Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...119120121122123124125126127128129...LastNext
Current Page: 124 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 26, 2018 19:40

I willing to be moved and surprised by a new Stones album. It's all up to them, and hopefully Mick and Keith find a couple songs that move their collective asses and in turn get our asses moving also......it was there in Blue & Lonesome. They are the drivers......

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 26, 2018 19:43

Bashlets
There is no financial incentive for most artists to record now a days. That's why concert tickets for most acts are through the roof. If there was great money to be made, they would be making records. And just like our lives, their lives have changed. They could put out another Sticky Fingers but it still wouldn't give us the thrill that we got at age 16. No matter how good the album is it will not bring us back to our youth

Maybe it could speak to us as adults in the same way Dylan's latter day albums have done for some of us - my favorite Dylan album is Time Out of Mind from '97 (with Blood on the Track from '75 not far behind).
But with Mick writing/singing about roosters, cocks, titties, and beer, etc., seems he's hellbent on speaking to fans as if they were still in their youth. And when he does get "deep" (Doom and Gloom, Getta Grip, etc.) it all sounds phony and contrived. Keith on the other hand has been able to age gracefully as far as songwriting goes (Robbed Blind, Illusion, Just a Gift, etc.), and whether one likes Crosseyed Heart or not, it's clear he wasn't trying to be something he's not. Since they couldn't see eye to eye on Getta Grip/England Lost, probably best if they kept with blues covers at this point. Otherwise, we may be waiting forever for a new album of originals that they both can agree on, and any compromises could result in a disjointed hodgepodge of Mick vs. Keith ideas.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: January 26, 2018 19:52

Hairball
Bashlets
There is no financial incentive for most artists to record now a days. That's why concert tickets for most acts are through the roof. If there was great money to be made, they would be making records. And just like our lives, their lives have changed. They could put out another Sticky Fingers but it still wouldn't give us the thrill that we got at age 16. No matter how good the album is it will not bring us back to our youth

Maybe it could speak to us as adults in the same way Dylan's latter day albums have done for some of us - my favorite Dylan album is Time Out of Mind from '97 (with Blood on the Track from '75 not far behind).
But with Mick writing/singing about roosters, cocks, titties, and beer, etc., seems he's hellbent on speaking to fans as if they were still in their youth. And when he does get "deep" (Doom and Gloom, Getta Grip, etc.) it all sounds phony and contrived. Keith on the other hand has been able to age gracefully as far as songwriting goes (Robbed Blind, Illusion, Just a Gift, etc.), and whether one likes Crosseyed Heart or not, it's clear he wasn't trying to be something he's not. Since they couldn't see eye to eye on Getta Grip/England Lost, probably best if they kept with blues covers at this point. Otherwise, we may be waiting forever for a new album of originals that they both can agree on, and any compromises could result in a disjointed hodgepodge of Mick vs. Keith ideas.

...very, very true.

Sounds like the neckshot for that album on this forum tho'; given their creative age, and the endless doubt there always seems to be with every latter-day Stones' output...

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: January 26, 2018 20:17

my biggest fear with the new album is the lyrics. There is a difference between being outrageous vs just being juvenile. Unfortunately we have had more juvenile post 1981 imho

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 27, 2018 05:30

Dylan writing "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" wasn't writing about sex in the same terms Jagger-Richards were. Yes, I thought songs like "Rough Justice" and "Oh No, Not You Again" were forced and juvenile, but I don't suddenly expect them to not be themselves either. CROSSEYED HEART isn't LOVE AND THEFT or TIME OUT OF MIND. Keith may aim for rootsy elder statesman status, but he also isn't Peter Pan. Dylan isn't likely to write "bare your breasts and make me feel at home" and then say we've both been unfaithful, let's get over ourselves and move on the way Keith did with "This Place is Empty." Likewise, Mick can still write about coke as if its a woman and the reverse and you suddenly think the guy still has it. It's just the lazy rhymes "the moon is yellow / I'm like Jello" and if she really was "awful bright and awful smart" she would have told him rivers holding hands with the sea was absolutely cringe-worthy. For me, it's more an issue of quality control than maturity. Jagger and Richards can be funny, charming, and loving family men, but they're both rogues and always will be. Dylan is something else altogether.

Date: January 27, 2018 08:08

Interesting Rocky, but rest assured I was not equating Crosseyed Heart with Time Out of Mind (or Love and Theft) as Dylan is no doubt in a league of his own, and something else altogether as you say. My point - and this is just my opinion - is that the music and lyrics Keith has produced in these latter years is less cringeworthy than what Mick has come up with and delivered. While Keith was recording a stripped down album in an old school style, Mick is recording singles with drum loops and samples. While Keith writes about the ups and downs of love and life(Illusion, Just a Gift, Amnesia, et al) Mick is jumping on the latest political bandwagon with Getta Grip and England Lost. While Keith is recording a cover of an ancient Lead Belly tune, Mick is hiring the young hot shot Skepta for his latest single. While Keith was honoring Mary Clayton at the Apollo, Mick was on stage with Taylor Swift. While Keith is currently collaborating with soul singer Bettye LaVette, Mick was collaborating with the likes of Will.I.Am and Superheavy. It's great that Mick still strives to be seen as 'experimental' and 'edgy' and 'contemporary', but most of the time the results leave a foul taste for those us who would rather hear something a bit more subtle from a 74 year old Great Grandfather, and ultimately it all makes him seem out of touch imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-27 08:37 by Hairball.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 27, 2018 08:51

Hairball
Interesting Rocky, but rest assured I was not equating Crosseyed Heart with Time Out of Mind (or Love and Theft) as Dylan is no doubt in a league of his own, and something else altogether as you say. My point - and this is just my opinion - is that the music and lyrics Keith has produced in these latter years is less cringeworthy than what Mick has come up with and delivered. While Keith was recording a stripped down album in an old school style, Mick is recording singles with drum loops and samples. While Keith writes about the ups and downs of love and life(Illusion, Just a Gift, Amnesia, et al) Mick is jumping on the latest political bandwagon with Getta Grip and England Lost. While Keith is recording a cover of an ancient Lead Belly tune, Mick is hiring the young hot shot Skepta for his latest single. While Keith was honoring Mary Clayton at the Apollo, Mick was on stage with Taylor Swift. While Keith is currently collaborating with soul singer Bettye LaVette, Mick was collaborating with the likes of Will.I.Am and Superheavy. It's great that Mick still strives to be seen as 'experimental' and 'edgy' and 'contemporary', but most of the time the results leave a foul taste for those us who would rather hear something a bit more subtle from a 74 year old Great Grandfather, and ultimately it all makes him seem out of touch imo.

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: January 27, 2018 11:41

Hairball

thumbs upthumbs up except the Great Grandfather reference. Still waiting ......this thread started on 12/9/16. Wow..lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-27 11:42 by Maindefender.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 27, 2018 14:11

Hmm... seemingly there is not much news about the 'another Stones studio album' at the moment, since this thread is turning into just another 'mature' 'let us praise Richards and bash Jagger' thread, which seems to be very much the agenda of some contributors here (or what they actually have to 'contribute' here). Interesting to read the campaigning and selective reading of recent history and whatever rhetorics applied here. Like there is a some kind of political election coming over. I wonder what will the winner Twin get? Selected as the true genious and heart and soul of the Rolling Stones? The 'loser' to be executed by the majority of and his legacy and memory to be erased from the history by the manner of Brian Jones's?

If 'maturity' is the criterion, I vote Charlie Watts, and leave that notion totally out of in describing Mick and Keith's (our beloved incarnations of Peter Pan and Captain Hook) doings. For those two, I'm with Rocky Dijon to evaluate their creative output in terms of quality control (or in most cases, unfortunately, the lack of it) and keep Pete T's wise words in mind.

It's only IORR, but I like it!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-27 14:18 by Doxa.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 27, 2018 14:20

With no real news available, threads like this turn into freak-shows. As always.

Date: January 27, 2018 14:48

Monsoon Ragoon
With no real news available, threads like this turn into freak-shows. As always.

Yep. I guess our moderator might re-consider this thread's sticky status at the moment, because having such a visible position at the top of the open page, I guess it is too tempting to write whatever OT occurs in one's mind here. For me it is such a disappointment whenever I visit the site and see this thread 'alive', and then open it, there is nothing substantive here, but same old crap repeated again and again (especially the one about supposed Mick vs. Keith controversy - I can see that one might prefer one over other for whatever reasons, but to repeat the same old points and views again and again in whatever context, is just so damn boring and predictable - and especially here: no any informative value).

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-27 14:58 by Doxa.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: January 27, 2018 15:12

With making this thread sticky, BV wants to avoid having "new album"-threads popping up like mushroom.
It's easy: As long as this thread is sticky, there is no real news winking smiley

Doxa
Monsoon Ragoon

Yep. I guess our moderator might re-consider this thread's sticky status at the moment, because having such a visible position at the top of the open page, I guess it is too tempting to write whatever OT occurs in one's mind here. For me it is such a disappointment whenever I visit the site and see this thread 'alive', and then open it, there is nothing substantive here, but same old crap repeated again and again (especially the one about supposed Mick vs. Keith controversy - I can see that one might prefer one over other for whatever reasons, but to repeat the same old points and views again and again in whatever context, is just so damn boring and predictable - and especially here: no any informative value).

- Doxa

Date: January 27, 2018 15:19

<Captain Hook>

Good one! grinning smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 27, 2018 15:26

Hairball
My point - and this is just my opinion - is that the music and lyrics Keith has produced in these latter years is less cringeworthy than what Mick has come up with and delivered. .... It's great that Mick still strives to be seen as 'experimental' and 'edgy' and 'contemporary', but most of the time the results leave a foul taste for those us who would rather hear something a bit more subtle from a 74 year old Great Grandfather, and ultimately it all makes him seem out of touch imo.

Second that.

Date: January 27, 2018 15:30

shattered1978
With making this thread sticky, BV wants to avoid having "new album"-threads popping up like mushroom.
It's easy: As long as this thread is sticky, there is no real news winking smiley

A very good point! (It also shows why BV is a moderator - and knows the things in a larger perspective - and I am not...grinning smiley)

- Doxa

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 27, 2018 15:39

this thread dominated by a few voices as you mention Doxa are prime examples of why this site has deteriorated....nice post above by Rocky...wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments and thoughts expressed.

Date: January 27, 2018 17:12

Captain Hook is a great name for pirate Keith. It also bears consideration that Peter Pan and Captain Hook are the same character, psychologically - but at different stages in their lives. While it might not belong in discussions about the new album, it's hard not to have side conversations and react. That is all that was happening.

We will get a new album and we will have news of the studio soon. Quite possibly around time for the Grammy parties if Mick attends.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 27, 2018 23:35

Rocky Dijon
Captain Hook is a great name for pirate Keith. It also bears consideration that Peter Pan and Captain Hook are the same character, psychologically - but at different stages in their lives. While it might not belong in discussions about the new album, it's hard not to have side conversations and react. That is all that was happening.

We will get a new album and we will have news of the studio soon. Quite possibly around time for the Grammy parties if Mick attends.

Are you 'wishing' we will get more studio / album news soon or are you saying you have this lil personal knowledge tidbit? <jus wonderin>

Date: January 28, 2018 06:11

No insider knowledge. I'm not an insider. Just logical to conclude we'll hear something soon as we did last year. We'll either hear about more studio time or something. The last reliable piece of info from Soldatti is that Universal has it as a tentative release later this year. The holidays are over. Grammy's are here. Knebworth is announced Wednesday. News will come of some sort.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 28, 2018 07:07

Rocky Dijon
No insider knowledge. I'm not an insider. Just logical to conclude we'll hear something soon as we did last year. We'll either hear about more studio time or something. The last reliable piece of info from Soldatti is that Universal has it as a tentative release later this year. The holidays are over. Grammy's are here. Knebworth is announced Wednesday. News will come of some sort.

Oh yeah .. I forgot Soldatti told us that (wonder where he's been anyway?).

I agree... by this time next month I would guess we will know a little more. I wonder if they are recording in India? Or working on stuff there? ... Hmmm? Ronnies there... Where is Keithand Charlie ... Where is Don Was?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 28, 2018 14:32

IanBillen
I wonder if they are recording in India?

Doubtful. Mick's been in NYC recently.

[iorr.org]

Grammys are at MSG tonight. Maybe he'll drop by to pick up the award for Best Traditional Blues Album.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 28, 2018 14:38

Hairball

This is why it should have been a necessity for all of them to establish a solo path way back to the mid/1980s. Mick to do the experimental things and Keith leaving his songs / especially as he is not very productive / to the Stones.
In a 1970s German music lexicon it said that the Stones are not expressing the notion of the times but they are creating them. If we do not want a modern Stones we should not complain about Vegas setlists and be thankful to Mick that he still has that progressive approach to his music that the Stones were once famous for.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 28, 2018 18:30

JJHMick
Hairball

This is why it should have been a necessity for all of them to establish a solo path way back to the mid/1980s. Mick to do the experimental things and Keith leaving his songs / especially as he is not very productive / to the Stones.
In a 1970s German music lexicon it said that the Stones are not expressing the notion of the times but they are creating them. If we do not want a modern Stones we should not complain about Vegas setlists and be thankful to Mick that he still has that progressive approach to his music that the Stones were once famous for.
thumbs up

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 28, 2018 18:32

JJHMick
Hairball

I have no problem with a relative "modern" Stones sound like they tried on Undercover or Bridges. I think Too Much Blood or Anybody Seen My Baby were pretty good. But I have a problem with pseudo-80's-trash like the Jagger single last year.

Date: January 28, 2018 19:51

JJHMick
Hairball

Almost in complete agreement with this. thumbs up

I assume by 'Vegas setlists' you're referring to the the setlists generally speaking as a whole w/all the warhorses for the last couple of decades, and not the abbreviated 18 song final *Vegas show in 2016 when Mick was sick. I for one have never complained about the warhorse dominated setlists as those warhorses are great! A Stones show wouldn't be the same without them! It would be nice though if they had something new to offer during the shows alongside the staples - at least a few "new" songs from the last few decades. Instead, they add a "rarity" like Dancing with Mr.D from '73, and some people go gaga over it. When 95% of the setlist is made up of songs that are decades old, something's not quite right. But this isn;t a complaint, just an observation of the reality.

As for your final sentence, I think you inadvertently nailed it by saying " approach to his music that the Stones were once famous for"...as in past tense. If what he comes up with now was anywhere near to what they produced back when they were a force to be reckoned with, then it would be something to cherish. Instead, Mick's newest offerings are retro-'90's dance/funk with a contemporary in-your-face message. Along with the horrible Sweet Neo-con - another "message" song - these offerings are trash compared to when he was a bit more creative and poetic with his lyrics leaving them a bit more open to interpretation.

But now that they've been Grammy nominated for the blues covers album - which should be considered a win in itself - maybe there will be some rethinking when it comes to whatever new originals they might come up with. Contrast that nomination to how badly Getta Grip/England Lost was received, and the writing is on the wall - the same wall they hit when they couldn't get it together a couple of years ago.

Monsoon Ragoon

I have no problem with a relative "modern" Stones sound like they tried on Undercover or Bridges. I think Too Much Blood or Anybody Seen My Baby were pretty good. But I have a problem with pseudo-80's-trash like the Jagger single last year.

Ditto. thumbs up

(although I think Bridges/Anybody Seen My Baby fell short of the mark).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-28 20:03 by Hairball.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 28, 2018 21:06

I'm waiting on the day that somebody says to me: Your Stones are a retro band. It's like going to see Suzie Quattro.
And to each of my desperately searched for counter arguments (s)he will say something like
Quattro has released more new originals in the 2000s than the Stones.
She has the same per centage of 48 Crash and Parrot Sketch songs like our Stones live. (Yes, Vegas setlist was meant to be a warhorses setlist. Last year they dropped two songs from the opener in Hamburg, no warhorses unfortunately...).

It's hard to follow a success like Blue And Lonesome which somewhere out there somebody might make him claim that they SHOULD be a retro band. So they sent out Mick who is used to be bashed by the press and by us... Gotta Get A Grip and England Lost would have otherwise made our new Undercovers (like I claim that Let's Work would have been appreciated by everybody as a Stones work).

Anything you can do, our Stones can do better!: Sitar playing, disco-Miss You and Mick Taylor doing Carlos Santana on CYHMK etc.

If they had steadily released - like Springsteen, McCartney, Elton John - they would not have to ask themselves how or whether to continue they could have afforded some ups and downs. And we would especially love them for their downs like Their Satanic Majesties.

The Who, at least, try to reinvent themselves from time to time by making a Tommy or a Quadrophenia stadium tour - we were given just one club concert on Sticky Fingers.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: January 28, 2018 23:22

JJHMick

If they had steadily released - [...] - they would not have to ask themselves how or whether to continue they could have afforded some ups and downs. And we would especially love them for their downs [...].

You REALLY have a gigantic point there.

EDIT: removed some of the name references - to prevent the discussion (if any) going 'that way'.

Date: January 29, 2018 00:30

Word has it that the Stones have won the Grammy for their blues cover album! thumbs up
While congratulations are in order, I thought a couple of the other nominees had better overall albums, but going up against the legendary Stones was probably a huge disadvantage to begin with.

So where do they go from here? If they can't cooperate on a new album of originals, I'm all for another blues covers album pt.II.
Just like the first one, they can crank it out in a few days and have it released within weeks and tie it in with the supposed new tour annuoncement.

There's SO many blues tunes they could do justice to - some well known and others not so well known. What are they waiting for?!!!

Date: January 29, 2018 00:35

Enough with the cover albums, it's time for a traditional original Rolling Stones album.....thumbs upthumbs up

Date: January 29, 2018 01:37

Maindefender
Enough with the cover albums, it's time for a traditional original Rolling Stones album.....thumbs upthumbs up

Yeah I suppose so...thirteen years is a lifetime in rock and roll years - the Beatles entire recording career was less than a decade.
To put it in perspective:

Neil Young has released over 10 original albums since A Bigger Bang was released.
Bob Dylan has released three albums of originals, and several covers albums - including a Christmas album!

So yeah, it's about time the Stones add something original to their catalog, but if they can't get it together a Plan B of blues covers pt II would work just as well imo.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...119120121122123124125126127128129...LastNext
Current Page: 124 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home