Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: OT: New Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame nominees announced
Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: October 19, 2016 03:45

And yet again, no Harry Nilsson.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 19, 2016 05:09

HOF website has a Stones bio that is cheesy.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-19 18:45 by hopkins.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 19, 2016 07:42

Boognish
And yet again, no Harry Nilsson.

A crime.

See, there are a lot of smaller ones I don't necessarily think should be in. Blue Oyster Cult. Yes, they are fine, but never anything incredible, IMO of course. Grand Funk Railroad. I LOVE Grand Funk Railroad, but even I can admit its just good old fashion rock. Didn't really push the envelope, influence people. Yes, they did play Shea Stadium which is often forgotten. But at what point do you draw the line. There are many bands I love like Grand Funk, like T friggen Rex, but I get why they aren't in. Cause in the end there is a difference between good and great. Its been ruined because the Hall has put in such ridiculous choices, but in the end I'm always voting based off that original rule. Zombies: love 'em, but they hardly stood out among those 60s bands. They are a cult band at best, and a two hit wonder to many.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 20, 2016 00:43

This:

Date: October 20, 2016 04:30

Marc Bolan needs to be in there. Has not ever even been nominated.

Date: October 20, 2016 07:02

Palace Revolution 2000

Does he? Again, I'm a massive Bolan fan. The Slider is one of my favorite records. But he hardly pushed the envelope. He hardly is counted as an influence. I love his playing and writing style, but its nothing groundbreaking. I understand why he's not in. Not everyone is "the best".

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 20, 2016 07:27

Monsoon Ragoon
Depeche Mode ist great, but is this Rock'N'Roll? Not really.

For many many years (decades actually) now, their live shows have been pure rock shows. Great rock concerts actually. I personally think they absolutely deserve it.

Also a lot of their songs are actually blues songs (don't crucify me :-) with heavy bluesy guitar riffs - Personal Jesus or I Feel You to name some - with the bluesy aspects of the song being emphasized in the live versions. Watch this version of PJ (starts at 0:28): [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-20 07:33 by Happy24.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: October 20, 2016 10:16

Not that I care about what the RnR Hall of Lame sees as relevant, but since this does seem to be an annual topic on IORR, just thought I'd chime about some of this year's nominees.

ELO actually were groundbreaking in their way. They were the group that molded rock/pop and classical into a commercially viable format. The Moodies were more psychedelic/prog, and besides Nights In White Satin, during the salad days of their Hayward/Lodge/Pinder songwriting combinations they never had massive top 10 hits on a regular basis the way that ELO did. Likewise, ELP, Yes, and Jethro Tull were also in that prog vein, more limited to the format of album-oriented FM radio and associated with lengthy virtuoso solos that could only be appreciated rather than emulated. Bev Bevan was also one of the most underrated drummers of that era, a real powerhouse that could even give a disco-flavored track like Last Train To London real punch. And, after all, ELO is a record-holding franchise: They hold the record for having the most top 40 hits without a number 1 single... Okay, a dubious record to hold, but one for the record books nonetheless. smiling smiley

The Zombies have the distinction of being the only pop group to have shared a scene in a movie with Laurence Olivier. Not only that, but they're the only group from that era whose music is the centerpiece for two cult films stretching across four decades: There's Otto Preminger's Bunny Lake Is Missing (1965) and Thomas Vinterberg's Dear Wendy (2004). It's worth noting that Vinterberg wasn't even born when Time Of The Season was recorded. But from a musical standpoint, it's their accomplished keyboardist, Rod Argent. Ray Manzarek once said in an interview that he was heavily influenced by those bands from the early to mid-sixties that featured prominent keyboards, like The Kingsmen, Lovin' Spoonful, The Animals, and The Zombies. So if you can lay claim to having been a key influence on any musical aspect of a band like The Doors, then you definitely have a legacy.

And, finally, Journey? Their legacy is high school reunions for those who graduated in the mid-eighties. They're so middle of the road, their band logo should be double yellow lines. smiling smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 20, 2016 15:27

Bad Brains OK very Good
Chaka Khan
Chic
Depeche Mode
Electric Light Orchestra OK
J Geils Band OK
Jane's Addiction
Janet Jackson
Joan Baez
Joe Tex
Journey
Kraftwerk
MC5 OK very Good
Pearl Jam OK
Steppenwolf OK
The Cars
The Zombies OK
Tupac Shakur
Yes

Lots of good nominees this time...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: October 20, 2016 16:50

HopeYouGuessMyName
BLUE ÖYSTER CULT?
can it be explained to my why they are not in rock and roll hall of fame?

Yes, BOC and many many many other deserving rock and roll groups are not in because the whole thing is a marketing arm for Rolling Stone ragazine. It is meaningless. It is full of crap. It panders to people and groups that pander(ed) to Rolling Stone ragazine and its full of crap owner.

Not to mention how it is too USA centric.
There are tons of great rock groups world wide that will never even be nominated

It is a lie to have the name it does.

Tupac Shakur ? LOL!!! That nominee alone proves how full crap this thing is.

Alex Lifeson of RUSH sums up this disgrace/sham/lie in Cleveland perfectly in his speech when RUSH was there

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-20 16:51 by HankM.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 20, 2016 17:36

For some reason the RNRHOF doesn't know who The Meters are.

Date: October 20, 2016 18:05

GasLightStreet
For some reason the RNRHOF doesn't know who The Meters are.

I believe they've been nominated before. And they are not a Hall Of Fame band.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 20, 2016 18:21

BamaStone
THE ZOMBIES !

Yes! thumbs up

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 20, 2016 21:06

Popular, main stream, and genius: Alan Parsons.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: October 20, 2016 21:14

shattered
Indeed! A more top 40 friendly version of Pink Floyd.

As well, Zombies lead singer Colin Blunstone has appeared on Alan Parsons Project albums. The link below is a live version of Old and Wise from Eye in the Sky.

Link to Old and Wise: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 20, 2016 21:31

stone66
shattered
Indeed! A more top 40 friendly version of Pink Floyd.

As well, Zombies lead singer Colin Blunstone has appeared on Alan Parsons Project albums. The link below is a live version of Old and Wise from Eye in the Sky.

Link to Old and Wise: [www.youtube.com]

Listened to Eye in the Sky last night and think this live version is better. Thanks.

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: October 20, 2016 23:17

There is no problem with the different genres. They don't exist in a vacuum, and have often influenced each other. That's why rap acts get in, because without them, Rage Against The Machine would never come to be. Same with pop acts. People complaining about it are just snobby purists.

That said, there is definitely a problem with people who deserve to be in but haven't gotten there yet. Simply put, the following acts should be in. This isn't limited only to this year's nominees, but includes other multiple pass overs, people eligible that have never been nominated, and people not yet eligible:

-Nine Inch Nails
-Mudhoney
-Pearl Jam
-Soundgarden
-Alice In Chains
-Joan Baez
-Joe Tex
-MC5
-J. Geils Band
-The Monkees
-Meat Loaf
-Jim Steinman
-Warren Zevon
-Ted Nugent
-INXS
-Journey
-Foreigner
-Styx
-Boston
-Kansas
-Blue Oyster Cult
-ELO
-Bad Brains
-Tupac
-The Notorious BIG
-Janet Jackson
-Yes
-Depeche Mode
-Kraftwerk
-Bon Jovi
-Ozzy (solo career)
-Dio
-Megadeth
-Anthrax
-Slayer
-Marilyn Manson
-David Lindley
-Motley Crue
-Skid Row
-Twisted Sister
-Scorpions
-Whitesnake
-Jane's Addiction
-Counting Crows
-Black Crowes
-Stone Temple Pilots
-Soul Asylum
-Rage Against The Machine
-Korn
-Eminem
-Jay-Z
-Puffy/Puff Daddy/P. Diddy/Diddy
-Usher
-Blackfoot
-Molly Hatchet
-Outlaws
-Yes

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 20, 2016 23:22

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a passed station.
Now it's the one's who missed the train.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 20, 2016 23:25

Is it possible for anyone to 'refuse' a nomination ?

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: October 21, 2016 00:18

The RRHoF has been a pet peeve of mine for years. I have been strong and have declined to go when in Cleveland a few times for business over the last 10 years.

My gripe is the gross oversight of the 60's pop rnr acts that aren't deemed heavyweights. Well, the reality is that acts like Hermans Hermits, Paul Revere & Raiders, Monkees (and many many others)really shaped pop RnR music and live shows for decades to come. I think its a disgraceful at how disrespected these atcs are. Yet almost any obscure 50's and 60's blues pioneers are in automatically.

Any modern era rock concert should pay homage to Paul Revere and the Raiders for inventing the modern wild RnR show.

Everybody applauding the J Giels band should look back further to groups like the Raiders. Basically they were J Giels band 15 years before J Giels band.

Ok. I am finished with my rant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-21 00:21 by timmyj3.

Date: October 21, 2016 00:43

jlowe
Is it possible for anyone to 'refuse' a nomination ?
You can "refuse" an induction, not a nomination. A nomination doesn't even mean you're in yet. And "refusing" an induction... well, the Sex Pistols did that and you still go in anyway. In the end Jann Wenner will just accept the award for you and thats that. But you still go in.

Date: October 21, 2016 02:11

RollingFreak
Palace Revolution 2000

Does he? Again, I'm a massive Bolan fan. The Slider is one of my favorite records. But he hardly pushed the envelope. He hardly is counted as an influence. I love his playing and writing style, but its nothing groundbreaking. I understand why he's not in. Not everyone is "the best".

Oh absolutely. I think he pushed the envelope in a big way. No one,really nobody did what he was doing early on. Many even doubted he sang in English. John Peel saw the genius, and then Tony Visconti. And then later it was Bolan who started Glam Rock. Not Bowie. Not sure what 'pushing the envelope' means exactly. His writing is brilliant.
And I dont believe in these huge lists where someone says the Scorpions or Foreigner should be in a HOF, winking smiley. I don't think it is too late to make this a better HOF. Actually I don't think that it has been corrupted too much. I personally agree totally that Madonna is in there.I do think Ween should be in there too.

The lst on new nominees - that is a deserving list: MC5 - Joe Tex - Kraftwerk - Yes - Chic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-21 02:14 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: October 21, 2016 02:17

What about Grand Funk & 3 Dog Night. They ruled the charts from 69 to 75. Made important music.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 21, 2016 02:39

timmyj3
The RRHoF has been a pet peeve of mine for years. I have been strong and have declined to go when in Cleveland a few times for business over the last 10 years.

My gripe is the gross oversight of the 60's pop rnr acts that aren't deemed heavyweights. Well, the reality is that acts like Hermans Hermits, Paul Revere & Raiders, Monkees (and many many others)really shaped pop RnR music and live shows for decades to come. I think its a disgraceful at how disrespected these atcs are. Yet almost any obscure 50's and 60's blues pioneers are in automatically.

Any modern era rock concert should pay homage to Paul Revere and the Raiders for inventing the modern wild RnR show.

Everybody applauding the J Giels band should look back further to groups like the Raiders. Basically they were J Giels band 15 years before J Giels band.

Ok. I am finished with my rant.

I am 100% with you on all points.

Another "lightweight" (i.e. someone with AM radio Top 40 single success) act is Tommy James and the Shondells. He performed as a sideman for Joan Jett at the RnR HoF when she played her version of HIS song, "Crimson and Clover" when she was inducted two years ago.

There is a bias against the pre-FM / Monterey Pop artists. It took 10 years before the Lovin' Spoonful was even nominated, and it could be argued that they OWNED 1966!

My feeling is that the HoF needs to wake up to the fact that rockers from the 60's are now in their mid-70's. No one is getting any younger, and if you want to honor them before they die, they have to take a break from nominating more recent bands (although I'm sure that's a marketing decision).

Earlier groups--from the 50's--basically built the foundation. Artists from the 60's and 70's continued from that and created the entire structure of Rock n Roll--as a business and and art form.

Yes there have been great groups from the '80's on. But those artists had the road already paved. For the last 26 years they knew they could end up in a Hall of Fame.

Even a third-tier band from the 60's is more worthy of induction than a top-drawer artist from the 90's. Because if they made the charts, they were playing in the same game and on the same field as the Beatles, the Stones, the Beach Boys, artists from Motown and Stax, etc.,etc.

An hour ago I heard "Surf City" being played overhead while I shopped at Trader Joe's. An amazing record. Equal to the Beach Boys.

But who now will speak up for Jan and Dean?

Date: October 21, 2016 03:04

"Another "lightweight" (i.e. someone with AM radio Top 40 single success) act is Tommy James and the Shondells. He performed as a sideman for Joan Jett at the RnR HoF when she played her version of HIS song, "Crimson and Clover" when she was inducted two years ago."

Great point. Tommy James was a pioneer in late 60's crossover from AM to FM album tracks.

While ranting, no disrespect to Joan Jett but over some of the acts we have mentioned??? Disgraceful.

I read an article years and years ago that this place is basically whatever Jann Wenner wants it to be and that he was very dismissive of most 60's and 70's popular artists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-21 03:05 by timmyj3.

Date: October 21, 2016 03:18

There is no problem with the different genres. They don't exist in a vacuum, and have often influenced each other. That's why rap acts get in...

Then maybe they should change the name to Jann Weiner's Rolling Stone Magazine's music and rap museum in Cleveland. Rock and Roll is rock and rock and roll. It is a genre. If they want to include other genres then change the name.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: October 21, 2016 03:37

Should Willie Nelson be nominated? Johnny Cash is in there.

Date: October 21, 2016 03:47

At this point... the way they Janny has ignored so many who should be in and allowed in so many who are in no way rock and roll... they should/could nominate Willie, Bach, Beethoven, Josephine Baker, Charlie Parker, Frank Sinatra, Sammie Davis Junior and more...

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: October 21, 2016 05:30

Dick Dale and Link Wray should be in.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: October 21, 2016 06:26

timmyj3

I think it's important to note that there are two components at issue. It's called the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.(Emphasis added.) The Museum is a lot of fun. Anyone who likes rock'n'roll should have a good time exploring the exhibits there. You can easily spend a long afternoon or longer if the special exhibit (changes every few months) is to your liking. I encourage you to go next time you have the opportunity.

The Hall of Fame, of course, is a complete load of tosh. You can easily skip that floor.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2572
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home