Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 18, 2017 01:26

georgelicks
My friend at Universal is on vacations the whole month in Europe, so I won't hear anything new until May.

The last word at UME is the promise of a new album done by summer (June/September), but the release date can be anytime, Keith's album and B&L were released after a year with both albums ready and done so I won't be surprised if the new album is released next year.

Thank you cool smiley

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: April 18, 2017 03:42

Darryl Jones has been in Australia playing shows. My mate filmed him and asked if he was doing any recording. He said : '...maybe so....haven't heard for sure but hopefully so.....'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-18 03:46 by Deathgod.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 18, 2017 03:45

Deathgod
Darryl Jones has been in Australia playing shows. My mate filmed him and he said he was 'in the Studios recording..'

Recording with who...Sting?

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: April 18, 2017 03:46

Hairball
Deathgod
Darryl Jones has been in Australia playing shows. My mate filmed him and he said he was 'in the Studios recording..'

Just edited my OP after relistening to clip

Date: April 18, 2017 03:59

Deathgod
Hairball
Deathgod

Just edited my OP after relistening to clip

Hmmmm...I see your edit....thanks for the info.
Doesn't sound promising - at least for the time being...

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: April 18, 2017 06:13

This is just a wee hunch, but a fall tour with some B&L songs, followed by a new record next year and US ($) tour next year.

Because there is no real pressure to release the record before a tour of Europe. That makes it easy to rationalize putting off recording sessions a while.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-19 08:28 by mpj200.

Date: April 18, 2017 07:18

Hmmm...could be similar setlists to Desert Trip and Vegas which each had only ONE song from B&L!
Would have been nice if they had played more of it in the US while it was still fresh, but alas they didn't. For some mysterious reason they dredged up Mixed Emotions and a Beatles cover at Desert Trip I when they could have/should have played more from B&L. With all the warhorses and other originals that usually make up the setlists, I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if they played more than one from B&L at any future shows.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 18, 2017 10:36

mpj200
That makes it easy to rationalize putting off recording sessions a while.

As does age

Rod

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: April 19, 2017 07:46

I really doubt they will put off releasing the album until next year.

There comes a point when putting an album off more and more starts to hurt rather than build excitement. See Guns N roses Chinese Democracy for the largest example of that.

Sooner or later people start to get turned off by waiting 'tooooo' long. Sure.. it'll still do good... but some will turn off versus having almost everyone all in.

They can't keep putting this thing off .. It has been 12.. yes.. 12 friggin years AND they already sort of put it off last year. They know darn well people have been waiting for a long ... loooong while on this thing.

I think they realize enough is enough and are planning a release this fall.

- Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-19 07:48 by IanBillen.

Date: April 19, 2017 08:33

IanBillen

There comes a point when putting an album off more and more starts to hurt rather than build excitement. See Guns N roses Chinese Democracy for the largest example of that.

Sooner or later people start to get turned off by waiting 'tooooo' long. Sure.. it'll still do good... but some will turn off versus having almost everyone all in.

They can't keep putting this thing off .. It has been 12.. yes.. 12 friggin years AND they already sort of put it off last year. They know darn well people have been waiting for a long ... loooong while on this thing.

- Ian

They won't put it out until its ready. And ready doesn't mean they have 12 tracks finished, it means when they have an album of songs they feel good about. So just because they started this over a year ago doesn't mean anything if they can't agree on the tracks. I just don't think, in my view, they will finish it this year. I hope I'm wrong.

Date: April 19, 2017 08:52

You have probably heard some of the stuff they're working on, mpj200. What's the main challenge when it comes to agreeing on tracks? I remember Keith said that this album really would surprise the fans. He always says something, but I got a different vibe this time...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-19 10:58 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 19, 2017 08:56

I'll happily and patiently wait for as long as it takes if the results are a decent (great?) album with the band all on the same page, rather than having them rush out something inferior and disjointed.

"You can't rush perfection..."

In the meantime, maybe we'll see more solo projects/collaborations outside the band.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 19, 2017 10:24

Hairball
I'll happily and patiently wait for as long as it takes if the results are a decent (great?) album with the band all on the same page, rather than having them rush out something inferior and disjointed.

"You can't rush perfection..."

In the meantime, maybe we'll see more solo projects/collaborations outside the band.

They're like me - getting on. Get it done lads and get it out, before....you can't.

And, if nothing ever comes out, that's fine by me too. They have given me a great ride fror decades. But I don't have patience because ... well, I hate to say it, but patience - before they become patients, just doesn't sit with me.

Rod

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 19, 2017 11:10

mpj200
IanBillen

- Ian

They won't put it out until its ready. And ready doesn't mean they have 12 tracks finished, it means when they have an album of songs they feel good about. So just because they started this over a year ago doesn't mean anything if they can't agree on the tracks. I just don't think, in my view, they will finish it this year. I hope I'm wrong.

Hi Mpj!
Do you think there are any problems between Mick and Keith (about the choice of the songs) or everything's okay?
Keith seemed pretty annoyed about Mick's 40 new songs:
“Being prolific dont mean shit. I‘ve got three songs and they‘re dynamite. I don‘t want to make any decisions about this until this record (B&L) comes out, because I think it might radically change Mick‘s attitude; it might change mine. I want to see the fallout from this record before I decide wheteher I want to record 40 of Mick‘s songs or whether he wants to sit down with me and record some songs together. That‘s my thing. That‘s my ball there. I‘ve always got a few songs on the back burner and so does Mick - he writes a lot. I don‘t. I tend to concentrate on two or three really interesting riffs or ideas, rather than being prolific“.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-19 11:15 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 19, 2017 11:30

All that's just par for the course with those two....

... I wouldn't attach tooo much significance to it winking smiley

Date: April 19, 2017 18:49

mpj200
IanBillen

- Ian

They had half an album done a few months ago .. according to Mick. Mick had a slew of songs and ideas according to Don Was late last year. Keityh had three songs .. As you know they have plenty of songs.. but agreeing on them or which ones is tricky as you stated.

The Stones have never officially started recording ..only to take a three year span before putting out an album ... Sure.. Some songs stretch back three years or more on previous albums but they have put out albums in between.

They never have taken three years to make an album. I doubt after 12 long years that they have not or cannot conjure up the creative spice enough to get 12 quality songs .. If that would be the case.. they are finished studio wise. I cant see them not being able to get this done in the time frame of two years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-19 18:52 by IanBillen.

Date: April 19, 2017 19:05

KRiffhard

Being prolific dont mean shit. I‘ve got three songs and they‘re dynamite. I don‘t want to make any decisions about this until this record (B&L) comes out, because I think it might radically change Mick‘s attitude; it might change mine. I want to see the fallout from this record before I decide wheteher I want to record 40 of Mick‘s songs or whether he wants to sit down with me and record some songs together. That‘s my thing. That‘s my ball there. I‘ve always got a few songs on the back burner and so does Mick - he writes a lot. I don‘t. I tend to concentrate on two or three really interesting riffs or ideas, rather than being prolific“.

I betcha Keith has more than three dynamite songs at this point, and hopefully he will share them with the world in one form or another 9solo, collaboration, or with the Stones). He could always release another solo album with the songs he's written, and then go back to the drawing board to start afresh with Mick. Either Keith will have more to work on with Mick for a new album of originals, or he might have to bow down and let Mick have his way with the 40 demos he's been stockpiling and dragging around. Unfortunately, this is probably why they "hit the wall" in the first place. Maybe both of them should scrap everything they have (I believe Ronnie had mentioned that idea), and decide to work together for one last masterpiece. Wishful thinking perhaps, but it might be possible. The final option would be another album of covers where neither of them have to think or focus on writing - simply spit out some covers over a two or three day session and be done with it ala B&L. eye rolling smiley

Date: April 20, 2017 05:54

You'd think they were (or would be around now) getting to doing it .. I mean let's be honest.. I don't mean to harp on this ... but they certainly have had the time.

Seem to be in absolutely no rush .. in fact.. much less than even at a steady pace.

This either means there is no real interest... the material wasn't as good as they thought ... Mick and Keith are at odds .... OR:

They are and have been working on it mostly in secret and it's easily well in progress or .. possibly getting to the home stretch here with it? Last year they debated on releasing an album of all originals.. they decided not to .. for whatever reason. We got Blue & Lonesome instead.. a wonderful Christmas time gift and something that was truly special.

This year.. it's new album time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 05:54 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 20, 2017 06:10

You'd think they were aware they were in their seventies and understood there is little financial gain to releasing new music and more risk of ridicule or rejection for having done one album too many each time they try to be creative. I can't understand what's taking them so long either. They sure were more productive when they were in their thirties or forties or fifties...

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 20, 2017 06:42

I do not presonally see any clue that they may have changed the dynamics of the way they work, or do not work, together on Stones studio projects. It's like two decades for two albums so that is where they are at. That says something without saying a lot of other things.
To heighten the confusion; I don't even know if Mick writes Mick songs considering his past deals with Marti and Alomar and their uncredentialed contributions to the writing...i don't even know if Mick wrote my favorite Mick solo song... ?
or how he makes his demos and where the various places are that hes gets his 'ideas' from and etc...
...at first I'd tend to be very critical of this; and on second thought, thinking he may not have actually been the writer for Let's Work, might actually be of service to his legacy, & I think, a mark to his favor, in spite of it all. smiling smiley
speculation is fun to a point. we have a lot of it.
they've got some stuff in the can forever. they been adding dribs and drabs to it with a wekk here and there perhaps, is the extent of our knowledge I think.
it seems like bass and drums are now an overdubbed post production thing if they are building from demos with click tracks, or other time-keepers or whatever...
who knows...???
i would not call it lazy; maybe just not anywhere near where they are really at; desptite being old pros about throwing the beg shebang and putting a few more tens of mills into eah of their pockets....too cyncial?
I mean they do seem to be trying their best when they show up to be professional entertainers and distribute some fun; so tnere's that...

...but i am not really hoping for a great new album or dynamic tour representing a ogod protion of new realized, important things for them to produce and get across....that may be ancient history for these guys, in spite of the non step press....that's what PR is for...you don't even need the people after awhile, as we see with Elvis' income year to year....and they could do a lot more; Lisa and Priscilla kind of try to keep it somewhat sane and respectable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 06:53 by hopkins.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 20, 2017 07:46

For clarity, Carlos Alomar and Marti Fredericksen (allegedly, in Marti's case) - like Matt Clifford, Jimmy Rip, and Dave Stewart wrote music with Jagger, not lyrics. Rob Thomas and Lenny Kravitz worked on lyrics. I've always wondered about the lyrics to "Joy," but I've heard no claims Bono did anything but sing.

Date: April 20, 2017 07:47

DandelionPowderman
You have probably heard some of the stuff they're working on, mpj200. What's the main challenge when it comes to agreeing on tracks? I remember Keith said that this album really would surprise the fans. He always says something, but I got a different vibe this time...

I have not. But to me it looks like the main challenge is just getting them together long enough in the studio to come up with something they all like. Mick and Keith made progress. But they need to all commit to getting back in long enough to get it finished. And that's been the rub, from what I can tell.

Date: April 20, 2017 07:58

mpj200
DandelionPowderman

I have not. But to me it looks like the main challenge is just getting them together long enough in the studio to come up with something they all like. Mick and Keith made progress. But they need to all commit to getting back in long enough to get it finished. And that's been the rub, from what I can tell.

I agree. They should commit to finally finish this thing off. Perhaps the way they are approaching this is simply a few day here and there to a week or two here and there until it's done? This is a different approach than they have ever done .. I trust they and Don Was know what's best for this thing .. but at the same time . Ima kinda like...

Look .. do ya want to finish / work on an album or not? Why the slighting or avoiding buckling down on this thing finally? Who knows... Perhaps it is going just fine .. or perhaps it is even really good ... you know... moving in these mini spurts? Just seems they are in no real rush ...or are avoiding / blowing off finishing it (unless they have been at tit more than we know) ....Hmmmm?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 08:00 by IanBillen.

Date: April 20, 2017 08:16

Rocky Dijon
For clarity, Carlos Alomar and Marti Fredericksen (allegedly, in Marti's case) - like Matt Clifford, Jimmy Rip, and Dave Stewart wrote music with Jagger, not lyrics. Rob Thomas and Lenny Kravitz worked on lyrics. I've always wondered about the lyrics to "Joy," but I've heard no claims Bono did anything but sing.

And whatever happened to those two 'genius' lyricists... eye rolling smiley ...why Mick chose to work with either one seems a bit misguided in hindsight.
They might have been the 'flavor of the month' back then - i.e. young and popular, but now they're pretty much yesterdays papers.

Date: April 20, 2017 09:54

Hairball
Rocky Dijon

And whatever happened to those two 'genius' lyricists... eye rolling smiley ...why Mick chose to work with either one seems a bit misguided in hindsight.
They might have been the 'flavor of the month' back then - i.e. young and popular, but now they're pretty much yesterdays papers.

I can understand why Mick chose to work with Kravitz, as he's quite good and Mick admires his work. And they're friends. But Rob Thomas?...

Date: April 20, 2017 09:56

mpj200
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, that's a given. That's also a problem that could be easily fixed: Dedicate more time. In theory anyway...

«Mick and Keith made progress» – I like those words, thanks thumbs up

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 20, 2017 10:11

It all comes back to the "why bother" argument ? There's obviously no drive to make a record at this point, the songs are not there, harsh indirect comments from Keith on Mick's "40 songs" and he isn't very credible when he states he'd like Mick to "record" (write ?) songs with him, why didn't he suggest that when they were on the road for months since 2012, or maybe he did ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 20, 2017 14:32

DandelionPowderman
mpj200
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, that's a given. That's also a problem that could be easily fixed: Dedicate more time. In theory anyway...

«Mick and Keith made progress» – I like those words, thanks thumbs up

I just don't understand if this album is almost done or it's still in the early stages!!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 20, 2017 14:53

Chinese Democracy and Crosseyed Heart had the same rythm pattern...........Will we have really a new album???

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 20, 2017 15:15

And what ever happened to the rumors of working with Jack White?? That would have been incredible I think!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home