .. Lol etc. etc.

Why was nobody so sympathetic when they decided to play Cuba? How come nobody mentions family time when it comes to their touring? Should they cancel their UK tour then I am assuming .. After all .. that would take ten times the resources and every bit as much time as studio work? Why was nobody sympathetic when they took out a two million dollar record contract with that placed in the cards? It's Bullocks is why .. (see below)

Guy .. The Rolling Stones have taken up all kinds of other adventures .. and guess what .. they still have had plenty ....see this ... <PLENTY> of family time (probably more than most of us when it comes down to it) during .. in between and after.

They simply have neglected recording an album .. It's that simple. Has nothing to do with their needing or wanting more 'family time' or anything else. They do everything under the sun (and still have all their family time) .. they simply let the album thing slide .. and neglected getting into a studio in the first place and now finishing an album that's the point (and reality of it).We've gotten like two albums in 20 years ...

How many tours have we had in this same time frame (8 or 9? ... One that spanned like two years with 130 shows.....) ? How many movies (2) .. Solo Records .. (2) .. Or (4) if you count Micks projects with Alfie and Superheavy. .. TV Shows .. Museum Exhibits ... You name it .. they have done it before ...and after family time .. health issues .. deaths ... everything.

>> Their not recording an album has absolutely nothing to do with their needing (or wanting more) .."family time"... and it really doesn't have anything to do with their health issues or any other situation.

It has everything to do with them being lazy (or reluctant .. or both) studio wise. This is why the whole ..."Well they haven't done an album is because of them getting of age and having 'family time' or ...."They need or should have more family time and maybe they simply wanna focus on that is why we didn't get the album yet" (... Ok Really??). The 'Whole Family time' Thing was such a poor excuse that was used for them it made me actually laugh... It still does (with respect).

I'm not laughing at the notion of family time or if that was indeed the case ..or now is the case. I'm laughing (again with respect to you) because that is such a poor excuse made up for them and for their particular situation.

*Lets call it as it is.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-30 21:44 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 30, 2018 21:22

KRiffhard
Bungo

Last week I was sipping Tequila at the pool in Hotel California in Todos Santos Mexico when a chap sat down near me and with little else to do we started chatting. Long story short it turns out he is close to the recording process of the new Stones record (engineer or studio technician or something) and he goes in to saying how incredible the new songs are, "classic drug fueled Stones" I believe he described them, "right up there with Sticky Fingers or Exile". He also mentioned something about Keith not letting Mick inject any of his silly "techno pop rubbish" onto what may very well be their last studio effort.

Anyway, make of it what you will,even though some good Mexican blow, weed and Tequila were present during the conversation.
smoking smiley

Does Penthouse magazine still exist......lol eye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 30, 2018 23:32

Bungo

smoking smiley

Date: January 30, 2018 23:48

KRiffhard
Bungo

smoking smiley

smiling smiley

Meanwhile, revisiting the early years...BBC boots, etc. - SO much good stuff to enjoy.
All of the hoping, waiting, and wanting something new is fine and dandy, but the massive amount of recording they've already produced is more than enough "satisfaction".
When it comes down to it, if they never release another recorded note from here on out, I won't be crying.

Then again, aside from that crazy story above, any news regarding the progress of the new album? smileys with beer

Date: January 31, 2018 08:17

Hairball
KRiffhard
Bungo

smoking smiley

smiling smiley

Meanwhile, revisiting the early years...BBC boots, etc. - SO much good stuff to enjoy.
All of the hoping, waiting, and wanting something new is fine and dandy, but the massive amount of recording they've already produced is more than enough "satisfaction".
When it comes down to it, if they never release another recorded note from here on out, I won't be crying.

Then again, aside from that crazy story above, any news regarding the progress of the new album? smileys with beer

Nope Lol smh .. I tell ya .. this is seriously the 'mystery' album. Nobody knows what they have... where they have been working on it lately .. when its coming out .. how the material is or sounds.. (and its been over two years since they began it).

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 31, 2018 12:53

How long was Chuck Berry 'working' on his last album?
Patience!

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 31, 2018 13:08

here's brand new interview:
Q: Do you need another Stones album?
World: Not really…

Date: January 31, 2018 13:12

slewan
here's brand new interview:
World: Not really…

Here's another interview:

A hundred million loyal Stones fans round the globe: Hell, yeah!

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 31, 2018 14:08

Nobody needs a full album with things like DAG or OMS, let alone GGAG/EL. But it could as well be better.

Date: January 31, 2018 14:48

Monsoon Ragoon
Nobody needs a full album with things like DAG or OMS, let alone GGAG/EL. But it could as well be better.

Stones-albums are usually pretty varied, so don't worry about that smiling smiley

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 31, 2018 15:08

100 million? Amazingly, the thread moves further and further into the realm of fantasy.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...120121122123124125126127128129130...LastNext
Current Page: 125 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2111
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home