Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 27, 2017 18:33

Monsoon Ragoon
IanBillen
Monsoon Ragoon
gotdablouse
Doesn't "Sheep Dip Blues" have an early version of Heaven ? Let's see...yes [dbboots.com] with a date shown as 11/10/1980 although the original OBR record states all the tracks came from 77/78.

Heaven I (early version) is also a ER-leftover, recorded June-October 1979 according to www.nzentgraf.de

Wikipedia states Neighbors (and Heaven) are not from previous sessions and in fact that those two songs are notable for being the only two songs 'new' ..with no history before sessions began for Tattoo You. It lists the recording dates, who played on what, and what inspired the writing for the song. Mick wrote the song about Keith being evicted from his NYC apartment (... which occurred ..'after'.. ER had been released).

Time is on Our Side (quite a credible website) along with several other music websites also list the songs as being recorded for Tattoo you with no previous sessions. It lists the same recording dates for the song. However it lists all the other songs on TY and their respective recording sessions as well ..>> All of them .. except for Neighbors and Heaven are listed as dating back to sessions from previous albums.

'Neighbors' and 'Heaven' were brand new songs.. written / intended / 100% recorded for for Tattoo You at Path Marconi Studios in Paris France with no previous history.

Wikipedia a better source than Zentgraf? Good joke.

The music for Neighbours was written and the song was recorded between June and October 1979, before ER was released, hence it being recorded for ER. The lyrics may've been written or partially written after Keith blaring ER but Keith blared anything a lot before and after ER.

Chris Kimsey has only talked about previous sessions recordings being used for TATTOO YOU. They wouldn't get together for just 2 songs in Paris back then. They recorded bottoms, Mick wrote lyrics later.

Wikipedia? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No where has there ever been new recordings (ie all 5 band members recording bottoms) done mentioned by Kimsey or any of the Stones that I've ever been aware of. Only timeisonourside.com and keno.org mention that.

It was all leftovers being worked on.

Tattoo You really came about because Mick and Keith were going through a period of not getting on. There was a need to have an album out, and I told everyone I could make an album from what I knew was still there.
- Chris Kimsey

I spent 3 months going through like the last 4, 5 albums finding stuff that had been either forgotten about or at the time rejected. And then I presented it to the band and I said, Hey, look guys, you've got all this great stuff sitting in the can and it's great material, do something with it.
- Chris Kimsey, 1982

It's just that those songs didn't seem to fit on any album until now. We tried to use them before but they didn't seem to work. They're good songs though. But you know every album has a lot of oldies on it, and has done for years. We've used, like, Sweet Virginia which was on Exile On Main Street. That was recorded from before Beggars Banquet (sic).
- Mick Jagger, 1981

(T)here's still loads (from those sessions). I mean, we could get another album out of that bunch. But that's an advantage you don't think about, really, with a band that goes on for a long time. One way or another, you end up with a backlog of really good stuff that, for one reason or another, you didn't get the chance to finish or put out because it was the wrong tempo or too long - purely technical reasons, you know? Sometimes we write our songs in installments - just get the melody and the music, and we'll cut the tracks and write the words later. That way, the actual tracks have matured, just like wine - yuou just leave it in the cellar for a bit, and it comes out a little better a few years later. It's stupid to LEAVE all that great stuff just for want of finishing it off and getting it together.
- Keith Richards, 1981

Well, you know, I don't think there's anything bad in using stuff (from) previous sessions. We recorded 20, 25 tracks and if you go on and if I say to everyone, Well... the first tracks to be finished are the ones that are gonna be on the album - if a track's not finished or if people have got doubts about it, then we'll save it, we'll recut it, throw it out the window, or put it on a future album.
- Mick Jagger, 1982

I thought Mick did a great job with Tattoo You. There were only one or two things I went back on with Bob Clearmountain (who mixed the album). My main complaint in the beginning with the recording of this record was that they were hopping around using different studios and it started to seem a bit chaotic. In actual fact, Mick pulled it all together. He did a great job in organizing it. It was up to Mick because it was Mick's contributions that weren't recorded. What was missing ws Mick's normal contribution to a Rolling Stones track - the vocals.
- Keith Richards, 1983

(T)hat's an old record. It's all a lot of old tracks that I dug out. And it was very strange circumstances. Chris Kimsey and I went though all the tracks from those two previous records. It wasn't all outtakes; some of it was old songs. And then I went back and found previous ones like Waiting on a Friend, from Goats Head Soup. They're all from different periods. Then I had to write lyrics and melodies. A lot of them didn't have anything, which is why they weren't used at the time - because they weren't complete. They were just bits, or they were from early takes. And then I put them all together in an incredibly cheap fashion. I recorded in this place in Paris in the middle of winter. And then I recorded some of it in a broom cupboard, literally, where we did the vocals. The rest of the band were hardly involved. And then I took it to Bob Clearmountain, who did this great job of mixing so that it doesn't sound like it's from different periods.
- Mick Jagger, 1995

For Tattoo You, Mick and Chris Kimsey realised that there was a lot of great music that we had recorded in the past that had never been released, particularly from all the material we had amassed during the Emotional Rescue sessions. So they went back and started sifting through it all, and eventually got to the point where they got up to here with it, and said, Let's not go any further, and used songs like Waiting on a Friend.
- Ron Wood, 2003

[www.timeisonourside.com]

790621A 10th June - 7th July & late July - 25th August & 12th September - 19th October:
Boulogne-Billancourt (near Paris), France, Pathé Marconi Studios. Producers:
The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey. Additional musicians:
Bobby Keys (sax)/Sugar Blue (harm)/Martin Gordon (bass; two days in
September)/Boz Scaggs (voc, gtr)
- Dance I (MJ/KR/RW) -early lyrics
- Dance II (MJ/KR/RW) -early lyrics, with `three, four..."-count-in
- Dance III (MJ/KR/RW) -early lyrics with `two, three, four"-count-in
- Dance IV (MJ/KR/RW) -first early version with original intro
- Down In The Hole I (MJ/KR) -early version with partly different lyrics
- Emotional Rescue II (MJ/KR) -long version
- Hang Fire III (MJ/KR) -with some falsetto vocals
- Hang Fire IV (MJ/KR) -first version with ‘doo doo doo’-chorus
- Heaven I (MJ/KR) -early version with guide vocals
- Indian Girl I (MJ/KR) -unverified early version without horns
- Instrumental ( ) -unverified
- It's A Lie I (MJ/KR) -with harmonica intro
- It's A Lie II (MJ/KR) -with drums intro
- Jah Is Not Dead (MJ/KR) -with Boz Scaggs sharing vocals and on guitar
- Jam ( ) -with Bobby Keys; unverified
- Let Me Go I (MJ/KR) -without sax
- Let Me Go II (MJ/KR) -’Emotional Rescue’-version
- Neighbours I (MJ/KR) -early version with guide vocals
- No Use In Crying I (MJ/KR/RW) -shorter early version
- No Use In Crying II (MJ/KR/RW) -longer early version
- No Use In Crying III (MJ/KR/RW) -similar to version II, but organ sets in earlier
- No Use In Crying IV (MJ/KR/RW) -edit of early version
- Send It To Me I (MJ/KR) -long version with vocals
- Summer Romance IV (MJ/KR) -more finished lyrics than III
- Summer Romance V (MJ/KR) -finished lyrics, but diff. vocal take, one guitar less
- Summer Romance VI (MJ/KR) -finished lyrics, plus bvoc; long version of VII
- “Time Flies” (MJ/KR) -unverified, title unsure; with Martin Gordon on bass
- Tones (MJ/KR?) -unverified
- We Had It All I (Troy Seals/Donny Fritts) -without harmonica
- We Had It All II (Troy Seals/Donny Fritts) -version I with harmonica
- We Had It All III (Troy Seals/Donny Fritts) -more finished version
- Where The Boys Go III (MJ/KR) -’Where The Boys All Go’-version, 1st version
with proper intro
- Where The Boys Go IV (MJ/KR) -different lead vocals, no girls choir, longer solo
- Where The Boys Go V (MJ/KR) -version used for thermo-promo

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Further work done was only Mick Jagger and very little wise from Keith, as Keith stated, in 1980. 1981 was Sonny Rollins etc.

The 5 members of The Rolling Stones did not record new bottoms/new songs post-October 1979 EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 27, 2017 18:50

frankotero
I feel something happened with Mick upon the B&L release. I say this because in an interview he seemed really put off that this record is a hit, kind of shocked like it wasn't suppose to be. That's the impression I got. Maybe I'm wrong. Don't want to sound mean but maybe he believes new age stuff like SuperHeavy is the way to go versus old school music. Anyhow, I'm not feeling confident there will be a new Stones album. Hope I'm wrong though.

Interesting view.
I'd figured the only way B&L got made and released was because Mick believed in it. He has such a big role in it.

I don't understand what Keith meant by saying the album reaction might change Mick's mind, might change his mind. Maybe they were worried the album would flop and so they wouldn't bother doing a follow-up?
It seems to me they have worried too much about their audience for decades.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 27, 2017 19:01

wonderboy
frankotero
I feel something happened with Mick upon the B&L release. I say this because in an interview he seemed really put off that this record is a hit, kind of shocked like it wasn't suppose to be. That's the impression I got. Maybe I'm wrong. Don't want to sound mean but maybe he believes new age stuff like SuperHeavy is the way to go versus old school music. Anyhow, I'm not feeling confident there will be a new Stones album. Hope I'm wrong though.

Interesting view.
I'd figured the only way B&L got made and released was because Mick believed in it. He has such a big role in it.

I don't understand what Keith meant by saying the album reaction might change Mick's mind, might change his mind. Maybe they were worried the album would flop and so they wouldn't bother doing a follow-up?
It seems to me they have worried too much about their audience for decades.

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBVIOUSLY! Can you say Might As Well Get Juiced? DIRTY WORK? Sweet Neo Con? Streets Of Love? Gunface? Rock And A Hard Place? Sparks Will Fly? Keys To Your Love? Always Suffering? Can't Be Seen? Already Over Me? Stealing My Heart? Hold On To Your Hat? You Got Me Rocking? Following The River?

Keith probably means the aspect of sales and charting, which the world knows is very important to Mick Jagger in terms of if something is successful. Which should make the world say in unison, then why have you done 3 horrible solo albums?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 27, 2017 23:12

Exclusive: Mick Jagger Says Working on New Songs for Next Rolling Stones Album Following Blues Hit

by Roger Friedman - February 27, 2017

The Rolling Stones are not done, by a long shot.

Mick Jagger told me a few nights ago that the next Stones album will not be covers but new songs. “I’m working on on new songs now.”

The Stones had a huge hit this winter with “Blue and Lonesome,” their album of blues covers. “B&L” was their biggest hit in years, and sustained itself on the charts much longer than anyone would have guessed.

Now, building on that momentum, Mick says the new album will be new. The Stones are eying their 55th anniversary next, after a triumphant 50th celebration that has almost never ended.

Mick brought three of his kids to the Vanity Fair Oscar party last night, and has never seemed in a better mood. He laughed when I asked him about a Tweet he put out the other day. A rumor started that he was bringing rising star Priyanka Chopra to the stars. “I’m not even going to the Oscars!” Mick Tweeted. And he didn’t.

But a new Stones album? Bring it on. I don’t care how old they are. It’s a sound I will never tire of!

[www.showbiz411.com]

Date: February 27, 2017 23:23

thumbs up smileys with beer thumbs up

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 27, 2017 23:37

bye bye johnny
Exclusive: Mick Jagger Says Working on New Songs for Next Rolling Stones Album Following Blues Hit

Mick Jagger told me a few nights ago that the next Stones album will not be covers but new songs. “I’m working on on new songs now.”

The Stones had a huge hit this winter with “Blue and Lonesome,” their album of blues covers. “B&L” was their biggest hit in years, and sustained itself on the charts much longer than anyone would have guessed.

Now, building on that momentum, Mick says the new album will be new. The Stones are eying their 55th anniversary next, after a triumphant 50th celebration that has almost never ended.

Mick brought three of his kids to the Vanity Fair Oscar party last night, and has never seemed in a better mood. He laughed when I asked him about a Tweet he put out the other day. A rumor started that he was bringing rising star Priyanka Chopra to the stars. “I’m not even going to the Oscars!” Mick Tweeted. And he didn’t.

But a new Stones album? Bring it on. I don’t care how old they are. It’s a sound I will never tire of!

[www.showbiz411.com]

That says nothing. He's always working on new songs many of which never see the light of day.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: February 27, 2017 23:49

What a optimism!smoking smiley

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 27, 2017 23:56

He's been working on new songs since 2012 at least, it was a political answer to a guy on a celebrity party, nothing new, he said the same in Luciana Morad's interview a year ago and here we are...

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: February 28, 2017 00:03

So George, honestly...You don't think that there could be a new album of originals in December or so?!And why?!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 28, 2017 00:35

Yes and No... why?

YES because IT LOOKS like they want to release a new album of originals after all, Mick has songs to fill 3 albums by himself.

NO because the Stones is not a priority anymore, they work 2 or 3 months a year with loads of time off for family time or other things, no one wants to spend more than 2 weeks working on a studio, been there, done that.

If you want a new album with new songs you need to work on it, and it looks like it will take time to get the whole thing done.

Keith spent 3+ years doing his solo album and he was a guy only, imagine 3 other ones with new kids, new grandkids, family, 3 or 4 holidays each year, 2-3 months touring, etc.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 28, 2017 04:22

georgelicks
Yes and No... why?

YES because IT LOOKS like they want to release a new album of originals after all, Mick has songs to fill 3 albums by himself.

NO because the Stones is not a priority anymore, they work 2 or 3 months a year with loads of time off for family time or other things, no one wants to spend more than 2 weeks working on a studio, been there, done that.

If you want a new album with new songs you need to work on it, and it looks like it will take time to get the whole thing done.

Keith spent 3+ years doing his solo album and he was a guy only, imagine 3 other ones with new kids, new grandkids, family, 3 or 4 holidays each year, 2-3 months touring, etc.

They are in Nooooooooooo friggin hurry to get this album done.. I think this album will come in the fall if it comes. I don't see another 'Christmas' release time frame type of thing album. They just did this with B & L and it would be sort of corny to try it again. Jagger will be reluctant to all that and rightfully so ...

It will sell well in the fall ...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 28, 2017 04:33

Aside from Blue and lonesome, what has changed since they 'hit the wall' last year with Micks demos?
If Mick has three albums worth on his own, and some aren't 'Stonesy' sounding (to paraphrase him), what will stop them from hitting the same wall when they attempt to get back to work again?
Ronnie mentioned dumping everything and starting from scratch, but where would they go from there? And Keith supposedly has some 'dynamite' tunes...what about them?

Date: February 28, 2017 05:04

GasLightStreet
Monsoon Ragoon
IanBillen
Monsoon Ragoon
gotdablouse
Doesn't "Sheep Dip Blues" have an early version of Heaven ? Let's see...yes [dbboots.com] with a date shown as 11/10/1980 although the original OBR record states all the tracks came from 77/78.

Heaven I (early version) is also a ER-leftover, recorded June-October 1979 according to www.nzentgraf.de

Wikipedia states Neighbors (and Heaven) are not from previous sessions and in fact that those two songs are notable for being the only two songs 'new' ..with no history before sessions began for Tattoo You. It lists the recording dates, who played on what, and what inspired the writing for the song. Mick wrote the song about Keith being evicted from his NYC apartment (... which occurred ..'after'.. ER had been released).

Time is on Our Side (quite a credible website) along with several other music websites also list the songs as being recorded for Tattoo you with no previous sessions. It lists the same recording dates for the song. However it lists all the other songs on TY and their respective recording sessions as well ..>> All of them .. except for Neighbors and Heaven are listed as dating back to sessions from previous albums.

'Neighbors' and 'Heaven' were brand new songs.. written / intended / 100% recorded for for Tattoo You at Path Marconi Studios in Paris France with no previous history.

Wikipedia a better source than Zentgraf? Good joke.

The music for Neighbours was written and the song was recorded between June and October 1979, before ER was released, hence it being recorded for ER. The lyrics may've been written or partially written after Keith blaring ER but Keith blared anything a lot before and after ER.

Chris Kimsey has only talked about previous sessions recordings being used for TATTOO YOU. They wouldn't get together for just 2 songs in Paris back then. They recorded bottoms, Mick wrote lyrics later.

Wikipedia? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No where has there ever been new recordings (ie all 5 band members recording bottoms) done mentioned by Kimsey or any of the Stones that I've ever been aware of. Only timeisonourside.com and keno.org mention that.

It was all leftovers being worked on.

Tattoo You really came about because Mick and Keith were going through a period of not getting on. There was a need to have an album out, and I told everyone I could make an album from what I knew was still there.
- Chris Kimsey

I spent 3 months going through like the last 4, 5 albums finding stuff that had been either forgotten about or at the time rejected. And then I presented it to the band and I said, Hey, look guys, you've got all this great stuff sitting in the can and it's great material, do something with it.
- Chris Kimsey, 1982

It's just that those songs didn't seem to fit on any album until now. We tried to use them before but they didn't seem to work. They're good songs though. But you know every album has a lot of oldies on it, and has done for years. We've used, like, Sweet Virginia which was on Exile On Main Street. That was recorded from before Beggars Banquet (sic).
- Mick Jagger, 1981

(T)here's still loads (from those sessions). I mean, we could get another album out of that bunch. But that's an advantage you don't think about, really, with a band that goes on for a long time. One way or another, you end up with a backlog of really good stuff that, for one reason or another, you didn't get the chance to finish or put out because it was the wrong tempo or too long - purely technical reasons, you know? Sometimes we write our songs in installments - just get the melody and the music, and we'll cut the tracks and write the words later. That way, the actual tracks have matured, just like wine - yuou just leave it in the cellar for a bit, and it comes out a little better a few years later. It's stupid to LEAVE all that great stuff just for want of finishing it off and getting it together.
- Keith Richards, 1981

Well, you know, I don't think there's anything bad in using stuff (from) previous sessions. We recorded 20, 25 tracks and if you go on and if I say to everyone, Well... the first tracks to be finished are the ones that are gonna be on the album - if a track's not finished or if people have got doubts about it, then we'll save it, we'll recut it, throw it out the window, or put it on a future album.
- Mick Jagger, 1982

I thought Mick did a great job with Tattoo You. There were only one or two things I went back on with Bob Clearmountain (who mixed the album). My main complaint in the beginning with the recording of this record was that they were hopping around using different studios and it started to seem a bit chaotic. In actual fact, Mick pulled it all together. He did a great job in organizing it. It was up to Mick because it was Mick's contributions that weren't recorded. What was missing ws Mick's normal contribution to a Rolling Stones track - the vocals.
- Keith Richards, 1983

(T)hat's an old record. It's all a lot of old tracks that I dug out. And it was very strange circumstances. Chris Kimsey and I went though all the tracks from those two previous records. It wasn't all outtakes; some of it was old songs. And then I went back and found previous ones like Waiting on a Friend, from Goats Head Soup. They're all from different periods. Then I had to write lyrics and melodies. A lot of them didn't have anything, which is why they weren't used at the time - because they weren't complete. They were just bits, or they were from early takes. And then I put them all together in an incredibly cheap fashion. I recorded in this place in Paris in the middle of winter. And then I recorded some of it in a broom cupboard, literally, where we did the vocals. The rest of the band were hardly involved. And then I took it to Bob Clearmountain, who did this great job of mixing so that it doesn't sound like it's from different periods.
- Mick Jagger, 1995

For Tattoo You, Mick and Chris Kimsey realised that there was a lot of great music that we had recorded in the past that had never been released, particularly from all the material we had amassed during the Emotional Rescue sessions. So they went back and started sifting through it all, and eventually got to the point where they got up to here with it, and said, Let's not go any further, and used songs like Waiting on a Friend.
- Ron Wood, 2003

[www.timeisonourside.com]

790621A 10th June - 7th July & late July - 25th August & 12th September - 19th October:
Boulogne-Billancourt (near Paris), France, Pathé Marconi Studios. Producers:
The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey. Additional musicians:
Bobby Keys (sax)/Sugar Blue (harm)/Martin Gordon (bass; two days in
September)/Boz Scaggs (voc, gtr)
- Dance I (MJ/KR/RW) -early lyrics
- Dance II (MJ/KR/RW) -early lyrics, with `three, four..."-count-in
- Dance III (MJ/KR/RW) -early lyrics with `two, three, four"-count-in
- Dance IV (MJ/KR/RW) -first early version with original intro
- Down In The Hole I (MJ/KR) -early version with partly different lyrics
- Emotional Rescue II (MJ/KR) -long version
- Hang Fire III (MJ/KR) -with some falsetto vocals
- Hang Fire IV (MJ/KR) -first version with ‘doo doo doo’-chorus
- Heaven I (MJ/KR) -early version with guide vocals
- Indian Girl I (MJ/KR) -unverified early version without horns
- Instrumental ( ) -unverified
- It's A Lie I (MJ/KR) -with harmonica intro
- It's A Lie II (MJ/KR) -with drums intro
- Jah Is Not Dead (MJ/KR) -with Boz Scaggs sharing vocals and on guitar
- Jam ( ) -with Bobby Keys; unverified
- Let Me Go I (MJ/KR) -without sax
- Let Me Go II (MJ/KR) -’Emotional Rescue’-version
- Neighbours I (MJ/KR) -early version with guide vocals
- No Use In Crying I (MJ/KR/RW) -shorter early version
- No Use In Crying II (MJ/KR/RW) -longer early version
- No Use In Crying III (MJ/KR/RW) -similar to version II, but organ sets in earlier
- No Use In Crying IV (MJ/KR/RW) -edit of early version
- Send It To Me I (MJ/KR) -long version with vocals
- Summer Romance IV (MJ/KR) -more finished lyrics than III
- Summer Romance V (MJ/KR) -finished lyrics, but diff. vocal take, one guitar less
- Summer Romance VI (MJ/KR) -finished lyrics, plus bvoc; long version of VII
- “Time Flies” (MJ/KR) -unverified, title unsure; with Martin Gordon on bass
- Tones (MJ/KR?) -unverified
- We Had It All I (Troy Seals/Donny Fritts) -without harmonica
- We Had It All II (Troy Seals/Donny Fritts) -version I with harmonica
- We Had It All III (Troy Seals/Donny Fritts) -more finished version
- Where The Boys Go III (MJ/KR) -’Where The Boys All Go’-version, 1st version
with proper intro
- Where The Boys Go IV (MJ/KR) -different lead vocals, no girls choir, longer solo
- Where The Boys Go V (MJ/KR) -version used for thermo-promo

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Further work done was only Mick Jagger and very little wise from Keith, as Keith stated, in 1980. 1981 was Sonny Rollins etc.

The 5 members of The Rolling Stones did not record new bottoms/new songs post-October 1979 EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions.

Interesting .. and very good info (thank you for the further research). As I said .. I could be wrong ('mis-informed' would be a better word) ..

I hope we all can agree that the over all job Kimsey (and Jagger) did was 'fantastic' with Tattoo You.

Ian

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 28, 2017 07:10

bye bye johnny

[www.showbiz411.com]

55th anniversary is just next year. As I remember Charlie's first show was
January 15th,1963. Seems a little out of character for Mick to be enthusiastic about celebrating a 55th though. 50th was a milestone but 55th? Still, any live
Stones Show sounds good to me! It's good to be anywhere.

Date: February 28, 2017 07:20

swimtothemoon
bye bye johnny

[www.showbiz411.com]

January 15th,1963. Seems a little out of character for Mick to be enthusiastic about celebrating a 55th though. 50th was a milestone but 55th? Still, any live

Why is everyone so caught up / concerned about Don Was's 'hit a wall' comment from last year lol. He was simply stating what goes down in a studio and how B & L got started. He took for grant it everyone would understand that and what he was saying. Sure some are much better at it than others when it comes to writing songs but ... that happens when you write songs... no matter WHO you are .. Superstar or not.

Some songs come very easy .. Some come slow... Some come within 15 minutes ... Some take time to evolve.. Some write themselves ... Some need reworked entirely at a later date ...Some times you get no where with a song and come back to it .... months ...at times even years later by accident. Some times you get stuck on a part and have to put the guitars down and come back another day. Some songs / days it all flows and everything just seems to fall into place and it all comes naturally .. Some times it's a difficult, trying process. Some songs are difficult or more complex in nature... Some are more basic and easier to get through ...

Again while some artists can produce more or do it much easier than others at times .. still that goes on with every artist.. That's just par for the course when it comes to song writing lol

It is nothing implying they simply can't write a song anymore or that they can't get past something?

Hitting brick walls happen when you are writing (even with the greats).. It's all part of that craft. Sometimes its smooth.. some times it isn't. Some times ya get back to it later on a fresh head .. etc. etc. It's not only normal .. it's actually expected ...even with the greatest of song writers -

No Worries at all there.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-28 07:33 by IanBillen.

Date: February 28, 2017 07:56

True enough Ian, but when Ronnie stated that after they 'hit the wall' they might dump everything and have to 'start from scratch', it leaves the impression that those sessions came to a standstill with no point in moving forward.
Sure they can get back to them in the hopes of working them out, but not sure that's being very productive this late in the game. Like a stalemate in a game of chess - you can keep going in circles with no positive outcome in sight.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 28, 2017 09:57

Hairball
True enough Ian, but when Ronnie stated that after they 'hit the wall' they might dump everything and have to 'start from scratch', it leaves the impression that those sessions came to a standstill with no point in moving forward.
Sure they can get back to them in the hopes of working them out, but not sure that's being very productive this late in the game. Like a stalemate in a game of chess - you can keep going in circles with no positive outcome in sight.

"I’m working on new songs now.”

Why not 'we are working'...?
eye rolling smiley

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 28, 2017 10:20

I found this..published 27 november 2016
[ca.pressfrom.com]

Keith Richards takes swipe at Sir Mick Jagger

Keith Richards has taken a swipe at Sir Mick Jagger's songwriting skills.

The 72-year-old rocker doesn't care that his Rolling Stones bandmate has already penned 40 new tracks for a potential new record as he would rather do something "really interesting" than be as "prolific" as the singer.

He told Uncut magazine of Mick's 40 songs: "Being prolific don't mean s**t.

"I've got three songs and they're dynamite. I don't want to make any decisions about this until the record comes out because I think it might change Mick's attitude, it might change mine.

"I want to see the fallout from this record before I decide whether I want to record 40 of Mick's songs or whether he wants to sit down with me and record some songs together. That's my thing. That's my ball there.

"I've got a few songs on the back burner and so does Mick - he writes a lot. I don't.

"I tend to concentrate on two or three really interesting riffs or ideas, rather than being prolific."

And after returning to their roots with upcoming blues covers album 'Blue & Lonesome', Sir Mick is now keen to take the band in a new direction.

He said: "I was writing last night at the end of the baseball match.

"I sat watching the World Series, playing my guitar. But I think it would be nice to do new songs and go in a new direction with them."

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 28, 2017 11:42

Hairball

That's what I don't get with their approach to studio albums since 1989, why can't they let songs/sessions mature over 3/5 years and then put out a honed piece of work? Why do they have to do zilch in the studio for years and then go in for a rush job that no one (including them) can be bothered about after a few weeks ?

Sure the songwriters, well Mick really these days, collects songs over the years but why not get some early input from the band to make them group efforts. It's not like they didn't have any downtime since they got back together in 2012. It's mind boggling that they can't try some new tracks from time to time on the road!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: February 28, 2017 12:00

swimtothemoon
bye bye johnny

[www.showbiz411.com]

55th anniversary is this year!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 28, 2017 17:17

georgelicks
Yes and No... why?

I'm not disagreeing with your theory...BUT...it seems illogical.

1. "Been there done it"...would apply to tours and/or concerts also
2. As much time and effort (for Mick certainly) must go into a tour like the recent SA jaunt, as for recording work
3. IF they recorded in London (maybe finished in NYC) they could do a day's recording and be back home to their families the same day/night. Unlike a tour, even a short one.
4. Mick is always on the move anyway, I can't imagine he spends more time with his offspring than most parents
5. Mick is supposed to still have lots of drive and energy, but if you compare his workload to Ronnie and Keith, outside of Stones World, its not that impressive.

Also, seems strange that after the (?unexpected) commercial success of their last album, the confidence would have returned; people ARE willing to buy new RS product.

Date: February 28, 2017 17:41

jlowe
georgelicks
Yes and No... why?

I'm not disagreeing with your theory...BUT...it seems illogical.

1. "Been there done it"...would apply to tours and/or concerts also
2. As much time and effort (for Mick certainly) must go into a tour like the recent SA jaunt, as for recording work
3. IF they recorded in London (maybe finished in NYC) they could do a day's recording and be back home to their families the same day/night. Unlike a tour, even a short one.
4. Mick is always on the move anyway, I can't imagine he spends more time with his offspring than most parents
5. Mick is supposed to still have lots of drive and energy, but if you compare his workload to Ronnie and Keith, outside of Stones World, its not that impressive.

Also, seems strange that after the (?unexpected) commercial success of their last album, the confidence would have returned; people ARE willing to buy new RS product.

thumbs up

Date: February 28, 2017 18:37

The Joker
[ca.pressfrom.com]

The 72-year-old rocker doesn't care that his Rolling Stones bandmate has already penned 40 new tracks for a potential new record as he would rather do something "really interesting" than be as "prolific" as the singer.

"I've got three songs and they're dynamite. I don't want to make any decisions about this until the record comes out because I think it might change Mick's attitude, it might change mine.

"I want to see the fallout from this record before I decide whether I want to record 40 of Mick's songs or whether he wants to sit down with me and record some songs together. That's my thing. That's my ball there.

"I've got a few songs on the back burner and so does Mick - he writes a lot. I don't.

"I tend to concentrate on two or three really interesting riffs or ideas, rather than being prolific."

And after returning to their roots with upcoming blues covers album 'Blue & Lonesome', Sir Mick is now keen to take the band in a new direction.

"I sat watching the World Series, playing my guitar. But I think it would be nice to do new songs and go in a new direction with them."

I could be wrong, but the way I understand this is now that the blues covers album is a proven success (and Keith has been proven right), he doesn't want to go back anywhere near Micks inferior demos. He'd prefer to scrap all of that mess and start fresh (as mentioned by Ronnie)...writing something interesting together with Mick and band as a team, rather than simply being a backup guitar player for Mick's out-of-touch-with-reality songwriting. Best case scenario, they start over with Keith's three songs which he calls 'dynamite', which is probably similar to how they wrote in the good old days. Worst case scenario is they're butting heads as 'prolific' Mick still wants his demos in the spotlight which might end up leading to another 'World War' in Stonesland. Probably the best hope is for Mick to record/release a solo album and get it out of his system, and let Keith do the same - otherwise a forced Stones album could end up as another hodgepodge of half baked ideas that no one (including the band) really has any interest in. Maybe then after the dust has settled, they can try and write/record together again as a team.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 28, 2017 18:39

The Joker
[ca.pressfrom.com]

"dynamite" - like One More Shot or the songs on Crosseyed Heart??

Date: February 28, 2017 19:49

Monsoon Ragoon
The Joker
[ca.pressfrom.com]

"dynamite" - like One More Shot or the songs on Crosseyed Heart??

Crosseyed Heart has some great songs and i'm sure that 'One More Shot' solo version would have been better than Grrr version.

"The drummer/producer also revealed that they've cut a Keith-solo version of "One More Shot", a song written by Keith for the Rolling Stones last year: "We cut it, and it's great," Jordan says. "Again, that sounds weird. What I mean to say is we really had a great time doing it. Keith was looking for a new song to bring in [to the Stones], so he asked me if I minded if he brought it in, and I said, 'No.' So he brought it in and they liked it, and they ended up recording it. We gave them our version to listen to. We have a version, it's done. It has a different flavor, an additional vocal, Meegan [Voss, Jordan's wife] singing this counterpoint thing. It's a little different, Keith is playing all of the guitars and the bass. That's all I can say, I can't say much more."
[rollingtimes.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-28 19:49 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 28, 2017 20:54

Keith can hope for another Jagger/Richards collaboration all he likes. There hasn't been one in 24 years when these guys were just turning 50. It was a small miracle Steve Jordan managed to wring one more album out of Keith -- even Keith didn't expect it to happen. Keith doesn't even have another half album to give like he did with BRIDGES TO BABYLON 20 years ago. CROSSEYED HEART scraped the barrel clean of ideas going back a very long time. Another A BIGGER BANG with Keith working on Mick's ideas is not likely. The model is 95% Mick demos with the band overdubbing. Keith and Ronnie at least don't seem very enthusiastic. Ronnie hasn't been enthusiastic about new material in a long time. What happens ultimately is up to Don Was and Universal and what they think of Mick's ideas. Keith makes noise, but in the end he'll play along to the One Direction-style single if that's the decision from above.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 28, 2017 21:27

It could be said Keith is in a better frame of mind musically now than he was 7 years ago. He should bang out another solo album of new material with a little help from his extended friends (including Mick if he is so inclined)

Why is Keith so stubborn about this? He's not going to get satisfaction from Mick. But that's just guessing on my part. Who knows in a month's time we'll hear about the summer tour and a new Stones album.....

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 28, 2017 22:01

Time is passing and the Stones ain´t getting younger. What the fans want and need now is not another solo-album but another Stones-album, be it originals or covers. Blue And Lonesome shows what a Stones-album is, Crosseyed Heart shows what a Richards-album is: ...just a solo-album.

Date: February 28, 2017 22:21

Rocky Dijon
Keith can hope for another Jagger/Richards collaboration all he likes. There hasn't been one in 24 years when these guys were just turning 50. It was a small miracle Steve Jordan managed to wring one more album out of Keith -- even Keith didn't expect it to happen. Keith doesn't even have another half album to give like he did with BRIDGES TO BABYLON 20 years ago. CROSSEYED HEART scraped the barrel clean of ideas going back a very long time. Another A BIGGER BANG with Keith working on Mick's ideas is not likely. The model is 95% Mick demos with the band overdubbing. Keith and Ronnie at least don't seem very enthusiastic. Ronnie hasn't been enthusiastic about new material in a long time. What happens ultimately is up to Don Was and Universal and what they think of Mick's ideas. Keith makes noise, but in the end he'll play along to the One Direction-style single if that's the decision from above.

You're right Rocky.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-28 22:22 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 28, 2017 22:43

Maindefender
It could be said Keith is in a better frame of mind musically now than he was 7 years ago. He should bang out another solo album of new material with a little help from his extended friends (including Mick if he is so inclined)

Why is Keith so stubborn about this? He's not going to get satisfaction from Mick. But that's just guessing on my part. Who knows in a month's time we'll hear about the summer tour and a new Stones album.....

Yes, if Mick is stalling Keith could go into a NYC studio with Jordan and record his'dynamite' originals, add the odd guitar instrumental eg Magdalena and some standards (not blues this time, perhaps Hoagy Carmichael and old country stuff).
Done for Christmas, 2017.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home