Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...114115116117118119120121122123124...LastNext
Current Page: 119 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 14, 2018 01:36

GasLightStreet
doitywoik
I guess that "half an album of songs" are the songs that are more or less in the can and that everybody can agree on.

I can't really imagine that Mick might run out of songs or ideas for songs anytime soon (not so sure about Keith, so far as it's about songs that don't all sound the same).

I'll be happy with a 6-8 song LP at this point - without a boringly bad reggae cover.

Consider Mick's non-Stones work the past, oh, 18 years or so - really bad, overall. Throw in his horrible solo-Stones songs (Sweet Neo Con, Streets Of Love and a plethora of others going as far back as VOODOO LOUNGE, with some, like his Kenny Loggins wannabe song that was so bad that fortunately didn't get finished and on through what happened on BRIDGES TO BABYLON and the two horrible LICKS songs Keys To Your Love and Stealing Your Heart and his benign 2 solo songs from 2017) and suddenly Keith's 3 or 4 good ideas take some new weight to them.

If they could just collaborate, whittle down Mick's 20-40 ideas with Keith dictating what's good and Mick being adamant about what is good (and if it's Brown Sugar/Sway/etc kind of good then great)... and Keith adding his bits, then maybe there'd be something pretty good.

It's unfortunate that such a legacy has been watered down so severely since 1989 and was never given a chance to recover enough that a lot of people are pleased with the fact that they'll possibly do something. That is just sad. It's why BLUE AND LONESOME is so awesome - because they did something and it's pretty damn good - the only problem being it's not an original Stones LP.

Hell, a 6 to 8 track LP sounds perfect these days.

I assume you're referring to Mick's Lonely at the Top vs. Kenny Loggins' Footloose, and if so the similarities are pretty clear imo.

Here's live versions of each - both from Live Aid:

Kenny Loggins - Footloose

Mick Jagger - Lonely At The Top

Just listened to the Stones version which is far superior (even though it's still a lame song)- amazing how Mick turned it into such schlock on his solo album and any solo live versions.
And while I'm not a fan of that '80's Kenny Loggins stuff by any means, have to say it's preferable to most of Micks stuff of the same era.
Funny that Mick even does some footloose style '80's dance moves in the above performance!

After reading your entire post, I'm going back to yearning for another blues covers album... at least the songs they cover would be good! thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 14, 2018 01:56

No, it's not Lonely At The Top. It was from the VOODOO sessions. I can't remember what it's called. Something along the lines "Because I'm a hungry man" or "I'm a lonely man" or "I'm your lover man" or some grunting awful thing.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 14, 2018 03:39

GasLightStreet
doitywoik
I guess that "half an album of songs" are the songs that are more or less in the can and that everybody can agree on.

I can't really imagine that Mick might run out of songs or ideas for songs anytime soon (not so sure about Keith, so far as it's about songs that don't all sound the same).

I'll be happy with a 6-8 song LP at this point - without a boringly bad reggae cover.

Consider Mick's non-Stones work the past, oh, 18 years or so - really bad, overall. Throw in his horrible solo-Stones songs (Sweet Neo Con, Streets Of Love and a plethora of others going as far back as VOODOO LOUNGE, with some, like his Kenny Loggins wannabe song that was so bad that fortunately didn't get finished and on through what happened on BRIDGES TO BABYLON and the two horrible LICKS songs Keys To Your Love and Stealing Your Heart and his benign 2 solo songs from 2017) and suddenly Keith's 3 or 4 good ideas take some new weight to them.

If they could just collaborate, whittle down Mick's 20-40 ideas with Keith dictating what's good and Mick being adamant about what is good (and if it's Brown Sugar/Sway/etc kind of good then great)... and Keith adding his bits, then maybe there'd be something pretty good.

It's unfortunate that such a legacy has been watered down so severely since 1989 and was never given a chance to recover enough that a lot of people are pleased with the fact that they'll possibly do something. That is just sad. It's why BLUE AND LONESOME is so awesome - because they did something and it's pretty damn good - the only problem being it's not an original Stones LP.

GasGreenLight: That would be great--but--is that how they work these days? I mean, can they? I don't want to be pessimistic but...hey, I don't know.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: January 14, 2018 04:16

GasLightStreet
No, it's not Lonely At The Top. It was from the VOODOO sessions. I can't remember what it's called. Something along the lines "Because I'm a hungry man" or "I'm a lonely man" or "I'm your lover man" or some grunting awful thing.

Lol...ok. Didn't realize there was another Kenny Loggins wannabe tune in Mick's bag of tricks - sometimes ignorance is bliss.winking smiley

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 14, 2018 04:24

Hairball
GasLightStreet

Lol...ok. Didn't realize there was another Kenny Loggins wannabe tune in Mick's bag of tricks - sometimes ignorance is bliss.winking smiley

Supposedly it was Mr. Loggins who actually wrote Do-do-do-do-do Heart Breaker, Angie .. and 2000 Light Years From Home

... and Mixed Emotions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-14 04:38 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 14, 2018 05:03

Sadly, it is "Honest Man" that our friend GasLight fails to appreciate.

Date: January 14, 2018 05:14

Hairball
GasLightStreet

Jumpin Jack Flash?

Date: January 14, 2018 05:33

Hairball
GasLightStreet

.. Will you settle for 'Start Me Up'?

Date: January 14, 2018 05:59

Rocky Dijon

Hmmm...that's not too bad a song with some nice harp and Stonesy guitar riffage - can't hear the Kenny Loggins in it!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 14, 2018 07:27

JumpingKentFlash
IanBillen
stonehearted
I just checked page 1 of this thread, which began on December 9, 2016.

At that time, band members were saying they had half an album of material.

Remember how they went into the studio in 2012 and recorded 2 songs in 1 week?

Now it's taking 2 years just to get the other 6 or 7 songs together.

Perhaps the touring every year and only devoting those couple of months each year to concert activity is taking its toll.

Or maybe they just can't come up with new material anymore.

When you've spent the last dozen years dusting off the archives from the back catalogue, it could be hard to build back the momentum to take their music in new directions -- that is, if that's what a new release of original material is intended to do for them.

Maybe a better idea would be to just release a live album of the 2018 tour, round the holidays, and tack their best half dozen tracks or so of recently recorded music onto a bonus disc.

At least that would guarantee better sales of a live album.

Doom & Gloom & One More Shot were not RS songs conceived during that week. Those songs were already written.. one by Mick .. one by Keith. D & G was brought in by Mick .. One More Shot was brought in by Keith. The band simply touched them up writing wise a tad and then recorded them.

The band had half an album done when they said the album was half finished .. not only half an album worth of written material conjured up .. There is a big difference between the two concepts.

As well .. there were some songs that needed reshaped and re-cut possibly according to Woody.

It isn't like in two years all they could come up with was six total songs between Mick .. Keith .. and both Mick and Keith together lol. I think at one point Don Was mentioned Mick having 20-30 songs himself he was bringing to the table (sure.. not fully written..but still song ideas).

The way I see it (and get it from reading between the lines) ...this time is quality .. not quantity on this album. Seems as though they are only letting through and working up and then finally recording the very strongest tracks of the slews .. meaning they only have 6-8 done at this point.

The rest (final selection of tracks for the album) will be finished off within the next couple months .. Then there is your album ready for mixing at some point.

Isn't like they could only muster 6 songs or so in over two friggin years lol

Agree with most of this, but I really do hope that they use quality over quantity this time. I like all the SW to ABB albums, but they do suffer from being too long. Even B&L is a tad too long, but that album is what it is. 10 songs, 1 for Keith (and not being the last song), 1 or 2 covers (one from the last CB album that came out last year would be a nice tribute), keep the genres to a minimum (not another album of rock, blues, soul, dance, electronica, ballads etc. Keep it to rock, blues, 1 ballad and 1 soul song and that's it). When it's more concise, an album usually is stronger. Of course with curve balls added like Keith did on Crosseyeed Heart. If they do add a cover song, it'd be great with that awesome version they always do of Can't Turn You Loose. That's a better showstopper than most of their own songs. They never did a studio version, so now could be a great time to do that. It's the Stones equivalent of Springsteen doing Shout!

Funny because when in my last post, when I mentioned "some decent cover songs" as a possibility to pad out an album (just like in the old days, btw.!), I had this one in mind. It sureley would not hurt! A studio version of "I'll Go Crazy" would also be very nice. This is stuff that has not been covered to death already by other artists.

Date: January 14, 2018 07:47

Hairball
Rocky Dijon

Hmmm...that's not too bad a song with some nice harp and Stonesy guitar riffage - can't hear the Kenny Loggins in it!

It's the line about "I move into the danger zone" that does it for GasLight.

Date: January 14, 2018 08:00

Rocky Dijon

Oh how awful... you figured out the crap song I was on about.

Date: January 14, 2018 08:01

angee
GasLightStreet
doitywoik

GasGreenLight: That would be great--but--is that how they work these days? I mean, can they? I don't want to be pessimistic but...hey, I don't know.

That's why I said "If"!

Date: January 14, 2018 08:02

Rocky Dijon
Hairball
Rocky Dijon

Yer killing me!!!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 14, 2018 08:44

GasLightStreet
Rocky Dijon
Hairball
Rocky Dijon

Yer killing me!!!

Still enough time for Mick to change the lyrics...

Date: January 14, 2018 11:31

GasLightStreet
Rocky Dijon

Oh how awful... you figured out the crap song I was on about.

That one is just Sweet Thing rocked up a bit. The lyrics, well...

Only Jagger, Watts and Leavell (no Keith and Ronnie), as far as I can hear..

Date: January 14, 2018 14:29

GasLightStreet
Yer killing me!!!

I keep a spreadsheet of what irritates you and gotdablouse. I cross-check it from time to time to make sure it's up-to-date and then use a pivot table to chart your similarities and differences. Even more fascinating is the one I built for Dandy and Rockman. Most people on IORR have a counterpart. I've paired Ian with Hairball and 35love with Chatoyancy. I've done this for 7 or 8 years now and have offered B.V. predictors of IORRian behavior so he can pre-plan periods of high maintenance.

Yes, I'm kidding. I just wanted to use "pre=plan" around GasLight on a Sunday morning and make him spit his coffee on his laptop again.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 14, 2018 15:40

retired_dog
JumpingKentFlash
IanBillen
stonehearted
I just checked page 1 of this thread, which began on December 9, 2016.

At that time, band members were saying they had half an album of material.

Remember how they went into the studio in 2012 and recorded 2 songs in 1 week?

Now it's taking 2 years just to get the other 6 or 7 songs together.

Perhaps the touring every year and only devoting those couple of months each year to concert activity is taking its toll.

Or maybe they just can't come up with new material anymore.

When you've spent the last dozen years dusting off the archives from the back catalogue, it could be hard to build back the momentum to take their music in new directions -- that is, if that's what a new release of original material is intended to do for them.

Maybe a better idea would be to just release a live album of the 2018 tour, round the holidays, and tack their best half dozen tracks or so of recently recorded music onto a bonus disc.

At least that would guarantee better sales of a live album.

Doom & Gloom & One More Shot were not RS songs conceived during that week. Those songs were already written.. one by Mick .. one by Keith. D & G was brought in by Mick .. One More Shot was brought in by Keith. The band simply touched them up writing wise a tad and then recorded them.

The band had half an album done when they said the album was half finished .. not only half an album worth of written material conjured up .. There is a big difference between the two concepts.

As well .. there were some songs that needed reshaped and re-cut possibly according to Woody.

It isn't like in two years all they could come up with was six total songs between Mick .. Keith .. and both Mick and Keith together lol. I think at one point Don Was mentioned Mick having 20-30 songs himself he was bringing to the table (sure.. not fully written..but still song ideas).

The way I see it (and get it from reading between the lines) ...this time is quality .. not quantity on this album. Seems as though they are only letting through and working up and then finally recording the very strongest tracks of the slews .. meaning they only have 6-8 done at this point.

The rest (final selection of tracks for the album) will be finished off within the next couple months .. Then there is your album ready for mixing at some point.

Isn't like they could only muster 6 songs or so in over two friggin years lol

Agree with most of this, but I really do hope that they use quality over quantity this time. I like all the SW to ABB albums, but they do suffer from being too long. Even B&L is a tad too long, but that album is what it is. 10 songs, 1 for Keith (and not being the last song), 1 or 2 covers (one from the last CB album that came out last year would be a nice tribute), keep the genres to a minimum (not another album of rock, blues, soul, dance, electronica, ballads etc. Keep it to rock, blues, 1 ballad and 1 soul song and that's it). When it's more concise, an album usually is stronger. Of course with curve balls added like Keith did on Crosseyeed Heart. If they do add a cover song, it'd be great with that awesome version they always do of Can't Turn You Loose. That's a better showstopper than most of their own songs. They never did a studio version, so now could be a great time to do that. It's the Stones equivalent of Springsteen doing Shout!

Funny because when in my last post, when I mentioned "some decent cover songs" as a possibility to pad out an album (just like in the old days, btw.!), I had this one in mind. It sureley would not hurt! A studio version of "I'll Go Crazy" would also be very nice. This is stuff that has not been covered to death already by other artists.

It’s basically a party rock song the way the Stones do it. Frickin’ love it!

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: January 14, 2018 18:49

Monsoon Ragoon
Why not release an Christmas Album? The can manage it until November, they don't need to write songs etc. And they have the age. Would be horrible? Well, wasn't ABB horrible as well ;-)

Another album of cheesy Christmas standards (not that I dislike them, for a couple of days in a year), as done before by many other artists? Or maybe a reinterpretation of their own repertoire ...

I laid traps for Rudolph and Vixen,
when Santa sold his soul (well, at least his green suit)
at the Coke convention in 1965 …. ?

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 14, 2018 22:02

zumabitch
Monsoon Ragoon
Why not release an Christmas Album? The can manage it until November, they don't need to write songs etc. And they have the age. Would be horrible? Well, wasn't ABB horrible as well ;-)

Another album of cheesy Christmas standards (not that I dislike them, for a couple of days in a year), as done before by many other artists? Or maybe a reinterpretation of their own repertoire ...

I laid traps for Rudolph and Vixen,
when Santa sold his soul (well, at least his green suit)
at the Coke convention in 1965 …. ?

I hope it remains my joke ;-)

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 14, 2018 23:05

retired_dog
Even this thread continuing until page 336 won't change a thing - the "new album" will not be top priority,

Can't anybody initiate a petition for them to finish the bloody album so that we can close the bloody thread? grinning smiley

GasLightStreet
... - without a boringly bad reggae cover. ...

+1!!!!!!!!!!!

It's definitely time for Keith to get his separate reggae playground as a side project (or garbage dump ...), kind of "Keith Richards' Genuinely Jamaican Roots Reggae Experience" winking smiley He might dispose songs such as Infamy there as well ...

exhpart
ABB is not half as bad as some of you make out.

Second that. To me, it's an OK to good album (perhaps a tad too long), just with horrible production. I don't even find Neo-Con so bad, it's got a catchy hook. There's worse stuff on ABB (see above).

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 14, 2018 23:23

13th January .... is there a good studio down in India or is Mick just wantin' to fly a Stones tongue at the Festival of Kites ....?????????????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 14, 2018 23:31

As we see, there is no rush to finish the album, family and personal time is their #1 priority.

Date: January 15, 2018 00:14

Maybe taking sitar lessons in India for the new album? smiling smiley

Or maybe visiting and writing songs with the guy from Superheavy?

Date: January 15, 2018 00:25

...kites ... sitars...Noor or whatever.... Mick looks so friggin' healthy ....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 15, 2018 00:35

Rockman
13th January .... is there a good studio down in India or is Mick just wantin' to fly a Stones tongue at the Festival of Kites ....?????????????

Indian session players are cheaper.

Date: January 15, 2018 00:50

....chod !!!!! ... that's a bit rough .... ^^^^^

ROCKMAN

Date: January 15, 2018 02:00

Mick was always trying to save a buck, no?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 15, 2018 02:42

georgelicks
As we see, there is no rush to finish the album, family and personal time is their #1 priority.

Where is the family?? Mick might as well be finishing tracks.....grinning smiley

Date: January 15, 2018 02:59

Mick was always trying to save a buck, no?

Well yeah so the story goes ...but then again never heard of Keith...Charlie ...or Ronnie complain ...

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...114115116117118119120121122123124...LastNext
Current Page: 119 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1629
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home