Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: OT: New Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame nominees announced
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 13, 2017 04:41

It's a Hall of FAME. Not every band or artist should be in.

Megadeth?
Blue Oyster Cult?
Grand Funk Railroad?
Kansas?
Anthrax?
Yes?

Yep they are all OK exponents of their genre, but HoFAMErs?

PLENTY of artists I LOVE that shouldn't be in it - Paul Kelly, John Hiatt, Crowded House and Chris Rea for example. Some I love, I think should be in it, like Free.

But if everyone we like/love "should" be in it, just call it the Hall of Musicians and let every Tom, Dick and Harry in.

Rod

Date: April 13, 2017 04:46

bitusa2012

Megadeth?
Blue Oyster Cult?
Grand Funk Railroad?
Kansas?
Anthrax?
Yes?

PLENTY of artists I LOVE that shouldn't be in it - Paul Kelly, John Hiatt, Crowded House and Chris Rea for example. Some I love, I think should be in it, like Free.

But if everyone we like/love "should" be in it, just call it the Hall of Musicians and let every Tom, Dick and Harry in.

megadeth should be in because dave mustaine should be in the HOF

Date: April 13, 2017 04:49

keefriffhard4life
bitusa2012

Megadeth?
Blue Oyster Cult?
Grand Funk Railroad?
Kansas?
Anthrax?
Yes?

Why should Dave Mustaine be in the HoF?

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-13 04:49 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 13, 2017 04:56

Rocky Dijon
Yeah, Wenner himself was inducted...by Mick. Somehow I think you'll play another Stones album.

Don't get me wrong, I love 90% of J. Geils Band's output and think they should be there along with a number of other highly influential artists. The thing is, it's for tourists like all museums (as well as being an Old Boys' Club). If you're not on the right side of the fence and you're not going to bring in added revenue, you don't get acknowledged. Rap and pop acts will bring people who buy tickets and trinkets and overpriced food and drinks from the museum's cafeteria. They're also around to get the news clips when they perform at the induction ceremonies. The public would rather see some rapper's bling and Madonna's sweaty panties, they don't even know who half the people are who laid the foundation for rock or kept it on course. This is about commerce, not art and when it's not driven by commerce, it's about who's in the exclusive club and who isn't. That's human nature, sadly and the Rock Hall is just another example.

yes, right, this here ^
thank you

Date: April 13, 2017 05:34

bitusa2012
keefriffhard4life
bitusa2012

Megadeth?
Blue Oyster Cult?
Grand Funk Railroad?
Kansas?
Anthrax?
Yes?

because the band he was an original member of metallica is in the HOF. he helped create a style of music and guitar playing that was copied by a million bands. he co-wrote 7-8 songs released on metallica studio albums. as an individual person he might be the most influential person in thrash metal

Date: April 13, 2017 08:09

keefriffhard4life
bitusa2012
keefriffhard4life
bitusa2012

Megadeth?
Blue Oyster Cult?
Grand Funk Railroad?
Kansas?
Anthrax?
Yes?

because the band he was an original member of metallica is in the HOF. he helped create a style of music and guitar playing that was copied by a million bands. he co-wrote 7-8 songs released on metallica studio albums. as an individual person he might be the most influential person in thrash metal

so kicked out of Metallica, co-writes 7 or 8 songs and, bingo into the HoF??? What style of music did he help create, sorry, I am genuine. I don't know this. If it is thrash or metal, wasn't it already going? He may have, probably did, "help" in it's going more mainstream, but again is the HoF worthy? I get you like him, like I with say Neil Finn from Crowded House. He ain't there either, yet in pop music, they excelled

Rod

Posted by: matatu ()
Date: April 13, 2017 11:31

My suggestions:

Eric Burdon
Canned Heat
Joe Cocker
Dire Straits
John Fogerty
Mick Jagger
The Monkees
The Pretty Things
Keith Richards
Steppenwolf
Ten Years After
George Thorogood
Ton Steine Scherben

Date: April 13, 2017 16:07

bitusa2012
keefriffhard4life
bitusa2012
keefriffhard4life
bitusa2012

Megadeth?
Blue Oyster Cult?
Grand Funk Railroad?
Kansas?
Anthrax?
Yes?

so kicked out of Metallica, co-writes 7 or 8 songs and, bingo into the HoF??? What style of music did he help create, sorry, I am genuine. I don't know this. If it is thrash or metal, wasn't it already going? He may have, probably did, "help" in it's going more mainstream, but again is the HoF worthy? I get you like him, like I with say Neil Finn from Crowded House. He ain't there either, yet in pop music, they excelled

he helped create thrash metal. metallica is in the HOF because they are considered the most influential thrash metal band. tons of heavy metal guitar players name metallica and dave mustaine as an influence and metallica isn't shy to say that dave mustaine helped co-create the bands signature guitar style that hundreds of bands copied after that. pretty much the bands entire first album was written, played live, demo'd while mustaine was part of the band and then 3-4 songs on the 2nd album too.

then you take into account that after mustaine was booted he then formed the 2nd most popular thrash band ever in megadeth. i think that says a lot about the guy and that if metallica is in the hof because they pretty much created a genre of heavy metal then a guy who helped create metallica and then went on to create the 2nd most popular thrash band should be in.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 13, 2017 17:17

bitusa2012

Megadeth?
Blue Oyster Cult?
Grand Funk Railroad?
Kansas?
Anthrax?
Yes?

Yup. I 100% agree. Thats the problem with everyone. They want all their favorites in. Thats not the point. I love T Rex, I'm not arguing he should be in the Hall Of Fame. Mott The Hoople? Great band but they aren't Stones/Who level. What people want is a Hall Of Very Good and thats not the point. Yes, they've already ruined the Hall but when I think of people that should go in I still try and base it on who's the best, who's made an impact. So many people have the wrong idea. Some bands really do deserve it. Metallica deserve it, Nirvana deserve it, Pearl Jam deserve it. They did what few bands have and made an impact on a genre. Dire Straits I personally see no logical reason to keep out. The Moody Blues I see no logical reason to keep out. Both bands did their own thing, had hits, had mainstream success for an extended period of time. I don't really get why they aren't in.

But the list is short. This list:
matatu
My suggestions:

Eric Burdon
Canned Heat
Joe Cocker
Dire Straits
John Fogerty
Mick Jagger
The Monkees
The Pretty Things
Keith Richards
Steppenwolf
Ten Years After
George Thorogood
Ton Steine Scherben

Really?! I have to assume you're joking but its hard to tell. Most of these people are in, they shouldn't be in solo. Fogerty, Jagger, Richards? Get the hell out of here. Steppenwolf? For two songs?! George Thorogood? One of the best bar bands ever but a Hall Of Fame artist?! I love Ten Years After but there's a reason people only know their Woodstock performance. People are so blinded by their favorites and thats what kills discussions as much as Jann Wenner's idiotic decisions. If you can't be unbiased and objective then you shouldn't be allowed in the discussion.

No, Dave Mustaine shouldn't be in in any way possible and I'm a Megadeth and Metallica fan. He's fine, sometimes you get the short end of the stick, sorry you're not in with Metallica, but Megadeth shouldn't be in. I won't care if they do at some point but I'm being objective and its laughable. There are legitimate people, like Jeff Lynne who finally got in, who deserved to be there in some capacity. There are many like that.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 13, 2017 19:37

Great post RollingFreak!

Date: April 13, 2017 21:59

RollingFreak
bitusa2012

Megadeth?
Blue Oyster Cult?
Grand Funk Railroad?
Kansas?
Anthrax?
Yes?

Yup. I 100% agree. Thats the problem with everyone. They want all their favorites in. Thats not the point. I love T Rex, I'm not arguing he should be in the Hall Of Fame. Mott The Hoople? Great band but they aren't Stones/Who level. What people want is a Hall Of Very Good and thats not the point. Yes, they've already ruined the Hall but when I think of people that should go in I still try and base it on who's the best, who's made an impact. So many people have the wrong idea. Some bands really do deserve it. Metallica deserve it, Nirvana deserve it, Pearl Jam deserve it. They did what few bands have and made an impact on a genre. Dire Straits I personally see no logical reason to keep out. The Moody Blues I see no logical reason to keep out. Both bands did their own thing, had hits, had mainstream success for an extended period of time. I don't really get why they aren't in.

But the list is short. This list:
matatu
My suggestions:

Eric Burdon
Canned Heat
Joe Cocker
Dire Straits
John Fogerty
Mick Jagger
The Monkees
The Pretty Things
Keith Richards
Steppenwolf
Ten Years After
George Thorogood
Ton Steine Scherben

Really?! I have to assume you're joking but its hard to tell. Most of these people are in, they shouldn't be in solo. Fogerty, Jagger, Richards? Get the hell out of here. Steppenwolf? For two songs?! George Thorogood? One of the best bar bands ever but a Hall Of Fame artist?! I love Ten Years After but there's a reason people only know their Woodstock performance. People are so blinded by their favorites and thats what kills discussions as much as Jann Wenner's idiotic decisions. If you can't be unbiased and objective then you shouldn't be allowed in the discussion.

No, Dave Mustaine shouldn't be in in any way possible and I'm a Megadeth and Metallica fan. He's fine, sometimes you get the short end of the stick, sorry you're not in with Metallica, but Megadeth shouldn't be in. I won't care if they do at some point but I'm being objective and its laughable. There are legitimate people, like Jeff Lynne who finally got in, who deserved to be there in some capacity. There are many like that.

so metallicas bass player robert trujillo who played one just 1 album by the band when they were inducted into the HOF deserves his name in the HOF but not the guy who helped created the band, create thrash, formed the 2 biggest thrash bands ever, influenced hundreds of metal guitar players, co-wrote 7-8 songs in the bands catalog, demo'd and helped get metallica signed ? makes no sense at all. robert trujillo has done nothing with metallica, isn't the reason they are around and to be honest no one cares about him. most metal fans equate him more to the band suicidal tendencies than metallica

Date: April 13, 2017 22:18

No, Robert Trujillo shouldn't be in. RHCP's newest guitarist shouldn't be in. But those are the breaks. Life isn't fair. Mustaine probably should have been in with Metallica, but their whole history is weird that he wasn't technically on any records so I get it. I don't agree, but I get it. Elton John got inducted ALONE when Bernie Taupin is HALF of Elton John. Thats just life. You're not in music to get awards anyway, but obviously its nice. The way to remedy him not going in with Metallica isn't he goes in for Megadeth, good as they are. Pearl Jam's key drummer didn't go in with them this year. Thats just life. The band's can make those calls (Metallica forced Rob to come in with them, RHCP did the same with Josh their guitarist). Metallica could have done the same for Dave, Pearl Jam could have done the same with their drummer. They didn't, thats on them. Like I said, I'm not saying its fair, and Megadeth is a great band. The Hall is already filled with crap, but I don't personally subscribe with these reasons that only serve to fill it with more "not legendary" bands. Get mad at Metallica, not really the Hall that Dave isn't in. Ronnie James Dio probably should have gone in with Black Sabbath since its unlikely he'd go in with Rainbow or solo, good as he is. Sometimes those are just the breaks, but in the case's like not putting in Megadeth I agree with the Hall. I just disagree that instead of having Megadeth they should be putting in Tupac.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-13 22:20 by RollingFreak.

Date: April 13, 2017 22:24

RollingFreak
No, Robert Trujillo shouldn't be in. RHCP's newest guitarist shouldn't be in. But those are the breaks. Life isn't fair. Mustaine probably should have been in with Metallica, but their whole history is weird that he wasn't technically on any records so I get it. I don't agree, but I get it. Elton John got inducted ALONE when Bernie Taupin is HALF of Elton John. Thats just life. You're not in music to get awards anyway, but obviously its nice. The way to remedy him not going in with Metallica isn't he goes in for Megadeth, good as they are. Pearl Jam's key drummer didn't go in with them this year. Thats just life. The band's can make those calls (Metallica forced Rob to come in with them, RHCP did the same with Josh their guitarist). Metallica could have done the same for Dave, Pearl Jam could have done the same with their drummer. They didn't, thats on them. Like I said, I'm not saying its fair, and Megadeth is a great band. The Hall is already filled with crap, but I don't personally subscribe with these reasons that only serve to fill it with more "not legendary" bands. Get mad at Metallica, not really the Hall that Dave isn't in. Ronnie James Dio probably should have gone in with Black Sabbath since its unlikely he'd go in with Rainbow or solo, good as he is. Sometimes those are just the breaks, but in the case's like not putting in Megadeth I agree with the Hall. I just disagree that instead of having Megadeth they should be putting in Tupac.

well mustaine just like RJD should be in the hall in some way or another. he is an hugely influential musician in the metal genre.

Date: April 13, 2017 22:54

Oh, I'm in full agreement. I just don't know how to remedy that and there are a lot of other people just like them. I adore Ronnie Rainbow but in no way would I ever say they realistically should be in. But thats me, maybe others have a better argument. Megadeth is a good one because they are a great and successful band in their own right. Its just hard for me to talk about all those bands really yet. Them, Anthrax, Slayer, etc. All big mainstream bands, but its just different than the legends. Metallica and Nirvana and Pearl Jam transcended them, whether rightly or wrongly, so I agree with their recognition. When they get through inducting all the 60s and 70s people that have been missed, I'll probably go back to people like Mustaine and Megadeth. But for now, there's a ton still missing, and Judas Priest and Iron Maiden are the two heavy metal people that should start getting campaigned.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 13, 2017 23:05

RollingFreak
Elton John got inducted ALONE when Bernie Taupin is HALF of Elton John.

Indeed...

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 14, 2017 00:52

All this fussing over the reasons about who should be in and who shouldn't seems to be giving the Hall of Fame some credibility.
I'm actually surprised some who do get in these day even give a crap - the entire thing has become such a bad joke that it seems a worthless accolade at this point.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 14, 2017 02:17

Hairball
All this fussing over the reasons about who should be in and who shouldn't seems to be giving the Hall of Fame some credibility.
I'm actually surprised some who do get in these day even give a crap - the entire thing has become such a bad joke that it seems a worthless accolade at this point.

Yup, what he said. When Electric Light Orchestra gets the same award as Chuck Berry, The Beatles, and The Stones, it's a farce.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 14, 2017 05:39

So I guess you don't like ELO's version of "Roll Over, Beethoven" or care for their Beatles connections...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 14, 2017 05:47

Hey Hey the whole show ain't nuffin' till Harmonica Frank gets in ... The guy deserves it for Rock-A-Little Baby .......
the loosest friggin' thing next ta Charlie Feather's - One Hand Loose ...

Them Harmonica Frank Sun recordings are da closet fing ta Huck Finn ever cutting a god damn record ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 14, 2017 08:35

Send It To me
Hairball

Yup, what he said. When Electric Light Orchestra gets the same award as Chuck Berry, The Beatles, and The Stones, it's a farce.

Electric Light Orchestra should have been inducted years ago imo.
When you have Madonna and Run DMC in, and NOT the J.Geils band...now that's a farce!
And where's Motorhead?!
And The Moody blues?!!
And Dick Dale?!!! THE KING of the SURF GUITAR!!! @#$%&!!!
And even Devo for crying out loud!!!!
IT"S ALL A BUNCH of HOGWASH!!!!

drinking smiley

edit: And no Free or Bad Company?!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-14 08:38 by Hairball.

Date: April 14, 2017 16:28

People pretend like it doesn't mean anything but it does. They all say that once they're in. And it probably shouldn't be taken so seriously. I just take it that way for discussions. But for what it is, its like the only award thats not the Grammys that's got this Hall Of Fame myth around it. It feel prestigious when in the last 10 years its become anything but. But I see why people are still honored by it and they probably should. Its good company. I don't think it'll ever fully lose its luster even though the inductions went way downhill after like 2003.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 7, 2017 19:10

loog droog
potus43
There was ONE viable candidate who SHOULD have gotten in. The J Geils Band.

I agree that the J.Geils Band deserves induction.

But if I had to pick ONE candidate from this years batch that should have gotten in--and I bet Peter Wolf would agree with me--it would be JOE TEX.

Joe Tex had a bunch of classic Soul hits back in the day, and unlike many of his contemporaries, he didn't just sing them, he wrote them too.

Check out this TV clip, especially the verse that begins at 1:30...

[www.youtube.com]

...right in the middle of this song about love, he just drops this chilling description of the reality of how to survive as a black man in 1960's America. A devastating account that he just slipped into what became a chart hit.

Joe Tex wrote of love and women in some ways that may seem old-fashioned now, but it was a product of it's time, and even if some are offended by his un-pc ideas of the role of men and women, there is such a timeless joy in his music that you can't help but dance to it.

The man had a wild sense of humor, but it was knowing and good-natured, and even when he was joking he presented as a man of dignity.

Joe Tex was never anybody's fool.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

In a just world, Joe Tex should have been inducted years ago, and his producer Buddy Killen would be in there too.

But he's not entirely forgotten:

[www.youtube.com]

thank you for this. thumbs up he had dropped out of my field of view but i agree whole heartedly & hadn't gone this deep...wouldn't have without you. An enormous talent, distinctly original, even courageous songs.
I remember his radio hits and one or two of these performances. he was awesome.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2569
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home