Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: OT: Rock Hall Inductees Are Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur, Journey, Yes, Electric Light Orchestra and Joan Baez
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 20, 2016 22:40

RollingFreak
keefriff99
Journey has had a pretty remarkable career, and they still sell out sheds all over the world. They're certainly not MY type of band, but their success is undeniable.

You make a good point though...there really should be a higher standard than just sticking around long enough and being popular. How about impact, influence, artistic contribution? By that metric, then yeah, the Misfits ABSOLUTELY deserve a place in the Hall before a band like Journey, who are basically a fast-food pop-rock band...pleasant enough to listen to, but ultimately inconsequential.
We differ on "remarkable" career. Again, I don't begrudge anyone's tastes, or opinions if you don't like them and are just sticking up for them. To me, their "career" is one song. Its Don't Stop Believing and we all know that. And its a great song and they should be praised more than other bands of that time. But they hardly changed things, I hardly think they are still relevant today. They don't REALLY sell out sheds. They do decent summer business, when on a bill with 3 other bands. To me that is not what a hall of fame band makes.

I agree, it shouldn't just be popularity and relevance, but for the Hall to say it has nothing to do with that. Thats ridiculous, and its wrong because it should. Other bands were bigger than most and they should be honored. They should be honored when they MAINTAINED that relevance, even after breaking up. If a band like Journey gets in, to me that means anyone with a hit can get in. I love Grand Funk Railroad, I'm not saying they should be in the Hall of Fame! There's levels. Someone I don't like as much like, the Eagles say, deserve it way more than Grand Funk Railroad. They did way more. Just how I feel. I think we generally agree on that point, but it just gets me angry. Mainly cause it was a good hall then they totally ruined it.
I'm being overly-nice to Journey, I think...my friend is a big fan and has dragged me to see them several times, so maybe I'm being kinder than I normally would be to that style of music.

You are right though...they usually pad their attendance by teaming up with other acts of the era. I saw them with Def Leppard once, and another time with Heart and Cheap Trick (Heart blew both of them off the stage).

Re: OT: Rock Hall Inductees Are Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur, Journey, Yes, Electric Light Orchestra and Joan Baez
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 20, 2016 22:55

black n blue
Keith and mick have worked with peter a Wolf and the boys have opened for the stones. Journey sucks and was booed off the stage 1981 at Rich stadium.
So was Prince. Not that I'll stick up for Journey, but people can frequently be wrong about opening acts. Their being booed means nothing.

Date: December 20, 2016 23:26

RollingFreak
keefriff99
Journey has had a pretty remarkable career, and they still sell out sheds all over the world. They're certainly not MY type of band, but their success is undeniable.

You make a good point though...there really should be a higher standard than just sticking around long enough and being popular. How about impact, influence, artistic contribution? By that metric, then yeah, the Misfits ABSOLUTELY deserve a place in the Hall before a band like Journey, who are basically a fast-food pop-rock band...pleasant enough to listen to, but ultimately inconsequential.
We differ on "remarkable" career. Again, I don't begrudge anyone's tastes, or opinions if you don't like them and are just sticking up for them. To me, their "career" is one song. Its Don't Stop Believing and we all know that. And its a great song and they should be praised more than other bands of that time. But they hardly changed things, I hardly think they are still relevant today. They don't REALLY sell out sheds. They do decent summer business, when on a bill with 3 other bands. To me that is not what a hall of fame band makes.

I agree, it shouldn't just be popularity and relevance, but for the Hall to say it has nothing to do with that. Thats ridiculous, and its wrong because it should. Other bands were bigger than most and they should be honored. They should be honored when they MAINTAINED that relevance, even after breaking up. If a band like Journey gets in, to me that means anyone with a hit can get in. I love Grand Funk Railroad, I'm not saying they should be in the Hall of Fame! There's levels. Someone I don't like as much like, the Eagles say, deserve it way more than Grand Funk Railroad. They did way more. Just how I feel. I think we generally agree on that point, but it just gets me angry. Mainly cause it was a good hall then they totally ruined it.

Rolling Freak, I don't quite agree that "one album only" should hold up as an argument against a and getting in; or vice versa, that many albums, and long career equal a good career.
The Sex Pistols, and arguable Nirvana only did one album - yet in their cases, as with the MC5 - this album was vital to the evolution of popular music.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: December 20, 2016 23:31

While we're all arguing/defending/discussing this year's B- and C-list inductees and nominees, I note that neither Link Wray nor Dick Dale are in the HoF. Need I say more?

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: December 20, 2016 23:33

If a Journey is in why not Herman's Hermits or Paul Revere & The Raiders or The Monkees?

They all seem to fit and surpass the criteria (record sales and sold out venues) used to put Journey in. Except the 60's bands actually influenced future acts. Journey has influenced nobody or nothing.

Date: December 20, 2016 23:42

Palace Revolution 2000
RollingFreak
keefriff99

Rolling Freak, I don't quite agree that "one album only" should hold up as an argument against a and getting in; or vice versa, that many albums, and long career equal a good career.
The Sex Pistols, and arguable Nirvana only did one album - yet in their cases, as with the MC5 - this album was vital to the evolution of popular music.

I don't disagree, and I know the MC5 are really beloved by people. They aren't one of my favorites although I like that album and Kick Out The Jams is a great song. I do think they are different than the Sex Pistols or Nirvana, or Guns N Roses who essentially had one album and I'm a massive fan of theirs. People don't seem to cite the MC5 quite the same way as those other ones. I would question whether the album was "vital to the evolution of popular music" but again I know they are beloved. I truly don't know enough about them to argue it properly, which in all honesty I feel many others are incapable of at least admitting. Of the list we were given, they were right up there with those I thought should go in. But just compared to others that aren't in and I think should be, and people that are going in this year like Yes and Pearl Jam which I feel are very deserved, they aren't ones I'm really fighting for. If they had more albums that were universally loved I would maybe feel different.

You're right that a long career and more albums doesn't necessarily mean a good career. Look at the Stones. But at least with the Stones they have numerous albums that are flat out amazing. With other rock acts that get put in, thats what I judge them against. They can't be the Stones or the Beatles or those guys, but I do think there's a scale and thats what I weigh them against. Some feel like they fit, others don't.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 20, 2016 23:53

Palace Revolution 2000
RollingFreak
keefriff99

Sex Pistols made it for the statement they made for punk rock, and the album is considered by many to be the best punk rock album ever. Nirvana had 4 amazing albums, not 1 (actually 5 since Unplugged is also an album, and also amazing).

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 20, 2016 23:59

J.Geils body of work is so superior to journey it's not even funny

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: December 21, 2016 00:01

Woz
I can't stand Pearl Jam.

Everyone has an opinion Woz have you ever seen them live?
They are still a hard rocking band... and still put out decent albums
The Cars first two albums were in my cassette deck daily, I would have liked to see them get in.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 21, 2016 00:08

RollingFreak
Hairball
As I probably said at this time last year - this inductees list is mostly b*llshit, and the concept of a 'Rock Hall of Fame' has become a bad joke.

ELO - perhaps (they had alot of hits).
Joan Baez - no.
Journey - no.
Pearl Jam - no.
Tupac Shakur - absolutely not.
Yes - maybe.

Who should have been in from the nominee list:
J.Geils Band - they make Journey sound like the Archies.
Janes Addiction - if Pearl Jam is in, this is a no-brainer.
MC5 - "Kick out the jams motherf*cker"!!!

Guess thats what makes horse races. ELO and Yes are a maybe and Pearl Jam is a flat no? To me thats ridiculous. I get that they are all acquired tastes but Yes laid groundwork with prog, ELO (as you said) had tones of hits and Jeff Lynne is a genius in his own right (I'll accept people don't think ELO should be in but that Jeff Lynne 100% should be on his own), and Pearl Jam still sell out arenas. I think the J Geils Band are great, but that they should absolutely go in when the others are maybes and nos? To me, thats laughable, but again thats what makes music interesting. MC5, I get the influence but its essentially one album. I'm not against it, but Yes and ELO have way more to their credit than them. And Jane's Addiction? No problem with them but comparing them to Pearl Jam is insane. Pearl Jam still play arenas. You don't have to like them, but they are still a big draw. Thats the whole point, they are still relevant, at least to enough people. Jane's Addiction isn't at this time, so while they should maybe go in later, comparing them to Pearl Jam I think is far off. They stayed big and relevant and thats the honor.

People not liking Pearl Jam? You don't have to, they are the only band carrying the rock torch the last 20 years. They are still around from 1990. Not many others are, and they are still filling arenas doing it. They were honestly the only no brainer on this list, besides Yes. It boggles my mind, but again its what makes the race.

To be honest, this entire thread is a waste of precious time and I won't waste anymore of it by debating with you.
The Rock Hall of Fame is DOGSHIT...period.

Date: December 21, 2016 00:11

umakmehrd
Woz
I can't stand Pearl Jam.

Everyone has an opinion Woz have you ever seen them live?
They are still a hard rocking band... and still put out decent albums
The Cars first two albums were in my cassette deck daily, I would have liked to see them get in.

I think The Cars and the J Geils Band should have replaced Tupac and Journey on the ballot. I have no problem with MC5 or The Zombies (Oddsey and Oracle is one of the greatest albums of all time) as well, but if we were talking about my best 6 from what we were given (in terms of preference and uniqueness), it would probably be 4 of what we got and those 2 replacing what also made the final cut.

Re: OT: DOGSHIT Inductees Are
Posted by: HankM ()
Date: December 21, 2016 00:43

The Rock Hall of Fame DOGSHIT is DOGSHIT...period.

It does not qualify as a proper HOF. It is DOGSHIT...period.

A more correct name would THE DOGSHIT DOGSHIT RUN BY DOGSHIT

Those comments are only the effort or thought this DOGSHIT deserves

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: December 21, 2016 01:02

There's Journey....and then there's...

The Guess Who

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-21 01:04 by palerider22.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 21, 2016 01:06

RollingFreak
DaveG
When I think Rock N Roll, I think Joan Baez.
Girl was a major Dylan person before many of us. Not a fan of hers, but she's had a life and been around the rock world for awhile now. Of the pretty sh**ty list they gave us, I see no problem with her. Tupac and Journey are my gripes this year, but again there wasn't much to replace them with. Probably The Cars and J Geils Band, but even still thats pushing it. They just don't have good lists anymore, and thats largely because they've inducted most of the people that should already be in.

I agree. My issue is not with Joan Baez, she is a true artist, very influential. My issue is with the charade called the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. As we have said for many years, either call it something else or stick to rock and roll artists/groups.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 21, 2016 01:13

I've seen Pearl Jam several times and have all their albums. That being said...they just don't seem like R&R HOF material.

Date: December 21, 2016 01:51

timmyj3
If a Journey is in why not Herman's Hermits or Paul Revere & The Raiders or The Monkees?

They all seem to fit and surpass the criteria (record sales and sold out venues) used to put Journey in. Except the 60's bands actually influenced future acts. Journey has influenced nobody or nothing.

thats not the criteria to get into the HOF

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: December 21, 2016 02:04

Tpa Pac ...? Bad Brains ... NO J Geils...? Come on MAN........ YOU ARE SHITTING ME, RIGHT ?

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 21, 2016 02:29

Peter Wolf alone would be a better choice then all the Rappers and others in my opinion

Date: December 21, 2016 08:24

keefriffhard4life
timmyj3

thats not the criteria to get into the HOF

They say that but its not the case. People like Green Day, people like Guns N Roses, people like Tupac get in because they sold a lot of records and are still relevant. If they weren't, the Hall wouldn't care. Basically, if they think you're cool you'll be going in, which does indeed make it a popularity contest. Which is sad, because it once was and could have been the home of great and underrated but massively influential rock bands. Hasn't been that way for awhile.

And record sales and popularity SHOULD factor into it, and they know that. I firmly believe to get in you should have been one of these three things, but preferably 2 or all of them:

1. Massively popular/have an impressive amount in record sales (good example of those are Rush and KISS, who many hate but indeed have impressive numbers)

2. Had a consistent career or a consistent run of albums for a significant period of time (The Stones are a perfect example of this. The Moody Blues are a very good example of this. Alice Cooper Group, Dire Straits. A "golden era" if you will)

3. Massively influential in the music world or specifically amongst rock musicians and future Hall Of Fames (Deep Purple is a shining example of this. Maybe never had the sales or break in America, but everyone knows Smoke On The Water as a guitar riff and many of their other songs. And so many musicians would cite them as the reason they started playing music, Metallica for one. But also a good category for smaller bands like the Misfits, MC5, Sex Pistols. A band that not everyone may know but deserves the respect they didn't get mainstream for influence)

You can make a great Hall from that. They did for many years. And I still think there are a good number that still fit that criteria. Its lost its credibility, but it was at one point an honor. Its unfortunately become all about taste and popularity, which is why the Dave Clark 5 won one year but Jann Wenner wanted a rap act and then the singer of DC5 died before they were inducted the next year. They don't deserve respect anymore, but I do still cling to those criteria and its how I judge it year to year, based off the list they give and who is still consistently ignored.

(another good example: hate him as much as you want, someone like Bon Jovi has never been nominated for the Hall Of Fame. Again, I don't necessarily think he's worthy, but I would induct him over Journey. The man has made some legitimately good and memorable songs, was and still is much bigger than a band like Journey, yet for some reason is totally ignored. A completely unbiased opinion should agree thats a bit odd)

Date: December 21, 2016 08:28

oh trust me bon jovi will be in some day

Date: December 21, 2016 08:39

keefriffhard4life

Just shocked it hasn't happened yet, or any reason has been given why. He may not be well liked amongst Stones fans, and I'm certainly no fan myself, but he's still a major rock star and has been eligible for quite some time. I've long said he must have killed Jann Wenner's dog or something, cause they avoid bringing him up like the plague. But Chic is nominated every year? Just seems odd to me. Guy's been eligible for close to a decade now and I don't think he's ever been nominated.

Date: December 21, 2016 08:42

RollingFreak
keefriffhard4life

Just shocked it hasn't happened yet, or any reason has been given why. He may not be well liked amongst Stones fans, and I'm certainly no fan myself, but he's still a major rock star and has been eligible for quite some time. I've long said he must have killed Jann Wenner's dog or something, cause they avoid bringing him up like the plague. But Chic is nominated every year? Just seems odd to me. Guy's been eligible for close to a decade now and I don't think he's ever been nominated.

well just look at judas priest, grand funk railroad, emerson lake and palmer, etc still waiting to get in

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 21, 2016 14:38

From today's NY Post , Nile Rodgers says he's "shocked" he was chosen to be honored by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with a musical excellence award-but his band Chic was snubbed."I'm always flattered when I get an award...(but)it's shocking to me because Chic was nominated 11 times" "So they plucked me out of the band and said "You're worthy but the band's not worthy".And that sort of makes you feel a little weird." "We had the longest-selling record in Atlantic history" and "No one (before Chic)has had the No 1 pop single with the same song three times ".So will he accept the award at the April ceremony ?"Of course I am. " adding ,"I don't do crazy stuff". This is a joke to me that only Mr. Nile Rodgers is being honored and not the entire band (Chic) . Give Tupac award to Chic .A perfect example of all the bitching directed at Jann Wenner and company .I none the less look forward to the awards ceremony and I will cheer for Mr. Nile Rodgers induction to the Rock Hall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-21 14:41 by TheGreek.

Re: OT: New Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame nominees announced
Posted by: Chester ()
Date: December 21, 2016 16:56

Now don't get me wrong. I am nothing close to being a fan of Boston. I switch the station every time they come on.

That being said, name one band in the last 40 years who has been played more on American radio than Boston. Flip it to a classic rock station right now and they will be on within 15 minutes guaranteed. I'll bet "More Than a Feeling'' has been played more the "Stairway to Heaven'' and "Start Me Up'' combined.

Just so I have this straight: Tupac's in and Boston's not? I couldn't name a Tupac song, rap, or whatever you call it, even if it meant they would take Boston off the air forever if I did.

Date: December 21, 2016 17:17

keefriffhard4life
RollingFreak
keefriffhard4life

well just look at judas priest, grand funk railroad, emerson lake and palmer, etc still waiting to get in

They're heavy metal and prog though and everyone knows the Hall is very biased against those things. Bon Jovi is mainstream, successful and still relevant, so its hard to imagine why he hasn't even been nominated.

Chester
Now don't get me wrong. I am nothing close to being a fan of Boston. I switch the station every time they come on.

That being said, name one band in the last 40 years who has been played more on American radio than Boston. Flip it to a classic rock station right now and they will be on within 15 minutes guaranteed. I'll bet "More Than a Feeling'' has been played more the "Stairway to Heaven'' and "Start Me Up'' combined.

Just so I have this straight: Tupac's in and Boston's not? I couldn't name a Tupac song, rap, or whatever you call it, even if it meant they would take Boston off the air forever if I did.

I see that argument, and I could imagine it. My guess would be that its just one album, and its basically 2 or 3 songs. They aren't as much of a "name" even as Journey. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that I see it, and it is an excellent album, but if I'm grasping at reasons I'd say its cause people know the song more than the band whereas Journey is a band everyone can name. But again, all speculation on my part.

Date: December 21, 2016 17:21

Is Journey a band everybody can name? I know Neal Schon's playing very well (mainly from his Santana-stint, though), but I don't think I can name a Journey-song.

Then again, I'm not american...

Date: December 21, 2016 17:55

Whether or not Journey belongs in the hall or not they do have an impressive catalog of mega hits ,which they owned the charts in the 80's .

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 21, 2016 18:13

“The J. Geils Band bridged the gap between the traditional blues of John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters, R&B acts such as Don Covay and Little Milton, and straight up ’70s rock and roll emulated by bands such as Savoy Brown, the Faces and the Rolling Stones. They helped popularize so many classic Hall of Fame-recognized bluesmen and soul artists by covering their music.”

Which probably would have been enough to warrant induction. But in the following decade, they pulled off the rare feat: they were an established band who actually found a new, younger audience. “They became ’80s pop music sensations with a series of hits, namely ‘Freeze Frame‘ [#1 in US for 4 weeks] and ‘Centerfold‘ [#1 for 6 weeks].”

[wzlx.cbslocal.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 21, 2016 18:31

The HOF is WAAAY overbloated with too many who don't belong, and some glaring omissions (Geils, Cars, etc.). And, hell, maybe they don't belong either. About 25 acts max have a strong case, the others not so much.

Joan Baez is a great talent (not my cup of tea), but no one would consider her music rock by any definition. Ditto Tupac, Madonna, etc.

At least Journey owned a few electric guitars!

Date: December 21, 2016 19:05

It is a sin and a travesty of justice that the J. Geils band is not in the hallowed halls of Cleveland .Every time I have seen them in performance they have killed in such a true rock and roll fashion and plus WHEN they do get INDUCTED we will be blessed with a reunion of Mr.Geils with his bandmates

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2553
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home