Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...118119120121122123124125126127128...LastNext
Current Page: 123 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 23, 2018 22:37

Hairball
Don't forget the clash over the material.
In a nutshell, Keith wants classic traditional while Mick wants new experimental, and both seem to be stubborn with their visions of the album.

I never thought about it, but it really could be Keith never had an experimental bone in his body.....eye rolling smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 23, 2018 22:45

Okay we're heartless fans, we want a new album and a tour. Furthermore we want rarities played. The Stones must know all this, and yet they tour occasionally, release records when they feel like it and rarely play deep cuts live. Still we're fans waiting on them. Sometimes I have to laugh at myself for this. Somehow it's all worth it, LOL.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 24, 2018 00:41

Maindefender
Hairball
In a nutshell, Keith wants classic traditional while Mick wants new experimental, and both seem to be stubborn with their visions of the album.

I never thought about it, but it really could be Keith never had an experimental bone in his body.....eye rolling smiley

Tell that to all the drugs he experimented with.eye popping smileysmiling smiley

Also, I would consider Wingless Angels somewhat experimental as it was pretty far removed from the classic traditional rock, blues, soul, etc. that Keith normally dabbles with.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 24, 2018 02:40

IanBillen
When (or has been) this album been the priority? Lol ... I mean seriously at this point. How many excuses can the band come up with .. It's always something or another.

John Perry calls this "Structured Procrastination! grinning smiley

Date: January 24, 2018 03:00

Hairball
Maindefender
Hairball

Tell that to all the drugs he experimented with.eye popping smileysmiling smiley

Also, I would consider Wingless Angels somewhat experimental as it was pretty far removed from the classic traditional rock, blues, soul, etc. that Keith normally dabbles with.

thumbs up thumbs up true

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 24, 2018 05:40

Hairball
Maindefender
Hairball

And even his 'country' album? not mass-released I know - but most of it is non-Stones like, even accounting for the bands occasional country dabble

Rod

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 24, 2018 08:56

bitusa2012
IanBillen
I certainly can understand anyone allotting time for their family .. in a specially reserved space and such .. especially at their age . They already had three months with family ... How much is needed. Only takes a couple weeks here and there to continue work on this thing.. and they can still have pleeeeenty of time for family ... I mean unless there is more going on we don't know about.

WOW.....I pine for a new Stones album, but to begrudge them ANY time with their family at their age just beggar's belief. At their age ANY time with their family should be both a right and a bonus not an "allotment" or a "reserved space" of time.

Me at 64 yearns for time with my family, NOT for the time I have to go to work (and I love my work).

I hope YOU never grow old and be alone.

I think you misinterpreted how I meant they should make time with their family. I was simply meaning they should specifically / purposefully 'set aside' time for the family .. as in making sure that's in place ... above all else.

However with that said the whole 'Ronnie's Baby' thing and how certain people don't understand that they should have family time blah blah blah... Well..

A. It doesn't take up <all> a bands / persons time to work on an album. I work in a recording studio .. I know. People have lives ...jobs ...family time.. and they STILL record music and complete albums.. and these are people with far less resources or financial freedom than the Rolling Stones. Hell .. I know loads that have full time jobs ...family's ... and they still get it done .. They simply do such in the evenings or here and there ..or they set aside a week to record at nights etc. ....and guess what... they all have plenty of family time. >>> Not one ever mentioned the album they were recording / making eliminated too much of their ..errrrm "family time" (Cut Mr. Billen a break here .. smh).

I know people who record with kids.. with full time jobs..perform on the weekend .. and they still make time for their family... AND they / their bands still put out albums. Yikes ...lol.

The Rolling Stones don't even have to clean their own houses or drive lol. They have plenty of time for family and they have PLEEEEEEENTY of time to record an album or music if they wanted. Its been two years? Lol

How the hell do you think others ... older acts do it (See Bob Dylan .. Paul Mccartney ... Bruce Springsteen ... David Bowie... Shall I go on?). They all have family's and they all seem to put out albums ... much more than the rolling Stones .... AND most of them still tour. Hmmmmm?

Stop cutting them a pass and acting as if everyone is so hard on our multimillionaire Rolling Stones and not understanding about their ...errrrrm 'family time'. You are making excuses for them ... Lol smh. They have time to tour .. and do everything else under the sun.... They have time to record an album yo. All the others manage it (famous and not so famous ... and they all have no issues about having enough 'family time').

They have been passing it off and neglecting it ... It's been 13 years mate.... Lets call it like it is. Just sayin.

*I know they dont 'owe' us anything... I get all that. They never did .. not in 1965 and not in 2018. .. Im just saying lets not pull the family time thing excuse .. geeeesh.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-24 10:29 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: January 24, 2018 09:28

I recently used self-hypnosis to erase all memories of Stones music. Now I’m able to enjoy classic Stones records as if I’m listening to them for the first time. Highly recommended! Beats the hell out of endlessly pining for a new album of mediocre songs from a band that’s been washed up longer than Brian Jones walked the earth.

Consider if you will the fates of these two Rolling Stones fans:
Fan A, weary of waiting for a new Stones album, purchased and read a series of books on ‘Do-it-yourself Dentistry.’
Fan B, on the other hand, was so preoccupied with every unsubstantiated morsel of news that, interpreted a certain way, made it impossible to rule out that the Stones were secretly on route to a recording studio somewhere on Mount Olympus, that he neglected to brush his teeth.

There is no happy ending for either of these people from an odontological standpoint but one at least wants to praise Fan A for getting on with his life.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 24, 2018 10:47

Hairball
Maindefender
Hairball

I think his solo albums are experimental too. Experimental doesn't mean inventing some new style. It just means experimenting, trying new approaches, looking for new sounds, even when it's within a genre (soul+blues+rock'nroll+etc) that has existed for ages. Nobody can deny Captain Beefheart was experimental, but still, he basically just played the blues. The experimental albums from Tom Waits were inspired by Kurt Weill from the 30s. Actually, what Keith plays with the Wingless Angels are basically the sort of country/soul/blues licks he's been playing for most of his live, only with a new feel to it, which makes that music feel so special.
Only within the Stones, no experiments have gone on (or hardly) since Undercover, mainly because Mick and Keith want to go in different directions, but not because of lack of wanting to experiment of either one of them. Which is why hoping for a new album from them is either wishful thinking or just hoping for more of the same old same old.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-24 10:49 by matxil.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 24, 2018 11:40

maybe Mick n Ronnie are in India to do some recordings with an India band, maybe??
jeroen

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 24, 2018 16:34

Maindefender
Hairball

Wait a minute. Wait just one minute.

What about the bicycle wheel?!!!!? And the... stick... thing?

Date: January 24, 2018 16:40

GasLightStreet
Maindefender
Hairball

Not to mention the Norelco-recordings...

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 24, 2018 17:40

You mean Ronnie with his twins?

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: January 24, 2018 21:44

GasLightStreet
Maindefender
Hairball

The exercise bike is only used when Keith can't find the rain stick

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 24, 2018 22:06

corriecas
maybe Mick n Ronnie are in India to do some recordings with an India band, maybe??
jeroen

Or maybe they met AR Rahman as Mick already had persuaded his buddy Dave Stewart that he's in need of a second guitarist for SuperHeavy...

Date: January 25, 2018 07:28

Maindefender
Hairball

Not so .. Keiths experimentation is much more based on a traditional / rootsy premise .. He has taken things to the next level a number of times.

Much of Micks experimentation has been more pop oriented .. and more from a production stand point .. especially since the 80's and onward. It stands out much more because it is unlike typical Stones based stuff.

Keiths experimentation was done in the 60's .. and by the mid-seventies he had settled into a groove until Id say the early 90's when he again pushed the envelope of The Stones sound... Through & Through .. Love Is Strong .. As Wicked As It Seems .. All very roots based but evolved.

Ian

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 25, 2018 14:13

jumpin jack flash and street fighting man were both pretty much Keith's sonic experiments weren't they?

Date: January 25, 2018 14:25

duke richardson
jumpin jack flash and street fighting man were both pretty much Keith's sonic experiments weren't they?

Add Parachute Woman, and the holy trinity of Norelco/Philips tape recording is complete smiling smiley

We got some bicycles, «mystery guitars» and some different sounds later on as well, but I'm not sure if the effect of those can be compared to that of the Beggars-era.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-25 16:06 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 25, 2018 15:16

thumbs up
had any other band put a full choir prominently in a folky rock song prior to YCAGWYW..?

Date: January 25, 2018 16:07

duke richardson
thumbs up
had any other band put a full choir prominently in a folky rock song prior to YCAGWYW..?

I don't know, but I guess it was the natural progression to the ending of Salt Of The Earth smiling smiley

Date: January 25, 2018 17:46

angee
You mean Ronnie with his twins?

Yes ... I forgot he had twins. Poor thing.. now he's in India on Holiday .. I mean these poor souls ... they just don't get any ....'family time'... with all their vacation trips to other countries and such. How does this guy even find time to paint? He needs to put those brushes down!! He is obviously neglecting his family ... ... They only get to be with him 9 months out of the year and along on tour if he wants .. ...

I mean .. lets face it .. no wonder they can't get an album complete ... these poor guys never have any errrm ....'family time'... They need to focus a little more on that.

Being off nine months out of the year and with six trips to other countries with everyone on holiday with anyone who wants to go along just isn't enough time for these poor souls.. .....

Perhaps after the recent three month break and this latest holiday trip he and The rest of those poor lonely 'time deprived' Rolling Stones should plan some more family time... After all .. they did 14 shows just last year ya know (that and rehearsals took all of 2 and 1/2 months .. Never mind that their family was with them half of that time frame as well).. ... ... I mean ... no wonder they can't get the record done ..

They really need some more focus on family time and such .. (those poor.. time deprived... Rolling Stones ..) ....... grinning smiley

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-25 21:11 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 26, 2018 04:26

Um, they are in their seventies. I'm grateful they maintain the schedule they have since 2013. They actually increased their activity from what it had been. If you think of the reaction Keith received in the first few shows on last year's European tour, factor in Ronnie's health, Charlie's ambivalence about touring, and Mick and Keith not exactly always seeing eye-to-eye, it is pretty amazing they've done what they have since 50 AND COUNTING.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 26, 2018 05:34

Rocky Dijon
Um, they are in their seventies. I'm grateful they maintain the schedule they have since 2013. They actually increased their activity from what it had been. If you think of the reaction Keith received in the first few shows on last year's European tour, factor in Ronnie's health, Charlie's ambivalence about touring, and Mick and Keith not exactly always seeing eye-to-eye, it is pretty amazing they've done what they have since 50 AND COUNTING.

For whatever reason, that last comment made me go look up I Wanna Be Your Man from the first show. Who the hell is singing (shouting) the "harmony" with Mick? It's not Chuck.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 26, 2018 06:07

Gotta be Bernard, but where is he?

Pity Mick lost the hat and jacket. A nice contrast that was.

Date: January 26, 2018 07:31

Rocky Dijon

I'm with you on a few accounts (just not every one of them). I did not think / was not sure if they could even tour anymore.. Keith took a while to get cleared for the 50 and Counting... & there were many rumors.

Then it was cleared he could perform and I thought there was to be a set of 4 or 5 shows and that would be it... possibly bc it would be all they can handle. Then things / his health turned out way better and they toured / did more shows than any of us could of imagined then and since.

I don't believe a band 'owes' anyone anything. .. at any age. Bands / groups tour and record because they want to and at any age I consider it a gift out to people.

However .. with all that said.. many frowned on me because I called complete bullocks on the family time thing. Dude.. The Rolling Stones have pleeeenty of time off. They have pleeeeeenty of family trips .... and they do pleeeenty of all kinds of other things. As I said I know people with families that work that still record albums .. and they don't have to neglect their family. I also said ... that recording an album doesn't necessairly (or have to) take up all of someones time.

Points are this .. they have been mentioning this album for a while... they took out a new record contrat including it ... they still consider themselves a fully functional band. Others their age with familys put out albums .. The Stones have plenty of family time .. Gimme a break. They have more of it than I do ... I work all the time .. they dont have to Lol smh.

They have been lazy on recording since 2005 and even before... As well .. they passed this album off for too long. Rolling Stones or no Rolling Stones .. 70 or not 70 years old.... Doesn't take over two years to record an album... and the ...erm "family time" thing that was made up as an excuse for that here on this message board is laughable was my point. Like I say .. they have more time to spend with their familys (at home and on all their trips) than we do Lol

**All Im saying is lets not start feeling sorry for them.. or making up ridiculous excuses for them as it appeared. They keep mentioning an album ...even put out a covers album in its place around the time we were actually due to get that album of original material....(as great as that covers album is...) so then get on with it, yo boyz .. .. winking smiley

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-26 08:30 by IanBillen.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 26, 2018 07:54

Rocky Dijon
Gotta be Bernard, but where is he?

He is usually out of sight for the first couple of songs.
Behind the amps or drapes.

Date: January 26, 2018 09:13

Thanks, Eric.

And, Ian, for what it's worth...I'm not rationalizing anything with family time. I just find it surprising they even bother to the extent they do. If it was up to me, they would play one or two shows a year and make albums instead, but that's why they're multi-millionaires and I'm not.

Date: January 26, 2018 10:24

Rocky Dijon
Thanks, Eric.

And, Ian, for what it's worth...I'm not rationalizing anything with family time. I just find it surprising they even bother to the extent they do. If it was up to me, they would play one or two shows a year and make albums instead, but that's why they're multi-millionaires and I'm not.

grinning smiley

Date: January 26, 2018 17:21

Rocky Dijon
Thanks, Eric.

Yep I know 'you' weren't ... I was simply explaining to whoever was more my thing.

Cheers

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: January 26, 2018 19:25

There is no financial incentive for most artists to record now a days. That's why concert tickets for most acts are through the roof. If there was great money to be made, they would be making records. And just like our lives, their lives have changed. They could put out another Sticky Fingers but it still wouldn't give us the thrill that we got at age 16. No matter how good the album is it will not bring us back to our youth

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...118119120121122123124125126127128...LastNext
Current Page: 123 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1651
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home