Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: OT: New Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame nominees announced
Posted by: HankM ()
Date: October 24, 2016 01:41

Good grief, how in the world is Ed Sullivan not in this thing? To ignore what Mr Sullivan did to expose... yadda yadda yadda... you guys know. It is just another piece in a huge pile of evidence that this thing is unworthy.

And Janny had the audacity to put himself in... it is embarrassing

OT: Rock Hall Inductees Are Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur, Journey, Yes, Electric Light Orchestra and Joan Baez
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 20, 2016 15:03

Electric Light Orchestra
Joan Baez
Journey
Pearl Jam
Tupac Shakur
Yes

Bad Brains
Chaka Khan
Chic
Depeche Mode
J Geils Band
Jane's Addiction
Janet Jackson
Joe Tex
Kraftwerk
MC5
Steppenwolf
The Cars
The Zombies

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-20 15:09 by tatters.

Re: OT: Rock Hall Inductees Are Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur, Journey, Yes, Electric Light Orchestra and Joan Baez
Date: December 20, 2016 15:09

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-20 19:46 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: OT: Rock Hall Inductees Are Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur, Journey, Yes, Electric Light Orchestra and Joan Baez
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 20, 2016 17:29

When I think Rock N Roll, I think Joan Baez.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: December 20, 2016 17:34

I have long ago given up on the not really Rock and roll hall of fame.

Their shabby treatment of many of the 60's acts that helped create the rock and roll platform is unforgivable.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 20, 2016 17:46

DaveG
When I think Rock N Roll, I think Joan Baez.
Girl was a major Dylan person before many of us. Not a fan of hers, but she's had a life and been around the rock world for awhile now. Of the pretty sh**ty list they gave us, I see no problem with her. Tupac and Journey are my gripes this year, but again there wasn't much to replace them with. Probably The Cars and J Geils Band, but even still thats pushing it. They just don't have good lists anymore, and thats largely because they've inducted most of the people that should already be in.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 20, 2016 17:50

Cool:

Electric Light Orchestra
Pearl Jam
The Cars

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 20, 2016 17:57

Joe Tex.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: December 20, 2016 18:18

I can't stand Pearl Jam.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 20, 2016 18:19

J. Geils Boned again how sad

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: December 20, 2016 18:26

Jane's Addiction should be in. Krist Novoselic of Nirvana credits them as breaking down the walls that led to the whole Seattle scene breaking out.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: December 20, 2016 18:31

Tupac? Really? Rock and Roll? I think not. No J Geils Band. Ridiculous.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 20, 2016 18:32

I'm suprised that there are any bands/artists who anybody has ever heard of and who haven't yet been inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame.

[I suspect that you only need to be famous on your own street to qualify on that basis
.. and to qualify as Rock N Roll you have to have been seen on at least one occasion hanging around with somebody who owns a guitar]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-20 18:47 by Spud.

Date: December 20, 2016 18:36

steverogan

Jann Wenner pushes for that crap every year. At this point I don't even bat an eye. Seriously, after Run DMC, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, NWA, I don't even think twice. And I'm so sick of the excuses. Yeah, you can like them, but call a spade a spade they are NOT Rock And Roll. "Well, Run DMC brought Aerosmith back from the dead..." Maybe so but it doesn't mean they contributed or made rock music, it was a smart financial decision. I'm sorry, but if you want a Hall that honors everyone don't make one thats purposely exclusive. The whole reason it was formed was to make a home for ROCK artists. If you're gonna let everyone from Zep to Madonna to Tupac in, call it what it is and call it the Pop Music Hall Of Fame. Sad, it was an excellent showcase up until 2000 or so. Its been an embarrassment for at least a decade now.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 20, 2016 18:47

RollingFreak
steverogan

Jann Wenner pushes for that crap every year. At this point I don't even bat an eye. Seriously, after Run DMC, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, NWA, I don't even think twice. And I'm so sick of the excuses. Yeah, you can like them, but call a spade a spade they are NOT Rock And Roll. "Well, Run DMC brought Aerosmith back from the dead..." Maybe so but it doesn't mean they contributed or made rock music, it was a smart financial decision. I'm sorry, but if you want a Hall that honors everyone don't make one thats purposely exclusive. The whole reason it was formed was to make a home for ROCK artists. If you're gonna let everyone from Zep to Madonna to Tupac in, call it what it is and call it the Pop Music Hall Of Fame. Sad, it was an excellent showcase up until 2000 or so. Its been an embarrassment for at least a decade now.
Not to mention all the great heavy metal acts that are ignored:

Judas Priest
Motorhead
Iron Maiden
Megadeth
Slayer
Anthrax

Okay, fine...Sabbath and Metallica only got in because they are SO huge and influential, but all of the acts I mentioned above deserve to be in just as much, if not more so.

If you're going to let a harmless, pop-oriented rock band like Journey in (who DO deserve to be in, frankly) then ALL the above acts also deserve it.

The entire selection process is so biased and crooked that it's been rendered meaningless. It's really sad considering how cool it COULD have been.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 20, 2016 18:57

black n blue
J. Geils Boned again how sad

Right there with you..
They.. Musta Got Lost... somewhere down the line.

Date: December 20, 2016 18:59

I agree and disagree. I've always maintained you should reach a certain level, or you should be massively influential. People got all upset about KISS (my father for one was someone who can't wrap his mind around it), but taking out my fandom you can't deny their success. Its been enduring whether people like it or not AND they are constantly listed as influences to all those 70s and 80s guitar players. Many people, like the ones in Anthrax just to use one of your examples, will say they play music because of KISS.

So there's that. I agree that bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, maybe one or two of the 4 others as well should be, but the whole point is its exclusive. Journey is... Journey has one or three recognizable songs everyone knows. Thats great, and I don't have some big beef with them if thats how it sounds. But bands like Iron Maiden? They are STILL a bigger act than Journey and they don't even have a Don't Stop Believing. To me, that says more. They weren't the flavor of the month, they made a career in rock and heavy metal music on their own and have sustained it. THEY deserve to be honored, and I'm not even a big fan! That doesn't happen to everyone, so when people like Journey who IMO are much smaller and didn't have near the same success or impact get inducted it rubs me the wrong way. Cause it should be for the greats. Yes, with Tupac and people in thats out the window, but thats still kind of how I rate the rock bands going in. Journey doesn't need the honor. Someone like The Misfits, a much smaller band (again, I'm not a fan) deserve the honor because they don't get it and everyone cites them as influences. A Journey induction feels more "Grammys" to me.

And again, I don't say this because the Hall really gets me that upset. Its just built up rage over the years. I won't give it a second thought that these people are going in, but its easy to pull out when certain people are nominated. Its not meant to demean anyone's favorite bands. But come on, I love a ton of bands that I know shouldn't be in there. Journey? I don't think so. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dire Straits, Moody Blues, Ozzy solo? Yes, those people made better and longer lasting careers for themselves and are worthy of the honor. IMO I guess.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 20, 2016 19:02

As I probably said at this time last year - this inductees list is mostly b*llshit, and the concept of a 'Rock Hall of Fame' has become a bad joke.

ELO - perhaps (they had alot of hits).
Joan Baez - no.
Journey - no.
Pearl Jam - no.
Tupac Shakur - absolutely not.
Yes - maybe.

Who should have been in from the nominee list:
J.Geils Band - they make Journey sound like the Archies.
Janes Addiction - if Pearl Jam is in, this is a no-brainer.
MC5 - "Kick out the jams motherf*cker"!!!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 20, 2016 19:16

Interesting article (interview) with Nile Rodgers discussing his thoughts/feelings after he got in as an individual (Award for Musical Excellence) after Chic was again not voted in as a band.

Nile Rodgers on Rock Hall Award, Chic Snub: 'I'm Happy, but Perplexed'

Classic Quote: "I feel like somebody put me in the lifeboat and told my family they can't get in,"

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 20, 2016 19:17

Kennedy
Jane's Addiction should be in

thumbs up And I'm glad for Bad Brains! Can it get more rocking than this?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 20, 2016 20:19

My first vote from this list would be "Yes", (45 years of making music). Also missing from the Hall is The Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Tina Turner and of course Humble Pie!

So what does it take to get in? Terry Stewart, the President of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum (and Nominating Committee member):

"Nomination and induction into the Hall of Fame is not about popularity, records sales, which label the group is on, or anything other than the process below. The love for, the evaluation of, and the impact of any artist are subjective questions to be answered by the nominators and the voters. Unlike baseball, football, basketball or hockey, statistics are not relevant."

"The entire nomination and induction process is coordinated by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation in New York City. Individuals can be inducted in four categories: Performer, Early Influence, Non-Performer and Side-Men. The only formal criteria for the performance category is that an artist has to have had their first record 25 years ago. That said, candidates are reviewed and discussed relative to their impact on this music that we broadly call rock and roll. The innovation and influence of these artists is also critical. Gold records, number one hits, and million sellers are really not appropriate standards for evaluation."

Date: December 20, 2016 20:26

I can not believe they inducted Pearl Jam. I guess they have been at all correct benefits concerts.
W/0 saying who I personally prefer, on that list of candidates Chic, Kraftwerk and MC5 should absolutely have been inducted right away. I read that Chic has been up there many times already.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 20, 2016 20:26

Just read the list. Now back to B&L.

Date: December 20, 2016 20:48

Hairball
As I probably said at this time last year - this inductees list is mostly b*llshit, and the concept of a 'Rock Hall of Fame' has become a bad joke.

ELO - perhaps (they had alot of hits).
Joan Baez - no.
Journey - no.
Pearl Jam - no.
Tupac Shakur - absolutely not.
Yes - maybe.

Who should have been in from the nominee list:
J.Geils Band - they make Journey sound like the Archies.
Janes Addiction - if Pearl Jam is in, this is a no-brainer.
MC5 - "Kick out the jams motherf*cker"!!!

Guess thats what makes horse races. ELO and Yes are a maybe and Pearl Jam is a flat no? To me thats ridiculous. I get that they are all acquired tastes but Yes laid groundwork with prog, ELO (as you said) had tones of hits and Jeff Lynne is a genius in his own right (I'll accept people don't think ELO should be in but that Jeff Lynne 100% should be on his own), and Pearl Jam still sell out arenas. I think the J Geils Band are great, but that they should absolutely go in when the others are maybes and nos? To me, thats laughable, but again thats what makes music interesting. MC5, I get the influence but its essentially one album. I'm not against it, but Yes and ELO have way more to their credit than them. And Jane's Addiction? No problem with them but comparing them to Pearl Jam is insane. Pearl Jam still play arenas. You don't have to like them, but they are still a big draw. Thats the whole point, they are still relevant, at least to enough people. Jane's Addiction isn't at this time, so while they should maybe go in later, comparing them to Pearl Jam I think is far off. They stayed big and relevant and thats the honor.

People not liking Pearl Jam? You don't have to, they are the only band carrying the rock torch the last 20 years. They are still around from 1990. Not many others are, and they are still filling arenas doing it. They were honestly the only no brainer on this list, besides Yes. It boggles my mind, but again its what makes the race.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-20 20:51 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 20, 2016 20:52

RollingFreak
I agree and disagree. I've always maintained you should reach a certain level, or you should be massively influential. People got all upset about KISS (my father for one was someone who can't wrap his mind around it), but taking out my fandom you can't deny their success. Its been enduring whether people like it or not AND they are constantly listed as influences to all those 70s and 80s guitar players. Many people, like the ones in Anthrax just to use one of your examples, will say they play music because of KISS.

So there's that. I agree that bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, maybe one or two of the 4 others as well should be, but the whole point is its exclusive. Journey is... Journey has one or three recognizable songs everyone knows. Thats great, and I don't have some big beef with them if thats how it sounds. But bands like Iron Maiden? They are STILL a bigger act than Journey and they don't even have a Don't Stop Believing. To me, that says more. They weren't the flavor of the month, they made a career in rock and heavy metal music on their own and have sustained it. THEY deserve to be honored, and I'm not even a big fan! That doesn't happen to everyone, so when people like Journey who IMO are much smaller and didn't have near the same success or impact get inducted it rubs me the wrong way. Cause it should be for the greats. Yes, with Tupac and people in thats out the window, but thats still kind of how I rate the rock bands going in. Journey doesn't need the honor. Someone like The Misfits, a much smaller band (again, I'm not a fan) deserve the honor because they don't get it and everyone cites them as influences. A Journey induction feels more "Grammys" to me.

And again, I don't say this because the Hall really gets me that upset. Its just built up rage over the years. I won't give it a second thought that these people are going in, but its easy to pull out when certain people are nominated. Its not meant to demean anyone's favorite bands. But come on, I love a ton of bands that I know shouldn't be in there. Journey? I don't think so. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dire Straits, Moody Blues, Ozzy solo? Yes, those people made better and longer lasting careers for themselves and are worthy of the honor. IMO I guess.
Journey has had a pretty remarkable career, and they still sell out sheds all over the world. They're certainly not MY type of band, but their success is undeniable.

You make a good point though...there really should be a higher standard than just sticking around long enough and being popular. How about impact, influence, artistic contribution? By that metric, then yeah, the Misfits ABSOLUTELY deserve a place in the Hall before a band like Journey, who are basically a fast-food pop-rock band...pleasant enough to listen to, but ultimately inconsequential.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 20, 2016 21:04

RollingFreak
...People not liking Pearl Jam? You don't have to, they are the only band carrying the rock torch the last 20 years...

Agree, they're so much better than other bands people seem to be going on about, like J.Geils, Janes Addiction ... and ...Journey (gimme a break!!). A clear no-brainer.

Date: December 20, 2016 21:05

keefriff99
Journey has had a pretty remarkable career, and they still sell out sheds all over the world. They're certainly not MY type of band, but their success is undeniable.

You make a good point though...there really should be a higher standard than just sticking around long enough and being popular. How about impact, influence, artistic contribution? By that metric, then yeah, the Misfits ABSOLUTELY deserve a place in the Hall before a band like Journey, who are basically a fast-food pop-rock band...pleasant enough to listen to, but ultimately inconsequential.
We differ on "remarkable" career. Again, I don't begrudge anyone's tastes, or opinions if you don't like them and are just sticking up for them. To me, their "career" is one song. Its Don't Stop Believing and we all know that. And its a great song and they should be praised more than other bands of that time. But they hardly changed things, I hardly think they are still relevant today. They don't REALLY sell out sheds. They do decent summer business, when on a bill with 3 other bands. To me that is not what a hall of fame band makes.

I agree, it shouldn't just be popularity and relevance, but for the Hall to say it has nothing to do with that. Thats ridiculous, and its wrong because it should. Other bands were bigger than most and they should be honored. They should be honored when they MAINTAINED that relevance, even after breaking up. If a band like Journey gets in, to me that means anyone with a hit can get in. I love Grand Funk Railroad, I'm not saying they should be in the Hall of Fame! There's levels. Someone I don't like as much like, the Eagles say, deserve it way more than Grand Funk Railroad. They did way more. Just how I feel. I think we generally agree on that point, but it just gets me angry. Mainly cause it was a good hall then they totally ruined it.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 20, 2016 21:07

People can say what they want but the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony is a great evening to be remembered , they put on a heck of a show .

Date: December 20, 2016 21:14

TheGreek
People can say what they want but the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony is a great evening to be remembered , they put on a heck of a show .
Yes, they always put in enough people that I watch every year, and its a good show for those that get in. I'll appreciate seeing Jeff Lynne get that respect, and Yes even though it should have been earlier before Chris Squire died which is absurd. Pearl Jam will kill it, and Joan Baez will be sweet to watch. They always sucker me in with about 60% of the people.

LeonidP
RollingFreak
...People not liking Pearl Jam? You don't have to, they are the only band carrying the rock torch the last 20 years...

Agree, they're so much better than other bands people seem to be going on about, like J.Geils, Janes Addiction ... and ...Journey (gimme a break!!). A clear no-brainer.
Thank you, I'm glad I'm not crazy.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 20, 2016 22:36

Keith and mick have worked with peter a Wolf and the boys have opened for the stones. Journey sucks and was booed off the stage 1981 at Rich stadium.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2072
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home