Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 28, 2017 23:56

It looks like some people just don't get it: the Stones is not a priotity anymore, 2 band members had childrens during the last 6-8 months, another one will be 76 years old in 100 days, private life is about 80-90% of their time now and with all the guys on their 70's is perfect, they won't work their ass off after 55 years, a new album will be released at some point, it could be this year or the next one, they just released a new one and is still selling great, it looks like there's no need to release another one so soon and the band knows it, the record company too and if they play a couple of big shows in Europe this summer sales should remain strong during all 2017.

The Stones are slowing down people, we should be happy if the band remains 10% active during the next years.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 1, 2017 00:17

I think some of us 'get it' georgelicks, but when there's recent headlines, articles, and quotes as seen below , it makes for speculation and conversation:

The Rolling Stones are not done, by a long shot.
Mick Jagger told me a few nights ago that the next Stones album will not be covers but new songs. “I’m working on on new songs now.”

Now if Mick and other band members would publicly state everything you just said rather than spouting off about a new album, then there would be no reason to speculate.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 1, 2017 02:13

If indeed another album is forthcoming then they will have to put some work in, probably more than they want. Plus Keith won't let Charlie quit....haha

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 1, 2017 02:16

Well I appreciate Jagger keeping the hope alive.
Kinda grim around here these days (world in general)
and that the RS are still together, creating art for us,
thank you.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 1, 2017 02:32

edit - wrong thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-01 02:49 by Hairball.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: March 1, 2017 02:46

Hairball
True enough Ian, but when Ronnie stated that after they 'hit the wall' they might dump everything and have to 'start from scratch', it leaves the impression that those sessions came to a standstill with no point in moving forward.
Sure they can get back to them in the hopes of working them out, but not sure that's being very productive this late in the game. Like a stalemate in a game of chess - you can keep going in circles with no positive outcome in sight.

Yep.. I can dig. Still that was only in December in which they hit the wall and Ronnie said they may 'recut' all the tunes as I understand it .. not scrap them .. (not to get to wordy) .. but I thought he meant do retakes of all of them.

You are right in that some times the session / sessions just don't bore fruit. They have had a hand full of studio segments over the last 14 months ..

Mick stated a while ago they had half an album worth of material. So they have to have something .. or at least one heck of a start you'd think. I mean lets face it.. it's been what .. going on 15 months now in which theey had mini sessions ('short bursts' as Was put it).

Ian

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 1, 2017 10:55

georgelicks
It looks like some people just don't get it: the Stones is not a priotity anymore, 2 band members had childrens during the last 6-8 months, another one will be 76 years old in 100 days, private life is about 80-90% of their time now and with all the guys on their 70's is perfect, they won't work their ass off after 55 years, a new album will be released at some point, it could be this year or the next one, they just released a new one and is still selling great, it looks like there's no need to release another one so soon and the band knows it, the record company too and if they play a couple of big shows in Europe this summer sales should remain strong during all 2017.

The Stones are slowing down people, we should be happy if the band remains 10% active during the next years.

We're only talking about recording 8/10 new songs after 12 years. I think it's not so difficult nowadays. It seems an impossible task!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-01 10:59 by KRiffhard.

Mick working on new songs
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: March 2, 2017 10:24

Not sure if it's already on here somewhere but I have just read this, it sounds genuine enough.

Trouble is I think they will have a job to have the same success as blue and lonesome

[www.kshe95.com]

Re: Mick working on new songs
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: March 2, 2017 10:28

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 2, 2017 10:46

Sure would be nice

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 2, 2017 10:59

"All things will come to he who waits "

grinning smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 2, 2017 11:06

Mick is getting to sound like ROGER WATERS.
A UK Desert Island Discs programme years ago had him stating he was 'writing more new material' than ever before.
Finally, after a very long pause 2017 may see him release a new solo album.

Waters, The Stones (except Charlie) should say nothing....then just let their record company issue a statement confirming the release date of the new album.
In other words, follow Dylan's example.

Date: March 2, 2017 11:13

IMO the release, the very existence, of "Blue & Lonesome" has rehabilitated Mick and the band.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 2, 2017 11:23

Yeah...but the trouble is they soon nod off back to sleep if they don't get on with something ! winking smiley

[Not a bad idea actually....

...I'm going to bed. Wake me up when they release something ]

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 2, 2017 12:14

It is a bit of hopeful news, but it would have been so much sweeter if Mick said, "Keith and I are writing some new songs together."

Date: March 2, 2017 15:22

MKjan
It is a bit of hopeful news, but it would have been so much sweeter if Mick said, "Keith and I are writing some new songs together."

thumbs up

Date: March 4, 2017 20:46

I’m working on on new songs now" MJ

"I was working on it quite recently. We've got a long way to go, but I think it sounds really great and I'm looking forward to carrying on with that." MJ

"I've been writing this week. I've written a lot of new songs lately..." MJ

"(...) But i think it would be nice to do new songs and go in a new direction with them" MJ

"There's about 10 or 12 new songs that Mick actually has been cooking up," RW

A new Stones album or a Jagger solo album with Stones overdubs (like 'Doom and Gloom')?!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-04 20:54 by KRiffhard.

Re: Another album in 2017?
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 4, 2017 21:37

KRiffhard
"There's about 10 or 12 new songs that Mick actually has been cooking up" RW

Ronnie's FULL quote - "There's about 10 or 12 new songs that Mick actually has been cooking up, and Keith's got the odd one, too."

[www.rollingstone.com]
---

"I've got three songs and they're dynamite. I don't want to make any decisions about this until the record comes out because I think it might change Mick's attitude, it might change mine.

"I want to see the fallout from this record before I decide whether I want to record 40 of Mick's songs or whether he wants to sit down with me and record some songs together. That's my thing. That's my ball there.

"I've got a few songs on the back burner and so does Mick - he writes a lot. I don't.

"I tend to concentrate on two or three really interesting riffs or ideas, rather than being prolific." - Keith in UNCUT, January 2017

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 4, 2017 22:05

Be careful what you wish for. Do you really want another out pouring of weak Jagger/Richards efforts....I think it's fairly well established that they can't write a decent song these days, and to be brutally honest, their last efforts at times were cringing.

There comes a time when you have to accept that the formula you use needs to be changed and they did this so well with Blue and Lonesome, why not change direction for any new writing. It would sad to hear more crap like ABB, these guys are old age pensioners and the lyrics sound, well, just wrong for blokes that age. They ain't going to write anything of note these days, so stick to doing covers, let's have another Blue and Lonesome but maybe more country, soul and reggae songs.

I really don't want to see any of their last recordings to be flops, it would be such a shame for a band like the Stones to fizzle out. THeir best material was in the 60s, and 70s , we are now in 2017.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: March 4, 2017 22:43

I say dig thru the vaults and do a a TATTOO YOU 2

Re: Another album in 2017?
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 4, 2017 23:21

That possibility was mentioned in the December Rolling Stone article:

Richards suggests that at least some of the songs might be unfinished compositions that date back 15 years or more.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: March 5, 2017 00:17

Bashlets
I say dig thru the vaults and do a a TATTOO YOU 2

thumbs up
There are great outtakes and hidden gems to make another album a la Tattoo You.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: March 5, 2017 00:25

honest man could be a great new single .....

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 5, 2017 01:03

mariano

A 24 years old song new? eye rolling smiley

Tattoo You has songs from 1972 to 1981, the oldest one had 9 years at time of release.

Now on 2017 we have to go to 12-13 years ago to find the NEW outtakes, some of them (Nothing On Me, Illusion, Trouble) were used by Keith on his latest solo album.

Mick has over 40 new songs written during the last 10 years, he did use 2/3 songs on Superheavy + Doom and Gloom 5 years ago, Keith has 2/3 riffs or ideas, very much on the "One More Shot" type I bet and a ballad.

We'll get that, the best of Mick's demos (or the most 'Stones sounding' ones) with a couple of Keith contributions here and there.

After 55 years we can't ask for more, a decent set of new songs at this point, not more than that.

Date: March 5, 2017 01:27

so much people out there, whose buy tickets nowadays, don´t know anything about that sort of staff .... remember that

on the other hand, i agree with you.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 5, 2017 02:37

KRiffhard
I’m working on on new songs now" MJ

"I was working on it quite recently. We've got a long way to go, but I think it sounds really great and I'm looking forward to carrying on with that." MJ

"I've been writing this week. I've written a lot of new songs lately..." MJ

"(...) But i think it would be nice to do new songs and go in a new direction with them" MJ

"There's about 10 or 12 new songs that Mick actually has been cooking up," RW

Mick's job is to keep this alive in the media. Obviously, PR is one of the things he excels that. Mick saying that he's working on new songs, etc. has nothing to do with if or when the Stones will record a new album.

A new Stones album or a Jagger solo album with Stones overdubs (like 'Doom and Gloom')?!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 5, 2017 02:43

georgelicks
mariano

A 24 years old song new? eye rolling smiley

Tattoo You has songs from 1972 to 1981, the oldest one had 9 years at time of release.

Now on 2017 we have to go to 12-13 years ago to find the NEW outtakes, some of them (Nothing On Me, Illusion, Trouble) were used by Keith on his latest solo album.

Mick has over 40 new songs written during the last 10 years, he did use 2/3 songs on Superheavy + Doom and Gloom 5 years ago, Keith has 2/3 riffs or ideas, very much on the "One More Shot" type I bet and a ballad.

We'll get that, the best of Mick's demos (or the most 'Stones sounding' ones) with a couple of Keith contributions here and there.

After 55 years we can't ask for more, a decent set of new songs at this point, not more than that.

A 24 years old song new?

Why not? It's a ROLLING STONES song. They wrote it, but did not release it until now. At this point I don't see the difference between a 9 year gap (Tattoo You I) or a 45 year gap between releasing a GREAT new version of Fast Talking Slow Walking.

Why NOT go into the recording studio and make an album like this:
- New 2017 versions of three/four old outtakes (Honest Man thumbs up, Fast Talking Slow Walking, Strictly Memphis, unknown outtakes...there must be a few...)
- Two songs written by Keith
- Four/Five songs written by Mick
- One song written by Ronnie (Jagger, Richards, Wood)
- One cover song

Date: March 5, 2017 03:18

yep, now i´m thinking on PLACE PIGALLE BOXSET

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: March 5, 2017 04:44

Good to hear the Stones are still on it. Sounds like this project is just a grab bag of various songs written in various scenarios / ways thus far.. AND we got a special album out of it as a by product of all of this.. Blue & Lonesome .. which is just truly special indeed - !

Possibly in Spring they will get together and really nail this thing down.. I mean .. that is what is needed .. they need to get to it and start to nail this thing down at some point ... righto? How do I know it's not finished or mostly complete already you may ask? = Don Was and Mick Jagger say it's not ..

Ian

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: March 5, 2017 05:46

georgelicks

George is perfectly correct. The Stones are not the same band they were. We are in a very different era for the boys. Priorities have certainly changed. They have had opportunities to get together but personal schedules conflicted.

Just because a few of them are working on songs at home, doesn't mean the next step is to record them. Having said that, if they can keep in forward motion, maybe they will eventually go in the studio and find magic again.

But any comparisons of previous years or album cycles is completely useless. We are nearing the end of the greatest rock band in history. Prepare and enjoy every opportunity you can. Have hope. But now would also be a good times for fans to have a reality check and become realist.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1477
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home