Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...123124125126127128129130131132133...LastNext
Current Page: 128 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 7, 2018 17:44

slewan
Lien
Producer Don Was says next Rolling Stones album's in "a pretty early stage";

[abcnewsradioonline.com]

after some two years of work… how many of us will still be alive when it will finally be released?

One. Keith, probably.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 7, 2018 18:23

Lien

[abcnewsradioonline.com]

Wow...deva vu...still in the early stages...seems he said the exact same thing over a year ago!

On Blue and Lonesome:

"...we decided to work out the bugs by playing something familiar, and Keith [Richards] called out [the Little Walter song] 'Blue and Lonesome,' and thankfully the tape was running. And we went in the room and listened to it, and it was just killer. So, it was like, 'Let's do another one [and] another one.'"

The studio whiz noted that the band cut five blues songs on the first day alone, then did four or five more the next day. During the sessions, Eric Clapton, who was working on his own album at the same studio, came by and added guitar to two tracks.

"It was fun, and after three days we'd finished it and we put it away," Was said. He notes that the decision to release the blues recordings as an album came a few months later, after Don had mixed the tracks and played them for the band when stopped in Los Angeles on tour. The result was a Grammy-winning collection.

Since they still haven't seemed to have "work out the bugs" of these new recordings, what's stopping them from releasing another covers album pt II? I know Keith hinted at the possibility, so what's the problem?
It might not be the best case scenario and a sign that they're running on empty, but that seems to clearly be the case anyways. On the positive side, it might help them get back on the same page as a band (or at least a similar page), the fans would stop chomping at the bit for a little while, it could sell millions of copies, and they could possibly win another Grammy! In the meantime, 13 years and counting...looks like 2019 is more realistic. A shame as it would have been nice to have something new for the rumoured new tour - even just a single. Instead, they'll play a "rare" oldie or two, maybe a blues cover, and the rest will be the same as its been for years and years.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 7, 2018 18:47

Calling Georgelicks.....thumbs up

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: February 7, 2018 18:51

slewan
Lien

[abcnewsradioonline.com]

after some two years of work… how many of us will still be alive when it will finally be released?

well, it's not two years of work. It's in a pretty early stage, meaning they have a few songs written, as he said, and that's it. It's two years of talking about it, hardly any work.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 7, 2018 19:45

Rokyfan
slewan
Lien

[abcnewsradioonline.com]

well, it's not two years of work. It's in a pretty early stage, meaning they have a few songs written, as he said, and that's it. It's two years of talking about it, hardly any work.

Over a year ago they had half an album of new material finished according to Mick Jagger .. they worked on it a few times since then.

The album was started in 2015 ... It is now 2018. How on earth are they / is this album still in the pretty 'early stages' ....?

If it still needs much work .. Ill ask the obvious question in reference to that .. what on earth are they waiting on?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 7, 2018 20:43

The "recent" quotes from Don are nearly a year old when BLUE AND LONESOME had only been out for a couple months. ABC Radio is recycling comments to have a post-Grammy story. This isn't a state of the union address from Don in 2018.

Date: February 7, 2018 21:24

Rocky Dijon
The "recent" quotes from Don are nearly a year old when BLUE AND LONESOME had only been out for a couple months. ABC Radio is recycling comments to have a post-Grammy story. This isn't a state of the union address from Don in 2018.

you mean they're recycling comments because there is nothing new to report? It doesn't seem that much has changed.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 7, 2018 21:51

To say that "they're definitely not done making records" is obviously wrong: they've made ONE album since 2005. One more would be "records" and it's seeming more and more obvious that if they do one more it will very likely be their last.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 7, 2018 22:53

It's obvious. There is no money in recording music. Sales are crap. If the stones could make 10 million on an album they would record all the time. It's simple economics. Making a new album probably loses them money. It's not like it was 20 yrs ago when royalties were high and you were guaranteed at least 4 to 5 million worldwide sales. Yes, they need to do it for artistic purposes but money wise it's a loser. Blue and Lonesome was recorded quick and sold well. To fumble hours on end in a studio writing new stuff and jamming it out takes a lot more time than B&L. That's why concerts are the way for all artists to make money and that's why tickets for even the crap artists ain't cheap any more

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 7, 2018 22:56

Bashlets
There is no money in recording music. Sales are crap.

Best Buy to Pull CDs, Target Threatens to Pay Labels for CDs Only When Customers Buy Them

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 8, 2018 00:29

Bashlets
It's obvious. There is no money in recording music. Sales are crap. If the stones could make 10 million on an album they would record all the time. It's simple economics. Making a new album probably loses them money. It's not like it was 20 yrs ago when royalties were high and you were guaranteed at least 4 to 5 million worldwide sales. Yes, they need to do it for artistic purposes but money wise it's a loser. Blue and Lonesome was recorded quick and sold well. To fumble hours on end in a studio writing new stuff and jamming it out takes a lot more time than B&L. That's why concerts are the way for all artists to make money and that's why tickets for even the crap artists ain't cheap any more

Well, if your name is ADELE or ED SHEERHAN there certainly still is money to be made from making records.
And if you are a musician like Neil Young or Van Morrison you put out 'product' because that's what you do....sales figures and profit margins are not the be all and end all.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 8, 2018 03:11

Bashlets
It's obvious. There is no money in recording music. Sales are crap. If the stones could make 10 million on an album they would record all the time.

Wasn't there something about 2 million quid for the album, a couple of pages up in this thread? 500.000 per Stone seems still worthwhile to me.

And just Keith's one dynamite riff might generate more in royalties than (most) people like us earn in a very long while.

Date: February 8, 2018 03:53

How much work to get to an album worthy of being released?
How many live shows to get the same amount of $$$, profit, take home, per Stone? One?

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 8, 2018 04:20

ROkyfan summed it up perfectly

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 8, 2018 04:30

doitywoik
Bashlets
It's obvious. There is no money in recording music. Sales are crap. If the stones could make 10 million on an album they would record all the time.

Wasn't there something about 2 million quid for the album, a couple of pages up in this thread? 500.000 per Stone seems still worthwhile to me.

And just Keith's one dynamite riff might generate more in royalties than (most) people like us earn in a very long while.

Speaking of one, dynamic riff that says everything, how about the first from Keith on ‘Just My Imagination’ off ‘Shine A Light’ show/ recording:
He steps up, and miraculously places the most beautiful riff ———-

It sounds incredible when you own it/ quality, but here it is for free:
[m.youtube.com]

Date: February 8, 2018 04:56

jlowe
Bashlets

Well, if your name is ADELE or ED SHEERHAN there certainly still is money to be made from making records.
And if you are a musician like Neil Young or Van Morrison you put out 'product' because that's what you do....sales figures and profit margins are not the be all and end all.

thumbs up

Date: February 8, 2018 05:28

Rokyfan
Rocky Dijon

you mean they're recycling comments because there is nothing new to report? It doesn't seem that much has changed.

Thaaaaaaaank Goodness. I remember him saying the first part and not the last but it was such a disappointment I overlooked acknowledging it.

I mean .. geez .. I was about to friggin call it Lol smh

Was throwing in the towel and almost to the point of saying if we hadn't heard they were working on it by March that I didn't want to hear any more about the damn thing.

Would of been beyond ridiculous.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: February 8, 2018 12:23

matxil
slewan
Lien

[abcnewsradioonline.com]

One. Keith, probably.

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 8, 2018 20:01

Rokyfan
Rocky Dijon

Like this thread.

People have put in more hours since 2016 posting in this thread than the Stones themselves have put in recording the alleged "new album".

But regarding the Don Was quotes from that new/old interview, B&L happened the way it did because it was spontaneous, focused.

This new album, they approach more like a part-time job. The results will reflect the lack of focus, spontaneity, energy that went into the sessions for B&L and the best of their past releases. It will be an anthology of effort straining toward completion; it will feel like something they've been unsure of for years on end.

It's clear that after nearly a decade and a half of cruising on auto pilot playing the same chord structures to the same songs to the same fans, that when it comes to creating new music they're just not certain of how they feel they should express themselves.

This is perhaps the consequence of playing the same show for so many years: that a fresh new musical direction is a creative challenge they are no longer up for.

Date: February 8, 2018 21:03

The alternative would be fans not looking forward to the release and refusing to post until the album was released. Hardly what a message board is expected. I'm never sure why fans who are irritated by this thread continue to read it. Any real news will be on the News page.

As for the inevitable results of their part-time efforts, while I hardly expect a classic for the ages (nor do I think of BLUE AND LONESOME as a phenomenal return to their roots - it's nice, some tracks are better than others); what I do anticipate is an album of originals that sounds pretty impressive for creators who turn 75 this year. I'm hoping the long gestation is better than rushing through the motions. I rather expect we'll be wondering whether it's all "new new" or if some of it is tweaked outtakes from past decades or, if any of the tracks are familiar to collectors, whether they lost the track's magic in putting the finishing touches to it. I'll be pleased if I like several of the songs enough to continue playing them a few months later. Otherwise, it's just another late period or final testament by elder statesmen.

As for the timing, we've known they planned the UK dates since last year. Apart from Mick mentioning he would like to play India again, there's been no plans discussed beyond this year. Perhaps they're thinking of calling it a day after this tour. Maybe the album will be a Christmas release and promoted as The Last Time. The same way artists keep their last product back until something spurs sales. A bit like the scene in S.O.B. (1981) when the producer's dying words are that his death will add a few more million to the gross. Showmen know the value of the final curtain. Who knows what is planned at this point. It seems plausible because of their age, but they could have more recordings yet to come. As much as we complain about it being the first new album since 2005, we've had an album's worth of material between EXILE and SOME GIRLS reissues, the BOOGIE FOR STU contribution, and the new tracks on GRRR as well as a blues album. Does the fact the tracks were spread out on releases somehow not count as two albums between A BIGGER BANG and now? What about Keith's album or Mick's solo work from "Charmed Life" to SUPERHEAVY to last year's singles? They're not quite as unproductive as some of us pretend. You might not like the results, but that's something else altogether.

Date: February 8, 2018 21:15

Great post, Rocky! thumbs up

Date: February 8, 2018 23:55

Rocky Dijon
The alternative would be fans not looking forward to the release and refusing to post until the album was released. Hardly what a message board is expected. I'm never sure why fans who are irritated by this thread continue to read it. Any real news will be on the News page.

As for the inevitable results of their part-time efforts, while I hardly expect a classic for the ages (nor do I think of BLUE AND LONESOME as a phenomenal return to their roots - it's nice, some tracks are better than others); what I do anticipate is an album of originals that sounds pretty impressive for creators who turn 75 this year. I'm hoping the long gestation is better than rushing through the motions. I rather expect we'll be wondering whether it's all "new new" or if some of it is tweaked outtakes from past decades or, if any of the tracks are familiar to collectors, whether they lost the track's magic in putting the finishing touches to it. I'll be pleased if I like several of the songs enough to continue playing them a few months later. Otherwise, it's just another late period or final testament by elder statesmen.

As for the timing, we've known they planned the UK dates since last year. Apart from Mick mentioning he would like to play India again, there's been no plans discussed beyond this year. Perhaps they're thinking of calling it a day after this tour. Maybe the album will be a Christmas release and promoted as The Last Time. The same way artists keep their last product back until something spurs sales. A bit like the scene in S.O.B. (1981) when the producer's dying words are that his death will add a few more million to the gross. Showmen know the value of the final curtain. Who knows what is planned at this point. It seems plausible because of their age, but they could have more recordings yet to come. As much as we complain about it being the first new album since 2005, we've had an album's worth of material between EXILE and SOME GIRLS reissues, the BOOGIE FOR STU contribution, and the new tracks on GRRR as well as a blues album. Does the fact the tracks were spread out on releases somehow not count as two albums between A BIGGER BANG and now? What about Keith's album or Mick's solo work from "Charmed Life" to SUPERHEAVY to last year's singles? They're not quite as unproductive as some of us pretend. You might not like the results, but that's something else altogether.

They are not going to to tout anything as 'the last time'. They have been on record saying even if it was or could be they would never be so cheezy and generic as to tout a tour as their last.

The Stones have not been dead recording wise since 2005 .. you are right. They have been in there.. we all know that.. BUT we want a studio album. A true album of originals. All the other stuff doesn't count ... as being productive from a 'Rolling Stones' stand point .. except fot the two off of Grrrr.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 9, 2018 00:11

Rocky Dijon
As much as we complain about it being the first new album since 2005, we've had an album's worth of material between EXILE and SOME GIRLS reissues, the BOOGIE FOR STU contribution, and the new tracks on GRRR as well as a blues album. Does the fact the tracks were spread out on releases somehow not count as two albums between A BIGGER BANG and now? What about Keith's album or Mick's solo work from "Charmed Life" to SUPERHEAVY to last year's singles? They're not quite as unproductive as some of us pretend. You might not like the results, but that's something else altogether.

Yes, it does not count as two albums. It's perhaps two albums worth of material but none of it is an album in regard to releasing an album. Keith took 4 years or whatever to do his solo album. Mick's SuperHeavy and solo work has no relevance regarding an album.

Whether they do new songs and or vamp some VOODOO-BANG leftovers, fine. Part of the issue is, they touted doing something and it's been bullshit ever since.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 9, 2018 00:48

Rocky Dijon
The alternative would be fans not looking forward to the release and refusing to post until the album was released. Hardly what a message board is expected.

You missed my point. I was commenting on how the Stones are approaching the "new" album in such a piecemeal fashion, which is completely different from how they've done it in the past, that is, as a complete, focused, short-term project. Hence the "part-time job" comment.

Rocky Dijon
I'm never sure why fans who are irritated by this thread continue to read it.

Not irritated, just amused.

Date: February 9, 2018 00:51

I agree we had another album's worth of tracks that would have made for a rather imbalanced compilation if packaged together. As for they would never decide to call it a day and then release the album because doing so is cheezy and generic, I would say never say never. Health and age and desire changes. The business is to sell. If they know they're stopping (and I'm speculating only), why wouldn't they do so? Because they would lose street cred? Because it isn't rock 'n' roll? It would be foolish to release the album and then fade away knowing it was all over. It's about maximizing impact.

Date: February 9, 2018 01:14

stonehearted
Rokyfan
Rocky Dijon

Like this thread.

People have put in more hours since 2016 posting in this thread than the Stones themselves have put in recording the alleged "new album".

But regarding the Don Was quotes from that new/old interview, B&L happened the way it did because it was spontaneous, focused.

This new album, they approach more like a part-time job. The results will reflect the lack of focus, spontaneity, energy that went into the sessions for B&L and the best of their past releases. It will be an anthology of effort straining toward completion; it will feel like something they've been unsure of for years on end.

It's clear that after nearly a decade and a half of cruising on auto pilot playing the same chord structures to the same songs to the same fans, that when it comes to creating new music they're just not certain of how they feel they should express themselves.

This is perhaps the consequence of playing the same show for so many years: that a fresh new musical direction is a creative challenge they are no longer up for.

Not necessarily. B&L was a happy accident .. in a sense. There are albums that have been worked up over time and sounded cohesive. The proof in the pudding are the songs of quality.

Tattoo You was constructed of throw-aways or second hand songs that wee worked up and mixed to form a great release. Those songs were from different periods dating back to Goats Head Soup. The band as a unit didn't do much at all with it .. but the content was there.

It's all in the 'content'. Some times songs need time to come around .. Focusing on them all day as an artist wont do anything .. not at least without outside help.

If ya force it it can sound forced a touch (Steel Wheels had some stuff that was forced sounding).

All depends on the 'content' (<mainly .. the quality of content) ... How it's mixed ...and their performances when they are in there. Albums are made differently. Some times working on something in pieces in search of the better recipe is the route to take. Some times focusing on it for an extended period of time with long segments in the studio is the route to take. It all depends.

Case and Point: They made Blue & Lonesome in three short days for the most part (and it was not focused on before or after .. until mixing came some months later). Not sure why you think long segments are necessary to produce great results (they aren't). It all depends on what you have going on and how its working out. Some times doing it in pieces yeilds more quality content.

If you are worried about how or if it will be inspired sounding I think you are selling them considerably short. They will be giving it their best while in there and Don Was and the team know how to make everything up to snuff.

The song ... 'It's only rock N roll' was done in pieces .. over time... and worked up. It was mixed together .. from various sessions...>> Does that song sound uninspired or not cohesive to you?

The only worry would be over-cooking it .. I get that.. but they know what they are doing.. So does Don Was.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 03:55 by IanBillen.

Date: February 9, 2018 01:39

Meanwhile, waiting for another "new" recycled quote from last year..."working on it"..."early stages"..."might start from scratch"..."hit the wall"...etc., etc. winking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 9, 2018 02:37

Rocky Dijon

As much as we complain about it being the first new album since 2005, we've had an album's worth of material between EXILE and SOME GIRLS reissues, the BOOGIE FOR STU contribution, and the new tracks on GRRR as well as a blues album. Does the fact the tracks were spread out on releases somehow not count as two albums between A BIGGER BANG and now? What about Keith's album or Mick's solo work from "Charmed Life" to SUPERHEAVY to last year's singles? They're not quite as unproductive as some of us pretend. You might not like the results, but that's something else altogether.

Very good point(s). I think the comparison to solo artists like mentioned above Neil Young or Van Morrison or, if we like, Bob Dylan, is not really fair. The Rolling Stones is not an individual person but a collective. Mick and Keith are individual artists. Probably their creative drive is not quite effective as those mentioned, but to measure their artistic ouput one cannot simply count only what they do under the umbrella notion of The Rolling Stones. From their point of you, as individual artists, it really doesn't matter if they do a solo record, a Stones album, or a collboration with someone else.

If we take Jagger, his creative output since A BIGGER BANG, after taking some years off, isn't that bad (in quantity) actually.

In 2009/10 he finished up EXILE Bonus album - not really being much different what he did with TATTOO YOU ages ago, starting from almost a scratch in some songs, and if we take his personal comment into account, he probably used more energy in this project than in some past official Rolling Stones albums.

In 2011 he, with his 'supergroup', released SUPERHEAVY, writing and recording of which had alraedy started in 2009. Jagger wrote or co-wrote 10 of its 12 songs. He was heavily involved in SOME GIRLS bonus tracks. He also with other Rolling Stones (including "the bass player" to quote Dylan) released a version of Dylan's "Watching The River Flow" in Stu's tribute album. He also contributed to Will.i.am single "T.H.E. Hardest Ever".

In 2013 he released with the Stones two new Jagger/Richards originals, "Doom & Gloom" and "One More Shot".

In 2015 he released a live album with The Rolling Stones STICKY FINGERS LIVE, a brave new concept of playing a whole album live - something totally different, and artistically more demanding from him, than documenting a normal Rolling 'war horse' show.

In 2016 he released with The Rolling Stones an album of blues covers called BLUE & LONESOME.

In 2017 he was involved in Brad Paisley's "Drive of Shame", co-writing it. He also released a solo single "Gotta Get A Grip"/"England Lost".

(Add there if you want all those films, tv series and documents he has produced/co-produced along the years.)

An interesting a side observation is that before the Stones re-joined to celebrate their 50th Anniversary, Jagger was actually rather busy in a studio for a two years or so (EXILE and SOME GIRLS projects, SUPERHEAVY plus some minor things). I hope since hitting the studio with the Stones in 2015, and ending up releasing BLUE & LONESOME and a single (plus a Paislay colloboration) that would mark a similar creative phase now.

Keith's output isn't probably as impressive, but hey, if one says to him that he did nothing since A BIGGER BANG, I don't think he would be very pleased - I am sure for him CROSSEYED HEART surely as artistically as countable as any Stones album he is involved. Probably LIFE too... If anything else, he could ask from Dylan when did he has last released an album of originals...

And as as far our fanboy/girl perspective goes, had The Stones (plus Jagger/Richards solo projects) ever released as much as any kind of material as they have done during this decade (there was a time when the vaults stuff was just a wet fanboy/girl dream...)? I have already lost a count.. probably we are all so exhausted or spoiled by it all that only an album of Jagger/Richards originals by The Rolling Stones can make any longer a difference... (it feels like I at least belong to that club..grinning smiley)

Anyway, the point of my post was not really 'defend' The Stones for the lack of their output since A BIGGER BANG, but I just discovered the comparison to people like Young and Morrison (or Dylan) a bit unfair. The Stones is a bit different animal altogether. Mick and Keith alone not so much.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 03:07 by Doxa.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: February 9, 2018 03:03

stonehearted
Rokyfan
Rocky Dijon

Like this thread.

Exactly 100% correct sir.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 9, 2018 03:30

stonehearted
I was commenting on how the Stones are approaching the "new" album in such a piecemeal fashion, which is completely different from how they've done it in the past, that is, as a complete, focused, short-term project. Hence the "part-time job" comment.

Actually when I was making my above post I came to realize that the way they are now working "in such a piecemeal fashion", or it being a "part-time job", that it isn't exactly different what both MIck and Keith have done in their previous projects in constructing albums (SUPERHEAVY and CROSSEYED HEART). Add there the quick three day sessions for "Doom & Gloom"/"One More Shot" and a similar run for BLUE & LONESOME (which, of course, produced enough tracks for a whole album). Most likely Mick's last year's single followed the same pattern.

Probably that is a new norm as far as their recording habits go? Why is so, or what it means, I refuse to speculate...

- Doxa

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...123124125126127128129130131132133...LastNext
Current Page: 128 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1640
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home