Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 9, 2017 13:25

matxil
Recently I am listening a lot to "Keep It Cool" ( [www.youtube.com] ), which is a terrific jam and a pity it never got worked into a song for an album. On the other hand, there is a vague similarity to Gunface (at least to my ears), in which case they've worked it the wrong way.

I like 'Keep it cool' but there are many outtakes better than that!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 9, 2017 15:47

matxil
Recently I am listening a lot to "Keep It Cool" ( [www.youtube.com] ), which is a terrific jam and a pity it never got worked into a song for an album. On the other hand, there is a vague similarity to Gunface (at least to my ears), in which case they've worked it the wrong way.

Seeing that it's an UNDERCOVER outtake they already had Too Much Blood and Feel On Baby so perhaps that's why Keep It Cool never got finished. I don't hear Gunface at all.

Re: Working on new Music
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 9, 2017 21:58

retired_dog
HMS
Honest Man is more or less a demo, it is not quite finished and needs to be worked on. But it shows GREAT potential. If they would record a new guitar heavy version, Honest Man could be a smash just like Doom And Gloom, even better.

You hear things in that demo that the Stones themselves obviously did not hear. Therefore, it stayed in the can without further work. I agree with them. Every effort I could possibly imagine would not turn this into anything better than a b-side track like I'm Gonna Drive or similar. But a "smash hit"? No.

If they really want to, they could make a monster out of Honest Man, I´m serious. That song could be a great one. Maybe they didn´t bother to finish it in 1994 because they already had (more than) enough finished songs for the VL-album. Now, after so many years Honest Man might have completely slipped out of their minds. I don´t think they remember every leftover/outtake from sessions long ago.

Date: March 9, 2017 22:01

HMS
retired_dog
HMS
Honest Man is more or less a demo, it is not quite finished and needs to be worked on. But it shows GREAT potential. If they would record a new guitar heavy version, Honest Man could be a smash just like Doom And Gloom, even better.

You hear things in that demo that the Stones themselves obviously did not hear. Therefore, it stayed in the can without further work. I agree with them. Every effort I could possibly imagine would not turn this into anything better than a b-side track like I'm Gonna Drive or similar. But a "smash hit"? No.

If they really want to, they could make a monster out of Honest Man, I´m serious. That song could be a great one. Maybe they didn´t bother to finish it in 1994 because they already had (more than) enough finished songs for the VL-album. Now, after so many years Honest Man might have completely slipped out of their minds. I don´t think they remember every leftover/outtake from sessions long ago.

There is a producer who can help them from VL to ABB sessions!

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: March 10, 2017 01:42

If The Rolling Stones cannot come up with new material after 11 years why bother... what is the point of sifting through out takes?

I certainly can understand and see the point of a song or two that really showed potential but just wasn't ever evolved or came to fruition so they decided to try a couple from back when ...

>> But the notion of them sifting through out takes is not only boring .. it would be sad.

I don't think they need to do that at all .. They have 'mostly' all new material .. brand new material I'm sure.. it is just getting worked up / worked on in a different process this time (in spurts .. Little here.. little there is how it's been that's all).

The whole out takes idea at this stage of their game would be seriously lame.

Ian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-10 01:44 by IanBillen.

Date: March 10, 2017 01:55

They have done that - sifting through outtakes. With great results often.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 10, 2017 02:21

HMS
retired_dog
HMS

No artist would refrain from finishing a "monster" or truly "great one" just because there's enough finished material already in the can. The Stones did not finish it for a good reason.

Date: March 10, 2017 02:24

Palace Revolution 2000

Outtakes or new takes of those earlier takes, results being:

BEGGARS BANQUET
LET IT BLEED
STICKY FINGERS
EXILE ON MAIN STREET
GOATS HEAD SOUP
IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL
EMOTIONAL RESCUE
TATTOO YOU
UNDERCOVER
BRIDGES TO BABYLON (supposedly)

Date: March 10, 2017 05:47

GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000

BEGGARS BANQUET
LET IT BLEED
STICKY FINGERS
EXILE ON MAIN STREET
GOATS HEAD SOUP
IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL
EMOTIONAL RESCUE
TATTOO YOU
UNDERCOVER

When did or how did Undercover and Bridges have songs from other albums (just curious).

Look I'm certainly not against them taking a few songs from other sessions and working on them .. I am against another Tattoo You type of 'all out take' project. That is what I think would be super lame at this point in their career.

We NEED Fresh Rolling Stones .. even if it happens to be their last.

Ian

Date: March 10, 2017 05:54

IanBillen
GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000

BEGGARS BANQUET
LET IT BLEED
STICKY FINGERS
EXILE ON MAIN STREET
GOATS HEAD SOUP
IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL
EMOTIONAL RESCUE
TATTOO YOU
UNDERCOVER

When did or how did Undercover and Bridges have songs from other albums (just curious).

Too Tough is a revamp of Cellophane Trousers from the 1975 Munich BLACK AND BLUE sessions.

Last year it was revealed here that it's highly believed that How Can I Stop was started for VOODOO LOUNGE but done over for BRIDGES TO BABYLON.

Date: March 10, 2017 07:31

GasLightStreet
IanBillen
GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000

BEGGARS BANQUET
LET IT BLEED
STICKY FINGERS
EXILE ON MAIN STREET
GOATS HEAD SOUP
IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL
EMOTIONAL RESCUE
TATTOO YOU
UNDERCOVER

Too Tough is a revamp of Cellophane Trousers from the 1975 Munich BLACK AND BLUE sessions.

Last year it was revealed here that it's highly believed that How Can I Stop was started for VOODOO LOUNGE but done over for BRIDGES TO BABYLON.

Ok sure.. np that's just an example of one song on those two particular albums. Like I said... on a song or two as I noted I'm fine with that (especially if it is warranted because of new found quality). But to have .. you know almost all of it from other albums would be really boring .. lame.. and wouldn't produce the best result IMO .. That is all I was noting.. Again .. a song.. hell maybe a few is fine .. but not 1/2 or almost of of em. Id like at least 10 new fresh tunes..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-10 07:33 by IanBillen.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 10, 2017 08:03

IanBillen

We NEED Fresh Rolling Stones .. even if it happens to be their last.

Ian

The only thing I need is new Stones music that's good. Whatever it is. It's the end result that counts, nothing else.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 10, 2017 11:28

GasLightStreet
matxil

Seeing that it's an UNDERCOVER outtake they already had Too Much Blood and Feel On Baby so perhaps that's why Keep It Cool never got finished. I don't hear Gunface at all.

There is no clear similarity, but whenever I try to sing "Keep It Cool" in my head, automatically the part of "I-I-I put a gun to your face" in my mind. But it could be just me. Or maybe the drums?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 12, 2017 05:00

"I had the honor and pleasure of recording with these legends a couple days ago @donwas and @officialkeef #keithrichards #awesomeness #goodtimes #honored #rollingstones"

[www.instagram.com]

Date: March 12, 2017 06:48

Cristiano Radtke
"I had the honor and pleasure of recording with these legends a couple days ago @donwas and @officialkeef #keithrichards #awesomeness #goodtimes #honored #rollingstones"

[www.instagram.com]

Nice. There is evidence they are currently working on the album ... (or at least Don Was and Keith are working on it) ... Btw this is STRONG evidence... real ... real ... real STRONG evidence winking smiley winking smiley winking smiley winking smiley

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-12 06:49 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 12, 2017 07:36

IanBillen
But to have .. you know almost all of it from other albums would be really boring .. lame.. and wouldn't produce the best result IMO. That is all I was noting.. Again .. a song.. hell maybe a few is fine .. but not 1/2 or almost of of em.

What do you think of Tattoo You?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-12 07:37 by Hairball.

Date: March 12, 2017 09:02

Cristiano Radtke

[www.instagram.com]

Many thanks Cristiano!
He's playing the trumpet on a Keef song?

Date: March 12, 2017 09:03

Hairball
IanBillen
But to have .. you know almost all of it from other albums would be really boring .. lame.. and wouldn't produce the best result IMO. That is all I was noting.. Again .. a song.. hell maybe a few is fine .. but not 1/2 or almost of of em.

Tattoo You = Love it

Side B will never... EVER let you down.

The job they did on it is just fantastic.. being from different albums sessions and pieced together like a Frankenstein thing. It all feels / sounds as from one unit.. the same cloth (little did we know at the time it definitely wasn't lol).

The two sides of the coin .. the different sides in A with basically straight forward rock to side B with the soul based ballads. It was a frick and frack album that yet still sounded very much all from the same thing.

TY was fantastic. Side A was cool .. Start Me Up and ... Slave really win..

but then you had the big change .... Side B.. the flip side of Tattoo You's two sided coin ... and the lovely side B is what made TY from a good album .. to simply a great one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-12 09:07 by IanBillen.

Date: March 12, 2017 09:40

KRiffhard
Cristiano Radtke

[www.instagram.com]

Many thanks Cristiano!

My pleasure! I'd love to have an answer for that question but unfortunately I don't. And yes, it looks like he might be playing trumpet on a song although we can't know if it's from the Stones' new album or if Keith might be doing a recording on Keyon's album, if there's one being recorded.

Date: March 12, 2017 09:56

Cristiano Radtke
KRiffhard
Cristiano Radtke

[www.instagram.com]

Many thanks Cristiano!

My pleasure! I'd love to have an answer for that question but unfortunately I don't. And yes, it looks like he might be playing trumpet on a song although we can't know if it's from the Stones' new album or if Keith might be doing a recording on Keyon's album, if there's one being recorded.

I hadn't actually considered that possibility! smiling bouncing smiley

Date: March 12, 2017 11:41

Mick is working on his new songs, Keith is working on his songs...and then we'll have a Stones album!

Re: Another album in 2017?
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 12, 2017 13:52

IanBillen
Nice. There is evidence they are currently working on the album ... (or at least Don Was and Keith are working on it) ... Btw this is STRONG evidence... real ... real ... real STRONG evidence

Looking at the photo without Stones colored glasses, it's entirely possible Keith is contrbuitung to a Blue Note recording project being produced by the label president.

Date: March 12, 2017 19:16

IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen

Tattoo You = Love it

The job they did on it is just fantastic.. being from different albums sessions and pieced together like a Frankenstein thing. It all feels / sounds as from one unit.. the same cloth (little did we know at the time it definitely wasn't lol).

The two sides of the coin .. the different sides in A with basically straight forward rock to side B with the soul based ballads. It was a frick and frack album that yet still sounded very much all from the same thing.

but then you had the big change .... Side B.. the flip side of Tattoo You's two sided coin ... and the lovely side B is what made TY from a good album .. to simply a great one.

Then why would you fear a new album made from a similar blueprint - i.e. an album made from leftovers?
If you love Tattoo You so much, how could a new album of 'leftovers' (entirely or partially) be "really boring .. lame.. and wouldn't produce the best result" as you say?

They could throw together a Tattoo You II, and chances are it might be very good!
Personally I'd rather hear a stockpile of leftovers dusted off and made new and fresh vs. a stockpile of Mick's 'hit the wall' demos.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 12, 2017 21:13

So Don and Keith are in L.A. at the same time; I think Don is based in L.A.
So much of their really cool recording history, going back to RCA studio days, were cut there; and a lot of various things mixed there I would imagine.
Where's Mick right now? Is he in the states. He's place or two in L.A. I imagine...
I'm guessing Charlie is in UK or someone would have had an inkling?
I wonder if they are working on it together, meaning M&K; or did they last see each other before the holidays and the private tent show in Boston?
wattup; anyone have the recent day to day skinny on Mick or any of the usual support suspects?
as for another album in 2017, well I'm ready! That's be more than cool; THIS is the time to really lay into one with good energy and even random creativity in the moment. Mick used to talk about how he likes that albums reflect a certain time period when they are working one out; I think this was about Tatoo You, which a lot of critics and fans thought very cohesive but Mick admitted how is was very much mostly constructed up from bits and pieces from albums going waay back that were never done up...so all that was interesting...
just wondering you know..as we tend to do about these things.
I'd sure like to hear a new Stones album like yesterday are you kidding?
Not a diss on B&L, but they are good writers. That One More Shot Doom and Gloom thing both worked out well but that was a while ago...
mostly from Mick demos? I really don't know. they sounded ace to me; I like 'em; i play 'em...
what up, where's Sir Waldo; is the baby in L.A. with this years model?
Wheres Bill Wyman? hee hee only kidding...
Don's a bass player he knows better;
are is the bass still a sublimated almost afterthought punch in thing when they work up from demos; no more really really like bass drums rhythm guitar tracks to build from or what these days?
I mean I'm really gonna complain if the bottom's not right and the things not really alive and moving.
and you know how much they hate it when I complain...

lets hear a great new Stones album...
get it together you old fahtz...let's punch in!!
or is that what they are doing?
come on Stones fans in L.A. wattup with the producer and various players, are they slowly circlin' in for some work together; I know that they both really deeply hate that they kind of love each other...but let's go boys... !!
u think they ever really talk to each other very much on the phone and such?
I mean I'm sure even that's managed...? Like they don't just like friends or partners pick up the phone and discuss things except thru their reps?
Come on; where's the tabloids? where's the papparazzi?
ok you know wattup with the beeb and every time Katy goes to an airport...
and at least that's some relief; I want the pictures man...
wattup where Micky? wattup w this new thing...
but inquiring minds want to know.

Date: March 12, 2017 21:17

hopkins
So Don and Keith are in L.A. at the same time; I think Don is based in L.A.

According to Keyon's Instagram post that pic was taken in NY, not in LA.

Date: March 12, 2017 21:42

wello damn...another furtive desperate hope ground into the dust. eye rolling smiley

smiling smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 12, 2017 21:44

In 1981 they released the TY-compilation because they had to put an album out and there was an upcoming tour and they had not enough time to write and record a new album.

Doing the same in 2017? Come on, the last album of originals was released in 2005, they had plenty of time this time. If they aren´t able to write decent material anymore than they should do another cover album or nothing at all. Everything´s better than dusting off leftovers and sell them as "a new album".
Doing that would be the Stones confirming that their artistic skills as songwriters are dried to the bone.

I personally think that they still can pull off a good track every now and then (just like in 2012) but it seems to me they are no longer able to create enough decent new songs worth to fill an entire album. Look at CH, it took Keith years and years and the result was an average album, quite enjoyable but nothing special to be honest.

Maybe the will record the best track of Mick´s 40+ demos plus one of Keith´s three "dynamite songS" and put it on a new Greatest-Hits-comp called HAR HAR HAR ready for release round Christmas.cool smiley

Date: March 12, 2017 21:46

I'd be happy with a lot of covers too; if they were into it. like the early albums; put a few great originals in there; and work up some great and even unxpected covers? why not. i would not be disappinted. if it all worked together and a lot of it was good i mean that would be a long awaited pleasure...

they don't seem to even want to be expected to come up with ten or twelve originals as has been the template for original artis albums, they actually helped to create that template a half century or more ago...
i mean they just don't. for whatever personal or various professional reasons.
i'd like to see otherwise. of course. i'm a fan and my blood gets to risin' when i see country honk from ole ole and how naturally and almost casually they just are so excellent...sweethearts together and all that. too bad they hate each other haha.
hey covers are great. put some good stuff out...boy was i spoiled in the early days when hot acts would release like two each year or three every two years no problem...
...but here we are.... i'd like to sccop up another Stones LP asap personally.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-12 22:19 by hopkins.

Date: March 13, 2017 00:21

HMS
In 1981 they released the TY-compilation because they had to put an album out and there was an upcoming tour and they had not enough time to write and record a new album.

Doing the same in 2017? Come on, the last album of originals was released in 2005, they had plenty of time this time. If they aren´t able to write decent material anymore than they should do another cover album or nothing at all. Everything´s better than dusting off leftovers and sell them as "a new album".
Doing that would be the Stones confirming that their artistic skills as songwriters are dried to the bone.

I personally think that they still can pull off a good track every now and then (just like in 2012) but it seems to me they are no longer able to create enough decent new songs worth to fill an entire album. Look at CH, it took Keith years and years and the result was an average album, quite enjoyable but nothing special to be honest.

Maybe the will record the best track of Mick´s 40+ demos plus one of Keith´s three "dynamite songS" and put it on a new Greatest-Hits-comp called HAR HAR HAR ready for release round Christmas.cool smiley

I would settle for another average blues covers album over something dreadful, but that would surely confirm that their 'artistic skills as songwriters are dried to the bone'. With all of their leftovers given a fresh coat of paint, at least there will be something new and it might even be as good as Tattoo You is - doubtful but possible. Plus, it will have their names as the songwriters!

Keith's Crosseyed Heart proved that he/they can still write something worthwhile, and he says he has some new 'dynamite' riffs he's worked on since then, so I'm sure he could crank out a few new nice ones and give them the 'Stones' treatment. But perhaps his well has run dry after Crosseyed Heart? If so, at least he gave us the best Stones related album since Tattoo You IMO, and it's something to cherish and admire forever given the time and effort that went into it.

Your last sentence makes the most sense and is probably the most realistic, and as sad as that sounds, that's probably what will happen. Or...Keith will somehow come up with another solo album with his 'dynamite riffs', and Mick can do the same with his unworkable 'hit the wall' demos.

Date: March 13, 2017 03:20

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen

Tattoo You = Love it

Then why would you fear a new album made from a similar blueprint - i.e. an album made from leftovers?
If you love Tattoo You so much, how could a new album of 'leftovers' (entirely or partially) be "really boring .. lame.. and wouldn't produce the best result" as you say?

They could throw together a Tattoo You II, and chances are it might be very good!
Personally I'd rather hear a stockpile of leftovers dusted off and made new and fresh vs. a stockpile of Mick's 'hit the wall' demos.

Hi Mr. air ..

Well I think HMS said it best with this:

"In 1981 they released the TY-compilation because they had to put an album out and there was an upcoming tour and they had not enough time to write and record a new album.

Doing the same in 2017? Come on, the last album of originals was released in 2005, they had plenty of time this time"

Now I will add my own bit. Tattoo You was a fantastic album. It is one of my favs by them .. but that was then .. this is now. I want to hear the band in their 'current' state.. not material or things from 10-15 years ago. I want to see what they can cook up <now> .. what type of artists they are <now> .. today ... currently.

They have had friggin how many years and time to come up with an album? If they cannot come up with an album of worthy / real good stuff .. original stuff... current stuff over a year and a half of spending time in and out of the studio .. Why bother? It's over studio wise as far as 'original' material is concerned if that would be the case (but I dont think that is the case).

I am interested in the Stones writing and recording abilities right now ... today .. as elders in rock.. If they have to dig back in the friggin vaults just to get material when they have not had a new original album in 12 years well then shame on them studio wise for even considering it .. IMO.

Ian

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Previous page Next page First page IORR home